(Topic ID: 109290)

(POLL) Out of These 6 Classic Themes... and a $10k Price Point

By HunchbackHodler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which theme would you pay $10k for?”

• Big Trouble in Little China 19 votes
      15%
    • Army of Darkness 38 votes
      30%
    • Jaws 31 votes
      25%
    • The Muppets 22 votes
      17%
    • Gremlins 8 votes
      6%
    • The Dark Crystal 8 votes
      6%

(126 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

303775-i.jpg
    Michael-Scott[1].jpg
    The_Dark_Crystal_Film_Poster.jpg
    There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

WOZ is looking waaaaayyy back and it is still quite innovative...

Id like to know the innovation in WOZ? If you say the tv in the backbox its been done RFM and better. The color changing inserts were done by stern first. After that?

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I'd pay $25K for a Frank Zappa or Buckethead pin.

OMG.... I'd preorder a Buckethead pin before seeing the prototype pics. Have JJP make it so the screen in the backglass has the chickens getting decapitated like they show at his concerts

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aeolus7:

No love for Dark Crystal?! Kill the Skeksis!

But then an equal number of Mystics would also die...this game would have to be more about balance.

#54 9 years ago

doesn't take much to stray off topic to bash jjp around here, does it. lol.

#55 9 years ago

Are people seriously having trouble separating the theme from the technology used in the game? There aren't many things that resonate less with me than Wizard Of Oz, but the game is stunning.

Pinball will always involve some looking backward. A pinball machine is an old-timey mechanical thing and nostalgia is an integral part of why most people love it.

#56 9 years ago

I'll take the zero

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Pinball will always involve some looking backward.

Some is one thing. But when every music themed machine is based on bands that were in their prime 30+ years ago, and they continue to license movie themes from a bygone era instead of making any new original themes, then pinball has stagnated into it's own death sentence.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Some is one thing. But when every music themed machine is based on bands that were in their prime 30+ years ago, and they continue to license movie themes from a bygone era instead of making any new original themes, then pinball has stagnated into it's own death sentence.

But then again, even the movies are rehashes of old stuff

Quoted from davewtf:

doesn't take much to stray off topic to bash jjp around here, does it. lol.

No
    My point was that for me to spend top dollar on a game, I want innovation, not a whole lit ofexpensive toys that do not interact with the ball
    I love the bowling alley in TBL, but is it a feature that could have been done cheaperand justas effective as an LCD mounted under the playfield?

#59 9 years ago

The problem with movie themes is that pinball machines used to be in arcades at malls, with movie theatres, so they functioned as a form of advertisement for up and coming movies... Now they are sold to consumers, so manufactures are only willing to produce ones with an established fan base... Manufactures need to start negotiating down licensing fees for new movies, work directly with route operators, and be able to produce machines around the $5k price point

#60 9 years ago

You want a "classic theme" that will sell. Married with Children Pinball............
    I would save my pennies to buy that one!

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

You want a "classic theme" that will sell. Married with Children Pinball............
    I would save my pennies to buy that one!

I'll take a "No Ma'am" LE

#62 9 years ago

Would you pay $10k for any pinball..
    Michael-Scott[1].jpgMichael-Scott[1].jpg

#63 9 years ago

Could I theoretically pay 10k for a pin, yep. Do I want to spend 10k on a pin, nope... not at all.

#65 9 years ago

I am out of the pricing over 6000ish! Sorry, I don't care how cool the game is 10k is just insane! It better include an all expense vacation to Hawaii at that price point!

#66 9 years ago

The only one of these that would make me scramble for a way to come up with the $$$ would be Army of Darkness. I don't say this often at all, but I wouldn't care if the game was a dud, I would still have to have it. At a more realistic price point, I would be interested in Jaws, then Big Trouble in that order. Those would also be hard to pass up.

#67 9 years ago

None, that's too expensive for one machine!!! I'll take 2 pros or 3 good older pins.

#68 9 years ago

I honesty do not think the demographic you are looking for even exists. Not in the numbers needed to sustain a 10k price point. Don't give me "Hobbit & TBL" those are not proven success yet.

