(Topic ID: 35586)

Overpricing Pins. The wave of the future?

By Squeakman

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I can understand if your machine is super nice, but is Fish Tales with a totally faded cabinet and chipped inserts now worth $3200? T2 for $2700? Hurricane $2000? Jokerz $2000? Whirlwind $3000? Is this ever going to end? I feel like the hobby is getting a bit out of control. It seems like the average Joe who doesn't collect or care much about pinball are setting the prices higher and higher these days. Just my opinion. Try not to slam me too hard.

#2 11 years ago

yeah, its crazy.... people want more for their games, but offer you less for yours.... haha

#3 11 years ago

Just cuz the seller is asking that price doesn't mean that's what they are buying them for.., we complained about this before. The buyers will dictate future prices, period!

#4 11 years ago

It's not what you ask.....it's what you get.

#5 11 years ago

Things will equalize... Or they won't. I feel your pain

#6 11 years ago

Well, the good news is pinball is experiencing an amazing renaissance.

The bad news is that DA Simpson's is gonna cost you $3200.

I used to shake my head and laugh at the ridiculous Craigslist prices here on the California central coast. Now I shake my head in amazement when they sell for close to asking price.

Bubble......What bubble?

#7 11 years ago

This is from the guy with a $ 3200 Who Dunnit ?

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from ssbodyman:

This is from the guy with a $ 3200 WHO dunnit ?

Looks like he still has it.

#9 11 years ago

I guess its not the wave of the future it is the current reality

#10 11 years ago

Yep it sucks

#11 11 years ago

Well, tell all them fools to quit buying 'em

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from ssbodyman:

This is from the guy with a $ 3200 WHO dunnit ?

Also sounds to be the nicest one anywhere and has a ccoated pf

#13 11 years ago

Tell me about it, I'm in Australia and looking at getting a Tron LE. 13k FIRM.

#14 11 years ago

People can ask whatever prices they want. It's only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it.

Back when you'd see Medieval Madness selling for $4k, there were people asking $6k for ones in the same condition.

Prices aren't that bad everywhere, but they are going up as demand increases and supply decreases. You say someone has a faded Fish Tales listed for $3200, but I have one listed here for $1850.

#15 11 years ago

Thankfully we have another price complaint thread. Certainly isn't enough of these.

#16 11 years ago

Wrong forum, buying selling advice, which is hidden for me.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from ssbodyman:

I guess its not the wave of the future it is the current reality

That is basically my response. For as long as I have been in pinball (more than 10 years) people have been bitching about the prices going up up up more or less constantly. Yesterday's crazy price is today's steal it seems.

When this trend reverses I guess we will get the requisite flood of people crying about how their collections have halved in value? But people have been calling for that forever as well.

I do remember seeing pictures of people's large DMD collections and thinking "wow, that's $30K worth of games right there". Now that gets you what, 4-5 recent Sterns or so called A-listers.

#19 11 years ago

I know they joke about bubbles but honestly, you can only pay so much for these beloved machines. I love this hobby, playing, fixing, collecting, etc... but at the end of the day there is only so much one will pay for those screws, wires, and pieces of particle board with colorful inserts and paint. Many feel your frustration, but think of it as an investment and ride the wave man. Every bubble bursts, even if people say they wont or don't, and pinball prices will too some day. Real Estate, Gold & Silver, Currencies, Markets, College Debt now at $1 trillion bubble, etc. they all fluctuate and eventually burst.

I'd put my $10k in pins over a mutual fund or 401k any day in todays market, but without getting too far off topic, the value of the dollar is declining which means more of your dollars are required to buy the machines. When the kids of the 70's, 80's, 90's, get older and priorities/life styles change, when they go to sell, you may find yourself a deal... but as far as right now in today's market and the lack of the dollars purchasing power, be prepared to pay $4.5k for a late 70's Playboy...

Just my 2 cents.

#20 11 years ago

It's only over priced if it doesn't sell.

I hate it as I got in when they started skyrocketing so building a collection will kill me. I guess I'm part of the problem as I overpaid last year but now those prices would be deals. Sorry everyone.

#21 11 years ago

Man I think it's going to blow up a lot more. Even gamers on video game forums are all talkin about getting pinball machines. Two years ago you never heard that. The whole video game generation from the late 80- 90s are getting older. They have more money, they want a hobby where they can do something more than look at a screen. What's the next thing down the pipe? PINBALL! Just my opinion

#22 11 years ago

My theory was if I ever wanted to play these games again on a regular basis was that I had to buy them, and If I didn't do it soon I never would be able to. They only made so many of each title and
    more and more people want them from here to Katmandu. Basic economics, supply and demand!

#23 11 years ago

I think with 5-7k NIB Sterns the norm, it is understandable to see pins that use to be 1-2.5k going for 2-4k or more. Everything that was/is affordable is much more in demand and supply is unchanged.

#24 11 years ago

I sold my T2 for $1,500 last month. It took a month of advertising to get a sale. I am not sure about this high price stuff simply don't pay it.

#25 11 years ago

Yet Again: less pins built by Stern vrs 20 plus years ago by Bally/Williams and a Ton of pins parted out and horded= less pins FS. Beyond the pricing insanity here, you can still find a few "Gems" FS on Mr. pinball. With the wave of new $$$, only going to get worse before it gets better! SpOoKs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/overpricing-pins-the-wave-of-the-future and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.