Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by HowardR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So my nephews were visiting for the holidays and my outer space EM was working without issue. One of them turned off the game in the start up sequence and now it just cycles the startup and will not reset the scoring reels. Any idea what could be causing this?

#2 6 years ago

I think that game uses the reset bank. Turn the power off and manually pull back on the reset arm of the bank. If you don't know what it is, it's the massive bank of relays as seen here.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/gtbresetbank1.jpg

This should reset everything to a known state, so at least if something is borked we have a place to start.

#3 6 years ago

KoKs,
I was able to reset the bank without issue. When I powered up the machine, the game did not automatically enter into its reset/start-up sequence. However, when pressing the start button, it went right back into the loop and would not reset the scoring reels.

-Brodie

#4 6 years ago

Do you have the schematic? Staples will scan it for $2.

#5 6 years ago

Check which relays energize when you turn the power on. Also, does the score motor turn when you power up? If not, manually advance it a bit with the power off.

2 months later
#6 6 years ago

Since this thread is a few months old without action, I’m going to try to hi-jack it for a similar issue.

I recently purchased a Blue Chip and it has one of these reset banks for the 1-8 numbered targets. All the targets trigger correctly, but the reset only worked once out of about 30 restarts. The entire machine was inoperable when purchased and I’ve been cleaning 40-some years of filth out of it and adjusting as I go.

The reset coil has power, but it appears to not be strong enough to push the reset through the complete cycle. I’ve got a twin of this game that seems to be doing the reset just fine and the coils have the exact same ohm resistance.

What is the next logical step here?
1. Rebuild the coil.
2. Remove the entire target switch assembly, clean all the joints, and apply dry line bike chain lube on the connecting rods/pins?
3. Use hammer.
4. Other. (Please specify)

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballRusch:

Since this thread is a few months old without action, I’m going to try to hi-jack it for a similar issue.
I recently purchased a Blue Chip and it has one of these reset banks for the 1-8 numbered targets. All the targets trigger correctly, but the reset only worked once out of about 30 restarts. The entire machine was inoperable when purchased and I’ve been cleaning 40-some years of filth out of it and adjusting as I go.
The reset coil has power, but it appears to not be strong enough to push the reset through the complete cycle. I’ve got a twin of this game that seems to be doing the reset just fine and the coils have the exact same ohm resistance.
What is the next logical step here?
1. Rebuild the coil.
2. Remove the entire target switch assembly, clean all the joints, and apply dry line bike chain lube on the connecting rods/pins?
3. Use hammer.

a) Start your own thread instead of hi-jacking this one. That way when the thread gets longer people who can help you won't have to search as much for the problem being worked on.
b) In that new thread, link to the specific Blue-Chip game you have. Bally and Williams both have a Blue Chip from that time
c) Use Alligator clip jumper wires to find out if the problem is in the circuit to the reset coil
d) Swap reset coils with your game's twin to find out if the coil is OK.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outer-space-startupreset?hl=kingofkoopas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.