You are probably looking at the top demographic right here on Pinside......and the mojority is not saying no.....but Hell No!

My #1 theme would be The Matrix. I can afford 10k. I would not pay 10k for The Matrix or any pin.....period. I'd probably be out on The Matrix at anything past 7k and I'm out on anything past 6k on anything else. Although Alien might have an outside shot.......Oh.....and I'm never Pre-Ordering.

#69 9 years ago

I don't think I fit the target demographic. In fact, I'm sure of it.

#70 9 years ago

JPOP is already charging $16k

EDIT:
    it's actually $17k

#71 9 years ago

Army of Darkness ,,, but I Don't want 2 pay 10K for any Pin .. Pin's R High Enough now !!

#72 9 years ago

It needs to be a theme that can not only stand the test of time but also have a wide appeal. IMO the only theme you listed that fits both of those requirements is Muppets. There's lots of humor possibilities with the theme as well as many simple solenoid pin-a-matronic possibilities with it for mouth movement and hand motions.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

Relax, bro. Just don't vote. Australians are already paying that price.
    And in the U.S., Hobbit SE is $9,500. So we're getting there.

Lets not give them any ideas, the JJP website has it listed at $9K

As for the original post, only Jaws would even tempt me, but a $10K US game would roughly be almost $13500 CDN by the time I had it home, not going to happen!!

#74 9 years ago

Some of those are good titles but I would rather built my own with a company for that amount letting me design and create everything for my one game.

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Although Alien might have an outside shot.......Oh.....and I'm never Pre-Ordering.

Alien is such a great theme! preorder is bullshit!

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

the JJP website has it listed at $9K

whoops, I'll go correct that right now, thanks

#77 9 years ago

EDIT:
    it's actually $17k

Really. I can get a complete Roush 427, dyno tested and certified 520hp for 14.6k. I'll take the motor.

#78 9 years ago

EDIT:
    it's actually $17k

Yeah......for games that don't even exist yet.
    I swear, some of you guys either have way too much cash laying around or you just like gambling with the funds you do have to get into a game from a startup that is 15K+. But more power to you if you have the stomach for it and can afford it I guess. That's crazy talk imo but what do I know.

But back on topic:
    There is not a game on this planet that would get me to spend 10K. Not a single one. I simply don't need toys that are that expensive. My current limit is 6K and even then, I want it totally complete with code and have the ability to play multiple times so that I know I like it. And to be honest there are only like 3-4 games that I'd even spend that much on and I already own two of them.

Now out of the titles you mentioned, I'd love to play your 10K Jaws or AOD.
    Cheers!

#79 9 years ago

Those who decide the successes of the NIB market are just richer than the rest of us.

Or more resourceful. I just funded about 85% of my first NIB purchase by selling a pin I spent 6 months on restoring. I never thought I'd be able to afford a NIB, but I found a way.

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

Or more resourceful. I just funded about 85% of my first NIB purchase by selling a pin I spent 6 months on restoring. I never thought I'd be able to afford a NIB, but I found a way.

The most passionate play an important role, definitely.

#81 9 years ago

The only passion in pinball I'm seeing lately is for nostalgia. I can get all the nostalgia I need with the older machines. At a fraction of the price.

#82 9 years ago

None at any price as those themes don't interest me. Harry Potter is the only theme I would consider at that price point.

#83 9 years ago

NONE 10,000 for a pin is a joke .

#84 9 years ago

I clicked on Army of darkness before realizing none would be my real choice at 10k. So, AOD would be my gun to the head choice.

#85 9 years ago

I doubt I'll ever pay $10k for any NIB pin, regardless of theme.

#86 9 years ago

oh and the pin would be $10k because of whats on the playfield, not just because it has an lcd, plastic decals or scarcity taxing.

#87 9 years ago

Clearly you'd get a better response to this poll without the $10k thing. You say you're looking for a certain demographic...irrelevant. Interest in a theme shouldn't be attached to a nonsensical theoretical price. We're all pinball fans here and some of us pay NIB Stern Pro/Prem/LE prices or JJP prices...or even Dutch prices. None of them are $10k.

#88 9 years ago

But we've done those kinds of polls before. What ever happened to innovation?

