Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinnMann
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230120_103423_HDR (resized).jpg
    20221229_085604_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160916_220006 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180830_202055 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170108_214559 (resized).jpg
    20210516_130922 (resized).jpg
    3D10406E-7505-4321-ACD5-A11B2BA0D533 (resized).jpeg
    D03D2BF5-200A-4DD1-8546-5971B73308FF (resized).jpeg
    4D51B794-2527-4653-AC78-716734F80058 (resized).jpeg
    1B4AEBC3-2F8D-4459-9021-0E6C3E7C39BD (resized).jpeg
    F06D4147-40F6-4E7E-A0F2-B9C943CF8871 (resized).jpeg
    EDD1969B-00BB-416C-AB1F-4343599F2755 (resized).jpeg
    4D78BF5A-D43B-4099-B736-2FA55B2099F3 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    63147608896__CC92F00C-C810-4314-9F3C-155AD0B2A7CA (resized).jpeg
    537F5C20-DC02-4996-A16B-CD7E7974060A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 3 years ago

First post here! Found this thread by looking into ottawa pinballers.
    I am located in Kanata and do not own any pinballers machines yet, and would need help from experienced pinballers so they can steer me in the right direction.

I would be interested in 90s williams machines, my favorites from that time are:

Indiana Jones, Lethal weapon 3, and T2.
    Open to try new machines too!!

Please help!

Merry christmas and happy new year.

Ps/ located in Kanata!

#52 3 years ago

LW3 is one of those pins that screams 90s for sure. I 100% agree with what the guys from down the middle said, the game is just chaotic and it is fun because of that, that is exactly how I remember it (I have not played in almost 30 years - to be honest - ) but I have more hours that I would like to admit on it, hahaha, it truly is a fun pin.

Thanks to all of you that reached out. I had the opportunity to get on the phone with some of you and appreciate the help and advice you provided me in the last 2 days! You saved me lots of money that would have hindered my introduction to the hobby.

I am ACTIVELY looking for pins and I mean it, lol...

Looking back there is a bunch of games I never paid attention too and they seemed to be a lot of fun, like monster bash, medieval madness, they are super simple and addictive. But not sure I would pay premium for those titles...
    One that left a really good impression from back in the day was Indy but I feel like I should play it again, to make sure I am not tripping... it feels a bit claustrophobic, the playfield is very crowded and not sure if I would enjoy that game today...

I certainly want to own a T2 game and I am still looking for one, that one is the game that got me into pinball so I must own it, but I am looking for a collector's piece if I am paying premium.

Well, my 40th birthday is coming up and I need a pin... I am considering buying new if I do not find a decent 90s pin....You only live once and Jersey Jack pins look amazing but they seem very expensive... I don't want to make mistakes so I will keep studying the internet and YouTube for things.

Curious about the GNR pin. Thoughts?

#55 3 years ago

Thanks for this!

Quoted from Ponzie:

Glad you got some good advice...
    When I got into the hobby, a buddy of mine was collecting 90’s and early 2000’s machines and knew he loved to fix, tinker and repair along with play and enjoy.
    While I can do the basics (and am learning stuff like soldering, etc), I wanted more time playing and modding (i.e. following instructions) rather than the enjoyment of fixing up a machine as a project.
    That means I know I pay a premium for something that is either newer (HUO) or NIB.
    Normally I’d share everyone else’s advice and say “play a bunch of machines and then decide” but with COVID and most places shut down (and the Ottawa pinball show not happening this year), I’d suggest watching gameplay videos online.
    The good news is that once you get into the hobby and buy your first machine, pinball machines seem to be holding their value quite well with the resurgence of popularity... so if you want to change it up in the future, you can always sell or trade...
    Beyond that, it really comes down to what’s important to you... theme, gameplay, etc.
    Personally, I really love the JJP GnR... but if you’re considering it, here’s what I’d say:
    1. Know that you’d be waiting to actually get delivery of the machine until likely the spring at this stage since they are backed up in production
    2. You’re spending at the top end of the spectrum and could possibly get TWO older/less popular machines for the same price
    3. Be comfortable with the tax and delivery charge not being recovered in the resell value when you buy NIB
    4. If you go NIB for your first machine, you’ll be up and playing (with a manufacturer warranty) right away with no real fixes or issues that may be from previous use/owners. (Not to say there are never any issues with NIB, but generally, you’re playing as soon as you’re setup!)
    5. You may get spoiled by a JJP as they are the best a presentation/production value in pinball. That’s not to say that other manufacturers aren’t just as (or more) fun, it’s just different and again...depends what’s important to you!
    6. I find JJP machines play a bit “slower” than other pinball manufacturers. That’s not a BAD thing, that’s just different... depends what you like or are in the mood for...
    7. You need to like GnR as a band/theme obviously... This game is all about the theme integration rather than I’d say it being classified as a pure “pinball shooter”
    Check out people’s collections on Pinside and generally a lot of people are really good at giving you their advice/opinion on a particular game they own or HAVE owned and sold...
    So far, from what you’ve listed, you can’t go wrong with anything you’re considering!
    Good luck! [quoted image][quoted image]

#58 3 years ago

I think I am sold on Stern machines after trying a few tonight! another pinhead was very kind to have me over and show me around!

