Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 197 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by cooked71
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

raven2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ShaneBolda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Was about to mention IJ (Williams)... then I realized I rated it 8.378, to be compared with an average pinside score of 8.450: may be overrated, but not by much!!

This is the game and topic that I Googled because after checking it out today, I can say with confidence that I wouldnt pay $100 for this game... What an utter waste of a priceless license... The game says Indiana Jones....but the playfield vomits Tomb Raider or Jungle Hunt or some other B/C IP.... NOTHING actually IN the machine besides the two prop planes (arguable) are from IJ.... And Im sorry but DMD minigames are LAME... It has nothing to do with Pinball... What a joke... Where's the Golden Idol, bridge, minecart, lava pit, holy grail, ark... do I need to keep going???? GAAAAARBAAAGE!!!

#124 9 years ago

Here is my official overrated list in accordance with NON Stern or Jersey Jack Pinball (though mentioned after)...

ANY GAME THAT IS A MOVIE THEME AND UNORIGINAL... SUCKS... PERIOD.

The only ones I would consider giving credit to at the time are the following:

Monster Bash - Because it is a collaboration of all CLASSIC FILM Universal Monsters... Not just based on ONE theme or thing... What sucks about it? WHY DID THEY HAVE TO DO A VERY LAME UNDERLYING MONSTER ROCK BAND THEME WITH IT???? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??????????

Tron - I absolutely LOVE Tron... It being technology based lends itself to a good pin or vid, as do the elements surrounding the game... And how can you NOT LOVE playing to Daft Punk??? ITS AWESOME! But guess what... STERN MADE IT... And it takes all the mods in the world to correct its lack luster design of how it SHOULD have been done from the start... I LOVE TRON... and would probably like one fully modded.... but... I'll be honest, I strongly dislike Stern's cookie cutter machines and inability to truly do anything really different or innovative in the last 20 years... I would love a TRON machine that is DE-LEGACY'D (original movie poster backglass is a start) and has more of a combined/ retro/ original feel with Daft Punk still thumping in the background..

Wizard of Oz - What a beautifully designed game in every way... And it does a lot of things different and modern... It was well planned in every way, and Jack Guarnieri seems to understand what was missing in the industry... He's pinball's Steve Jobs... However........ The Hobbit???? Really???? Thats the next 4-5 figure collectors game??? WHYYYYY???? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???? Will it sell? Of course... Because collectors cant help but give away their money.... But what a poor follow up in my opinion... You know what would have been FABULOUS to follow up WOZ with?

WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY! It would be PHENOMENAL! It's the perfect IP for an interactive, toy based, diorama, miniature reproduction type game like pinball... And it continues JJP's line of ageless design...

These are just my opinions.. Obviously most of you are going to disagree... Only around 3 machines I like are rated in the top 100, and Im ok with that...

//end of line

#143 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kineticross:

So you think...
    - Johnny Mnemonic
    - Jurassic Park
    - Starship Troopers
    - The Shadow
    and
    - Iron Man
    are some of the worst pinball machines ever created and should have never been made?
    I cannot believe you dissed TRON: Legacy simply because it is a Stern. That's one of the most childish excuses I've heard ever.

Yes... They're lame... Anything based on a "theme" is lame... and that's true for just about any field of work, art, etc... themes are cheesy and typically rely on an already created interest of subject matter or original created art.. Look at Orange County Choppers...their theme bikes are laughing stocks of the motorcycle community...they're business oriented, theme park attraction builds; built for the typical middle American family, TV watching consumer culture.. They're not original artistic pieces... They're not made for bikers... They're not made for outlaws... They're chrome Lego bikes...

Another example... I LOVE METALLICA... BUT I would never buy that pin... The original concepts of the band and art are almost no where to be found... REGARDLESS if one of their friend artists worked on some of it... I'll be fine playing a different original game while listening to Kill'em All... It's another PHONED IN Stern.... The coolest version IMO is the Road Case with the REGULAR live photo (non-corny wannabe Ed Roth art) band backglass OR the Master of Puppets version which I would swap the backglass out on... Problem is... the playfield art sucks and the game is lame... It COULD have been an awesome game but its just another factory machine with a different name and sticker...

#144 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

complaining about $hit you don't like that other people do. embrace having a different opinion.

i do embrace it... passionately... and thats all they are... opinions... just giving mine...

#161 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

considering every single pinball machine is based on a theme

That is true to but I specifically was referring to Film, Music, TV, etc... Pins based off of other people's IP's...

Using an idea, concept, or background "theme" to design a machine around is fine when creating an original product...

