(Topic ID: 134536)

Discuss movies, TV shows, and web-content here!

By CaptK

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dmbjunky
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bone-tomahawk.jpg
Impostor.png
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

I've never seen Outlander. May have to check it out? I watched Pandorum on Netflix a few years back and it seemed similar to Alien. Obviously it wasn't as good but it may be worth checking out. I rewatched The Thing just recently and really enjoy that movie. I need to watch the more recent prequel. I've heard good things.

#4 8 years ago

I keep wanting to watch Moon. I know it's my kind of movie but I just keep putting it off. Dark City has a big cult following and is the reason I bought it on DVD (remember those) but it was kind of mixed bag for me.

#56 8 years ago

Somebody said Session 9. OOhh Maan. I think I have never been so bored with a movie. I remember watching it on Netflix and disliking it immensely. I think part of it was David Caruso. I sometimes really like him but other times he really turns me off. But check it out and decide for yourself, that is the fun part for me.

Sometimes when you don't know anything about a movie it really makes the experience a lot more enjoyable. That happened to me with Edge of Tomorrow. I went to watch it with my friend who suggested it and I was blown away. After that I sought out other recent Tom Cruise movies and have really enjoyed Oblivion, Jack Reacher and Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. Oblivion has some flaws on repeated viewings (that opening monologue) but definitely more pluses (soundtrack is awesome) than minuses. Now I avoid trailers unless I see them in a theater.

But back to Sci Fi Horror. Recently I watched the 2004 Dawn of the Dead and was pleasantly surprised. I never watched the original but it did a few original things with zombies that I hadn't seen before. It was also made before the recent resurgence in zombies.

#58 8 years ago

Wow. Payback.... That's a movie that really bombed but my brother and I got it on DVD when we first got a player and really loved it. He just mentioned it yesterday. I still have an intention of watching the original 70s movie it was patterned after.

Dredd was really good. Surprising considering the box art looked terrible and it had absolutely no marketing. I wish it would have done well enough for a sequel.

There have been a lot movies recently that I thought were really good but didn't find the audience and won't get the sequel they were planning. Sniff

#62 8 years ago

Movies don't stay in theaters long enough for word of mouth these days.

I didn't know about the director's cut version of Payback till years later. I think it doesn't have a voiceover which I really enjoy in the theatrical version.

Speaking of different versions, I just watched Kingsman and there was this really hard cut in the middle of the movie. I thought my movie skipped or something. After it was over, I was reading about it and I guess there was this anal sex joke they took out for the blu-ray release. Kind of disappointing considering I just went to youtube and saw it.

#63 8 years ago

I was reading about Edge of Tomorrow and this guy was saying he liked the movie but he felt like they could have used some other actor because he felt it was distracting that it was Tom Cruise. I think some critics let the outside stuff that shouldn't affect their review get in the way. I thought he was great and I'm not Cruise super fan.

#65 8 years ago

Yeah at that point in the movie, I wasn't sure it was going for over the top so I was a little shocked but once we seen rainbow colored exploding heads I became ok with everything the movie was doing.

#70 8 years ago

I was going to mention the Crazies. I should rewatch it too. It was really fun.

#72 8 years ago

Did you see It Follows? I enjoyed it but didn't really understand all of the hubbub. It was a little tense in places but never really scary. I'd like to see what they do with a sequel.

#90 8 years ago

Just watched They Live. Pretty enjoyable and loved the ending. It felt like a throwback to a 50s or 60s alien movie

#98 8 years ago

I enjoyed ex machina as well. One of those great conversation movies where it stays with you long after you watch it.

#104 8 years ago

I keep seeing The Machine box art and thinking it might be good but haven't tried it yet.

I just watched back to back Bill & Ted. It's hard to think of them as Sci-Fi but I guess there is an element of that. For me, the second one is the best and I was wondering where I learned what a Melvin was when I was little.

Not too long ago I watched Westworld. Cowboys and robots. Really cool. I need to try the sequel, Futureworld, but I've heard it's not as good.

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from PIN_GROOM:

Some may find it dull? There's almost no "action."

For me, this is a subgenre of Sci-Fi and one of my favorites. Movies like Solaris, Gravity, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (which I never considered Sci-Fi) and Star Trek (not counting the new movies) are definitely Sci-Fi with little to no action. They also tend to present situations and moral dilemmas that are thought provoking.

#112 8 years ago

CaptK, you were mentioning a lot foreign movies which reminded me of a couple of years ago. I was on a foreign subtitle movie kick on Netflix and really saw some great flicks. Let The Right One In, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy, the Chan-Wook Park vengeance trilogy (Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance), Thirst, and Troll. Really great movies with a style of filmmaking that was in short supply at the time. I haven't watched one in awhile though.

#114 8 years ago

I've heard how people criticized Jurassic Park for being too similar to Westworld when it came out. Other than the idea of a theme park gone wrong, I don't see the similarities. Jurassic Park's draw is the dinosaurs. I kind of forget it's a theme park while watching it. Westworld's premise is reliant on the fact that this world isn't real. That there are no consequences to their actions while they are role playing until real people start dying. In fact just thinking about this right now, makes me wish Jurassic World would have been more like Westworld. Lol

#119 8 years ago

When I read Cube, I always think of the Cell for some reason.

#120 8 years ago

Just watched Moon and City of Ember. Moon was really good. City of Ember was based on a book. Whenever a movie is based on a book and is only one and a half hours long, it's a little worrying. But I liked the design of the world.

1 week later
#125 8 years ago

Woo-hoo! I just watched the Ash vs. Evil Dead twice. Looks great.

#127 8 years ago

Halloween. I think I did hear Raimi was involved but he was involved with the remake as well. I thought the remake was OK

1 month later
#129 8 years ago

When I was in 7th grade, I went to a friend's house to spend the night. It always seemed like these were occasions to watch things normally not seen at home, especially considering we just had antenna. Well, my friend had satellite, and not the little plastic dishes you bolt to the side of your house, but the gigantic metal ones implanted in the yard that looked like they could control lasers in space. I'm still not entirely sure how they worked but I remember him switching between galaxies or something. This would have been 1997 or 1998 and I remember watching the Jose Chung's from Outer Space episode of X-Files and the Army of Darkness. Army of Darkness was just so weird and funny and scary. I don't think I saw it again until the mid 00s but it left an impression. I still love it today.

P.S. We also watched Skinamax which also left an impression.

#132 8 years ago

You should change the title to this thread to just a common movie discussion. I just watched both Escape movies. New York was still as good as ever. L.A. wasn't very good but highlights were Bruce Campbell under a bunch of makeup and the ending. When I was little, I thought that ending was so intriguing and I couldn't imagine where they would go with a sequel.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

I think your suggestion is a good idea! Maybe I can change the title of the thread to something like, "List/discuss all of your favorite movies here". NOTE: I looked into changing the title of this thread, but I couldn't figure out how the heck to actually do that here on Pinside. I feel like such an ignoramus! If anyone can help me with changing the title of this thread here on Pinside, then feel free to respond in this thread and/or PM me. Cheers!

I had the same problem. lol
Edit the first post you made and it will give you the option to change the title.

Someone suggested watching a horror movie every day of October, so tonight I watched The Ring. It had been a long time and it was really good. I didn't know Gore Verbinski was the director. It might be his best movie alongside Pirates of the Carribean and Rango. I am into movie soundtracks and I thought Hans Zimmer's score was really good. Also enjoyed the misdirection in the ending. I've never watched The Ring Two but I'll probably give it a try tomorrow.

#136 8 years ago

Ha! I saw the topic and was confused at first.

#138 8 years ago

Sure. I like any movie talk, especially right after I've seen something.

#140 8 years ago

Nope, I haven't seen a movie in theatre since I watched Mad Max and Jurassic World same night. I'm thinking about watching Goosebumps but I might just wait till Star Wars to go to the theater next. Oh wait, I want to take mom and dad to see Bone Tomahawk.

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

'The Horseman' - this is an Australian movie on the line of 'Taken' but much more gritty

I watched this on netflix a few years back. From what I remember, I liked it but it was a little weird. Probably a one and done movie.

I watched The Ring Two and thought it was alright, nothing great. It was notable they got the original Japanese director to direct this which was his first english speaking movie. He didn't impress me though. Gore Verbinski did a much better job with the first movie which was more a mystery than a horror movie.

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Best movie: It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963). So many comedians in this flick, esp Buddy Hackett.
Worst movie: Drive. Stupidest pos I have ever seen. It had almost nothing to do with driving.

Weird I really enjoyed Drive. It had a really great soundtrack and I loved the chase scene.

I watched Jacob's Ladder for the Horror movie tonight. It wasn't really scary but definitely weird and interesting. It kind of reminded me of Devil's Advocate with the makeup effects but I saw the ending coming so I wasn't surprised.

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

Westworld TV series coming from HBO in 2016!
» YouTube video

Woowee, I can't wait. Maybe Westworld can do to Sci-Fi, what Game of Thrones did to Fantasy. It also reminds me of Deadwood. I'm excited.

#157 8 years ago

...but I do have a login ID and password.

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Don't know what to say, when 'The Human Centipede' move is in existence, not sure that's right, and I like disturbing movies but at what point do you think 'that's over the line?'

I've seen clips of it but never seen the whole thing. I really have zero interest.

1 week later
#164 8 years ago

For my scary movies of Halloween, I watched The Strangers with Liv Tyler. It was interesting. I couldn't decide if I really liked it or hated it. The ending was just all of a sudden and no motivations were explained. It did have a gripping atmoshere though. I also watched The Invasion which was a Body Snatchers remake. I really enjoyed the first part where they're not sure who's an alien and who isn't. That's just such an enjoyable premise but it took an action/zombie style toward the end. I also would have liked a little more ambiguity to the ending.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The best movie where they don't know who is the alien is Carpenters remake of The Thing.

Yep and it had an ambiguous ending too. When you mentioned Carpenter, I though you were going to say They Live. I still haven't seen any of the old Body Snatchers movies. I've heard the 70s one is pretty good.

#167 8 years ago

I just watched Bone Tomahawk, a western with a good cast including Kurt Russell. I wanted to go to the theater to watch seeing as it came out yesterday but no theater was carrying it in Southern Indiana. It was a limited release but also a VOD release which upsets some theater chains. I was going to take my parents since they are western and Kurt Russell fans (kinda glad I didn't) but just watched it on Amazon by myself. Really good but it could be a little divisive. It was really slow and tried to be an authentic western which I think it succeeded at but could be too boring for some people.

I really love this poster.

bone-tomahawk.jpgbone-tomahawk.jpg

#170 8 years ago

I watched The Conjuring for a scary movie and it was pretty good. I love the idea of husband and wife ghost chasers. It didn't have many original ideas but it did those ideas very well. The backstory was very interesting and I could see them setting up a series of movies. In fact, there was already a spinoff. Has anybody seen Annabelle? Opinions?

I also have been watching Red Letter Media's Best of the Worst on Youtube. I already loved these guys from the Plinkett reviews and Half in the Bag but I just recently discovered Best of the Worst and it's great. They watch three bad movies and decide which is so bad it's good. Here's the most recent where they watch a Kiss movie:

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

I just watched the first episode of Ash vs Evil Dead. I had a whole lot of expectations going into it.
I felt it was a bit of a mixed bag at the beginning. Then again, they have to establish what has happened in the last 30 or so years and what is happening now so there's "THAT" to contend with!
By the end, though, I was cheering, laughing, and clapping! (The last line in this first episode put a big smile on my face.) I can't wait to see what happens next.

I'm looking forward to watching it. I've been binge watching Best of the Worst. It's such a fun show and I've laughed so hard.

#175 8 years ago

I checked out the first two episodes of Ash vs. Evil Dead. They were really great. The first episode had a really great blend of jokes and scares. When the cops were checking out that house at the beginning of the episode, I was freaked out. Bruce Campbell was great and I liked how he went from bumbling idiot to badass. The CG was a little weak, especially when they used so many practical effects that looked great. I can't wait to watch the rest of it.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

Yeah, I liked the first two episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead too! I agree with you about some of the CGI effects, but thankfully most of the effects seem to be "real".

They've really been able to recreate the humor from the movies and the sidekicks aren't annoying.

#179 8 years ago

I watched Spectre last night. It was a little slow to start but had some good music at the beginning with a Mexican style Bond theme. I was hoping Bautista was Jaws because he was that style of character and I hope he comes back for another movie. Blofeld was interesting but a little disappointing. It felt a little long at 2 hrs 28 min and the middle dragged a little. Probably the third best Craig Bond movie.

I would like to see a return to the plot not being personally connected to Bond. All of the Craig Bond movies try give some sort of backstory to Bond which I never remember the older ones not doing.

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

Interesting!!! Thanks so much for the review! (I haven't watched Spectre, yet.)
FWIW: I've watched the first three episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead. Wow...such...CRAZY/AWESOME stuff!

I just reread what I wrote and I forgot to say that I did enjoy it. I'm just getting tired of movies trying to be 2 1/2 or 3 hours long. If they would have tightened up the middle a little bit, it could have been a lot better and moved at a faster pace.

Yeah I'm really liking Ash vs. Evil Dead. Some observations: I can't figure out if Lucy Lawless is bad or good. They are really dragging out her connecting with Ash. The tone really shifts when Bruce Campbell isn't on screen. I loved the line about Churros.

8 months later
#183 7 years ago

What's everyone been watching lately?

I just started watching Stranger Things on Netflix. I'm afraid I'm gonna binge watch it all tonight. It's like an 80s X-Files with a great synth soundtrack. I hope the payoff is worth it.

#184 7 years ago

Finished the show. It was super good. A+ out of 10. Recommend.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outlander-2008-movie-similar-genre-movies-you-might-recommend?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.