• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

display.jpg
fr_182_size640.jpg
#1 12 years ago

The display on our Addams Family is outgassing big time. I've noticed it's gotten worse since last week, and it's even gotten worse since the day before yesterday! Should we change it immediately before any damage is done to the boards? By outgassing I mean big chunks of the display are faded out, and somewhat flickering as the image changes.

#2 12 years ago

might be your DMD control board frying out

#3 12 years ago

Played it again this morning, not as bad as it was yesterday. I'll post pictures later when I get to a PC.

#4 12 years ago

Used to be the consensus that an outgassing display stressed the hv section of the dmd driver board more. It was recommended that the hv section be rebuilt before installing a new dmd. That has since fallen out of favor so no the really isn't any rush. It is ugly and annoying, but it isn't hurting anything.

You could always check the voltage to the display to confirm if RawleyD is right. I have never run into it, but it makes sense. If the voltage isn't low rebuilding the hv section may up it a tiny bit making the picture better for a bit, but it is on its way out.

#5 12 years ago

Usually there is no hurry to replace an outgassing display. They take a long time to wear out completely, but they are annoying, so replace it when you can't stand it anymore.

#6 12 years ago

Photos...

fr_182_size640.jpgfr_182_size640.jpg display.jpgdisplay.jpg

#7 12 years ago

That looks like a driver going out, not outgassing. Outgassing gives partial dots at darker colors with lots of flickering.

#8 12 years ago

Is this driver on the DMD board or the display itself? What component is it?

#9 12 years ago

I think his pictures show an out gassed display.

Here's my old GnR DMD in a Jurassic Park Lost World:

It was out gassed.

#10 12 years ago

Crash.....does it improve after it warms up?

#11 12 years ago

It seems to change on a day to day basis. The game is routed so it is always on.

#12 12 years ago

Check the voltages. You might get off cheap $5 in parts if it is the HV section. Real common problem with a relatively easy fix.

#13 12 years ago

So check the 100v supply? That's a no brainer. I will when I get a chance. Which pins to I need to check on the PSU?

1 month later
#15 12 years ago

Sorry to bump this thread but I need to have a better idea of what the issue is. Here's a thread that virtually shows the same phenomenon, except burn-in is not as prominent on our display. The discussion is leaning more toward outgassing.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-issue

#16 12 years ago

I had a display that closely resembled your display above and I swapped out the display with known good working one and the issues went away. This was on a Sega machine, I then put the bad display in another machine to make sure that it was not the high voltage section and sure enough the display was showing the same symptoms in the 2nd machine.

#17 12 years ago

My fishtailsDMD is doing the same thing as crashdance 22 pin. Display is missing top half of letters but after 15 warm up display works fine. I will check DMD power driver . Thought display was out gassing but now think it is the driver. I will run a test . Thanks for the info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 159.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.95
$ 180.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 1,059.00
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outgassing-display and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.