#163 9 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

I disagree. The cabinet and backglass on metle are extremely heavy on concept and artwork. If you remove sparky and keep the chair it's basically the ride the lightning cover ( but what's the chair without frying someone in it)The graveyard and cross very master of puppets.. Rattlesnake is on the black album cover. Coffin lock resembles death magnetic cover. Lady justice mode, cross multiball, and other animations support Metallica theme. It has the hetfield skull right below the flippers.. There are multiple M Metallica logos everywhere on pic targets, and speaker grills, as well as the M Metallica star emblem all over pop bumpers and blah blah. Ya got a few guitars here and there and some pistons which mesh we'll with fuel, ya got the hammer which is a gavel and used to be on a concert shirt i used to have which looked identical. Let's not forget about the music and it's integration.... I could prolly keep goin but I'd have to go downstairs and take look and I'm too lazy right now.

As I stated, you'd have to have the MoP or Roadcase versions to have a more authentic Metallica feel, as you've mentioned Sparky pretty much has to be removed removed, and they could have used a normal skeleton or one modeled affter the RtL tour shirt art...

you could keep listing things, but theyre all small minor details that are barely noticeable... the only thing I do notice, is the dominant goofy looking Sparky guy, and the lack of any real album or song concepts as physical toys or games... having MODES named after things doesnt mean shit, and having more band logos is lame.. its another phoned in machine with no real attention to detail OR enthusiasm...

It could have been much better done by you, me, or most other users on here... lets be real! it seems that stern like to spend all of their time trying to make more and more game rules, and just throw some decals on and rebrand it... with one toy in the middle... its boring..

#164 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Many people wanting WOZ or owning it have had to "cope" or "come to terms" with the woz theme. It just isn't indicative of the times, and although they have made it work, I'm sorry, it still ain't cool, and slapping everyone with another wonky oldtimer theme would not have gone over well, and likely would have sunk JJP.
    WOZ was a free license, needed for the first machine, and again, they have made it as cool as possible into the theme, but it's still one of the lamest themes out there (as a theme, not a game, I like it!) next to the likes of Popeye Saves the World. The same theme even 20 years, would have gone over just as bad, in fact worse likely, given all the other great machines and themes in those days.

You know what... I think MOST owners of this machine who bought one just because they COLLECT things are lame and like to waste their money obviously purchasing something they dont even really want but out of some addicvtive necessity to have one...

AND UH... you must be out of touch with reality because in no way is THE WIZARD OF OZ a "wonky old timer theme"... It's a classic and timeless piece of art and production enjoyed by all... I'm 33 and hate musicals, but WoZ is one of the best films ever made and takes everyone back to a wonderful golden age of film and back to a time of imagination and creativity... There's more that can be done (was done) with this IP than ANY OTHER macine ever done.... Its a perfect example of what a theme SHOULD be... It's one of the few, if not ONLY "theme" pins that was done well and with some real attention to detail...

The film/ theme lends itself perfectly to this form of art and it was a great idea... JJP BANKED! and thankfully so we can hope they make more amazing machines...

#165 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I thought it was? I thought I recall there being 50 licenses Jack picked from that would be free at this time? Hmm, it had to have been cheap then I hope.
    Great machine either way, but glad the theme "manned" up a bit for the next one, even though the hobbit movies kinda stink in relation to the LOTR's. Hobbit machine looks f'ing kick ass though, really excited about how that turns out.

so you need a machine to be "manned up'? LOL! this is how youre rating machines and your basis for ragging on WoZ?... LOL... wow ok..

Typical dunderhead needing a "cool manly theme" to validate his pinball machine interest.... As if the modern movie version of THE HOBBIT was BAD ASS.... LOLZ

3 weeks later
    #170 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Wrong. I will take flak for this statement and I'm not a JJP hater as I'm in for The Hobbit LE but WOZ is a terrible theme that appeals to mostly women and children. Somewhere over the Rainbow, come on man be real. Follow the yellow brick, worse even. I'm not homophobic and if you love ur WOZ then I'm happy for you but when I played that game it just felt gay, as in show tunes, bird cage, its raining men kind of way. I'm not saying owning one makes you gay but its not helping either. I'm just kidding, but not really. Let the hate responses begin.

LOL ok buddy... i dont own one...but your right... because a couple of young english boys skipping through the shire together talking about magic is filled with hairy masculine testosterone filled ball sacks....

#178 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Ok I get it, you like men. No problem, nothing wrong with that.

yep you're right.. you got me.... big time

#179 9 years ago

Post edited by ShaneBolda: not worth it

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Yeah, personal attacks and slandering homosexuals is a hoot.

its really just funny that a grown human beings brain even functions that way... laughable

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ShaneBolda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/overrated?tu=ShaneBolda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.