(Topic ID: 103629)

UPDATED ..NAVL quoted me $525 to ship pin...any other company to use?

By cosmokramer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0176.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago

I recently had a machine shipped from Florida to Pennsylvania through Michelle. I think the final number was $366 and change. It went fine for the most part. Had a busted shooter rod on arrival and a missing leg leveler but I didn't worry about it. I shipped two machines out at the same time and as far as I know they made it to their destination without any issues at all.

I have only been in the hobby for a few years but I have heard stories of people paying $200 or $250 to ship machines across the country. Man, I wish those days were back!

We complain about STI's pricing but I personally am afraid to use anyone else because I've heard horror stories of people using LTL carriers. Although, there are obviously horror stories through STI too. No good way to go it seems like.

All the shipping I've ever done was done with the legs on. I don't know if having the machine palleted or crated makes a difference or not.

Derek

#52 9 years ago

Neither do I, but I know someone that works at a business that is nation wide and has another branch near the pin I wanted. I arranged to have the game packed, on a pallet and delivered to that branch so it could be delivered to the branch near me for pick up. It worked quite well. PM me if you need more info.

Steve

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Unfortunately me nor the seller live at a business...

#53 9 years ago

I stopped buying games that I could not pick up in person for this very reason. Michelle once told me prices were up because gas prices were up. But when the prices went back down the shipping still went up. So, I think that wasn't the reason at all. I tried the bid shipping thing and found they were asking NAVL about the same trip, and just cutting it a few bucks, then calling me back.

Other reasons were damage. I got several badly damaged games over the years and it was a fight to get anything. I tried to get the drivers to stand next to the games for pictures and they refused saying it would get them fired. So I had pictures taken by someone else as they dropped the games from the truck. That just pissed them off.

I have had some good deliveries from them. But adding $400 to $600 to a game is not good economics.

#54 9 years ago

I've been lucky I guess, Navl STI is 15/15 for me .
Good communication and all games have been received with no damage or late deliveries.

#55 9 years ago

Anybody's wife jealous Michelle? We sure do talk a lot about her.

#56 9 years ago

pilot air = $350 for two pins from one coast to the other

#57 9 years ago

u ship

#58 9 years ago

I have used Pilot freight on several occasion. Always about $200 less than NAVL and I never had an issue. No door to door service. Terminal to terminal only. There is one 20 minutes from Riverside in Ontario, CA 91761. http://www.pilotdelivers.com/

#59 9 years ago

wow... that's a good price.
do they wrap the pin, or do you have to crate/wrap it yourself?

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

And what play the game once and go home?

LMAO

#61 9 years ago

I've had machines shipped to car & truck dealer parts departments that I do business with (buy vehicles from them etc.) They unload with their fork lift as they don't have a loading dock. It pays to be nice to people. Believe it or not, sometimes I am

#62 9 years ago

I'm not sure about starting a shipping company just for pins. However, I do know that if someone needs a job that it might not be a bad idea to rent a Uhaul, figure out the expenses, and travel from coast to coast shipping pinballs. Probably wouldn't be a bad gig if you like to travel.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I'm not sure about starting a shipping company just for pins. However, I do know that if someone needs a job that it might not be a bad idea to rent a Uhaul, figure out the expenses, and travel from coast to coast shipping pinballs. Probably wouldn't be a bad gig if you like to travel.

http://www.pinballsonthemove.com

#64 9 years ago

try > Precision Transportation

#65 9 years ago

i'd start a shipping company if i could get enough regular customers. i'd need enough volume to make it do-able.
any volume customers out there that i can add 1-off jobs too?
that would make it work out for everyone.
it would be the absolute most white-glove service anyone has ever seen.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

try > Precision Transportation

Michelle Bianchi is a booking agent with Precision Transportation who uses STI to ship the pinball machines. That's who the op got a quote from.

#67 9 years ago

I was just going to post the same thing. This thread proves there is opportunity for someone who can transport at a good price and be guaranteed to take care of your game start to finish. Don covers the east coast but ultimately covers quite a bit of the country as schedule permits... I'd call him first before any other shipping company.

#68 9 years ago

Brian Saunders (Pinballs of the Past, Lerna, IL) also hauls a lot of games mostly to the east cost and Texas for shows. He used to make other trips out east and to other parts of the country but not sure what he is doing now because of work.

#69 9 years ago

Poster Ned Ledod used to do it as well. Under the name Ledod's Special Delivery.... He was the best.

#70 9 years ago

Just set up a shipment via NAVL

Shipping a Tron LE from Illinois to New York
(both locations in the suburbs, non-commercial, ground level at both ends, liftgate service required)

$457 includes $15k of Insurance. (I realize it's over-insured but ignore that for the time being)

Spoke to Michelle, NAVL is 110% still in the pinball shipping business (saw a lot of threads popping up in which someone posted they aren't doing it anymore)

I sold 9 pins last December all of which were shipped out via NAVL. I looked at the BOL and removing insurance, this price is about $45 higher than two that were shipped to IL. I also looked at a BOL for a pin I purchased from someone in IL 3 years ago, and once again removing insurance this shipment is $60 higher.

