Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I'm a big fan of his but i feel like i'm alone on this. I can't help but feel it has alot to do with the era which he worked in being underappreciated by pinball fans. There are alot of games of his that i wouldn't mind owning, at least not for a while. BSD, DH, WD?, JB(?) JY, DW, Cyclone, Comet, Fire, Pinbot, Space Shuttle, Gorgar... Not too shabby.

Maybe i just like cheesy games.

I realize he's no Pat Lawlor or Steve Ritchie but c'mon.

#2 12 years ago

every game you listed is considered a classic pin by many pinheads including myself. out of that list the only pins i have not played are bsd and fire. i agree he is an underrated talent. and as for sales,well many of the pins he designed sold well over 10,000 units.

#3 12 years ago

This dud of a thread was proof enough!

#4 12 years ago

I like his games a lot. I really like Cosmic Gunfight and Defender, which were made in pinballs wilderness years. I'm sure he isn't underated in the pinball industry. I think it is a shame that he didn't see JY through to the end of the design process. It is one of my least favourites despite a great layout.

#5 12 years ago

I like his games too, in fact two of my top ten highest rated are his - Fire and Jokerz. Fire is hugely unappreciated, play one in really good condition and it's just brilliant, possibly the fastest orbit shot in a game I've owned.

#6 12 years ago

Every game of his that I have ever played, I really love. The titles I have played are limited but only because most of his are quite old and if I didn't play them long ago, they aren't common in the wild.

Sorry, I was busy hunting again and missed this post.

And the the 4 legged creatures I hunt are all machines...

#7 12 years ago

I loved comet and cyclone but have not been able to play either now for about 2 yrs. sadly. A friend of mine had them but, due to his loss of a job he was forced to sell to meet the bills. I can't imagine why Ousler was so underappreciated except that they didn't seem to put the game designers on front street so much back in the day......

#8 12 years ago

You forgot Popeye .. DH is the best imo.

Jim

#9 12 years ago

I didn't realise it, but Oursler is probably my favourite designer, having Gorgar, BSD and Fire! ... not sure if I've more than 3 pins by any other designer... and if he carried on with the Pinbot trilogy, that makes 4 cos I've got BOP too...

#10 12 years ago

Trudeau and Anghelo

But still a great pin!

#11 12 years ago

I agree that Oursler is probably underappreciated by the average pinhead. The guy has some fantastic games under his belt. I personally think DW is his best, but Pin*Bot will always have a special place in my heart as the game that made me fall in love with pinball.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

two of my top ten highest rated are his - Fire and Jokerz.

I thought i was the only one who liked Jokerz! Back in my glory days, this machine sat next to a pinbot, whirlwind & funhouse and it just ate everybody's quarters! Although all of those machines are more highly rated, this machine always seemed to be the one that got played the most in the wild. I also mentioned this game to a local pinball retailer/route operator and her eyes lit up as she commented on how well this game earned for her way back when.

I've reluctantly listed my Jokerz! for sale but i don't know if i really want to part with it. It's a very fun game to play when you just want to have a casual game of pinball.

#13 12 years ago

Well I do agree with you that he doesn't seem to get the respect the other guys get. I have owned 2 of his games - really enjoyed both (BSD & Pinbot)

#14 12 years ago

Maybe it has alot to do with the fact that he's not active in the pinball industry anymore. At least i don't think he is??

#15 12 years ago

Didn't realize Defender is an Oursler game, so I guess I have two of them. DW is awesome. I'd like to play a DH some time or even own one because I am a big Clint fan.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Didn't realize Defender is an Oursler game, so I guess I have two of them. DW is awesome. I'd like to play a DH some time or even own one because I am a big Clint fan.

and keep your eyes peeled for a BSD! If you don't like it, i'll buy it from you at the drop of a hat provided you don't overpay too badly for it!

#17 12 years ago

I really like cyclone, BSD, and DH. But don't always enjoy the center drains present on most of his titles.

#18 12 years ago

Definitely under appreciated. I like DW the best of all his designs but DH and BSD are pretty sweet as well.

1 year later
    #19 11 years ago

I had a chance to meet Barry and also if you listen to This Old Pinball podcast with Barry, he explains a little about why he doesn't get respect maybe as much as Richie or Lawler.. He explained that especially during the busier times, he could design and crank out a pinball MUCH faster than those guys could... He said in some cases Steve Richie would be working on a game for up to a year, while he could get a game out and done in less than 6 months. Remember, it's a business and the production lines had to keep going. I'm not pitting the two against each other, but that was the reality. Barry also explained that especially in the mid 80's up through close to his final game, he often tried to make games and themes that were a little easier/more family friendly in general, because many of the other guys were working on more of "Macho" themes... ie High Speed, F-14, Black Knight 2K etc... Oursler was doing Cyclone, Police Force, Bad Cats, Space Shuttle/Station Fire etc... He said this was also intentional... as was not having multi-ball in some of his games. Keeping it more simple.

So just something to think about....

Barry designed some of the best pins ever, for a LONG time. Oursler prob had the most games by far at williams that made it to production, not sure on overall production numbers. Let's not forget Barry also desinged Joust - One of the coolest pins ever!

#20 11 years ago

I have ALOT of his games. My collection at 1 point consisted of mostly Oursler and Ritchie (still does for the most part, but I have branched out a bit!) games. He has some awesome titles!! Cosmic Gunfight, Solar Fire, Star Light...Bad Cats, Space Shuttle. I was lucky enough to meet him at Expo a couple years ago, and he is a very nice, quiet guy. I had him sign several of his pins that I had with me that year...

Phoebe

#21 11 years ago

Whodunnit is one of my favs, I think his games are awesome!

#22 11 years ago

I don't know about him making easy games - ....Pinbot, BSD, Jokerz - all hard games that kick my ass all the time.

#23 11 years ago

I love his games. Easy to understand, hard to master. He currently holds 3 spots in my 7 game collection.

#25 11 years ago

Holy thread resurrect!

Dang Dave, I hope you have found an Oursler pin or two since your post to see if you still feel the same way about him...

#26 11 years ago

oursler probably has the patent on killer outlanes.

#27 11 years ago

Has anybody talked to him lately? I tried to contact him maybe a year ago and never got a response. Is he active anywhere? What's he doing these days?

#28 11 years ago

Fire!

#29 11 years ago

I think he did Time Warp too which sold a shit ton of games. Also pretty fun once you get the damn banana flippers off the game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oursler-underappreciated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.