Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinnMann
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230120_103423_HDR (resized).jpg
    20221229_085604_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160916_220006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180830_202055 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170108_214559 (resized).jpg
    20210516_130922 (resized).jpg
    3D10406E-7505-4321-ACD5-A11B2BA0D533 (resized).jpeg
    D03D2BF5-200A-4DD1-8546-5971B73308FF (resized).jpeg
    4D51B794-2527-4653-AC78-716734F80058 (resized).jpeg
    1B4AEBC3-2F8D-4459-9021-0E6C3E7C39BD (resized).jpeg
    F06D4147-40F6-4E7E-A0F2-B9C943CF8871 (resized).jpeg
    EDD1969B-00BB-416C-AB1F-4343599F2755 (resized).jpeg
    4D78BF5A-D43B-4099-B736-2FA55B2099F3 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    63147608896__CC92F00C-C810-4314-9F3C-155AD0B2A7CA (resized).jpeg
    537F5C20-DC02-4996-A16B-CD7E7974060A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ponzie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 3 years ago

Howdy folks!
    Out in Manotick here!
    May be looking to sell a pretty sweet Hobbit Smaug Edition machine soon as I'm close to pulling the trigger on a NIB JP Premium.
    (Was waiting to see if Elwin's new machine announcement was a Led Zeppelin... )

If anyone is interested in a Hobbit, would love to keep it local if possible!
    Will post pics soon...Looking to get $9,600 CAD for it.

3 months later
    #47 3 years ago

LW3 is a great first game to get into the hobby... There was one on sale on Pinballrevolution.com recently...

Good luck finding your first pin and welcome!

#53 3 years ago

Glad you got some good advice...
    When I got into the hobby, a buddy of mine was collecting 90’s and early 2000’s machines and knew he loved to fix, tinker and repair along with play and enjoy.
    While I can do the basics (and am learning stuff like soldering, etc), I wanted more time playing and modding (i.e. following instructions) rather than the enjoyment of fixing up a machine as a project.
    That means I know I pay a premium for something that is either newer (HUO) or NIB.

Normally I’d share everyone else’s advice and say “play a bunch of machines and then decide” but with COVID and most places shut down (and the Ottawa pinball show not happening this year), I’d suggest watching gameplay videos online.

The good news is that once you get into the hobby and buy your first machine, pinball machines seem to be holding their value quite well with the resurgence of popularity... so if you want to change it up in the future, you can always sell or trade...

Beyond that, it really comes down to what’s important to you... theme, gameplay, etc.

Personally, I really love the JJP GnR... but if you’re considering it, here’s what I’d say:

1. Know that you’d be waiting to actually get delivery of the machine until likely the spring at this stage since they are backed up in production
    2. You’re spending at the top end of the spectrum and could possibly get TWO older/less popular machines for the same price
    3. Be comfortable with the tax and delivery charge not being recovered in the resell value when you buy NIB
    4. If you go NIB for your first machine, you’ll be up and playing (with a manufacturer warranty) right away with no real fixes or issues that may be from previous use/owners. (Not to say there are never any issues with NIB, but generally, you’re playing as soon as you’re setup!)
    5. You may get spoiled by a JJP as they are the best a presentation/production value in pinball. That’s not to say that other manufacturers aren’t just as (or more) fun, it’s just different and again...depends what’s important to you!
    6. I find JJP machines play a bit “slower” than other pinball manufacturers. That’s not a BAD thing, that’s just different... depends what you like or are in the mood for...
    7. You need to like GnR as a band/theme obviously... This game is all about the theme integration rather than I’d say it being classified as a pure “pinball shooter”

Check out people’s collections on Pinside and generally a lot of people are really good at giving you their advice/opinion on a particular game they own or HAVE owned and sold...

So far, from what you’ve listed, you can’t go wrong with anything you’re considering!
    Good luck!

537F5C20-DC02-4996-A16B-CD7E7974060A (resized).jpeg537F5C20-DC02-4996-A16B-CD7E7974060A (resized).jpeg84593368-7315-47D9-BF66-215CA8F7014B (resized).jpeg84593368-7315-47D9-BF66-215CA8F7014B (resized).jpeg
    #57 3 years ago

It's like vanilla and chocolate ice cream. Both really good but different!

The JP has amazing shots and I love the progression through a mission to get off the island and rescue people. The alternate movie audio and video help make the game. It can be tough and brutal but also super rewarding when you make the shots.

The GnR is all about getting to (and enjoying) the songs. The presentation is the absolute best in pinball. The strategy is around scoring the most you can by setting things up before getting to the songs. It's a bit slower paced (I found Hobbit the same way), but has some awesome shots such as the upper playfield and the left outer (travel) orbit to the inner (travel) orbit.

Variety is the spice of life right?

Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Ponzie, how are you liking the GNR so far compared to Jurassic Park?

#59 3 years ago

For me, Pro vs. Premium comes down to a) do you mind spending the extra money on the title and b) do you like the extra features offered.
    They will very likely BOTH be fun...

Personally, it bothers me when there are features “missing” that the designer originally incorporated into the game.
    Normally I’d say try to play both but with current circumstances, if you’re on the fence (and have the extra $$), I’d go premium over pro.

FWIW, the only game where I preferred the pro to the premium is BKSOR (so that’s the one I own).
    I also have a Stern Star Trek pro but it’s so modded it’s basically a premium... (and it’s often cited as being a pro that holds up really well vs. the premium/LE)

Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I think I am sold on Stern machines after trying a few tonight! another pinhead was very kind to have me over and show me around!
    I was a bit distracted by the flashing lights lol and did not think of trying Jurassic Park.. but being the only available for sale I might just buy it...
    What version is the one to go to...I don't care for toys, I just want it to be super fun, is the pro enough?

#65 3 years ago

Hardest part is deciding... but again, snag what you think you’d like and if you want to switch it up, it’s not that hard!
    There’s a pretty good market in Ottawa to sell/trade pins.
    Or there’s a short drive to Montreal or a longer drive to the GTA with even more available...

I’m with HoneyBadger though...pull the trigger!
    (And let us know what you get!)

#69 3 years ago

I personally like @cait001's suggestion...
    I started with Star Wars and quickly added..........It happens...

MrMikeman I'm slowly trying to turn my JP into an LE like yours... SW may eventually go but my kids would be pretty upset with me if I sold it.

TwilightZone Seen your other Pinside/PinRev postings before. Happy to have an Ottawa spot here... there are more owners/machines here than I originally realized!

#72 3 years ago

Good choice.
    Pro or Premium?

#79 3 years ago

Well congrats!
    When you're ready to look at a second machine, you can now look for something different from your AIQ. Giving you a bit of variety.

If you're not there already, be sure to checkout Pinballrevolution.com
    Canadian specific site where people post machines for sale. MACCA.org is another site but tends to be more listings from the Montreal area.

Hope your AIQ arrives soon for you!

Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

ponzie eightball88
    I went for the Premium, I thought that the extra ramp and rising disc were important to the game, I might be wrong but being my first one and my birthday gift I went all in.
    I did look at the post about the issue with the subway and it looks like Stern has a new part, the issue is the pins slightly sticking out and blocking the balls just slightly (if I remember correctly) and another issue with the disc which they offer a replacement part. I am hoping that my pin will have all those kinks ironed out. Not too concerned anyway as they seemed small issues.
    I am contemplating getting a second one but I do not know if getting another pin without playing them first is a good idea, TMNT is tempting but reviews are 50/50... I think time will tell but it looks good to me and I do not want to lose money on the pin if the game tanks (does that ever happen?)
    Maybe I will try to get a 90s game.

#82 3 years ago

Yes indeed!

Been modding my JP Premium up while trying to get better at it (not too successful so far).

No wonder there has been such a run on new and used machines!

Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Looking forward to playing lots of pinball through this lockdown beginning tomorrow! Anyone else in Ottawa going to be doing the same?

#85 3 years ago

You've owned some beauties... (I was creeping your Collection page).
    I still have never tried a Tron machine and would love to... Great theme and cool looking machine...

Quoted from frosken:

Oi! Oi! another NCR-er...
    Would love to get a NIB, but my budget just cannot handle it... and the used ones...well... the Canadian market is soooo crazy right now (well the last 12-18 months for sure), I'll just stick with what I have for now, although...eventually...I will upgrade...
    I should have just kept my machines 10 years ago... wasn't expecting that the market would climb as quick as Tesla stock...oh well... you learn...

#91 3 years ago

Haven’t played an Elvira HoH or a Tron yet....
    Heard both are great though...

Only a few mods on the GnR but a bunch on the JP.... Think I’m pretty close to done though... any more stuff on the playfield and I’m just inviting ball traps!

1B4AEBC3-2F8D-4459-9021-0E6C3E7C39BD (resized).jpeg1B4AEBC3-2F8D-4459-9021-0E6C3E7C39BD (resized).jpeg4D51B794-2527-4653-AC78-716734F80058 (resized).jpeg4D51B794-2527-4653-AC78-716734F80058 (resized).jpegD03D2BF5-200A-4DD1-8546-5971B73308FF (resized).jpegD03D2BF5-200A-4DD1-8546-5971B73308FF (resized).jpegF06D4147-40F6-4E7E-A0F2-B9C943CF8871 (resized).jpegF06D4147-40F6-4E7E-A0F2-B9C943CF8871 (resized).jpeg
    #93 3 years ago

You’re a considerate guy!

/

Quoted from srcdube:Why wait for a lockdown? I found (and saw it recommended in other posts) that for EM's you should be playing them every day to keep everything working and contacts clean. When I skip a few days, I'm usually under the hood trying to clean or adjust something; so I play a full 4 person 5 ball game every night on my Target Alpha... plus usually a SpiderMan and Paragon game since they are RIGHT THERE and I wouldn't want either of them to feel they are being neglected.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ponzie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ottawa-ontario-pinside-members?tu=ponzie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.