(Topic ID: 134536)

Discuss movies, TV shows, and web-content here!

By CaptK

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dmbjunky
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bone-tomahawk.jpg
Impostor.png
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 8 years ago

Very low budget and quite dated now but "Cube" was bizarrely enthralling imo. Impressive what a low budget one or two-room set could accomplish. The sequels weren't as good (Hypercube being the weakest) but they are worth watching for some abstract sci-fi horror.

"Europa Report" was very low key but interesting and unique. A bit slow at times but would watch again.

"Sunshine" is awesome (like 10/10 awesome) right up until the finale of the movie; Then it becomes just ok.

It has issues and is quite disturbing in some scenes, but "Event Horizon" has always seemed decent to me. Many disagree.

Agree that "Pandorum" is good stuff

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I want to like Event Horizon so much, and I've watched it at least 6 times, but the damn thing disappoints me all the time! That could have been a great sci-fi/horror film.

I agree. I actually like the concept so much I think it taints my true memory of the film and make me like it more than I should...

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

I just remembered "Cube". I looked it up, and it was released in 1997. I remember coming across it in a video store back in the day. It looked interesting at that time, so I rented it. I remember liking it a lot! For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it's low-budget. I mostly remember the set-up was intriguing and sort of like a "very-horrific" Twilight Zone episode. This is another one I need to re-visit!

Budget was $350k supposedly according to the infallible Wikipedia.

Check out Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero as well. They are a bit more sloppy on execution (especially #2) but are equally as odd and entertaining.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I went to theater to see this movie....thought it was outstanding, but I agree....the ending kind of sucked

I saw it randomly in some stack of DVDs back in the day - came out of nowhere for me. There's nothing in modern sci-fi that consistently compares to how great the first acts of the movie are, then it's like a new director and writer step in to pen the last act...

#37 8 years ago

oh man yes - Edge of Tomorrow is excellent. Great example of a movie that should not have worked and sounded retarded, but it totally pulled it off.

Bit of a tangent, but if we're delving into Lovecraftian horror/sci-fi I would strongly recommend acquiring a Gamecube or Wii and playing through "Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requiem". By far one of the greatest modern experiences inspired by that type of cosmic horror.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Oblivion wasn't bad either, also Tom Cruise

actually it was pretty good. It came out around the same time and got lumped in with "After Earth" in my mind so I never gave it a chance , but after seeing much later it turned out to be ~1000x better than After Earth...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outlander-2008-movie-similar-genre-movies-you-might-recommend?tu=purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.