Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by DeeGor
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230305_204009 (resized).jpg
    tight-breaking-bad.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    49779E31-5B06-4245-8B08-63446101DFA1 (resized).png
    CE18471B-6591-42AC-958C-716C70CBCB17 (resized).jpeg
    C9C10CA6-90C0-4FE3-ABEE-A4DF5BD549B5 (resized).jpeg
    B4572FFA-EDE7-4C93-B3A3-2E14911266D2 (resized).jpeg
    1D934B88-E343-4395-AD8B-994247FDEBD5 (resized).jpeg
    262B93C9-15C4-46DF-A79E-31E0E735F8D8 (resized).jpeg
    186FDB69-1DDD-45C7-BE44-EEB702A8F4E1 (resized).jpeg
    Suction Cup Glass Handle (resized).jpg
    EDC4FEC7-27C5-4801-AE6C-0620ECFD0AD5 (resized).jpeg
    20220604_000259 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    092D0956-02DC-463F-80E9-16EFC11EA6D3 (resized).jpeg
    14CD7FF5-8D58-4EBA-809B-0FD31642A50E (resized).jpeg

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

So I have two games built within the last few weeks: JP prem (May 24), and DP prem (May 18) and the playfield glass is tighter than I’ve ever seen

Seems like a number of people are experiencing something similar, so has Stern offered up any support? Any tricks?

I can get JP off very slowly and carefully, but DP won’t move more than an inch, even using suction

#2 1 year ago

maybe your legs need adjusted and you have a wicked twist wedging the glass in the crooked cab....?

#3 1 year ago

I'd place both hands on the side rail, along the top edge and grab it ( careful if it's sharp ) and in a couple spots give it a couple tugs. Then do the other side if necessary.

LTG : )

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

maybe your legs need adjusted and you have a wicked twist wedging the glass in the crooked cab....?

Seems like this is a little more widespread than a setup error

#6 1 year ago

My JP is the same way. Cabinet is square. Tried different glass too. I think it’s a problem with the glass channels.

I have a ticket in with stern now.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

Seems like this is a little more widespread than a setup error

I wasn't being a smart ass, was just trying to help. We saw a similar issue at a friends when his lockdown bar wouldn't budge. Turned out to be a big dip in the floor where it was setup.

#8 1 year ago

At least one of my Stern games purchased 2 years ago was like this. I don't remember which one though. At least I never had to worry about the glass sliding out with the lockbar off

Rob

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

I wasn't being a smart ass, was just trying to help. We saw a similar issue at a friends when his lockdown bar wouldn't budge. Turned out to be a big dip in the floor where it was setup.

No worries, I Wasn’t being a smartass either, i would have thought setup initially as well if it didn’t happen to two games delivered the same week. When i say DP is tight, i mean i had to use a ton of force just to get it low enough to remove the packing materials and install the balls.

The popular response seems to be a glass channel issue and I’m awaiting Stern support . Kinda dumb that they’d even let the game leave the factory, as I’d imagine they had just as much trouble installing the glass

#10 1 year ago

Several GZ owners (including me) have reported this as well. Glass channel, or channel installation issue.

#11 1 year ago

I feel like I was very close to breaking the glass taking it out of my Deadpool Premium I just picked up. I've never seen anything like it. I waxed the edges when I put it back in, I'm not sure it helped at all. I don't understand how someone could force the glass in during assembly and think it's even close to ok.

#12 1 year ago

Probably overkill, but I've used suction cup handles to remove giant pieces of glass from redemption games. If you can't get a grip on the glass in your game, something like this might help.

https://www.amazon.com/FCHO-Suction-Aluminum-Vacuum-Lifting/dp/B07HNRB2CJ

#13 1 year ago
    6iiyhu.jpg6iiyhu.jpg
    #14 1 year ago

Same. Two week old DEADPOOL PREMIUM made May 18th, as well.

#15 1 year ago

Give it a montht and someone will be selling glass slide lube

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

Give it a montht and someone will be selling glass slide lube

Pinlube, its on my etsy.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I feel like I was very close to breaking the glass taking it out of my Deadpool Premium I just picked up. I've never seen anything like it. I waxed the edges when I put it back in, I'm not sure it helped at all. I don't understand how someone could force the glass in during assembly and think it's even close to ok.

Quoted from ticktockman:

Same. Two week old DEADPOOL PREMIUM.

Ok so we’re all in the same boat, have you guys done anything?

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

Ok so we’re all in the same boat, have you guys done anything?

My distributor asked me to measure the cabinet to see if it's within spec or square. I haven't done that yet. I was hoping it would be better after removing a few times.

#19 1 year ago
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #20 1 year ago

Just got my DP premium and the glass is tighter than any ever.

#21 1 year ago

If it’s loose people complain about rattling, if it’s too tight people complain! Use some KY or try a little foreplay.

#22 1 year ago

Yep, gotta stop the rattling with improved sound.
    Get over it

#23 1 year ago

I agree the newer batches of cabinets seem to be just a tad tighter. Noticed this going back maybe as far as a year. They do seem to loosen up over time a little bit.