I leave it to you to decide whether pricing changes are fair or warranted. Just wanted to provide some data points for anyone interested. I personally don't think the increase is so terrible, but I will certainly say that I agree that shipping costs are making buying a pinball long distance more and more prohibitive.

I purchased the LE for $9900, which I consider an amazing price (given the current market, let's not turn this into whether Tron LEs are worth it) So now after shipping my total cost basis is $10,350 (rounding). Two additional machines recently popped up locally to me, both of which would still cost me more after factoring in shipping, but only by a few hundred. Does the few few hundred outweigh the risk I take of damage occurring during shipping? I leave that up to you.

(I know I'm insured, but ever try to go back and forth with a shipping company to agree upon how much an LE or 20 year old WMS/Bally is devalued because of a big scratch alongside a screened cabinet/cabinet where replacement decals are not available? Luckily I haven't yet, but I'm assuming it's no fun). As a note I've shipped over 40 machines (as a buyer and seller) via NAVL and knock on wood, never even a scratch. Oh God of Shipping, I beg you...please don't let a Tron LE be the machine to change that record.

Oh and based on a thread I read on pinside months ago, I know to never let the NAVL team use my toliet.

#71 9 years ago

Michelle and the STI team just shipped my Tron LE to the buyer. Game went out in perfect condition and arrived at the buyer's house looking like this (I'm so sad):

Game was fully wrapped and blanket wrapped.

IMG_0172.JPGIMG_0172.JPG IMG_0176.JPGIMG_0176.JPG
#72 9 years ago

Man, looks like it got hit with a forklift blade. What a shame!

#73 9 years ago

Agreed. I was shocked. That Tron LE was a beauty. At least a cab can be purchased as a replacement.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from Brentslane:

Agreed. I was shocked. That TRON LE was a beauty. At least a cab can be purchased as a replacement.

Just what I needed to hear

Would love to hear what you go through with the claims process. Don't forget to not only include the cost of the cab in the claim, but also the cost of labor.

Good luck and sorry to hear that.

Edit: What the buyer goes through with the claims process

#75 9 years ago

I did a claim with them on a SM I purchased a while back. A big pain and it took forever. I had to call them over and over. Finally had to provide 3 quotes for a new cab with labor to them. Still had to settle for about 1/2 of what I wanted to finally end the back and forth.

No fun at all.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Brentslane:

Michelle and the STI team just shipped my TRON LE to the buyer. Game went out in perfect condition and arrived at the buyer's house looking like this (I'm so sad):

IMG_0172.JPG 300 KB

IMG_0176.JPG 228 KB

ouch... sorry to hear about that.
what LE # did you sell?

cheers

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Brentslane:

Michelle and the STI team just shipped my TRON LE to the buyer. Game went out in perfect condition and arrived at the buyer's house looking like this (I'm so sad):

IMG_0172.JPG 300 KB

IMG_0176.JPG 228 KB

Unfreakingbelievable!!

1 week later
#78 9 years ago

UPDATE: 10-7-14

My new pin was picked up in Massachusetts on Fri. 9-26-14 and was in So Cal the following Fri.
Due to circumstances on my end it could not be delivered until today. Arrived in a timely manner, driver was right on time for pick up and delivery, and was in the same condition when it arrived as when it left the east coast.

Thanks to waltgman for describing condition of the machine accurately and selling for a price that was fair to both of us. I highly recommend him as a seller.

1 week later
#79 9 years ago

There was a post about a Pinsider who works for U ship and willing to help pinsiders. I can't find the post. Anybody know who the guy is?

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from Brentslane:

Agreed. I was shocked. That TRON LE was a beauty. At least a cab can be purchased as a replacement.

I'm not sure you can purchase a replacement cab, the last screened LE cab I know of was just purchased by another Pinsider after NAVL stuck a fork thru his Tron LE cab. (C link below)
Maybe NAVL has it in for Tron LE? Either way I have completely lost confidence in NAVL/STI at this point... Their white glove service means the ham fisted forklift driver will be wearing white gloves when he violates your machine with one of his forks.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cross-country-sti-alternatives-for-shipping

#81 9 years ago

NAVL is now $500+ insured to ship from Coast to Coast.Even within a few states are now $400+.
It's a deal breaker for sure.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

There was a post about a Pinsider who works for U ship and willing to help pinsiders. I can't find the post. Anybody know who the guy is?

That's me. PM sent.

