(Topic ID: 226172)

Ottawa Pinball Show cancelled by tornadoes -- help a brother out

By dr_nybble

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hydro station (resized).jpg
    56A80AEA-920F-41A6-B027-80F4CA28C1EC (resized).jpeg
    25B2BDB7-A9AA-4333-B5F1-55FD0D226600 (resized).jpeg
    B6F9B931-F714-472E-9AB5-0458C42CD772 (resized).jpeg
    opgs (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fifty.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

The Die Hard Pinball League is happy to make a small contribution, we hope that helps to lessen the financial burden and helps out a city we all love. Good luck we will spread the word!!!

I cannot begin to put words together that would express how thankful I truly am for your donation. I am humbled by the kindness I am seeing from everyone and quite frankly it is overwhelming.

Thank you very much.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from tim_sanderson:

Donated. I haven't been in a couple of years, but I'd like to get back there. Hopefully it all works out.

Thank you!!! You will be welcomed with open arms when you do make it back!

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmcguy:

Donated! Best of luck going forward...

Wonderful! Thank you very much!

Quoted from frolic:

$41 away from $4k as of this writing.

We have just hit the $4K mark! FANTASTIC! Thank you once again to everyone that has opened their wallet and helped to rally behind OPGS!!!

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

really heartening to see donations coming in from specific leagues, too!

Yes, and not just in-province leagues, but out of province and out of country.

#25 5 years ago

We are down to the final few hours of this campaign and just shy of $4500 by $115 dollars. It would be fantastic to hit this mark! Thank you so much Pinsiders for helping the OPGS out of the hole the tornadoes dug us. Your donations will be put to good use!

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Not knocking going north to a show. Just saying it is a little different when you guys come south because you know 99.9% for sure you will be able to score a deal.
    Personally I love Canada in the Summer but I wouldn't want to live their in the Winter. But with that said there are plenty of places here in the States I would want to live in during the Winter either.

I would have thought it would be cheaper to come up to Canada to make a purchase? A $9000 TOM up here would be $7000USD. Plus you don't have to pay any import taxes (that I'm aware of) because the pin was originally build in the USA. How much does a typical TOM sell for in the USA? Maybe my logic is completely off...

#37 5 years ago

How does the border thing work? If someone were to bring machines from the US to Canada for the show wouldn't they have to pay at customs to bring them into Canada? Seems like it would be a real PITA to bring a dozen machines into Canada hoping to sell them then to turn around and bring some or most of them home.
    Just curious!
    It would be great if you could bring them to the show and only have to pay customs if you didn't bring them home but I know something like that would never work.
    Paying to take machines to a show sounds fairly expensive?

You need to declare them at the border. It's fairly simple to do. My Dad is 67 years old and drives down to Florida every winter with a camper full of stuff and never pays a cent on the way there or on the way back.

Essentially, you just declare it's value and record some pertinent information like serial number, description, model, value, and country of origin. On the way back, if you sold the pin, you would need to declare that you are bringing some much $$$ back into the US. If it didn't sell then you just declare that you're bringing the same pin back. There are a few tricks like just describing the item as a "pinball machine" and then trading pins and bringing back a "pinball machine" as well. Not that I know anything about this...

I'm sure someone else has more experience on this than I do.

#40 5 years ago

I do remember you can't have fresh fruit in a cooler or anything like that...

You are permitted fruit, just no citrus (oranges).

I use to travel to Maine every weekend to watch the Blackbears play hockey. We would cook dinner in the van using crock pots plugged into inverters. I remember one time we went across the border with the smell of fajitas wafting out of the van. We had chicken and steak, with shredded cheddar, tortillas wraps, salsa, guac, and veggies. The US border guard almost got in with us to share the meal. I still remember his sad face as he waved us through.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Close.
    You can bring items into Canada that Canada does NOT produce. Meaning you can bring in citrus items or bananas, just not apples. And just declare everything, they are great if you’re up front with them

Sorry, I was referring to entering the USA. Citrus fruit can't be brought across. I've had grapes confiscated as well.

#45 5 years ago

I think most policies would be for liability insurance. I'm not sure where Act Of God policies would fall.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fifty.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ottawa-pinball-show-cancelled-by-tornadoes-help-a-brother-out?tu=Fifty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.