#24 1 year ago

My godzilla was so tight it would squeak when you walk by,after about a dozen or 20 glass removals its still tight but not as bad and it doesnt squeak anymore.I do still need a suction cup.It seems with the cup I need to lift the bottom over the lip or something and in and out is fine but must lift up at the beginning for what its worth.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Yep, gotta stop the rattling with improved sound.
    Get over it

So to be clear, this isn’t just complaining about a little extra tightness. The glass is essentially immobile on some games of these newer runs. Having had the chance to speak to the distributor and a few others with the same issue, it seems like the glass channels will need to be replaced/moved

Known issue, with a resolution in progress..if you know nothing about it, just sit the next thread out

#26 1 year ago

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#27 1 year ago

My WoZ is like this, has been from day one including the back box glass to the point that sometimes I just give up on getting it out.

John

#29 1 year ago

That’s not the problem. It’s the Channels. I removed my rails entirely and it’s still too tight.

#30 1 year ago

I recieved a new JP Premium 2 weeks ago. Glass was super-tight. I gently leveraged the guide rails up and away, and it loosened up enough to allow removal. Still pretty tight. Following this thread, something is up for sure.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Glass channel, or channel installation issue.

Either that or the trim is too thick. I ran into that on an older machine, where the trim was replaced with the wrong type.

Edit: I was thinking of the backglass and not the main glass.

#32 1 year ago

Got my Zeppelin early March 2021.
    Tightest glass I've ever seen or had.
    I bought the suction cup handle thing from Harbor Frieght. Works great.
    After more than a year later and removing the glass 50 times, I have a premium, if you a have a zep prem you know what I mean about 50 times. The glass has slowly gotten much better and looser.
    I'm begging to wonder if stern got a bad batch of glass, ie, just a few millimeters to big? Say 5000 sheets of it.

#33 1 year ago

I tried different glass. Still tight.

#34 1 year ago

My Rush glass is pretty tight.

#35 1 year ago

There’s definitely something going on here. At first I thought it was just guys getting their first NIB games that were paranoid about doing the full on palms on the glass pulldown that it takes the first few times. But I’ve noticed over multiple forums that it’s not just the newbs that are having issues getting it off. I like Lloyd’s idea of giving the side rails/channels a couple tugs. That glass is tough but be careful with the edges. I’ve read horror stories about glass explosion clean-ups on a playfield.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

There’s definitely something going on here. At first I thought it was just guys getting their first NIB games that were paranoid about doing the full on palms on the glass pulldown that it takes the first few times. But I’ve noticed over multiple forums that it’s not just the newbs that are having issues getting it off. I like Lloyd’s idea of giving the side rails/channels a couple tugs. That glass is tough but be careful with the edges. I’ve read horror stories about glass explosion clean-ups on a playfield.

You really do have to see one of these games to believe it

I’ve only owned pinball machines for 2 years but have unboxed 6 Sterns in that time and I’m not exaggerating when i tell you it took all 6’4, 225 lbs of me to slide that DP glass off about a foot just so i could remove the packing materials and drop in the balls. And it’s no coincidence that the only other difficult glass I’ve encountered was also a NIB built a week prior

#37 1 year ago

Damn got some prime stuff. Just lub it up up and slide in.

#38 1 year ago

Michael Scott's head would be exploding reading this thread....

the-office-dying-of-laughter (resized).pngthe-office-dying-of-laughter (resized).png
    #39 1 year ago

Ya the issue for sure isn't the glass. On games with tight glass the PDI I put in it is also tight.

#40 1 year ago

When shaved black residue is in the edges of the glass after you struggle to remove it, you know something isn’t quite right

14CD7FF5-8D58-4EBA-809B-0FD31642A50E (resized).jpeg14CD7FF5-8D58-4EBA-809B-0FD31642A50E (resized).jpeg

#41 1 year ago
    092D0956-02DC-463F-80E9-16EFC11EA6D3 (resized).jpeg092D0956-02DC-463F-80E9-16EFC11EA6D3 (resized).jpeg
    #42 1 year ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

When shaved black residue is in the edges of the glass after you struggle to remove it, you know something isn’t quite right
    [quoted image]

I had a similar issue with my WOZECLE back in the Fall of 2013 where the glass was really hard to get out and there were black shavings from the glass channel on the edge of the glass after I was finally able to get the glass out. It eventually loosened up a bit after taking the glass out several times over several months. I am not saying this is your issue, but it sounds similar.

Gord

#43 1 year ago

Duct Tape, baby! It fixes everything. This was my quick fix solution for beyond stuck.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #44 1 year ago

My new DP Pro, April 2022 build, is tight as well. Glass isn’t as tight as OP describes but my glass requires a good pull to slide down. Can take off the lock bar, go walk the dog, come back and the glass hasn’t slid an inch. I have to force my glass off with two flat palms and a lot of sheer force.

#45 1 year ago

Same here. Dp premium. Delivered alittle over 2 weeks ago. Afraid glass will break when I need to remove. Heard The Hulk works on the final assembly at Stern.

#47 1 year ago

This is the best thing i could find.
    Harbor Frieght , 8 bucks.

20220604_000259 (resized).jpg20220604_000259 (resized).jpg
    #48 1 year ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

This is what my October build GZ Pro was doing too. I was also getting little strands of shaved off plastic from the channels. The glass was very tight, but I was still able to remove it by hand. After putting the glass off and on a few dozen times, it feels closer to normal.

#49 1 year ago

Got these off Amazon as a good short term fix.. can’t get the glass to move without them

EDC4FEC7-27C5-4801-AE6C-0620ECFD0AD5 (resized).jpegEDC4FEC7-27C5-4801-AE6C-0620ECFD0AD5 (resized).jpeg
    #50 1 year ago

New rush premium, super tight. Scares the bejesus out of me taking the glass out.

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outrageously-tight-pinball-glass/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.