• Latest reply 8 years ago by tomh52722
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

above-pf-trough.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I just bought my first pinball machine and was hoping you could give me some repair advice.  Worked great at the previous owners house, bought it and gently transported it home in my truck, installed in my basement and she worked great except the outhole kicker started to act up after about 25+ or so games.  The machine is a Williams F14 Tomcat.  The specific problem is that the outhole kicker is having trouble kicking the ball up the shoot after the ball drains past the flippers.   It will try to get the ball up the shoot over and over coming up just short, eventually it will get the ball up, but sometimes it takes like 10 tries.  Seems like it just doesnt have enough "kick" to get the ball where it needs to go.  Also, may not be relevent but it seemed like it got worse the longer the machine was on (we were playing for several hours).  Is there a way to test the solenoid with an ohm meter or something?  I am proficient at soldering and other basic electromechanical repairs so any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Travis

#2 12 years ago

First thing I'd do would be clean everything well to make sure that's not your issue.

Then I'd replace the coil sleeve. If that coil has been working hard, it probably heated the sleeve up and possibly melted it slightly. Sleeve should slide fairly easily out of the coil. If it doesn't, it's a sign it's warped in some way - which will impact the travel of the plunger.

You can test a coil with your MM set to ohms - probe on each lug (power off) and it should read > 3 ohms at a minimum (some much higher). Less than 3 ohms should be replaced.

Sounds like a mechanical problem though, not an electrical one. Something is binding, and my money is on the plunger/sleeve.

#3 12 years ago

You need to look in there close and see if the ball is hitting anything on it's way up.

#4 12 years ago

I will do a complete inspection tonite! I know the part number for the kicker solenoid, how do i find which replacement sleeve i would need if that ends up being the problem?

#5 12 years ago

I know I had the same issue on a Bally Elektra.... Make sure the ball trough is set exactly straight. Might take some tweaking....

#6 12 years ago

The other guys make a good point, often it's just an alignment issue.

Me pointing you to the sleeve, etc. was based on the fact that it appears to worsen once the coil heats up. But by all means exhaust the other options first.

#7 12 years ago

My kid just told me that he just tried it and it worked fine at first but seem to get progressively worse the longer he played?!? To me it soundslike something is heating up and not working as well after a while. Do the coils go bad in these usually or would it be unusual? Also what does the previously mentioned sleve do? I found the AE-23-800-1 kicker solenoid for sale, assume the coil/sleve are seperate, if so how do i know which one i would need and where can i get them?

#8 12 years ago

Those outhole kickers go bad. Just replace the coil and be done with it. It should come with it's sleeve in it.

#9 12 years ago

I have the owners manual which has the solenoid part number, but its at home so icant check to see if it has it listed or not. Iam good with these types of repairs and have done such with aircraft avionics and such just never messed with a pinball machine other than putting quarters in them asa kid! Are the coils close to the solenoids usually? Just wonderinghow hard ot will be to trace down the coil. Thanks a million guys, i have kids dying to play it!

#10 12 years ago

solenoid = coil. The words are used interchangeably. I believe the correct technical term is "solenoid coil".

The coil sleeve just slides inside the coil to give the plunger a nice smooth surface to slide on. Old coil sleeves were brass I think - new ones are nylon. If the coil sleeve gets dirty, melted, etc. the plunger doesn't move freely and the whole thing becomes sluggish.

If you do buy a new coil, it will come with the sleeve installed. I don't know the specific part # for just the sleeve - they are pretty standard, just tell them you need a sleeve for that coil and it'll be easy.

I'd also say that if your kicker is that sluggish - and if you've got sleeve/binding issues - you should be able to feel it by manually manipulating the plunger. Should be 100% smooth with no catching or binding.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

I'd also say that if your kicker is that sluggish - and if you've got sleeve/binding issues - you should be able to feel it by manually manipulating the plunger. Should be 100% smooth with no catching or binding.

This - if it moves smoothly, your problem is likely alignment. It's amazing how much of a difference a few-degree angle makes.

#12 12 years ago

If you want a quick fix. the knocker in the back box uses the same coil. Swap em. (it's in the upper right corner of the backbox.

#13 12 years ago

From what you describe it seems your coil is good. Checking/cleaning the trough, plunger, new coil sleeve etc as stated above is a good place to start.

Heres a problem I've encountered on System 11 games before. Check the peg that the mechanisim that strikes the ball pivots on. Sometimes this weld can break and it gets loose.

How are the other coils in the game, are they firing good? Reason I ask is last time I encountered this problem it was low wall voltage.

#14 12 years ago

With all due respect to hawkeye, ( he is right, those things CAN go wrong and can be checked while installing your new coil. ) I have three coils in my spares box that look and feel fine but they are weak. F-14 is 25 years old. I have one, i love it. Replace the coil. theyre 8 dollars! If that fails, work up the chain, but then youll know the coil is good.

#15 12 years ago

No need to debate whether the coil is good or not. Check the ohms and you'll know for sure. The proper ohms can be found in the manual.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

No need to debate whether the coil is good

debate is fun. Here's my experience. Not as extensive as many, but experience nonetheless -

I've never had a coil go "weak". I've had coils break and quit working, but never go "weak".

I have had coils show weak behavior, and in a moment of laziness I've just swapped out the entire coil and yes, the problem is fixed. Upon inspecting the old coil, the coil sleeve couldn't be removed. Cut it out of there, put a new one in, and viola! The coil is now "strong".

For one coil, $8-10 bucks, why not I guess. But if you are "shopping" an entire machine...well, 55 cents for a sleeve or 8 bucks for a new coil. It adds up after awhile.

Again, just my experience, but if the coil shows proper resistance in the Ohm test, 99.5% of the time you will get the same results by changing the sleeve (55 cents) as you will by changing the coil ($10). Assuming of course no other issues like mushroomed plungers, etc.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

debate is fun.

Agreed. But in this case we can end the debate with a simple test.

#18 12 years ago

I agree with you hawkeye. From my earlier post....

Quoted from examiner:

You can test a coil with your MM set to ohms - probe on each lug (power off) and it should read > 3 ohms at a minimum (some much higher). Less than 3 ohms should be replaced.

I just see too many people buying new coils when the old ones are fine....

#19 12 years ago

I just spent a week doing everything under the sun to a weak flipper coil in pinbot. new sleeve, new plunger, new EOS switch. All that time the flipper tested within parameters as examiner stated. No Luck. finally bought a new coil and everything worked.

Part of the fun is shaking out the gremlins in my opinion!

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

No Luck. finally bought a new coil and everything worked.

ha! and that's the rub. What *should* work doesn't always work, and sometimes vice versa.

I've been on a lot of threads today because I'm not busy at work.....but I know that everything I throw out there is just my idea and my opinion and by no means do I think it is the definitive last word. I try to base my posts on my experience, but the collective experience here obviously greatly exceeds my own.

And that's the beauty of the place. As in life, the more possible solutions you have, the better the likely outcome!

#21 12 years ago

Thanks for idea about swapping the one in backbox! Coils cheap. Its the main moving part in pin. Replace it.

#22 12 years ago

Just pulled mine apart and the sleeve was cracked. Ordered a new coil (even though I think mine is fine) with a sleeve in it. Also ordered a backup sleeve because it's a cheap part. Funny thing I put it all back together with the broken sleeve and it works fine now. Gonna replace the parts anyway.

#23 12 years ago

There are four main causes of a weak kicker to the shooter lane.
1) dry or rusted pivot. Take off snap ring, disassemble, clean, reassemble with light 3-in-1 machine oil.

2) badly mushroomed end of kicker. After 30 years of smacking a steel ball you would give up and mushroom over too

3) swollen coil causing sleeve to shrink and bind on solenoid plunger. This overheating is usually caused by repeated kicks which itself is caused by #4...

4) broken or missing wire gate in trough. This U shaped wireform is a one way gate allowing the ball to kick out but not roll back into the trough. It's very small diameter and is made from music wire so it's somewhat brittle. Do NOT attempt to replace with a paperclip as it is too soft and will not last. Yes, I've seen people do this

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

4) broken or missing wire gate in trough. This U shaped wireform is a one way gate allowing the ball to kick out but not roll back into the trough. It's very small diameter and is made from music wire so it's somewhat brittle. Do NOT attempt to replace with a paperclip as it is too soft and will not last. Yes, I've seen people do this []

Cliffy, is that on WH2O as well? I have the problem with the ball bouncing back into the trough.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Cliffy, is that on WH2O as well? I have the problem with the ball bouncing back into the trough.

I'm glad you asked Yes! WH20, and a select few other WPC era Williams games use the old style ball trough. Most used the upkicker opto style troughs but not all. Easy way to tell is to look at the kickout end. If it's square it's the upkicker style. If it's a round end it'll be the older above playfield style. All that I've ever seen of the old style use a wire gate to prevent balls rolling back over the hump.

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

All that I've ever seen of the old style use a wire gate to prevent balls rolling back over the hump.

Do you happen to have any images that show the wire gate or a link to where I could buy one?

Thanks!

#27 12 years ago

Do you happen to have any images that show the wire gate or a link to where I could buy one?

What amazing timing you have! I was just thinking... "maybe I should show a picture..."

This is from my Pin*bot restoration. I've labeled the wire gate and critical pivot point. Hopefully all who followed this thread will come back to see

above-pf-trough.jpgabove-pf-trough.jpg

4 years later
#28 8 years ago

I am having this issue with my space station pinball. Does anyone happen to know the part number for the coil (or where I can find it) and where to buy it? Any help or advice would be appreciated

#29 8 years ago

Also is this a pretty easy repair (replacing coil) that a beginner could do?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outhole-kicker-weak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.