I was a bit distracted by the flashing lights lol and did not think of trying Jurassic Park.. but being the only available for sale I might just buy it...

What version is the one to go to...I don't care for toys, I just want it to be super fun, is the pro enough?

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from srcdube:

Nice to see activity picking up in this forum.
    Interesting to follow the discussions about buying brand new pins from the manufacturers... man... how can you afford them? It's like, do I want a pinball machine, or do I want a car?
    I guess HUO machines would be next up (like buying a used fleet car?).
    Anyway... the newer machines are much to fast and complicated for us old guys who grew up on 70's/80's pins anyway, so not usually a price problem for us unless you're trying to find la creme de la creme machines like Fathom and Centaur, etc... You young'ns have got way too much money to blow (or maybe just not married yet )

well you only live once...
    Definitely not an easy pill to swallow specially this being my first pin, but I quickly learned that these things, unlike a car, do not depreciate...so I do not feel bad for buying one (and not needing one). This is definitely a wanna have, a bucket list thing, a dream come true(?) maybe a stretch but not really... It is an expensive toy.... ?
    What is that saying, Boys never grow up, they just get older and their toys get more expensive... is that it? As for affordability, yeah, certainly not a cheap hobby but since depreciation is almost non-existent, It is money in the bank... or money in the basement/living area where your pin lives...
    Cheers

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Just go buy a Jurassic Park already!

haha, I want AIQ I think!

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Guess I should join the group, being just across the river in the NCR.
    Hey ottawaflip , if you want to try JP before you buy you can come over.
    ponzie , let me know when you get tired of SW....

I missed this post, I had been reading other threads and did not come back to this one until just now... dang it! Thanks very much for the offer! I actually did buy a game and went for AIQ 2 days ago NIB and it is has an ETA of 1 month! Really looking forward to it, it looks like an awesome game.
    Again thanks again for the offer, I probably would have messaged you if I'd seen it before buying my game.

I spent a few hours watching gameplay on YouTube for both games and decided for AIQ. I think I will enjoy this game, they layout seems like my style, I like them open at the bottom with long shots happening at the back and JP was a bit crowded to me, with only the right hand side open.

JP does not look bad however and it does have a lot going on, it is at the top of my list until I can play it somewhere... but not now because I certainly cannot buy 2 pins in 1 week if I want to stay married? do I? lol

I am already thinking of what is next... I think I will need an intervention, Very curious what is announced from CGC soon, I truly hope it is something I do not want.

#74 3 years ago

Ponzie Eightball88
    I went for the Premium, I thought that the extra ramp and rising disc were important to the game, I might be wrong but being my first one and my birthday gift I went all in.
    I did look at the post about the issue with the subway and it looks like Stern has a new part, the issue is the pins slightly sticking out and blocking the balls just slightly (if I remember correctly) and another issue with the disc which they offer a replacement part. I am hoping that my pin will have all those kinks ironed out. Not too concerned anyway as they seemed small issues.

I am contemplating getting a second one but I do not know if getting another pin without playing them first is a good idea, TMNT is tempting but reviews are 50/50... I think time will tell but it looks good to me and I do not want to lose money on the pin if the game tanks (does that ever happen?)

Maybe I will try to get a 90s game.

#76 3 years ago

hi, it's me again, THE NEW GUY... lol

Soooo, how do you guys get your machines down to the basement?
    I am lucky to have a walkout basement - BUT - it is a sliding door and as such, it is only 24" when open...

I never had to disassemble a sliding before and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these:
    Looking for advise on how to take both sashes off, or maybe just one, the opening would be 27" with one sash off, probably not enough...?
    63147608896__CC92F00C-C810-4314-9F3C-155AD0B2A7CA (resized).jpeg63147608896__CC92F00C-C810-4314-9F3C-155AD0B2A7CA (resized).jpeg

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Call me, I have the exact same door. This is easy peasy.

I'll give you a shout tomorrow! thanks!

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Looking forward to playing lots of pinball through this lockdown beginning tomorrow! Anyone else in Ottawa going to be doing the same?

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ottawa-ontario-pinside-members?tu=Pin_Fandango and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.