#83 9 years ago

Are they anything like the people on the show?? If they are can you expect the machine to get there in one piece? I def will take you up if needed just not sure gonna beat a truck company constantly doing the same routes unless they can fill up more than just a machine! Would love to see this work.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Are they anything like the people on the show?? If they are can you expect the machine to get there in one piece? I def will take you up if needed just not sure gonna beat a truck company constantly doing the same routes unless they can fill up more than just a machine! Would love to see this work.

No, nothing like the "reality" show. I'm assuming when you say "a truck company constantly doing the same routes" you mean big National and Regional carriers (R&L, Old-Dominion, etc..) . Which you can book through uShip. Just shoot me a PM if interested.

#85 9 years ago

I'm keeping your name on file and will do so if and when need to transport. Much appreciated

#86 9 years ago

I've had UShip transport roughly 12-15 items for me (some pins, some other items) and have NEVER had any issues. They're economical, reliable and trustworthy. NAVL is indeed a deal-breaker for most of us now-but just remember-they're not the only game in town.

#87 9 years ago

wow...
u-ship has always been higher cost quotes when i've reached out to them.
maybe things have changed ?

and they're an Austin company. walk past their office all the time, but it's the indies that submit the quotes. no specials for an austin pick-up or deliver

#88 9 years ago

Uship charges 500-650 to ship a pin in the state of Ca. That's crazy! Michelle is still the lowest price but climbing. Her co. Sucks now, due to the fact they sub out all their shipping to crapy companies. I won't use them anymore because I was the one that set their schedules after three weeks of not hearing back from them.

#89 9 years ago

Have had uship come here twice (both times I was the seller) - First time the guy brought a 28' cargo trailer to pick up 3 pins and did a nice job wrapping with blankets and strapping to side walls. Then, the 2nd guy came to get one pin with a pick-up that had a motorcycle in it and he placed the pin next to it. Never have paid to ship to me using them though.

From what I understand, get several quotes and have patience - wait a month or two for the best quotes.

#90 9 years ago

I don't think I'd buy or sell where shipping is involved third party. I'd consider taking two days off work and a motel room for $500, buying or selling. Road trips are fun.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I'd consider taking two days off work and a motel room for $500, buying or selling. Road trips are fun.

As long as you have perfect weather both ways.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I'd consider taking two days off work and a motel room for $500, buying or selling. Road trips are fun.

Once bought a pin from TeeKee in OH. I'm in NY. Didn't have time for an extended trip. Grabbed a buddy, left my house 3am, arrived in OH by 11am, had lunch at McDs, spent two hours at his place (really great guy btw) and was home by 10pm. I absolutely LOVE road trips, especially when it's to pick up a pin.

#93 9 years ago

Just got my STI delivery. Took 8 days from East Coast. Really quick.
Got 1 twisted leg on a 1980 tricky to find Stern leg.

Body came just fine without any fork-lift injuries.
Good process, other than the leg... sigh...
-mof

#94 9 years ago

$430 from Los Angeles to Central Washington State.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbali:

Uship charges 500-650 to ship a pin in the state of Ca. That's crazy! Michelle is still the lowest price but climbing. Her co. Sucks now, due to the fact they sub out all their shipping to crapy companies. I won't use them anymore because I was the one that set their schedules after three weeks of not hearing back from them.

You may have gotten a bid for that amount on uShip, but uShip does not charge a set amount for a shipment. The prices are from the carrier not from uShip. uShip is not a third party, and we don't have trucks, we just connect you with the carrier. That is why i say it is best to get with me first and let me help you.

#96 9 years ago

I have two pins in transit with Precision/STI (Michelle) arriving on Friday. $468 from LA, CA area to Rockford, IL. About a week in transit. Legs on. No stairs involved.

I have found 2 pins to be almost the same cost as 1 pin so I usually try to bundle deals.

#97 9 years ago

How should I properly file a claim against a hard-to-find item like an original 1980 Stern leg? More often than not, they are sold in sets of 4.
-mof

#98 9 years ago

I've learned that if I'm looking to have a machine shipped then you have to figure that into the cost of what your spending. I like many try not to ship pins anymore because of what it costs these days.

But if you add in the average cost of $400.00-500.00 for shipping across the country you might be better served to look at something closer to home.

chris

1 month later
#99 9 years ago
Quoted from mab487:

You may have gotten a bid for that amount on uShip, but uShip does not charge a set amount for a shipment. The prices are from the carrier not from uShip. uShip is not a third party, and we don't have trucks, we just connect you with the carrier. That is why i say it is best to get with me first and let me help you.

I understand the logistics, but keep in mind, there is a point when dealing with these companies that one just throws in the towel. There isn't enough good companies out there to put the shitty ones in their place. Kind of like cab companies vs. Lift.
See what I'm saying mang.

#100 9 years ago

Trick I like in shipping pins is, the second one is really cheap so I buy in pairs.
$250 each is doable imo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.95
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ouchnavl-quoted-me-525-to-ship-pinany-other-company-to-use/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.