Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E8FD626D-B0BD-4B67-A849-98D24707C256 (resized).jpeg
BC2EE6D7-A3AD-43EB-AD54-4F5583479039 (resized).jpeg
6D46F729-7C45-4B7A-9484-742F30484A65 (resized).jpeg
over (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I've got a Checkpoint that I'd love to put an overlay on, but I'm not sure I have the skills to strip the entire PF to install it properly. That got me thinking about if putting an overlay on top of a playfield protector would work. So, I searched around and found that Pinball Center actually makes some printed playfield overlay protectors, but unfortunately not for the machine I want it for. They do however have just the overlay.

Why is this a horrible idea?

#2 1 year ago

it is your game, do what you want. People bash playfield protectors, but I love them for older games, EMs, classic bally and sterns.

#3 1 year ago

It might be okish, but there are several potential problems:
- the protector may be able to move a bit. This could make things not line up properly (temporarily) and look a little funny. It would also make this potential movement very visible. It also might not move at all..
- the overlay could get worn out from direct contact. I believe most people put a protector OVER an overlay
- you would have a space between where the lights shine through an insert and where the insert artwork is. This may look funny.
- you would have to trim a bunch of stuff off the overlay if you’re afraid to remove all the parts.

What if you trimmed the overlay to match the protector, then found a way to attach it to the underside of the protector? That’s not perfect either, but it seems a bit better than sticking it on top (at least to me). It would kinda be like a low level “Hardtop” (I installed one of those, too)

FYI, I’ve got a couple protectors (on Paragon and PinBot) but no overlays…

Jeff

#4 1 year ago

First of all, you shouldn't be using overlays period (IMO).

Second, I don't think it would even work. Like others said, it'll move around a lot, and I imagine the overlay covers a lot of areas that the protector doesn't. So you'd have weird bits and pieces hanging off the overlay and a lot of things wouldn't line up. People do bash PF protectors, but I've used quite a few of them and I think they're great!

#5 1 year ago

I've had machines with overlays, I've installed an overlay, I've done a playfield swap, and I've played hardtops.

I have yet to have an overlay that was perfect. I had a horrible experience with a classic arcade overlay off of ebay and they can eat a bag of dildos as far as I'm concerned. See thread here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-overlay-disapointed-pics-inside#post-5811500

Yes, stripping down and sanding a playfield is not easy, but its dooable. I ended up stripping the playfield, sanding it, installing an overlay, and then going to a full playfield swap after seeing the quality of the overlay which was missing art... but you couldn't tell until after it was installed.

I have a Flash Gordon with an overlay and it's stunning, but it was done years ago when there were no other options and an automotive clearcoat was applied afterwards. Yet it is still misalligned in places and is missing some art. See video.

I would estimate the time commitiment to do a full playfield swap to be maybe 30% more than an overlay on a machine of that vintage if you can find a good swap candidate or a repro.

I have seen overlays installed and not cleared and the results are not great. Overlays wear out over time. You really need to throw a playfield protector on top. I've installed a couple of playfield protectors and the games play just fine to me afterwards. I'd check out a regional show and try and play a bare overlay, hardtop, and playfield protector to see if I cared at all were I you. All in all, by the time you install an overlay and throw on a playfield protector you are more than half way in price to a new repro playfield.

If you've got the dough I'd go playfield swap. It's not the technical ability so much as remembering where everything goes and taking good photos. You will have to resolder a couple of connectors, but in general these are on large vuks and its the easiest soldering you can do.

Good luck in any case!

over (resized).jpgover (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago

Appreciate the comments. It was a random thought and I knew there’d be issues but wanted to talk it out. Great points Grangeomatic . A low end hardtop is exactly what I was thinking of it being like. If the game I wanted the overlay for had a hardtop I’d definitely go that route. I’ve played on one at a show with the guys from OE and thought it was fantastic.

I asked pinball center for a real world picture of the Checkpoint overlay, all the reds are literally hot pink. So forget that! Might just throw a protector on it to preserve what’s not damaged.

#7 1 year ago

I have just fitted a full set of playfield insert decals and a protector over the top on Taxi, couldn't be happier with the cost and effort.
Inserts and playfield were in a bad condition
I would imagine an overlay would be a similar thing.

6D46F729-7C45-4B7A-9484-742F30484A65 (resized).jpeg6D46F729-7C45-4B7A-9484-742F30484A65 (resized).jpegBC2EE6D7-A3AD-43EB-AD54-4F5583479039 (resized).jpegBC2EE6D7-A3AD-43EB-AD54-4F5583479039 (resized).jpegE8FD626D-B0BD-4B67-A849-98D24707C256 (resized).jpegE8FD626D-B0BD-4B67-A849-98D24707C256 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/overlay-on-top-of-pf-protector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.