• Chicago Gaming 22 votes
    56%
  • JJP 3 votes
    8%
  • Stern 14 votes
    36%

(39 votes)

#1 1 year ago

Thinking of buying my first NiB pinball in several years. Is there one company that has less overall issues than the others with NiB machines?

I have heard stern is having issues with the spike systems and only covers it for 60 days under warranty. Additionally I had a dealer tell me that MB by Chicago Gaming was built like a tank and had very few issues by comparison. I know very little about JJP but their machines look amazing.

#2 1 year ago

CGC games are the only ones I have bought NIB and where perfect out the box. The Stern and JJP games I bougth NIB all had issues out the box.

#3 1 year ago

My Sterns have been pretty reliable.
My JJP had a few issues

#4 1 year ago

I have bought all three of the CGC remakes and they have been rock solid. I highly recommend them. CGC also has the best warranty.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

I have bought all three of the CGC remakes and they have been rock solid. I highly recommend them. CGC also has the best warranty.

Wonderful info, thank you!

#6 1 year ago

all manufacturers have small issues to some degree or another, all with different parts of the game. and regardless of warranty, with the right distributor you’ll get taken care of. bottom line is you should decide which game you like to play the most, and that should be the only deciding factor. IMO.

#7 1 year ago

I had a CGC Monster Bash on route for a year. With thousands of plays it hasn't given me any issues.

#8 1 year ago

Stern for me..... mine have been issue free.

JJP with Wonka I must have spent 20 hours getting that to work and play right.

#9 1 year ago

CGC.........perfect out of the box

Sterns......minor adjustments needed

#10 1 year ago

I really appreciate the feedback everyone! Thanks a bunch!

#11 1 year ago

They all need stuff usually fixed or tweaked. My cgc afm needed a few things fixed right away, but that's pinball.

#12 1 year ago

Depends on what you consider issues. All three have had issues. The severity of which is what is at odds. It really comes down to luck of the draw. Every manufacturer has issues. To date, I have not had major issues with any of the three. Minor issues in all three. Nothing that's prevented game play though.

#13 1 year ago

It seems like all of them need something when new.

CGC--MM had main board fail within three hours, they replaced it right away and after that just typical maintenance for 20,000 plays. AFM needed several adjustments when new. Monster Bash has been the most solid of the three thus far, had to adjust Drac and that was it.
Stern--Operated probably 80% of their titles in the past ten years. Usually something isn't quite up to par, or a gameplay issue that appears in the first 1000 plays that wasn't caught at the factory. Weak early code is not unusual. Nothing too difficult to handle. I have had some node boards fail, one being a CPU board. In my experience, Stern will stand behind their product.
JJP--Almost always something needs adjusting. With so much stuff in their games I just expect to need to spend time tweaking everything. JJP has always made things right for me.
Spooky--Limited experience with these guys. Adjusting things is pretty common. Mechs don't seem to be as robust as other mfrs.
American Pinball--Getting better with each title. Houdini needed a number of adjustments, Oktoberfest needed some adjusting. Hot Wheels is pretty solid and I'll bet I haven't had to spend more than an hour fixing things since new. Excellent support.

I agree with titanpenguin in that luck of the draw does play a part. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the current manufacturers. It is really common sense, but expect more problems if you have an early production game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!