(Topic ID: 103629)

UPDATED ..NAVL quoted me $525 to ship pin...any other company to use?

By cosmokramer

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pinballwizard79
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0176.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Got $525 shipping quote from NAVL to ship sopranos from MA to CA...Anybody use another shipper who may be more reasonable?

#2 4 years ago

Wow…
You can always take a chance on an LTL common carrier. Just make damn sure the game is wrapped and strapped to a pallet. Or better yet in a crate. Best of luck.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Got $525 shipping quote from NAVL to ship sopranos from MA to CA...Anybody use another shipper who may be more reasonable?

Holy crap. STI prices just keep going up!

It's making the idea of buying a pin and having it shipped less and less appealing.

#4 4 years ago

Wow. Anyone want to start a shipping company for pins? Looks like you have a market ready to be completely stolen away...

#5 4 years ago

Just remember it also depends on the addresses. If it's not a normal route for pickup or dropoff it may be more pricey.

But, that said, yeah, their prices are going up. I had a pin shipped from CA to NJ two years back and it cost, I think, $325. I just asked for a quote from Pittsburgh to NJ, and it was $380.

#6 4 years ago

Is your quote from Michelle @ STI or someone on the NAVL 800 #?

Any stairs at either end? (Those add $100 for each staircase.)

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I just got a $480 quote for PA to CA from Michelle. Prices are up. Frankly unless you have some kind of personal connection with someone or are willing to crate up your game really well I'd just pay it, because you get what you pay for ...

#8 4 years ago

FREIGHTWIRE.......talk to matthew!

#9 4 years ago

Quote was from Michelle, no stairs on either pick up or delivery. I guess its just prices climbing...going to use their services anyway because they are the best at it and dont want to take a chance with someone else not doing the job correctly. Seller was kind enough to split the extra charge with me so Sopranos will be on its way soon!

#10 4 years ago

Cant you fly from CA to MA for about the same money.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from aldo:

And what play the game once and go home?

#12 4 years ago

Has to be palletized - but you usually wont find a better price...

Matthew Torgerson
International Fulfillment
Direct: 877-331-5123 (ext:112)

--
Matthew Torgersen
Office: (877) 331-5123 (x112)
Fax: (801) 936-0962
Email: matthew@freightwire.com

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Maybe aldo's suggesting trying to fly the pin back as checked baggage. Only a $75 fee for breaking the 50lb mark, right?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

That isnt the point.

#15 4 years ago

I had a quote of close to 900 from upstate NY to Western Warshington.I do however live in the sticks.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

That isnt the point.

Ok then wow isn't that almost like buying two 8 balls.

#18 4 years ago

That's not the point. Just saying in the last three years gas prices have gone up and down and sideways. They have been in this range for a long while. So why do shipping prices keep going up?????

Quoted from Hwawonyu:And what play the game once and go home?

That's not the point. Just saying in the last three years gas prices have gone up and down and sideways. They have been in this range for a long while. So why do shipping prices keep going up?????

#19 4 years ago

I have used NAVL or STI or whatever they are calling themselves now many times in the past Not sure I will use them again as their freight prices are always between 450-500 and the last delivery took a month. Not impressed.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from aldo:

I would but I cant fit the pin in the overhead bin......

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I would but I cant fit the pin in the overhead bin......

There's a visual!

#22 4 years ago

about one year ago navl $437 SC to PA but it came in the condition it left

#23 4 years ago

But they don't do door-to-door do they? I had a game shipped via Pilot once and I had to pick it up at their terminal. Unless they offer some new service...

That's one of the benefits of STI/NAVL. They'll pick it up at your house, where it sits (if necessary) and deliver it to the buyers house. You don't even have to wrap it (I personally wrap games I ship). You're paying extra for all that.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

But they don't do door-to-door do they? I had a game shipped via Pilot once and I had to pick it up at their terminal. Unless they offer some new service...

Yeah, I went to the terminal yesterday. I have heard they might deliver to your door, but a drive to Hawthorne was worth it to only pay $200 to ship a machine.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Frankly unless you have some kind of personal connection with someone or are willing to crate up your game really well I'd just pay it, because you get what you pay for ...

