(Topic ID: 134536)

Discuss movies, TV shows, and web-content here!

By CaptK

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dmbjunky
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bone-tomahawk.jpg
Impostor.png
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

It’s been a while since I watched Outlander (2008). Well, I just re-watched it tonight and was reminded that it’s a pretty darn good sci-fi/horror/monster movie. If I remember correctly, something went wrong with the distribution back in its day so most people never saw the movie back when it was new? If you enjoy movies like Alien/Aliens, Carpenter’s The Thing, or Predator, I think you might appreciate Outlander. If you haven’t seen it, check it out. If you have seen it, what do you think?

While we’re at it...
If you have any other sci-fi/horror/monster movies that you feel are worth seeing, then feel free to post here. Vintage black and white movies are welcome as well.

PS - It's been a long time since I watched Starship Troopers. I think I may need to re-visit that one sometime soon? (2x Bonus: ST became a pin!)

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've never seen Outlander. May have to check it out? I watched Pandorum on Netflix a few years back and it seemed similar to Alien. Obviously it wasn't as good but it may be worth checking out. I rewatched The Thing just recently and really enjoy that movie. I need to watch the more recent prequel. I've heard good things.

I saw Pandorum years ago. I think(?) it was pretty good? I saw a similar-type movie more recently, but I've forgotten what it was called. If I figure it out, I'll let you know. Carpenter's Thing is a classic! I thought the earlier black-and-white version was pretty silly. The Thing (2011) prequel is a mixed bag. It has some interesting ideas and has some GREAT tie-ins to Carpenter's movie! With that being said, some of the CGI takes you a bit out of the 2011 movie at times. (I read that it was all practical effects originally, but some bonehead producers decided to cover most of them up with CGI during post production.) Even though the 2011 version is sort of a rehash of the 1982 version and has some problems, it's still worth seeing. Check it out!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

For me "Moon" from 2009 was pretty good..hardly anyone saw it at the time, I'm fan of Sam Rockwell so I put it on the netflix que when it was released. Since then it's built a big following. Now mind you it's not an action movie. Second Sci fi flick that I think deserves a lot of accolade is "Dark City". Check them out.....

I totally agree...Moon is another great under-seen/under-appreciated movie! It's not really monster/horror, but it is GREAT sci-fi! I forgot about Dark City. I saw it so many years ago. I can't remember the whole story, but I remember liking it. I think it was sort of a dark, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery movie? Maybe it even had a bit of a pre-Matrix vibe to it???

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah...Dark city was really well done, I don't want type any spoilers, so I'll refrain from saying too much, I still have no idea how they pulled off the building morph stuff back then.

Okay, that's it...I'm going back and watching Dark City! It's been so long that I pretty much don't remember any specifics. It will be (nearly) like watching it for the first time. Woohoo!

PS - I just remembered "Cube". I looked it up, and it was released in 1997. I remember coming across it in a video store back in the day. It looked interesting at that time, so I rented it. I remember liking it a lot! For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it's low-budget. I mostly remember the set-up was intriguing and sort of like a "very-horrific" Twilight Zone episode. This is another one I need to re-visit!

Edit: After posting this message, I saw that purpledrillmonkey also mentioned "Cube"!

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I agree. I actually like the concept so much I think it taints my true memory of the film and make me like it more than I should...

I remember living in Oregon at the time and going to see Event Horizon by myself in a theater. For whatever reason(s), that movie freaked me out!

Someone on here previously mentioned Sunshine. I remember liking that one too. I think I need to re-watch that one! What about District 9? That's another I only saw once and liked it, but have mostly forgotten what happens.

Another person previously mentioned Session 9 in this thread. I saw that one back when it was released, and I remember really liking it. That's another rarely-heard-of movie. That's another I need to go back and re-watch. If I remember correctly, they filmed that movie in a derelict "real" mad house, and there was asbestos "loose" in the ceiling/floor as they filmed. I seem to also remember the plot in that film changed a bit as they were filming. I think I heard this in a commentary track?

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

A good scifi flick I enjoyed was Soldier with Kurt Russell. Its the first time I heard the term "sidequel" to BladeRunner.

I had totally forgotten about Soldier!

Didn't Soldier get a bad rap back when it was first released!?! If so, I'm not sure why. If I remember correctly, it still kicks @$$! I'm going to go back and watch this movie soon! Thanks for reminding me!

As far as the "sidequel" term goes...does that have anything to do with the "junkyard" scene in Soldier? I've heard there are some "notable" spaceships in that junkyard! (Pictures???)

PS - Some Donnie Darko talk above as well...WHOA! If you're going to watch DD, make SURE you watch the director's cut! It still might be a bit confusing, but it's the best version!

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I hated Outlander because it was an almost exact duplicate of an actual good movie Beowulf. If you actually liked Outlander you will LOVE Beowulf! Give it a watch.

Interesting...I'll check it out!

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Yes, the junkyard scene.....and the different places his character had been...."Ten house of gates..." I think thats what it was called....

Thanks for the info...Pinside people are awesome!

#52 8 years ago

Wow, so many great movies to check out...some I've seen, some I haven't, and many which I have forgotten what happens. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Here are some additional horror/scifi movie thoughts (although, some of this has already been mentioned by other Pinsiders in this thread):

I’ve never been a huge zombie or vampire movie fan. IMHO, there are way too many of those movies being made and 95% of it is junk. Sure, there are some great B&W movies with those themes. There are also some other “newer, but still classic” ones I liked in the past: Return of the Living Dead, Fright Night, etc. I don't find myself watching much of these two genres now, but sometimes I still check things out. With that being said, here are a few modern-ish ones that I’ve seen and enjoyed.

-Shaun of the Dead - a GREAT horror/comedy!
-Fido (2006) - Leave it to Beaver with zombies!
-30 Days of Night - absolutely BRUTAL
-Extinction (2015) - just watched it, and I was pleasantly surprised
-Dead Snow/Dead Snow 2 - goofy fun
-What We Do In the Shadows - (I have not seen this one) - The trailer didn’t appeal all that much to me, but I’ve read multiple reviews saying it’s a great horror/comedy. Maybe I'll check it out!

“Cabin in the woods” movies have also been done to death. That’s another genre which I don't watch much these days. With that being said, here are a few modern-ish CitW movies I saw and liked. (Don’t read anything about them before watching):
-Tucker and Dale vs Evil
-The Cabin in the Woods
-Severance (2006)
-The Cottage (2008)

What about some horror/scifi movies where people are taken over by "something" otherworldly? Here are just a few I thought of offhand:
-The Hidden (I haven't seen this since the 80's, but I liked it back then.)
-The Stuff (I watched this again not too long ago, and I still enjoyed it.)
-The Blob (1988 version) - This one may not count because it seems like the Blob mostly just eats its poor victims? Great re-make though!
-Night of the Creeps - Crazy, goofy, horror/scifi 80s fun! If I remember correctly, there are two different endings. Check 'em both out!
-Slither - Sort of like a 20-year-later re-imagining of NotC! Crazy stuff!

Some Time-Travel movie(s) have been mentioned in this thread. I love T-T movies or even movies that just involve differences in times without anyone actually traveling through time! Feel free to list your favorite Time-Travel/time-travel-ISH movies. I’ll try to think of some of my favorites and list them here later.

PS - There was a mention of Deadly Spawn earlier in this thread. I'm pretty much sure I remember seeing the “Deadly Spawn” VHS covers back in my local video stores in the 80s. Sadly, I don’t think I ever rented it. Ugh...sometimes I made bad choices back then like choosing to rent “The Incredible Melting Man” instead of something else! If you’re reading this SPFXTED, I’m sorry about that!

#53 8 years ago

(5x bonus) - The Deadly Spawn trailer:

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Sometimes when you don't know anything about a movie it really makes the experience a lot more enjoyable. That happened to me with Edge of Tomorrow. I went to watch it with my friend who suggested it and I was blown away. After that I sought out other recent Tom Cruise movies and have really enjoyed Oblivion, Jack Reacher and Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. Oblivion has some flaws on repeated viewings (that opening monologue) but definitely more pluses (soundtrack is awesome) than minuses. Now I avoid trailers unless I see them in a theater.

Love him, hate him, or feel somewhere in-between, Tom Cruise has made and continues to make some great movies. I agree that Edge of Tomorrow was AWESOME, even though I had slightly "mixed feelings" about the ending. Oh well, I still thoroughly enjoyed it! I didn't love Oblivion, but I liked it quite a bit. The Mission Impossible movies seem to get better and better with each one. (I haven't watched MI: 5, yet.) Jack Reacher REALLY surprised me. For some reason (bad trailers/bad advertising/etc?) I had the lowest-of-low expectations when going to watch that one, but I ended up having a fantastic time watching that movie! I've heard a sequel is in the works. If so, I can't wait! NOTE: If you like Jack Reacher (aka a "good guy" being "smart/talented" about kicking the "bad guys" @$$e$), here are a few other modern movies off the top of my head to watch:
-John Wick
-Get the Gringo
-Dredd (SO much better than the Stallone movie back in the 90s)
-The Raid/Raid 2
-Payback (1999)
-Taken

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I'm really surprised Dredd didn't do better, it was very enjoyable. The trailers weren't the best, but you'd think word of mouth could've helped it.
Lots of good mentions in this thread. Payback was fun, but I can't remember which version I liked best, the theatrical cut, or the more serious director's cut. I'll have to revisit them again.
I haven't seen Get the Gringo yet, but since I liked the rest of your list, I'll check it out. Especially John Wick, that movie was fantastic.

Get the Gringo is awesome...you're in for a treat!!!

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Movies don't stay in theaters long enough for word of mouth these days.
I didn't know about the director's cut version of Payback till years later. I think it doesn't have a voiceover which I really enjoy in the theatrical version.
Speaking of different versions, I just watched Kingsman and there was this really hard cut in the middle of the movie. I thought my movie skipped or something. After it was over, I was reading about it and I guess there was this anal sex joke they took out for the blu-ray release. Kind of disappointing considering I just went to youtube and saw it.

I saw Kingsman in the theater and loved it! (To be honest, I'm a church-going dude. With that being said, the church scene in Kingsman was jaw-dropping, intense, and all kinds of screwed up!)

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

That scene rivaled John Wick.
I loved the aftermath outside too.
"Is he dead?"

I've read that a "Kingsman Pt 2" is in the works. If so, I have a feeling that "somehow???" he's not really dead!

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Good zombie movie 'The Crazies'

I haven't seen the original, but I remember liking the remake a lot. That's another one where I've mostly forgotten what happens. The only things I seem to remember off-hand are a little league field scene near the beginning and some sort of crazy car-wash scene later on? I guess I need to add The Crazies to my "re-watch" list.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I have never seen the Mist! I'm checking that out this weekend.
Anyone remember Cloverfield? Came out a few years ago....I found that one interesting...

I've seen the movie version of The Mist several times, but I have not read the original Stephen King story. I thought most everything about the movie was really great...especially all of the crazy creature effects. (Well, I thought the psycho "religious" lady was way too over the top!) The ending....??? I thought it was a ballsy move, but some people seem to dislike it. I seem to recall that after SK watched the ending to the movie, he said that he wished that he had thought of that ending.

PS - I liked Cloverfield. I didn't like the shakey-cam, but I thought the story was quite good. I heard rumors there might be a sequel to this movie years ago, but it's been silence for a long time. I'm thinking a sequel is not going to happen at this point.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Did you see It Follows? I enjoyed it but didn't really understand all of the hubbub. It was a little tense in places but never really scary.

Yep, I saw it! Like you, I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it lived up to the hype.

#74 8 years ago

Earlier in this thread I said I would try to think of some Time Travel/Time Travel-ish movies to recommend. Well, here's a VERY incomplete list:

Older classics:
-The Time Machine
-Somewhere in Time
-Terminator (is this a "classic"? If so, I'm old!)

Newer-ish movies:
-Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel (I love this one...haha! I bet most people in the US have never heard/seen this one!)
-Back to the Future, etc.
-12 Monkeys
-Time Lapse (2014)
-Timecrimes (aka Los cronocrímenes)
-Happy Accidents
-About Time (2013) - This one got to me with the father/son relationship
-Frequency
-Looper
-The Time Traveler’s Wife - This one got to me with the husband/wife relationship
-Predestination (I haven’t seen this one yet, but I read “All You Zombies”)
-Almanac
-Butterfly Effect
-Donnie Darko (I guess this applies?)
-Primer (this one made my head hurt!)
-Triangle (2009)

#75 8 years ago

I just thought of one other monster/horror/sci-fi movie I like:

Deep Rising (1998) is a guilty pleasure! The whole movie is a crazy-fun ride! I wonder what could happen in the event of a sequel...especially with how this movie ends?

#80 8 years ago

I love Time Bandits! I saw it in the theater "back in the day"! I still own a VHS copy.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

A bit on the comedy side, but the original Lake Placid is a mus see. Probably have seen it a dozen times, always a fun. Tremors is another classic sci-fi/comedy.

Yes, Lake Placid is silly, but great fun! The original Tremors was great as well. Supposedly, Tremors Pt. 5 is about to be released!?!?

#82 8 years ago

Grabbers (2012) is yet another goofy horror/scifi monster flick.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. Sci-fi and horror are my two favorite movie genres. There have been some great films already mentioned. I'll echo what people already said about Sunshine. One of the best sci-fi films I've ever seen, but the ending is rather lame. Dark City is easily one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm also glad someone mentioned Deep Rising. It's an awesome modern "creature feature" that a lot of people have never even heard of.
Here are some of my favorites that I don't think have been mentioned yet:
Imposter (2002)
The Others (2001)
Seconds (1966)
The Abyss - Director's Cut (1989)
eXistenZ (1999)
The Thirteenth Floor (1999)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
The Arrival (1996)
28 Days Later... (2002)
Resident Evil (2002)
Dead Alive aka "Braindead" (1992)
Interstellar (2014)

I have seen (nearly) all of the movies you listed, and I liked them all! The only one I haven't seen is Seconds. I looked it up on IMDB, and it sounds great. I'll be watching it soon! Thanks for the tip!

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from Onecooldaddyo:

Some of the lower budget 80s Si-fi movies I watched as a kid, no block busters allowed. Some freaked me out at the time, others my wife and kids have to sit through when I see them flipping though channels on TV, my guilty pleasures.
Freaked me out:
The Gate
Pulse
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Night of the Comet
Critters
Deadly Friend
Maximum Overdrive
Troll
Some of my 80s favorites:
Weird Science
Spacehunter :Adventures int the Forbidden Zone
Explorers
Ice Pirates
Escape from New York
The Running Man
Big Trouble in Little China
The Last Starfighter
D.A.R.Y.L.
Short Circuit
Flight of the Navigator
The Wraith
Cocoon
*Batteries Not Included
They Live. (RIP Roddy Piper)
Innerspace

Wow...you and I must have grown up at a very similar time!

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Ex Machina was a pleasant surprise. I just hope she didn't escape to Philly

Haha! (I liked Ex Machina a lot!)

Here are a couple of other similar movies:
-Automata (2014)
-The Machine (2013)

Thoughts?

#100 8 years ago

Just for fun...here are some (inferior) The Thing-type movies:

-Blood Glacier - This one’s in German. I only know a very limited amount of German so I had to watch an English version of this one. Make sure you don’t watch the English-dubbed version. The dubbing is horrendous! Go for the subtitled version instead. Most of the movie was actually pretty good, but the ending was screwy, an odd choice, and kind of ruined it for me.

-Harbinger Down - A little bit of Alien along with a BUNCH of Carpenter’s The Thing (with bonus LEDs added!). The bad: The dialog is often rough, and a few of the actors were bad enough to take me “out” of the movie frequently. The good: I think this movie has some good practical creature effects (if you can actually see them amongst most of the darkness and shaky cam). Overall: Meh.

-Some older ones I haven’t seen in years are Leviathan (1989) and DeepStar Six (1989). I remember liking one better than the other, but it seems like neither was very good?

PS: Dead Shadows (2012) - This French movie sounds like it should be good, but...hmmm?

#101 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Imposter was the first one I listed. It's one of those movies that slipped through the cracks. Most people have never even heard of it, but it's quite good. Great ending!

I'm probably one of the few people who saw Impostor in the theater back in the day. It's a good Philip K Dick movie!

Dredd (a very different type of movie compared to Impostor) is another that slipped through the cracks. I didn't catch Dredd until it was in the home market. Wow...what a crazy-@$$ movie!

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Another movie that I liked because I knew nothing about it going in: Below. Submarine movie.

Below is another movie I had forgotten about, but liked. I remember renting it on DVD from my local video store, not too long before that place went out of business. The movie was an enjoyable surprise.

1 week later
#122 8 years ago

Primer is good and very complex. If you're in the mood for a different and low-key take on the genre, check out Safety Not Guaranteed. I'll Follow You Down was pretty good. Juko's Time Machine might be fun, but I haven't seen it.

I thought of a "The Thing-type" movie I remember liking. It's Splinter (2008).

I liked the zombie-ish The Signal (2007). (Don't let the brief beginning scene put you off.)

