(Topic ID: 272006)

Outdoor movie setup

By Diospinball

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B6A4E7D1-BFF2-4DD1-87A2-CFED09D10C29 (resized).jpeg
    Cropped movie screen (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

So... I haven't been feeling pinball for the last few months. I just really haven't felt like playing.
    I still love pinball, and maybe that is why I haven't played it really at all. I want things to return to normal and enjoy playing it then. I also miss going to Galloping Ghost Pinball. I really hope they will remain in business after Covid.

Anyway... I decided a good way to be able to visit my family and still be safe is to do outdoor movies. Everyone can stay apart and watch the film.

I generally start off with cartoons and then go to the feature.

To date we have watched Ghostbusters, Rocky, and 2/3 of Tim Burton's Batman movie(it was cold and windy and started to rain).
    Next up is 1980s Flash Gordon, Blues Brothers, and The Last Crusade.
    Fun times.
    The screen takes about 15-20 minutes to setup and less than 10 minutes to pack back up. One of the buttons though doesn't really pop in... But, just one. The others work fine. So the screen works fine.

Cropped movie screen (resized).jpgCropped movie screen (resized).jpg
    #4 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I've always wanted to set something like this up for football season. Just camp out on the deck and watch football all day on the big screen. Maybe this year if we have a season.
    What kind of projector is it? 4K is getting cheaper and I'm in an ATSC 3 market. This might be the year.

Its not 4k.
    Its an epson... That's all I can remember off the top of my head. I'll go check it out later.
    Its about 2-4 years old. We did a refresh of the school district that I work for. So all the projectors were replaced. Some were on the newer end. I was able to cherry pick the newest model and I got one in good condition.

At the time of the sale they were going for like 400 dollars on Ebay. Not that its worth that price. We sold these for 50 bucks. The bulbs are worth about 60-90 dollars depending on which site and vendor you go through. But, they should last 3k-5k hours. So barring me dropping it, I shouldn't have to replace teh bulb. I didn't check the bulb life. I should have... But, I bet its within 300-4500 hours.

Once it gets dark the picture is nice and crisp. It can work in daylight. But, direct sunlight its not so good. So if you face it away from the sun it should be fine. However, the seams in the screen show in the daylight. Once it gets to night you can't see the seams.

It works pretty good. I bought a 40-50 dollar rechargeable blu tooth speaker. I use the aux setting from projector to the speaker, but its nice to not need to power the speaker on. The projector does have a speaker, but the fidelity on the blu tooth is better. And I should be able to pair it with another of the same make and model to get double the sound. I haven't decided to do that yet.
    I might...
    Right now no need.
    Its pretty fun.
    Its just a good way to hang out with my family and spend some time together and also stay safe and social distance.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

https://www.viewsonic.com/eu/products/archive/PJ552.php
    https://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PJ552.htm
    That’s my projector. I’ve had it since around 2006 and had to replace the bulb once (~$100). Ive been thinking about getting a new one. For my next one I want a brighter projector. Mine has a max of 1600 lumens and works well enough, but I think my next will be 2000 lumens or higher.
    For outdoor use I don’t know how important 4K is, but it would be a nice feature to have for indoor movies. HDR on a 1080 picture is a lot better then a standard picture but you might want a higher lumens for outdoors. I’ll probably wait for a good deal on a 4K HDR once the price of tech comes down.

Well, as you most likely know, for outdoor use the higher the lumens the better the picture will be in broad daylight. Direct sunlight mine isn't the best. But, it can work during the day. But, works like a charm when the light goes down.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outdoor-movie-setup?tu=Diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.