Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by oldskool1969
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0448.JPG
20150506_203316.jpg
20150506_203240.jpg

#1 4 years ago

What do you suggest for cleaning the cabinet before I wax it? I've been reading through the cabinet cleaning posts and have Simple Green, ZEP Citrus Degreaser and Magic Eraser at my disposal.

My main concern is the exposed wood becoming wet, is there a way to clean it dry?

Most of the cabinet paint looks good but some of the paint has come off on the head as you can see in the photos.

Bruce

20150506_203240.jpg 20150506_203316.jpg
#2 4 years ago

I spray simple green on a paper towel, then rub it on the cabinet--I don't spray the cabinet directly.

#3 4 years ago

I use murphy's oil soap in a bucket of hot water to clean inside and out of my new acquisitions. Works great. It's made for cleaning wood. Just wring the wash rag as dry as possible and scrub. No need to rinse.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I spray simple green on a paper towel, then rub it on the cabinet--I don't spray the cabinet directly.

On an older game like this I would not automatically trust Simple Green since it can remove (some types of) paint. Spraying on the rag does minimize this issue, but it is still a risk. On the other hand, I have used Simple Green in some situations (very carefully) to remove a thin surface layer of paint and brighten the finish.

For whatever the OP chooses: test an inconspicuous area first, use a contrasting color rag and watch for paint transfer.

Sprayway Crazy Klean is absolutely amazing stuff for cabinets (I got this tip from a top restorer). Spray it on and you can literally watch the crud roll off.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

On an older game like this I would not automatically trust Simple Green since it can remove (some types of) paint. Spraying on the rag does minimize this issue, but it is still a risk. On the other hand, I have used Simple Green in some situations (very carefully) to remove a thin surface layer of paint and brighten the finish.
For whatever the OP chooses: test an inconspicuous area first, use a contrasting color rag and watch for paint transfer.
Sprayway Crazy Klean is absolutely amazing stuff for cabinets (I got this tip from a top restorer). Spray it on and you can literally watch the crud roll off.

ive never seen that with simple green. mean green on the other hand can be an issue.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

ive never seen that with simple green. mean green on the other hand can be an issue.

I've observed the same thing.

#7 4 years ago

Simple green that's in concentrate form and not diluted has removed paint on older games i cleaned . I use purple power concentrate mixed 50/50 with water .

#8 4 years ago

My gawd, I would never use Purple Power on a machine. That stuff is very aggressive... but I guess if it works?

#9 4 years ago

Great suggestions! I'm going to try what you guys recommend.

My concern is where the paint's coming off like splinters, I'm afraid it'll catch on the cloth while cleaning and pull off parts of it while cleaning. Guess I'll just have to be very careful.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Great suggestions! I'm going to try what you guys recommend.
My concern is where the paint's coming off like splinters, I'm afraid it'll catch on the cloth while cleaning and pull off parts of it while cleaning. Guess I'll just have to be very careful.

Try going in only one direction, rather than back and forth. Maybe try dabbing some wood glue under the splinters using toothpicks, small screwdrivers, or a q-tip with the fuzzy end broken off.

#11 4 years ago

Like others have said test in a inconspicuous area first i haven't found it to be any stronger than simple green but it cleans decent and costs less

#12 4 years ago

I stripped my High Hand completely and then a light wipe with warm soapy water, locked the PATINA in with a satin clear acrylic spray. Worked a charm
IMG_0448.JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside