4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CLEllison
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Playing a game and I noticed the ball was kicked out slower than normal and next time I hear the audio sound of the ball getting ejected but no actual ejection. Obviously the switch is doing it's job as a ball is detected, the coil is not firing.

Rottendog board FYI
    According to the Williams schematics - Q82 and J130
    I tested the coil which is a 26-1200 and ohms out at 11 (matches all other coil readings of same part #).
    Tested transistor, diode and resistor in circuit (read out matches all other readings of same part #'s in circuit).
    Tested continuity from coil lug thin wire to connector on J130

Things I haven't done: Thrown anything or shorted coil lugs to see if it fires.

I realize a transistor (in this case an IRL520N) can test good and still be bad (and tested out of circuit is best). Where should I go from here?

#2 4 years ago

Odd. I put the board back in and low and behold it started to work again. After about 8 uses it's back to its crap again. I reseated cables, connectors... nope. I turn the game on and instead of it doing a ball search (because the ball is stuck in the outhole) it acts normal. Go to start a game and it wont. After the 3rd press if forces a ball search and oddly enough that coil doesnt fire. I went into the test menu, switch tests fine and the coil doesnt fire. I also tested continuity on every leg of the transistor on the topside to the bottom to ensure I wasnt dealing with a solder joint. Nope. I'm at a loss here ladies and gents. Should I order a new coil and shotgun new parts into Q82 while I'm at it?

#3 4 years ago

Try and ground (very briefly) to metal plate on Q82 and see if the coil fires.
    Could also be a bad connection on the molex connector.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

Try and ground (very briefly) to metal plate on Q82 and see if the coil fires.
    Could also be a bad connection on the molex connector.

I did use a punch down tool, however I'll run a continuity test from coil power to leg on transistor to ensure continuity. If that works I'll test power output on J130 with molex disconnected and grounding the tab as suggested. Thanks for the help!

#5 4 years ago

Yea I hate those type of connectors, you never know for sure if your getting a good connection.
    Good luck

#6 4 years ago

Reseat ribbon from cpu to driver board. This maybe the issue.

#7 4 years ago

It helps when you're testing the right things lol. Not Q82 it's Q76 duh. Doesn't fire grounding the tab but tests good in circuit - go figure. I tested everything else header pin connector to transistor, molex receptacle to coil and it all checks out. According to pinwiki a transistor can test good and still be bad and considering there's a path of continuity all the way from the board to the coil available I guess I'm ordering a new transistor. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outhole-coil-not-firing-on-fh?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.