So what extra are you paying for in 2014 that you weren't paying for in 2012 when prices were more like $325? Because unless you are getting NAVL to crate the game for you, they are taking everyone for a ride, and they know there's nothing anyone can do about it.

#26 4 years ago

The manager at My local Fastenal store said they do freight from store to store. I think he said under $300. You should check with them. Also I'm thinking about getting on some trucking forums and making some friends.... I've watched convoy and smoky and the bandit enough times I think I could fit in.

#27 4 years ago

This is the last game I will have shipped.... it just seems like its way too much.... the only reason I am doing it this time is I have not been able to find this title on the west coast for less than what I'm paying for the pin and shipping.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

This is the last game I will have shipped.... it just seems like its way too much.... the only reason I am doing it this time is I have not been able to find this title on the west coast for less than what I'm paying for the pin and shipping.

Shipping sucks. I gave it up for a while too, but eh, I wanted the title, and I could either wait for it to show up locally, which could be next week or 3 years from now, or I could just ship the one I wanted.

It's an EM, the shipping it a huge % of the cost. But so it goes sometimes.

#29 4 years ago

I have used U-Ship several times and got excellent rates! You can negotiate with the driver once you get a bite on your bid. I had a $350 price given to me but once I started talking with the driver, he accepted $275 if I would just drive 40 miles up the road and meet him at a major intersection. I once had a U-Shipper transport a pin from Minnesota to Kentucky in a very large station wagon! Pin was delivered in perfect condition and he gave me a discount for not rushing him. I was an add-on that helped him with another arrangement in this area. He gave me a great price because he had to come this way anyhow.

Quoted from Hwawonyu:

That was funny as hell!

#30 4 years ago

CA to PA May 2013 $452.54 through Michelle Bianchi at STI/NAVL

#31 4 years ago

CH Robinson 952 683 4911

#32 4 years ago

If you use someone else I would tell Michelle what you are doing and why. It isn't her fault and I would be VERY polite about it but NAVL is getting out of hand. Fuel prices are not up but their shipping prices are way up.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Got $525 shipping quote from NAVL to ship sopranos from MA to CA

You're lucky! They flat out turned me down for CA to AZ

#34 4 years ago

I have always contacted a local freight broker. They make their living off negotiating shipping prices and take a little off the top. They will get you a MUCH better rate, it's simple business facts. Their 10,000 shipments they send to the freight companies per year will carry just a little more weight than your 4 or 5 per year. If you are willing to take the hour to pallet it and wrap the hell out of it, or crate it, it is way worth it in the end, never had a problem.

Edit: I just read what I wrote, holy run on sentence !!

Post edited by pinball_erie: Illiteracy

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I have used U-Ship several times and got excellent rates! You can negotiate with the driver once you get a bite on your bid. I had a $350 price given to me but once I started talking with the driver, he accepted $275 if I would just drive 40 miles up the road and meet him at a major intersection. I once had a U-Shipper transport a pin from Minnesota to Kentucky in a very large station wagon! Pin was delivered in perfect condition and he gave me a discount for not rushing him. I was an add-on that helped him with another arrangement in this area. He gave me a great price because he had to come this way anyhow.

I have mentioned it before in other threads, but I work at uShip and help people ship. If you want to try out uShip let me know. I can set it all up for you and make sure you get the most bids possible (best price), and more importantly help you select the right carrier that will do a good job.

#36 4 years ago

Michelle talked to Stern and JJP about pricing, and then jacked up the $$$!

Why not, we pinheads usually perform the BOHICA move…...

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Holy crap. STI prices just keep going up!
It's making the idea of buying a pin and having it shipped less and less appealing.

Thats because of people like me having to make claims against them for busting up games. Never again will I use them. Yes they made "good" on it but still.....what a hassle. I dont know which was worse...getting them to pick up the game , busting up the game AFTER they strapped it to a pallet and then delivered it not on a pallet, trying to get the game delivered here but instead they delivered it to my work place....ugh, or trying to atleast got some money out of them and in the end a $300 refund and a busted game. Thank God the seller had the forsight to ship the backglass seperate from the game through UPS, which that alone cost $280....yes you read it right...$280. Atleast it wasn't busted up (and a replacement NOS one like this one would never had been found) by being in the game as it would have happened for sure.
STI/NAVL...= NEVER AGAIN !!

