New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 98840)

Overfused pinball machines

By chad

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by _litz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I know this is not new news by any means but it never ceases to amaze me what I find. Gottlieb Sinbad ss had 3 of the 5 bottom panel fuses installed at 25 amp slo blo. I think the only thing that saved this game was the fact that most if not all the pins were green/ blue or had fallen apart.....

#2 6 years ago

Most pins I've bought that were routed at some point had incorrect fuses scattered about. Recently bought a JD that had 11 incorrect fuses. No 25's tho thank goodness

#3 6 years ago

When I was new to the hobby, I learned this the hard way. I had just acquired a heavily routed WhirlWind that had a couple of wires that had come off a few of the solenoids; unfortuantely, I did not notice the overfusing. I reconnected and literally had flames shooting out of the back box. Since then I have learned to check the fuses, as well as solenoids before powering on a game, and learned a ton rebuilding that machine.

#4 6 years ago

Yea, it is quite amazing how some people "fix" problems causing a fuse to blow. I always check EVERY fuse in a new acquisition. I take any wrong fuses found and put them back in my fuse collection.

Most are within an amp or 2 of what they are supposed to be.

Never found any 25 amp slow blow. You might as well solder a wire across that fuse holder.

#5 6 years ago

After reading this thread, am going to check all the fuses on my machines right now.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from njPinWiz:

After reading this thread, am going to check all the fuses on my machines right now.

Seconded.

#7 6 years ago

I had a customer when I worked @ Greater Southern (they used to be the bally/wms distributor in the GA area) who routinely "found" his shorts by installing a 1" long piece of 1/4" nail in the fuse holder.

He looked for the smoke.

It was very common for his games (and others) to come in for service with either nails, or tinfoil, installed to bypass the fuses. Their modus operandi was basically "do whatever it took to keep the quarters coming in the slots" until/unless it was no longer viable for the thing to keep going.

It's kinda like driving a car whose engine has no oil. You can keep giving it gas, and it will keep going, until you reach the point where the friction exceeds the available horsepower and the motor stops turning.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 53.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 16.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 2.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 10.00
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 13.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside