(Topic ID: 153238)

Other Arcade Game Sub-Forum? Yes Please!

By jalkelly

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CactusJack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should Pinside have a dedicated sub-forum for Other Arcade Games?”

• Yes! I don't want to go anywhere else to get my fix. 40 votes
      66%
    • No! KLOV 4 Life. It's called PINside for a reason. 21 votes
      34%

(61 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ned-flanders-luigi-1up_(resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg

#1 8 years ago

Let's try this again! Since the other thread got locked I wanted to reopen the conversation here. The grass roots movement was building up steam and I don't want it to fizzle out. This is not about one person which was evident by the last poll with 160 individuals in favor!

So...Do you want a Sub-Forum on Pinside dedicated to Other Arcade Games? This would not be Video Game specific but encompass everything we already have right next to our beloved pins that were commonly found in arcades: Ball Bowlers, Foosball, Bubble Hockey, Pool Tables and yes...Video Games!

To be clear, I am not advocating for the ability to add Donkey Kong or Super Chexx to my collection but it makes sense to combine the threads that already exist in one place.

Reminder! Sub-Forums can be disabled with one click and you will NEVER see the threads inside them. Let's do this!

#2 8 years ago

no...pins only
    images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago

Cosmo, thanks for the reply!

If you disabled the sub-forum and never saw it...would it still bother you? My wife records Project Runway...I never have to watch it but it makes her happy so all good!

#4 8 years ago

actually it doesn't bother me one bit either way, I just wanted to post the tough guy pic...

#5 8 years ago

use www.publicgames.com for non-pin stuff.
    free site.

#6 8 years ago

I want a Coke machine sub-forum, and a cigarette machine sub-forum.

Those first or you get nothing!. And like it!

#7 8 years ago

i want a candy cigarette machine and scratch & sniff collectable lionman trading cards machine sub-forum.

#8 8 years ago

What we really need is a condom dispenser sub-forum.

#9 8 years ago

Think of it this way...I can start separate threads for which foosball table to buy or the best version of nba jam in the basement which you would see.

If they 'belonged' in a sub-forum that you had already disabled you would never have to see them.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from jalkelly:

Think of it this way...I can start separate threads for which foosball table to buy or the best version of nba jam in the basement which you would see.

Think of it this way... I can start a separate thread about hookers, and I could start a separate thread about blow, and if we had a sub-forum they wouldn't end up in the basement.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Think of it this way... I can start a separate thread about hookers, and I could start a separate thread about blow, and if we had a sub-forum they wouldn't end up in the basement.

Sinside?

#12 8 years ago

No. "PIN"side..... Even my 5-year old knows what that means... We don't need 100 more Kanedas

#13 8 years ago

Truth is I've played video games, but it seems the influx of hardcore only video gamers turned pinballers has not been good for this hobby as they are starting to dictate how things should be. So no more nerds or nerdy things are really necessary.

#14 8 years ago

hidey-ho nay-bor

ned-flanders-luigi-1up_(resized).jpgned-flanders-luigi-1up_(resized).jpg

#15 8 years ago

I think its a tough call. A lot of us pinheads do have videos also. I'd like to be able to share and discuss my video stuff with my fellow pinsiders. Yes I'm on KLOV but pins are #1 vids second.
    But for everyone looking I do have 5 working 19 inch monitors for sale.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Truth is I've played video games, but it seems the influx of hardcore only video gamers turned pinballers has not been good for this hobby as they are starting to dictate how things should be. So no more nerds or nerdy things are really necessary.

Sorry Bro-Din. Not buying the 'video game guys are toxic' rebuttal. Check out the 'What arcade games do you own?' thread linked below. It is one of the most positive threads, there might not be a thumbs down for 20 pages. Same vibe as the Gameroom pics thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-arcade-games-do-you-own

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What we really need is a condom dispenser sub-forum.

... I think I'll look into what Beezleboob's been posting ...

#18 8 years ago

I really do not see what the big deal is. Why not just create an Arcade topic icon under forum section where people can discuss arcade games? If you choose not to look at arcade forum then click the icon to turn it off so it does not appear. The market would be the same but with more options under find what: Pinball machine, parts, mods, other and arcade. Most of us are into both, so it only makes sense, plus I do not care for the KLOV format.

-Bring on the arcade icon I am all for it!