It seems like The Host (aka Gwoemul) from 2006 was decent.

1 week later
#124 8 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I just watched Coherence on the plane yesterday, not bad and definitely an interesting concept

Basically the movie does not have a script, it's based more on improvisation and the actors did not know one another before the filming started. The actors did get a one pager every day of notes for their individual character and did not know what the other guys were getting. with all that in mind, it turned out to be a quite good sci-fi thriller

I liked Coherence and didn't know it was improvised. Interesting! I watched another movie that was kind of similar to Coherence before I watched Coherence. The "other" movie was +1. Coherence is definitely the better of the two, though.

The soon-to-be-released "Blood Punch" sounds interesting!

Also, Ash vs Evil Dead:

1 month later
#128 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Halloween. I think I did hear Raimi was involved but he was involved with the remake as well. I thought the remake was OK

Ash vs Evil Dead premieres later this month, but Bruce is asking for a just little more patience!
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3363926/bruce-campbell-is-asking-for-patience-when-it-comes-to-ash-vs-evil-dead/

In the meantime (if you missed it), this was entertaining from earlier this year:

For what it's worth, I thought the recently-released Cooties movie was a goofy/fun horror-comedy! The Hive was also just released with its combo of Memento and a bit of Evil Dead-ishness. I mostly liked it. Tremors 5 just came out as well. I loved the original, but I haven't been keeping up with sequels, and I haven't seen "Part 5". Maybe it's time to catch-up?

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

When I was in 7th grade, I went to a friend's house to spend the night. It always seemed like these were occasions to watch things normally not seen at home, especially considering we just had antenna.

Wow, that's exactly the same as me! While spending the night at friends houses, I encountered such gems like Alien, Escape From New York, The Shining, and The Thing. (Sometimes that made it hard to go to sleep, though.) There was also funny stuff like Caddyshack, Vacation, etc.

#131 8 years ago

With Halloween coming soon...I was reminded of Trick 'r Treat (2007). It's a fun anthology film sort of in the same vein as Tales From The Crypt. It's one of those films that rewards the viewer for watching it more than once!

FWIW - I recently read that the guy who made T'rT still hopes to make a sequel to it. If he does, he intends to have Sam come back for more mischief!

PS - I got a rock!

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

You should change the title to this thread to just a common movie discussion. I just watched both Escape movies. New York was still as good as ever. L.A. wasn't very good but highlights were Bruce Campbell under a bunch of makeup and the ending. When I was little, I thought that ending was so intriguing and I couldn't imagine where they would go with a sequel.

I think your suggestion is a very good idea! Maybe the title of this thread should become something like, "List/discuss all of your favorite movies here". NOTE: I looked into changing the title of this thread, but I couldn't figure out how the heck to actually do that here on Pinside. I feel like such an ignoramus! If anyone can help me with changing the title of this thread here on Pinside, then feel free to respond in this thread and/or PM me and/or just "DO IT" moderators!

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I had the same problem. lol
Edit the first post you made and it will give you the option to change the title.
Someone suggested watching a horror movie every day of October, so tonight I watched The Ring. It had been a long time and it was really good. I didn't know Gore Verbinski was the director. It might be his best movie alongside Pirates of the Carribean and Rango. I am into movie soundtracks and I thought Hans Zimmer's score was really good. Also enjoyed the misdirection in the ending. I've never watched The Ring Two but I'll probably give it a try tomorrow.

I just followed your instructions, and I think it worked! Thanks!

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Ha! I saw the topic and was confused at first.

I just slightly changed the topic again! I think I'll leave it at this: "Discuss movies here! (Your favorite, least favorite, or anywhere inbetween...)"

That seems to cover everything, right?!

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Sure. I like any movie talk, especially right after I've seen something.

Have you seen The Martian yet? I just saw it and liked it. I didn't read the book so I don't know how the movie compares to the written word?

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Nope, I haven't seen a movie in theatre since I watched Mad Max and Jurassic World same night. I'm thinking about watching Goosebumps but I might just wait till Star Wars to go to the theater next. Oh wait, I want to take mom and dad to see Bone Tomahawk.

Hmmmm...I don't see many movies in the theaters these days either!

With that being said, I "mostly" liked the new Jurassic World movie, yet I "REALLY" liked the new Mad Max movie! The Goosebumps books became popular after I was too old to read them. Still, I heard positive things about them. From the trailer, I think the Goosebumps movie looks like good/scary-ish fun for the whole family! Maybe it's sort of in the same vein as "fun/classic stuff" like: Monster Squad, Gremlins, Critters, etc?

PS - Anything with Kurt Russell (ie: Bone Tomahawk)...and I'M INTERESTED!

#150 8 years ago

If you like the horrific silliness of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, you might like the short, low-budget, four-part, web series called, "HellHoles".

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

#151 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I wish I could watch Westworld again. Wish it were on Netflix or Bluray. I didn't know there was a sequel.

Westworld TV series coming from HBO in 2016!

#154 8 years ago

Update:

I just changed the title of this thread (one LAST time?) to, "Discuss movies, TV shows, and web-content here!"

Okay, now...THAT just about covers everything once and for all, right?!?

#156 8 years ago
#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I don't have HBO.

Me neither...

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Don't know what to say, when 'The Human Centipede' move is in existence, not sure that's right, and I like disturbing movies but at what point do you think 'that's over the line?'

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've seen clips of it but never seen the whole thing. I really have zero interest.

I'm not a fan of the "torture-for-entertainment" genre.

On a lighter note, I present this to you:

#163 8 years ago

One Week...hmmm...I liked this movie! To be fair, it reminded me of some "unexpected CRAP" in my life and/or the lives of my family and close friends. One Week also reminded me of good times I've had road-tripping back and forth across North America.

1 week later
#168 8 years ago

I just re-watched Edge of Tomorrow. Wow, what a great sci-fi/action flick!

I recently re-watched Grabbers as well. I think it's a fun/goofy/sci-fi flick! It seems to be a distant cousin of Deep Rising?

PS: Ash Vs Evil Dead debuts later this week...Woohoo!

#171 8 years ago

I just watched the first episode of Ash vs Evil Dead. I had a whole lot of expectations going into it.

I felt it was a bit of a mixed bag at the beginning. Then again, they have to establish what has happened in the last 30 or so years and what is happening now so there's "THAT" to contend with!

By the end, though, I was cheering, laughing, and clapping! (The last line in this first episode put a big smile on my face.) I can't wait to see what happens next.

#173 8 years ago

I just watched the first episode of Utopia. It's a 2013 UK TV show that consists of twelve 1-hour episodes. I had heard good things about it, and the first episode didn't disappoint. I hope the next 11 are as entertaining/intriguing as the first.

Another UK TV series to check out is Misfits. It's sort of like Heroes, but funnier, naughtier, and better.

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

I just watched the first episode of Utopia. It's a 2013 UK TV show that consists of twelve 1-hour episodes. I had heard good things about it, and the first episode didn't disappoint. I hope the next 11 are as entertaining/intriguing as the first.

I watched the second episode of Utopia. Wow...great stuff! It makes me wonder how many other under-the-radar shows are out there that I've missed?

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I checked out the first two episodes of Ash vs. Evil Dead. They were really great. The first episode had a really great blend of jokes and scares. When the cops were checking out that house at the beginning of the episode, I was freaked out. Bruce Campbell was great and I liked how he went from bumbling idiot to badass. The CG was a little weak, especially when they used so many practical effects that looked great. I can't wait to watch the rest of it.

Yeah, I liked the first two episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead too! I agree with you about some of the CGI effects, but thankfully most of the effects seem to be "real".

FWIW: I've now watched the first season (six episodes) of the UK TV series of Utopia. It was a wild and crazy ride the whole way through. I hope the second season can somehow live up to the first.

#177 8 years ago

You never really believe that you'll have old bones...I tell ya...it's a blink from diapers to depends!

1 week later
#180 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I watched Spectre last night. It was a little slow to start but had some good music at the beginning with a Mexican style Bond theme. I was hoping Bautista was Jaws because he was that style of character and I hope he comes back for another movie. Blofeld was interesting but a little disappointing. It felt a little long at 2 hrs 28 min and the middle dragged a little. Probably the third best Craig Bond movie.
I would like to see a return to the plot not being personally connected to Bond. All of the Craig Bond movies try give some sort of backstory to Bond which I never remember the older ones not doing.

Interesting!!! Thanks so much for the review! (I haven't watched Spectre, yet.)

FWIW: I've watched the first three episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead. Wow...such...CRAZY/AWESOME stuff!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outlander-2008-movie-similar-genre-movies-you-might-recommend?tu=captk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.