#89 9 years ago

What ever happened to innovation?

According to your list of themes, it went out the window when The Jeffersons were still on.

#90 9 years ago

heheh, but today's movies suck.

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Clearly you'd get a better response to this poll without the $10k thing. You say you're looking for a certain demographic...irrelevant. Interest in a theme shouldn't be attached to a nonsensical theoretical price. We're all pinball fans here and some of us pay NIB Stern Pro/Prem/LE prices or JJP prices...or even Dutch prices. None of them are $10k.

You deserve a better response.

It's easy to click on a title and vote. But I had to do what I had to do to create a hesitation in the voting process, just like it would be when you buy in real life. The 10k number has the right psychological effect for creating that hesitation. Anything less would not have created as much a hesitation, and a higher number would have reduced the number of voters to almost nothing.

Damn, I wasn't suppose to reveal that until later. It affects the test.

#92 9 years ago

You deserve a better response.
    It's easy to click on a title and vote. But I had to do what I had to do to create a hesitation in the voting process, just like it would be when you buy in real life. The 10k number has the right psychological effect for creating that hesitation. Anything less would not have created as much a hesitation, and a higher number would have reduced the number of voters to almost nothing.
    Damn, I wasn't suppose to reveal that until later. It affects the test.

It's your thread, so...do what you want. You really should have a "None" option. I like any number of those themes, but not at that price.

Some people might just be voting for the theme they like just for fun. They prob still wouldn't buy it at 10k

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It's your thread, so...do what you want. You really should have a "None" option. I like any number of those themes, but not at that price.
    Some people might just be voting for the theme they like just for fun. They prob still wouldn't buy it at 10k

If I added "none" as an option, 99% of voters would have voted for it, and then what's left of my poll? I just want a bit of hesitation, that's all, just a bit. I'm quite aware that some might cheat.

#94 9 years ago

No hesitation on my part, saw the titles and went right to post. 10k no way.

#95 9 years ago

Which is a very reasonable thing to do.

#96 9 years ago

If I added "none" as an option, 99% of voters would have voted for it, and then what's left of my poll? I just want a bit of hesitation, that's all, just a bit. I'm quite aware that some might cheat.

Yeah.....you're still not getting it. Almost no one will pay 10k for a pinball machine regardless of the theme. Does not matter what you do with the playfield and "toys", art, display......etc.....

This is a game. The number of people willing to shell out 10k for ANY pin is very, very small. You're literally talking a few hundred people.......in the world.

You would have seen a much better response (and what you wanted) if you had said 6-7k.

#97 9 years ago

Muppets and Army of Darkness are almost a dead tie for me.

I would love to add either if the theme is well done.

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Yeah.....you're still not getting it. Almost no one will pay 10k for a pinball machine regardless of the theme. Does not matter what you do with the playfield and "toys", art, display......etc.....
    This is a game. The number of people willing to shell out 10k for ANY pin is very, very small. You're literally talking a few hundred people.......in the world.
    You would have seen a much better response (and what you wanted) if you had said 6-7k.

No, you're still not getting it, some people are cheating, duh. The number of voters are above 100, and the thread is at page 2. But as long as some are boycotting the vote (and there are) then I'm satisfied. I want some hesitation just like it would be with buyers in the real NIB market.

#99 9 years ago

EDIT:
    it's actually $17k

Jpop is at best a questionable gamble. Best case scenario you wind up with a $20k game after years worth of layaway, worst case you wind up with nothing. Considering there are so few other $20k games in the world, what's to say this will be one? JPop is also losing money making this game... it's an unsustainable business model, so lets not pretend that is a valid market price.

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Jpop is at best a questionable gamble. Best case scenario you wind up with a $20k game after years worth of layaway, worst case you wind up with nothing. Considering there are so few other $20k games in the world, what's to say this will be one? JPop is also losing money making this game... it's an unsustainable business model, so lets not pretend that is a valid market price.

I never said it was a valid market price,
    but that there are a few who are willing to pay $17k, and such an option has a right to exist in this free-market, and if said option fails and bankrupts a company, then so be it.

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/out-of-these-6-classic-themes/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.