#19 8 years ago

I voted yes, but how about instead of just a Arcade machine sub-forum Pinside makes a whole Coin-op sub forum? Mostly for arcade games, but you can discuss bubble Chexx hockey, pachinko, gum ball machines, foosball, skee ball crane games anything arcade coin op related. I've seen topics for all these scattered around Pinside. It would be cool if they were all in the same place.

Silverball Pinball Museum. Is a great place to play a lot of pinball but even they have a few arcade machines, skee ball, bubble hockey etc. Just like there, you only want to play pins you just ignore the other stuff. Here you only want to discuss/read about pins you ignore the other stuff.

Just my take.

#20 8 years ago

I think calling it Other Coin-Op Sub-Forum works too. Then O-din would have a place to discuss his combo cigarette/condom machine idea before he takes it to Shark Tank!

There are a few people that have actual change machines in their gamerooms, Frolics comes to mind and I think that is rad! I would love to have a wall unit someday and set everything up to accept coins.

#21 8 years ago

I'm in favor of an arcade sub forum and/or a sister site to Pinside with arcades. Would be great.

#22 8 years ago

I just made a video game for sale thread to hold us over until they deside if they are going to make a sub-form.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-arcade-games-parts-for-sale

Post your for sale video arcades here.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm in favor of an arcade sub forum and/or a sister site to Pinside with arcades. Would be great.

Just the sub, no sister site. We don't need all the KLOV guys over here. Just the ones that like pinball also.

#24 8 years ago

I would love this. I collect all things gameroom. (I have a brand new skeet ball on the way.) And it would be nice to find high end restore arcades. Besides the occasional bitching most pinside members are awesome compared to other forums so I would much rather deal with pinside members.

By the way still looking for 1983 Star Wars arcade cockpit collector quality. Lol

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Just the sub, no sister site. We don't need all the KLOV guys over here. Just the ones that like pinball also.

I am in favor of a sub forum for arcade games but I also think an external link feature would be useful. For example, I recently asked, in the basement, where to find more information about jukebox restoration. I was given a link to an external site which was extremely helpful.

The feature would look like the ask LLoyd paragraph but contain a brief paragraph or description with some links for jukebox restoration. So when someone goes to search jukebox restoration via pinside that reference page would come up along with whatever posts.

Same thing for arcades. When searching for arcades all of the posts related to arcades would come up like they do right now but also a reference page would come up with links to KLOV and others.

Just saying...

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I just made a video game for sale thread to hold us over until they deside if they are going to make a sub-form.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-arcade-games-parts-for-sale
    Post your for sale video arcades here.

The problem with that is they decided to shove you in the basement where threads go to die.

Lets talk about some of the advantages of having an arcade icon-not a separate website just an icon.

One advantage is Robin and pinside staff can reap the benefit of charging a fee for the for sale ads just like pinball. The other big advantage that I see is increasing the number of potential people that will get into pinball because of the correlation with video games. I have seen quite a few video game guys turned into pinheads over the years and visa versa. Having one site where everyone can network and have discussions would be great. Just because it is called "Pinside" or is focused on pinball does not mean you cannot have both.

#27 8 years ago

I had to break the rules when posting my wtb Star Wars arcade because the basement gets no traffic so I was not going to put the thread in off topic and as stated earlier I prefer to deal with pinside members.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I have seen quite a few video game guys turned into pinheads over the years and visa versa. Having one site where everyone can network and have discussions would be great. Just because it is called "Pinside" or is focused on pinball does not mean you cannot have both.

I totally agree with this. I feel arcade games are a gateway drug to pins.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I totally agree with this. I feel arcade games are a gateway drug to pins.

Guilty here. My first arcade game I bought was a video.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from jalkelly:

Do you want a Sub-Forum on Pinside dedicated to Other Arcade Games?

NO I don't. I vote no.

KLOV has a few pinball sub-forums. Here's some recent stats and proof a Pinside video game sub-forum is not needed:

Yesterday (2-25-2016) the KLOV/pinball forum had 4 posts;
    Yesterday (2-25-2016) the KLOV/pinball for sale had 2 post;
    Yesterday (2-25-2016) the KLOV/pinball wanted had 0 posts.

That day was not special, it is like that every day. Very rarely more and often less.

As I mentioned in the other thread, in all seriousness, if you had a pinball game for sale or wanted to buy or wanted to talk about it, where would you post? On Pinside or the KLOV/pinball sub-forum(s)?

If you had a video game for sale or wanted to buy or wanted to talk about it, where would you post? On KLOV or on the (proposed) Pinside/video game sub-forum?

There is no question where you'd have a wider audience. Why waste the time and space and set up a video game sub-forum here?

And in the end, it's not a vote at all, it's up to Robin.

Robin: I know you were leaning to yes on this, I hope you'll read this post and reconsider.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

KLOV has a few pinball sub-forums. Here's some recent stats and proof a Pinside video game sub-forum is not needed:
    That day was not special, it is like that every day. Very rarely more and often less.

Pinside has a vastly more friendly user interface. Pinside is a superior designed site (I feel it is so much so that that is objective and not subjective). Pinside would attract more activity with an arcade section than KLOV attracts with their current active pinball sections. Results on KLOV with their pinball section are in no way indicative of what the results on Pinside would be with an arcade section.

The above is just my personal opinion of course.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

NO I don't. I vote no.

1. This tell me nothing other then a few KLOV people are into pins. They are not trying to become the next Pinside.
    But I'm sure they feel the same about there community as we do with ours. I check the KLOV pin forum once a day and I'm pretty sure others here do to.
    2. This is pretty much what I would be looking for in regards to numbers here. Basically, mostly us pinsiders listing our arcades to each other without being locked in the basement. I put many arcades items and games up on KLOV and different places when I was selling off some stuff to buy more pins. Many of the people that bought from me were pinsiders. And at least two are now pinsiders after seeing my pictures of pins in the background and chating with them.

#33 8 years ago

Another way to look at it would be asking how many pinsiders have other games beside pins.
    Current collection:
    50 pins, 5 video games, 1 fooseball table, 1 shuffle ally and 1 dart game.

#34 8 years ago

I voted yes.

Do I ever go to the basement sub forum? No... But I am glad that it's there.

I feel exactly the same way about Em games in general. I don't post over there but I am glad that there is a place for those that do.

#35 8 years ago

Sure, why not? Why vote no to a sub-forum if you'd never participate in anyway?

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Sure, why not? Why vote no to a sub-forum if you'd never participate in anyway?

Are you not the guy that makes those touchscreen jukeboxes? What better place to have a page about them.

#37 8 years ago

Agreed. I am waiting for a cosmetic part for one kiosk and also have two bar tops ready for sale. Would be a nice spot to talk about them and show them. I've been a member of KLOV for ages, but rarely go there because I don't like the interface.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I feel exactly the same way about Em games in general. I don't post over there but I am glad that there is a place for those that do.

Me neither. Not really pinball is it.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Pinside has a vastly more friendly user interface. Pinside is a superior designed site (I feel it is so much so that that is objective and not subjective). Pinside would attract more activity with an arcade section than KLOV attracts with their current active pinball sections. Results on KLOV with their pinball section are in no way indicative of what the results on Pinside would be with an arcade section.
    The above is just my personal opinion of course.

Couldn't agree more with this.

Robin, let's find out if Tiger is right. If not for us, do it for Martijn!

#40 8 years ago

I only have one non-pin game and I would still at least check out this sub category occasionally.

#41 8 years ago

I vote for a separate site with Pinside's interface.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I vote for a separate site with Pinside's interface.

that would seem like the best alternative.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Me neither. Not really pinball is it.

Yep

#44 8 years ago

I am absolutely positive this suggestion will go no where, but I'll bring it up anyhow...

How about a merging of Pinside and KLOV?

It would take a really big ego compromise between Robin and Greg, but it would benefit everyone. Both sites ask for donations. I'm not saying the cost of the website would be cut in half, but it would certainly be reduced by a significant amount.

And we could have the best of all worlds, start fresh with the latest and newest technoology. Take the best of both worlds. Contrary to what a lot of you say, there are definitely nice things on the KLOV interface that Pinside doesn't have.

It could be "Coin Operated Amusement" forum or something like that, and then break down into various categories.

And redundancy between the two sites would be 100% eliminated.

And then we'd have a unified pm system. (Why anyone prefers pm's to email is beyond me). I know, they'll be complaining like, "aw man, with a merged site, there would only be one pm mailbox I'd have to care for instead of two".

Still, it's a serious suggestion. Let's merge the two sites. Maybe they could handle it if they were both 50-50 equal share co-owners?

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

#45 8 years ago

Crazy talk

#46 8 years ago

Joe, you and I are friends but merging Pinside with Klov would be like merging San Diego with Tijuana.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Joe, you and I are friends but merging Pinside with Klov would be like merging San Diego with Tijuana.

I am okay with that as long as they move the border crossing to somewhere just south of Oceanside.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/other-arcade-game-sub-forum-yes-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.