Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 days ago by jasonspoint28
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20 (resized).JPG
5 (resized).JPG
BB21146C-158C-469B-A58A-66EC6AA4D300 (resized).jpeg
6B98F6EB-3F33-4C86-ACD9-14C370DFA513 (resized).jpeg

#1 72 days ago

I just installed a repro "Gold Strike" backglass into a game I'm bringing to the White Rose show. It didn't want to fit width-wise. I laid the new glass over the original one, and saw that it's about 1/4" wider. It is also thicker than the original one.
In order to make it fit, I began to chisel off the small wooden block in the backbox, which stops the glass from moving to the right. I must have tried fitting the glass at least four or five times after each round of chiseling, but it still wouldn't go. Finally, I removed the plastic stop on the left inside edge of the back box, which is held in by one screw. Now, the glass fit. I noticed that the plastic stop had a taper to it which corresponds with the taper of the wedge head lightbox. So, I slid the wedge down along the left edge of the backglass, until it rested snug again the glass. Then, I marked a new hole for the screw, removed the glass again, and reinstalled the plastic wedge slightly above where it was originally. Now the glass can't shift laterally, and luckily the alignment with the score reels is perfect.
As I said, the new glass is also thicker, so the lightbox insert fit very tightly against the glass when I swung it closed and locked it with the lever. I guess I could have used some washers behind the hinge brackets to give it a little more room, but I'll leave it snug.
Just thought I'd share this, and has anyone else here had problems fitting a repro backglass into a game?

#2 72 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I just installed a repro "Gold Strike" backglass into a game I'm bringing to the White Rose show. It didn't want to fit width-wise. I laid the new glass over the original one, and saw that it's about 1/4" wider. It is also thicker than the original one.
In order to make it fit, I began to chisel off the small wooden block in the backbox, which stops the glass from moving to the right. I must have tried fitting the glass at least four or five times after each round of chiseling, but it still wouldn't go. Finally, I removed the plastic stop on the left inside edge of the back box, which is held in by one screw. Now, the glass fit. I noticed that the plastic stop had a taper to it which corresponds with the taper of the wedge head lightbox. So, I slid the wedge down along the left edge of the backglass, until it rested snug again the glass. Then, I marked a new hole for the screw, removed the glass again, and reinstalled the plastic wedge slightly above where it was originally. Now the glass can't shift laterally, and luckily the alignment with the score reels is perfect.
As I said, the new glass is also thicker, so the lightbox insert fit very tightly against the glass when I swung it closed and locked it with the lever. I guess I could have used some washers behind the hinge brackets to give it a little more room, but I'll leave it snug.
Just thought I'd share this, and has anyone else here had problems fitting a repro backglass into a game?

Yes, I have had an issue with a reroduction BG before size-wise. Not for thickness. Who was the supplier of this repro backglass?

#3 72 days ago

Well the good news is it didn't break in the fitting attempt.

Was this glass done by Ron Webb?

#4 72 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Yes, I have had an issue with a reroduction BG before size-wise. Not for thickness. Who was the supplier of this repro backglass?

I've had this glass for a while, and am not really sure where I got it from.
I know I didn't order it from Ron or Shay, but I think I got it from a dealer or collector. I did bring it to the attention of Steve Young, and he said he's heard about this on repro "Gold Strike" glasses. Not to lay blame, but I believe it's a Shay repro. Also has haloing around the 100,000 and above the score reels. The original is pretty bad, so I'm not really complaining, just pointing out some QC issues which will hopefully be corrected in the future.

#5 72 days ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

Well the good news is it didn't break in the fitting attempt.
Was this glass done by Ron Webb?

No, but I felt like I was pushing my luck every time I had to handle the glass! The fact that it's thicker than the original is actually a good thing, but keep in mind that it might need a little tweaking to get the insert to close without excessive pressure on the glass.

#6 72 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

No, but I felt like I was pushing my luck every time I had to handle the glass!

Sharing your feelings on handling a back glass.

#7 72 days ago

I have had it happen with reproductive glasses, most recently with a Ron Webb Jacks Open glass. I removed the plastic piece and left it off. The fit is so snug I didn't think it was needed.

#8 72 days ago

I find this too weird. Its not hard to measure to within a 1/16 th of an inch. How is it even possible that someone would spend the time to generate the art and cut the wrong size glass! Is it the case that originals vary substantially? Seems not unless they sat down with a pile of glass on the assembly line and sorted through until whichever one they picked up happened to work with the head on the production line. That seems unlikely....

So what gives? Amateur hour or expected variation? Just curious.

#9 72 days ago
Quoted from rufessor:

I find this too weird. Its not hard to measure to within a 1/16 th of an inch. How is it even possible that someone would spend the time to generate the art and cut the wrong size glass! Is it the case that originals vary substantially? Seems not unless they sat down with a pile of glass on the assembly line and sorted through until whichever one they picked up happened to work with the head on the production line. That seems unlikely....

That extra touch of Quality and Originality.....

#10 72 days ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Amateur hour. The old carpenter saying of measure twice cut once applies here. I won't name names but one back glass make had to eat one because his contractor measured it incorrectly. And the art was on.

#11 71 days ago

JR: have bad a couple games where glass fit tight due to thickness and in one case it scratched the glass. So put thin felt pads on glass where it was opaque. Protected the class well.

1 week later
#12 61 days ago

I had the same issue with one I found on eBay back in March. Couldn’t figure out why it fit so poorly. Mystery solved! Out with the old, in with the new. That’s a little better, eh?

6B98F6EB-3F33-4C86-ACD9-14C370DFA513 (resized).jpegBB21146C-158C-469B-A58A-66EC6AA4D300 (resized).jpeg
#13 61 days ago

Damn, your original is way worse than mine was!

#14 60 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Damn, your original is way worse than mine was!

It was kept in an outdoor Wisconsin storage shed for lord knows how long. It certainly has a good patina and lots of “character”.

#15 59 days ago

I had an Eight Ball backglass once that was too small. Just enough height wise that we thought it might fall out of the cabinet, so we had to add an extra piece of trim on the top channel so it would have something to rest against.

I bought it as a repro but was thinking maybe it was out of some run of Eight Ball that was slightly smaller or something. Strangest thing I ever saw, it was maybe 3/8" short. Really nice silk screened piece though that looked perfect.

Found a picture... if you look close you can see the extra piece we had to add at the top. You can see the width wasn't quite right either, I guess the plastic trim would have helped though.

5 (resized).JPG

20 (resized).JPG
#16 59 days ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I had an Eight Ball backglass once that was too small. Just enough height wise that we thought it might fall out of the cabinet, so we had to add an extra piece of trim on the top channel so it would have something to rest against.
I bought it as a repro but was thinking maybe it was out of some run of Eight Ball that was slightly smaller or something. Strangest thing I ever saw, it was maybe 3/8" short. Really nice silk screened piece though that looked perfect.
Found a picture... if you look close you can see the extra piece we had to add at the top. You can see the width wasn't quite right either, I guess the plastic trim would have helped though.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice job getting it to work, looks good! Adapt and overcome!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 75.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 295.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 149.00
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 9.99
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Various Other Swag
Third Coast Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside