(Topic ID: 13274)

Overrated/Underrated Alphanumeric Pins

By kwiKimart

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

startrek.jpg
    C4.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    AM.jpeg

#1 12 years ago

Since there is already a thread for over/under DMD's, let's add one for alphanumeric pins as well.

Overrated: Funhouse
    Underrated: Bad Cats

#2 12 years ago

Tough topic with so many alphanumeric pins to think about it.

Over: Bride of Pinbot

Under: Space Station

#3 12 years ago

Over. Centaur
    under. Class of 1812

#4 12 years ago

With no reasons to back why, what's the point?

#5 12 years ago

Overrated: Taxi
    Underrated: Mousin' Around!

#6 12 years ago

Centaur because i find it slow, boring and slightly offensive.

Class o 1812 because it is campy.

#7 12 years ago

Technically, Centaur is not an alphanumeric pin.

#8 12 years ago

I haven't found an alphanumeric pin I didn't like. Even if the layout was awkward, there was at least some cool sounds/music to make it enjoyable...

Funhouse, BOP, overrated?
    My ass!
    Try classic...
    When I start seeing alphanumerics hit the $10K and beyond mark THEN we can start this thread.
    Underrated alpha pins on the other hand...

My vote of course,
    Grand Lizard!

#9 12 years ago

I wasnt sure Gweem, sorry.

I admit that i dont know what an alphanumeric pin is. Now i need to apologize to a.n. pins as the next step?

#10 12 years ago

Alphanumerics have displays that show text as well as numbers. I believe the first alphanumeric game was High Speed in 1986. At least, it was the first B/W game that I know of.

Edit: I just looked it up, and Gottlieb beat them to it with Chicago Cubs Triple Play in 1985.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Funhouse, BOP, overrated?
    My ass!

What? A classic can't be overrated? BOP is a classic, and I enjoy the pin. Just not near as much as alot of people.

Love me some Grand Lizard btw!

#12 12 years ago

I don't think alphanumerics can be called "overrated". Their gameplay to $$$ ratio is still too good compared to their DMD counterparts. A Funhouse, even at $4K+, still blows away most newer pins in the same price range... (gameplay-wise)

"For your health!"

images.jpegimages.jpeg

#13 12 years ago

"Overratted", this guy if full of himself. Leave it at that.

#14 12 years ago

I don't think any of the alphas are overrated. underrated- pinbot at #76...

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bomba:

+1, I saw this post and thought it would be a bit interesting. Two pins I thought would never be listed as overrated A/N's are Funhouse & BOP. So please just end this thread now, it makes no sense!

#16 12 years ago

Slighty off topic - but I found it interesting that the replacement Pascal PI-X4 board adds alphanumeric capabilities to Gottlieb system one games. So my Genie from 1979 is now, technically, an alphanumeric.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

Bomba said:

+1, I saw this post and thought it would be a bit interesting. Two pins I thought would never be listed as overrated A/N's are Funhouse & BOP. So please just end this thread now, it makes no sense!

So because you disagree with someone else's opinion you want to end a thread. Reminds of the kid on the playground, "I'm taking my ball and going home!"

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bomba:

What kind of response is that?

#19 12 years ago

Seriously, this is just a discussion.
    Let the Hawk have his opinion, remember this IS pinball we're talking about!
    No need to get out the pitchforks...

AM.jpegAM.jpeg

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

No need to get out the pitchforks

What if were playing MM Nimble? Can't have an old fashioned peasant revolt without pitchforks!

#21 12 years ago

don't get kwiki all riled up over mm. Worst.game.ever but AFM is the shiznit...

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Worst.game.ever

Says the man with MM in his "wishlist"...

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Says the man with MM in his "wishlist"

I put games I DON'T want on my wishlist, thus causing others to buy them out from underneath me, while I actually pursue the games I really want! Moo hoo hahaha....

OK, back on meds I go.

#24 12 years ago

Pretty sneaky sis! Err... T_G.

C4.jpegC4.jpeg

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

davewth said:

Worst.game.ever

Says the man with MM in his "wishlist"...

I was playing the part of kwiki when i "said" that.

#26 12 years ago

Ahhhh,

startrek.jpgstartrek.jpg

No " " threw me off...

#27 12 years ago

Over: Funhouse
    Under: Robocop, Time Machine

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Overrated: Taxi
    Underrated: Mousin' Around!

+1.

I really enjoy Mousin Around

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I was playing the part of kwiki when i "said" that.

You certainly played that part

#30 12 years ago

over: high speed , ok most of you like the game, from steve the king of flow... i don't, shoot for the ramp, shoot for the ramp, shoot for ... and the most annoying drumbeat in all pinball

under: grand lizard, more things to do, better sound, multi balls...

#31 12 years ago

DINER = OVER!
    No Fear & Mousin Around = UNDER!

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

No Fear & Mousin Around = UNDER!

NF is a DMD, not an A/N.

#33 12 years ago

FH overrated?? I question the time anyone saying this has into this machine.

You can't just look at the head and judge this machine.

#34 12 years ago

I have seldom found anything from that era that didn't have something going for it.
    I like almost all alpha numerics that I have played. They are all fun to me.

#35 12 years ago

Over: Diner
    It is a fun game and very pretty, but for what they go for I just don't think it has the gameplay.

Under: Funhouse
    Granted it is the most expensive alpha you can get. The rules on it are not very deep either. On the other hand it is about as close as you can get to perfection give the technology of its time.

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Under: Funhouse
    Granted it is the most expensive alpha you can get. The rules on it are not very deep either. On the other hand it is about as close as you can get to perfection give the technology of its time.

I agree with you dung. There is no way I would trade my FH for any other system 11 game.

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rick471:

I agree with you dung. There is no way I would trade my FH for any other system 11 game.

I've been corrected on this myself, FH is an early WPC game. Having said that, I can't see where a DMD would add much to FH, they utilized the displays very well.

#38 12 years ago

It's funny the display is being talked about at all in comparing games. I could care less if all my machines were changed to simple numeric. I seldom see any animations.... as I'm playing, and could care less what they are anyway.

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

It's funny the display is being talked about at all in comparing games. I could care less if all my machines were changed to simple numeric. I seldom see any animations.... as I'm playing, and could care less what they are anyway.

True - but with alpha's you had the ability to enter scores WITH initials...come on, that's cool.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

True - but with alpha's you had the ability to enter scores WITH initials...come on, that's cool.

Again, they are all "AEA" at my place, so still don't care.

Of course, that is important when posting highs on my friend's machines

#41 12 years ago

Over Pin-bot *gasp*
    Under EATPM I own it

#42 12 years ago

I think DMD animations have their place, but I rarely watch them while playing.. they're more entertaining when others are playing, or during that brief pause before multiball starts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/overratedunderrated-alphanumeric-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.