(Topic ID: 193157)

Out of state sale?

By rai

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Need advice, I'm partial to cash sales. Cash and carry is my preferred method.

However I've a prospective buyer out of state he said he'd handle pick up.

I'm asking how do I accept payment that will guarantee me not to be subject to charge back or reverse funding.

#2 6 years ago

Gold

#3 6 years ago

cash really is the only guarantee. if he is picking up there should be no reason he cant bring cash if you are uncomfortable with paypal.

#4 6 years ago

Check from Buyer deposited and cleared before shipping the machine that you are selling.

#5 6 years ago

Bank Wire transfer. I've done this with two or three out of state pinsiders. Always worked fine. Get the money in your account before their movers (typically NAVL) come to pick up the game.

#6 6 years ago

Wire payment into your account or check. If check, you have a tracking method and should wait at least 7 days after deposit.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from stretch2:

Check from Buyer deposited and cleared before shipping the machine that you are selling.

as someone who worked in the banking industry for 8+ years, this is no guarantee. Ive seen checks come back after months of being deposited.

#8 6 years ago

Having made purchases(using paypal) from other pinsiders and even asking a pinsider to get me a machine in his area and bring it up to Pintastic,I will ask this. Is buyer a pinsider with good name(references)? Talk on the phone(gut feeling), gotta have some trust. I am not into screwing people but I'm not perfect either. If I was uncomfortable as a seller I would only want a small(100.00) paypal deposit to hold and cash in hand for the rest. Ultimately I feel we should help others but not get burned either, it's a slippery slope to navigate.
    -Mike

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

cash really is the only guarantee. if he is picking up there should be no reason he cant bring cash if you are uncomfortable with paypal.

He's not picking up he's hired a shipping company

#10 6 years ago

Is PayPal no good?

#11 6 years ago

He's not known to me, less than one year member.

He's saying PayPal friends but I am unsure

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

He's not known to me, less than one year member.
    He's saying PayPal friends but I am unsure

if he uses a credit card he can still do a paypal charge back even with friends and family.

#13 6 years ago

No way should you do PayPal in this case

#14 6 years ago

I'd only use paypal gift for a very small deposit to hold it. Don't accept anything less than a bank wire or bank check, and don't release until it clears.

#15 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

If your buyer is willing to screw Paypal out of their fees they are likely willing to screw others. Red flag.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I'm asking how do I accept payment that will guarantee me not to be subject to charge back or reverse funding.

Cash!!! Unless it's fake that is the only 100% way to make sure you get a payment without a charge back option. Any real buyer would understand this and not have a problem with it. Good luck with the sale!!!

#17 6 years ago

If this is gonna be a large money deal , don't chance anything. You will be heart broken and angry if you get screwed, its just not worth it.
    -Mike

#18 6 years ago

CASH ONLY. Pickup in person. I would never accept Paypal for more than 100 deposit.

Given your location, you should have no problem finding someone local that will buy your machine.

#19 6 years ago

Hello?
    Mr. Obvious?
    Long time listener, 1st time caller.

#20 6 years ago

Bit-coin or Gold pressed Latinum

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Really depends on your loss tolerance. I sell a lot of stuff on eBay. I get pissed if I get screwed at all, no matter what the amount, but my tolerance is about $200. Anything more than that, pretty good chance the guy is going to see me in person. Less than that, I'm going to be grumpy for a few days.

I've been lucky. in 16+ years selling on eBay, I've only been screwed one time in 42,000+ transactions.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Bit-coin or Gold pressed Latinum

I only accept etched sapphires backed by Earth Central....

#24 6 years ago

Faberge eggs are a safe haven. Check the yolk to ensure it's still liquid.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/out-of-state-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.