(Topic ID: 134536)

Discuss movies, TV shows, and web-content here!

By CaptK

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dmbjunky
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bone-tomahawk.jpg
Impostor.png
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 3 years ago

It’s been a while since I watched Outlander (2008). Well, I just re-watched it tonight and was reminded that it’s a pretty darn good sci-fi/horror/monster movie. If I remember correctly, something went wrong with the distribution back in its day so most people never saw the movie back when it was new? If you enjoy movies like Alien/Aliens, Carpenter’s The Thing, or Predator, I think you might appreciate Outlander. If you haven’t seen it, check it out. If you have seen it, what do you think?

While we’re at it...
If you have any other sci-fi/horror/monster movies that you feel are worth seeing, then feel free to post here. Vintage black and white movies are welcome as well.

PS - It's been a long time since I watched Starship Troopers. I think I may need to re-visit that one sometime soon? (2x Bonus: ST became a pin!)

#2 3 years ago

I've never seen Outlander. May have to check it out? I watched Pandorum on Netflix a few years back and it seemed similar to Alien. Obviously it wasn't as good but it may be worth checking out. I rewatched The Thing just recently and really enjoy that movie. I need to watch the more recent prequel. I've heard good things.

#3 3 years ago

For me "Moon" from 2009 was pretty good..hardly anyone saw it at the time, I'm fan of Sam Rockwell so I put it on the netflix que when it was released. Since then it's built a big following. Now mind you it's not an action movie. Second Sci fi flick that I think deserves a lot of accolade is "Dark City". Check them out.....

#4 3 years ago

I keep wanting to watch Moon. I know it's my kind of movie but I just keep putting it off. Dark City has a big cult following and is the reason I bought it on DVD (remember those) but it was kind of mixed bag for me.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've never seen Outlander. May have to check it out? I watched Pandorum on Netflix a few years back and it seemed similar to Alien. Obviously it wasn't as good but it may be worth checking out. I rewatched The Thing just recently and really enjoy that movie. I need to watch the more recent prequel. I've heard good things.

I saw Pandorum years ago. I think(?) it was pretty good? I saw a similar-type movie more recently, but I've forgotten what it was called. If I figure it out, I'll let you know. Carpenter's Thing is a classic! I thought the earlier black-and-white version was pretty silly. The Thing (2011) prequel is a mixed bag. It has some interesting ideas and has some GREAT tie-ins to Carpenter's movie! With that being said, some of the CGI takes you a bit out of the 2011 movie at times. (I read that it was all practical effects originally, but some bonehead producers decided to cover most of them up with CGI during post production.) Even though the 2011 version is sort of a rehash of the 1982 version and has some problems, it's still worth seeing. Check it out!

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

For me "Moon" from 2009 was pretty good..hardly anyone saw it at the time, I'm fan of Sam Rockwell so I put it on the netflix que when it was released. Since then it's built a big following. Now mind you it's not an action movie. Second Sci fi flick that I think deserves a lot of accolade is "Dark City". Check them out.....

I totally agree...Moon is another great under-seen/under-appreciated movie! It's not really monster/horror, but it is GREAT sci-fi! I forgot about Dark City. I saw it so many years ago. I can't remember the whole story, but I remember liking it. I think it was sort of a dark, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery movie? Maybe it even had a bit of a pre-Matrix vibe to it???

#7 3 years ago

Pandorum is better than the reviews at the time gave it credit. Nadia is hot. Love Dark City. One of my favorites. Moon is pretty good too.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

I totally agree...Moon is another great under-seen/under-appreciated movie! It's not really monster/horror, but it is GREAT sci-fi! I forgot about Dark City. I saw it so many years ago. I can't remember the whole story, but I remember liking it. I think it was sort of a dark, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery movie? Maybe it even had a bit of a pre-Matrix vibe to it???

Yeah...Dark city was really well done, I don't want type any spoilers, so I'll refrain from saying too much. I still have no idea how they pulled off the building morph stuff back then.

#9 3 years ago

And lest I forget, Gattaca. Really good sci-fi.....

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

And lest I forget, Gattaca. Really good sci-fi.....

I only own 12 to 15 titles on Blueray, Gattaca was the first.

PS: You guys have to see Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" before CGI that thing is a master piece.

#11 3 years ago

Brazil is awesome! I'm going to toss out 12 Monkeys as another favorite. Now I'm going to log off and nuke my computer by upgrading to Windows 10. Wish me luck!

#12 3 years ago

Very low budget and quite dated now but "Cube" was bizarrely enthralling imo. Impressive what a low budget one or two-room set could accomplish. The sequels weren't as good (Hypercube being the weakest) but they are worth watching for some abstract sci-fi horror.

"Europa Report" was very low key but interesting and unique. A bit slow at times but would watch again.

"Sunshine" is awesome (like 10/10 awesome) right up until the finale of the movie; Then it becomes just ok.

It has issues and is quite disturbing in some scenes, but "Event Horizon" has always seemed decent to me. Many disagree.

Agree that "Pandorum" is good stuff

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

I saw Pandorum years ago. I think(?) it was pretty good? I saw a similar-type movie more recently, but I've forgotten what it was called. If I figure it out, I'll let you know. Carpenter's Thing is a classic! I thought the earlier black-and-white version was pretty silly. The Thing (2011) prequel is a mixed bag. It has some interesting ideas and has some GREAT tie-ins to Carpenter's movie! With that being said, some of the CGI takes you a bit out of the 2011 movie at times. (I read that it was all practical effects originally, but some bonehead producers decided to cover most of them up with CGI during post production.) Even though the 2011 version is sort of a rehash of the 1982 version and has some problems, it's still worth seeing. Check it out!

I thought the Thing reboot/prequel was horrible, but Carpenter's version is a perfect film in it's own right. The remake had a lot of potential though. Even if you take the effects angle out of it, the story was very poor.

Someone mentioned Dark City (which is 10 years old), which is a great film as is Gattaca. Donnie Darko was made at the same time and is excellent as well if you haven't seen it. Another good one from the late 90's is Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness, which is a pretty cool HP Lovecraft type film...and it was John's last good film.

I thought with those three films that sci-fi/horror was going in the right direction, but it hasn't.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Very low budget and quite dated now but "Cube" was bizarrely enthralling imo. Impressive what a low budget two-room set could accomplish. The sequels weren't as good (Hypercube being the weakest) but they are worth watching for some abstract sci-fi horror.
"Europa Report" was very low key but interesting and unique. A bit slow at times but would watch again.
"Sunshine" is awesome (like 10/10 awesome) right up until the finale of the movie; Then it becomes just ok.
It has issues and is quite disturbing in some scenes, but "Event Horizon" has always seemed decent to me. Many disagree.
Agree that "Pandorum" is good stuff

I want to like Event Horizon so much, and I've watched it at least 6 times, but the damn thing disappoints me all the time! That could have been a great sci-fi/horror film. Cube was great too, even the sequels are impressive.

Another one that is more horror than Sci Fi is Session 9, and for a recent one Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell was impressive.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

The prequel I thought was great!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah...Dark city was really well done, I don't want type any spoilers, so I'll refrain from saying too much, I still have no idea how they pulled off the building morph stuff back then.

Okay, that's it...I'm going back and watching Dark City! It's been so long that I pretty much don't remember any specifics. It will be (nearly) like watching it for the first time. Woohoo!

PS - I just remembered "Cube". I looked it up, and it was released in 1997. I remember coming across it in a video store back in the day. It looked interesting at that time, so I rented it. I remember liking it a lot! For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it's low-budget. I mostly remember the set-up was intriguing and sort of like a "very-horrific" Twilight Zone episode. This is another one I need to re-visit!

Edit: After posting this message, I saw that purpledrillmonkey also mentioned "Cube"!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I want to like Event Horizon so much, and I've watched it at least 6 times, but the damn thing disappoints me all the time! That could have been a great sci-fi/horror film.

I agree. I actually like the concept so much I think it taints my true memory of the film and make me like it more than I should...

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

I just remembered "Cube". I looked it up, and it was released in 1997. I remember coming across it in a video store back in the day. It looked interesting at that time, so I rented it. I remember liking it a lot! For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it's low-budget. I mostly remember the set-up was intriguing and sort of like a "very-horrific" Twilight Zone episode. This is another one I need to re-visit!

Budget was $350k supposedly according to the infallible Wikipedia.

Check out Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero as well. They are a bit more sloppy on execution (especially #2) but are equally as odd and entertaining.

#19 3 years ago

<blockquote cite="#25940

I went to theater to see Sunshine..thought it was outstanding, but I agree....the ending kind of sucked

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I went to theater to see this movie....thought it was outstanding, but I agree....the ending kind of sucked

I saw it randomly in some stack of DVDs back in the day - came out of nowhere for me. There's nothing in modern sci-fi that consistently compares to how great the first acts of the movie are, then it's like a new director and writer step in to pen the last act...

#21 3 years ago

I hated Outlander because it was an almost exact duplicate of an actual good movie Beowulf. If you actually liked Outlander you will LOVE Beowulf! Give it a watch.

#22 3 years ago

A good scifi flick I enjoyed was Soldier with Kurt Russell. Its the first time I heard the term "sidequel" to BladeRunner.

#23 3 years ago

I thought Hardware was an interesting Terminator-style movie. I don't know why, but I can watch I Come In Peace repeatedly. Kinda corny, but it's fun.

#24 3 years ago

I agree. I actually like the concept so much I think it taints my true memory of the film and make me like it more than I should...

I remember living in Oregon at the time and going to see Event Horizon by myself in a theater. For whatever reason(s), that movie freaked me out!

Someone on here previously mentioned Sunshine. I remember liking that one too. I think I need to re-watch that one! What about District 9? That's another I only saw once and liked it, but have mostly forgotten what happens.

Another person previously mentioned Session 9 in this thread. I saw that one back when it was released, and I remember really liking it. That's another rarely-heard-of movie. That's another I need to go back and re-watch. If I remember correctly, they filmed that movie in a derelict "real" mad house, and there was asbestos "loose" in the ceiling/floor as they filmed. I seem to also remember the plot in that film changed a bit as they were filming. I think I heard this in a commentary track?

#25 3 years ago

Lots of great suggestions, but I'd add to the list Donnie Darko. Still makes me scratch my head, the plot's not the easiest to digest but certainly thought provoking.
I like Children of men too, some of the scenes are extremely long and well filmed. Very good!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

A good scifi flick I enjoyed was Soldier with Kurt Russell. Its the first time I heard the term "sidequel" to BladeRunner.

I had totally forgotten about Soldier!

Didn't Soldier get a bad rap back when it was first released!?! If so, I'm not sure why. If I remember correctly, it still kicks @$$! I'm going to go back and watch this movie soon! Thanks for reminding me!

As far as the "sidequel" term goes...does that have anything to do with the "junkyard" scene in Soldier? I've heard there are some "notable" spaceships in that junkyard! (Pictures???)

PS - Some Donnie Darko talk above as well...WHOA! If you're going to watch DD, make SURE you watch the director's cut! It still might be a bit confusing, but it's the best version!

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I hated Outlander because it was an almost exact duplicate of an actual good movie Beowulf. If you actually liked Outlander you will LOVE Beowulf! Give it a watch.

Interesting...I'll check it out!

#28 3 years ago

Yes, the junkyard scene.....and the different places his character had been...."Ten house of gates..." I think thats what it was called....

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Yes, the junkyard scene.....and the different places his character had been...."Ten house of gates..." I think thats what it was called....

Thanks for the info...Pinside people are awesome!

#30 3 years ago

Along similar lines with Pandorum and Sunshine, there's also Event Horizon. Also, the Riddick series (4 movies)

Ultraviolet and Aeon Flux--not exactly great movies worth more than a single viewing, but not that awful either. Put these at the bottom of the pile.

The Island--decent futuristic dystopia flick, though a bit cheesy at times. Vaguely similar ballpark as Gattaca.

Minority Report and Paycheck.

Solder, and The 13th Warrior - Similar to Outlander.

Timeline

Screamers, and Screamers: The Hunting

Demolition Man, Running Man, and Total Recall (the original, not the remake)

Cypher

Unbreakable--Not sci-fi, but still a really good film.

Bicentennial Man

Equilibrium

For more of a fantasy / supernatural / Vampires slant:
Prince of Persia
Solomon Kane
Daybreakers
Underworld series
Blade series
Stake Land
Reign of Fire

Zombies / Horror:
28 Days Later, & 28 Weeks Later
Pulse, & Pulse 2
Re-animator, Bride of Re-Animator, and Beyond Re-Animator
Zombieland
Land of the Dead

Alien Invasion:
Skyline
Battle for LA
Battleship

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Lots of great suggestions, but I'd add to the list Donnie Darko. Still makes me scratch my head, the plot's not the easiest to digest but certainly thought provoking.
I like Children of men too, some of the scenes are extremely long and well filmed. Very good!

There's a director's cut of Donnie Darko, which might help fill in some of the blanks.

#32 3 years ago

Great recommendations, haven't seen Soldier or Outlander but they're on the list now. I agree that Pandorum was way underrated for what it was.

Dredd - the remake was much, much better than I expected. Better than the original, in fact.
From Beyond - Insane. Same director as re-animator, yet more Lovecraft. At that, watch Re-Animator if you've not seen that.
Forbidden World - Alien-esque, a little newer and a lot campier

If you like Moon/Donnie Darko/Sunshine, watch the original Solaris.

Silent Running is another underrated classic Moon-esque movie. Nothing too flashy but it's got that ... something.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Alien Invasion:

Edge of Tomorrow/Live, Die, Repeat is probably the best alien invasion film I've seen in recent memory. Might be the best I've seen, actually. It's not really a genre that lends itself to greatness. Give it a shot.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Re-animator, Bride of Re-Animator, and Beyond Re-Animator

The Re-Animator series.....awesome! To those I'll add From Beyond.

And Scanners

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Law:

If you like Moon/Donnie Darko/Sunshine, watch the original Solaris.

Never saw the original Solaris, but the remake is a bizarre movie.

#36 3 years ago

The 13th Warrior is comparable to Outlander; good call by ForceFlow. I greatly enjoy, and own, Dark City, but it's a different animal from Outlander. More noir, more thoughtful. Brazil is, and always has been, outstanding, but not an Outlander type movie. Gattaca was filmed where I work, so I have a bias working when I recommend it.

#37 3 years ago

oh man yes - Edge of Tomorrow is excellent. Great example of a movie that should not have worked and sounded retarded, but it totally pulled it off.

Bit of a tangent, but if we're delving into Lovecraftian horror/sci-fi I would strongly recommend acquiring a Gamecube or Wii and playing through "Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requiem". By far one of the greatest modern experiences inspired by that type of cosmic horror.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

yeah, although there was a director's cut that was released a bit after and it really filled the holes, although too much. Not sure which version I like more, but all in all, it's a great film with a GREAT soundtrack.

#39 3 years ago

oh man yes - Edge of Tomorrow is excellent. Great example of a movie that should not have worked and sounded retarded, but it totally pulled it off.
Bit of a tangent, but if we're delving into Lovecraftian horror/sci-fi I would strongly recommend acquiring a Gamecube or Wii and playing through "Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requiem". By far one of the greatest modern experiences inspired by that type of cosmic horror.

I will have to check those out. I'm a HP Lovecraft fan, and his movies rarely translate to good films.

Speaking of Lovecrat, the HP Lovecraft Historical Society has released two adaptions of his films. The Call of Cthulhu, and The Whisperer in the Darkness. They are slightly amateurish, but still very good adaptions and really capture the essence of his writing. Check them out, they are available on Amazon. Gordon tried with his films (Dagon, Re-Animator), but they come short.

As a side rant, I grew up with all the classic sci-fi/horror films of the 30's-60's, and I can't even list the # of hours I've spent watching modern films that are just trash. Most of the good ones are listed here, but there are so many wasted opportunities out there.

And if you haven't seen them yet, you have to obtain the original 2 seasons of The Outer Limits. The writing and cinematography used in that series is second to none. I still watch them and why that show isn't regarded higher than The Twilight Zone (which is really hit and miss), I have no idea.

For "newer" films, Alien and The Thing are the two

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

The original Blade Runner quote refers to the Tannhauser Gate;
http://bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/Tannhauser_Gate
...which is then also referenced in Soldier.

If you want to delve more into the Lovecraft/creature horror, a film I can't recommend more highly is Frank Darabont's adaption of the Stephen King book, The Mist.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884328/

Excellent performance by Thomas Jane, and an absolutely stunning ending (I won't spoil it) that was quite a bit stronger than the book. So powerful, in fact, that Stephen King has been quoted as wishing he would have written it that way...

Later,
EV

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

Interesting...I'll check it out!

Make sure it is this one though.

image.jpg

#42 3 years ago

I just watched a movie called 'The Descent' which is about a group of girls exploring a cave but get into trouble.

I watched an older movie called 'House of the Devil' which is really creepy.

Ted who is a Pinsider (spfxted) produced a movie called 'Deadly Spawn' I won't say it's the best movie ever but it's not the worst.

image.jpg

#43 3 years ago

There's a time travel movie called 'Primer' again, not the greatest but it was made for $7k. I like seeing what can be done with a micro budget.

I'll second 'Moon' the director Duncan Jones is David Bowies son and also directed 'Source Code' with Jake Gyllenhaal.

Tom Cruise 'Day after tomorrow' was also entertaining and has SST vibe.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

There's a time travel movie called 'Primer' again, not the greatest but it was made for $7k. I like seeing what can be done with a micro budget.
I'll second 'Moon' the director Duncan Jones is David Bowies son and also directed 'Source Code' with Jake Gillianhall.
Tom Cruise 'Day after tomorrow' was also entertaining and has SST vibe.

Tom Cruise movie was Edge of Tomorrow. I agree that it was excellent. One of the best movies I saw last year.

Oblivion wasn't bad either, also Tom Cruise.

#45 3 years ago

Yes, I keep getting that title mixed up.

Has Bill Paxton another pinball veteran.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Oblivion wasn't bad either, also Tom Cruise

actually it was pretty good. It came out around the same time and got lumped in with "After Earth" in my mind so I never gave it a chance , but after seeing much later it turned out to be ~1000x better than After Earth...

#47 3 years ago

I haven't given After Earth a shot, it didn't look good. Not to mention I'm not a fan of Jaden Smith. In the Day the Earth Stood Still, it seemed like he was trying for an Oscar in every scene.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I haven't given After Earth a shot, it didn't look good. Not to mention I'm not a fan of Jaden Smith. In the Day the Earth Stood Still, it seemed like he was trying for an Oscar in every scene.

It wasn't great. You're not missing much. It was somewhat cringewothy at certain points.

It would've been a much better film with someone else in the lead role.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It was somewhat cringewothy

Amen...

#50 3 years ago

I just thought of another one similar to Outlander: Pathfinder.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 115.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 89.99
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 53.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 109.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside