6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dnapac
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Ok, this may be the vodka talking. Has anyone thought about 3D printing the boxes, and possibly the playfields. I'm not talking the artwork, just the structure. I know Spooky 3D prints their plastics. This would possibly solve the splitting and denting problems. The box would be seamless. Then again, I don't know how durable the stuff that is used for printing. Maybe it'd be too heavy. I know they are making bigger printers and starting to do all sorts of things. Just a thought.

#2 6 years ago

Must be good vodka!

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Must be good vodka!

Guess I'll have another. I have the best ideas with vodka, and play the best pinball...although my scores always suck.

#4 6 years ago

Has anyone thought about using plate steel instead of wood? I guarentee that would prevent ball marks on the playfield. So, let me see you try to shoot that idea down.

#5 6 years ago

3D printers, as we know them in the <$1000 price range, have not yet evolved to the point where the finished item is (IMO) robust enough to use in a commercial product.

3D printing is perfect for fast prototyping and tests, we use it all the time in the factory, but certainly not in a finished product.

Maybe time and better materials will sort that out but not in the current form.

#6 6 years ago

Pinball companies (even small companies) could go with 10000-100000 dollar printers and turn a profit...if I'm right. But I don't know anything about the material...so I could be wrong. All in theory...again, outside the box.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outside-the-boxmaybe-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.