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#38 4 years ago

holy cow !!! that's the worst price i've ever seen from them.
maybe they think people in Cali are richer and they can just charge them more.
maybe they are trying to make up lost money on you to pay for some past damages with others?
i dunno.
my last price from them was around $370ish +/-

#39 4 years ago

The last two times I've used Michelle, they were both horrible experiences. The pins I had shipped were never picked up until I called them two weeks later to say wtf! In the end, both pins took 1 1/2 months to reach me. On top of that, they don't give a chit! Never again!

#40 4 years ago

my last experience wasn't great on the delivery side. they screwed up, leaving me home all day on a week day waiting for them. Had to reschedule which added an additional 2 weeks for them to show up.
their call center staff were horrible during that experience as well.
hadn't ever had that happen before. think they are being acquired by larger companies lately, and yes, don't appear to give a bleep on the call-center side and on the delivery side.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

my last experience wasn't great on the delivery side. they screwed up, leaving me home all day on a week day waiting for them. Had to reschedule which added an additional 2 weeks for them to show up.
their call center staff were horrible during that experience as well.
hadn't ever had that happen before. think they are being acquired by larger companies lately, and yes, don't appear to give a bleep on the call-center side and on the delivery side.

I'll second that. My two index fingers were just getting tired. Ha

#42 4 years ago

The first JJP original theme should be called... Michelle Bianchi! Pinball Delivery.
Game could start up like FT. Gone deliver'n, leave a message.

#43 4 years ago

Shipped two pins with navl/STI. Very happy with results each time. I think it has everything to do with your local outfit. Mine is always the same crew and they know what they're doing. Not just for me, but lots of guys in the area.

Does anyone know how machines actually get across the country? Do they hit multiple hubs with a lot of different handlers? Or do they leave you'd handier and go straight to the destination handlers?

How many hops?

#44 4 years ago

for me, no matter where the delivery comes from, they first go to a large warehouse in San Antonio, Tx, then to me. not sure how many other hubs they have around the country. for sure, there's many more.

#45 4 years ago

STI is getting worse.

For the first time out of probably 7-8 transactions, they did not show up on the date scheduled to pick up a pin. I made arrangements to stay home and be available. When I called dispatch and expressed the fact I had made arrangements to be home so the pin could be picked up he said "well, this happens to us quite often, it's nothing new. We still have until the 26th to pick up the pin"!

No hint of an apology. Quite the opposite. He admitted that it was perfectly normal for them to not show up on the day they were scheduled to show up.

Unreal.

#46 4 years ago

Buffalo NY to Brooklyn NY $429.

The guys that picked up..one guy had a bad back..the other a bad knee. Not sure how they would have gotten the pin on the truck without my makeshift Harbor Freight pin dolly.

The pin got a couple walk arounds with shrink wrap and that was it.

Not sure I can justify the cost for that type of service

#47 4 years ago

STI usually picks up the pin and then it goes to the closet hub located in your major cities. It then goes to the hub closest to the destination. Lastly, it goes from that hub to the recipient. At least that is what I was told. I'm sure there's probably variations.

I've had 2 pick-ups that went fine from STI within the last few months and before it was usually picked up between 5-7 business days and now it's closer to 7-10 business days.

#48 4 years ago

What about shipping games with actual Backglasses like the new LEs? Is there away to baby them?

#49 4 years ago

I've used Yellow Freight Trucking from business to business before, they don't do residential deliveries. It was quite reasonable IIRC, around $250. The game has to be on a pallet, strapped and wrapped or they won't ship it.

Steve

Quoted from cosmokramer:

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I've used Yellow Freight Trucking from business to business before, they don't do residential deliveries. It was quite reasonable IIRC, around $250. The game has to be on a pallet, strapped and wrapped or they won't ship it.
Steve

Unfortunately me nor the seller live at a business...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,100 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Novato, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside