(Topic ID: 188912)

Otaku's 'ULTIMATE ELECTRO-MECHANICAL GUIDE' & EM THEORY OF OPERATION!

By Otaku

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 178 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dooskie
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3463 (resized).PNG
    media-popbumpers.png
    earlierdangers-justlinevoltage.png
    reservednotice.png
    reservednotice.png
    reservednotice.png
    reservednotice.png
    reservednotice.png
    detail (3).jpg
    royalflushhighvoltage.png
    badlineroyalflush.png
    Screenshot_5828.png
    partfive.png
    closingnotes.png
    parttwentyone.png
    parttwenty.png
    There are 178 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #52 6 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

I'm not terribly old, but I could certainly do without the "old-man" bashing in this guide. It completely detracts from your intent which, I assume, is to help people.
    Also, posting your age at the end of a guide? Dammit Otaku!
    Anyway, its a very good start, look forward to seeing the final version.

...................Imagine A few changes to the Lyrics and you could have Otaco's pinball fixing guide song.......

original lyrics :

"Hey Nineteen"

Way back when
    In Sixty-seven
    I was the dandy
    Of Gamma Chi
    Sweet things from Boston
    So young and willing
    Moved down to Scarsdale
    Where the hell am I
    Hey Nineteen
    No we can't dance together
    No we can't talk at all
    Please take me along
    When you slide on down

Hey Nineteen
    That's 'Retha Franklin
    She don't remember
    The Queen of Soul
    It's hard times befallen
    The Soul Survivors
    She thinks I'm crazy
    But I'm just growing old

Hey Nineteen
    No we got nothing in common
    No we can't talk at all
    Please take me along
    When you slide on down

Nice
    Sure looks good
    Mmm-mmm-mmm
    Skate a little lower now

The Cuervo Gold
    The fine Colombian
    Make tonight a wonderful thing

The Cuervo Gold
    The fine Colombian

The Cuervo Gold
    The fine Colombian

No we can't talk at all

Just substitute the basement saga, some pinside calamities and mix.... could be quite a tune.

IE: " file the points a little slower now " instead of Skate a little lower now.... " Make repairs a wonderful thing "......

#53 6 years ago

Hey Otkau-
    This is what pinside is for- helping others by sharing information. The more information out there the better.

Dont let the "old guys" who just have to complain, bother you.
    They forgot what it was like to be young.

I am an "old guy," and alot of people under 30 years old just plan bug me. They talk to much, are way to cocky, and make poor decisions that parents/adults have to help solve. Just like I did at that age

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

I'm not terribly old, but I could certainly do without the "old-man" bashing in this guide. It completely detracts from your intent which, I assume, is to help people.

I was more referring to the "let's fill this machine with WD-40 and duct tape fixes everything because that's what my grandpappy taught me" type of people rather than the valuable old-timers we have around here, no worries

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

I didn't read through this, but it looks like quite an effort. Since you took the time and effort to do this, you should read through the pinwiki and see what NEW material you can contribute to it. This way it is preserved and organized - and no drama is attached to it. A lot of effort went into setting that up and contributing to it, when Clay's site first went down. After literally months of work, there was enough material to be useful.
    If you are willing to do that, I would be more than happy to read through what you have and comment on it.
    One comment, after a quick perusal of your rust removal:

Yet the product information states:
    amazon.com link »
    Super Safe Rust Remover
    Contains No Acids
    Non-Toxic, Non-Flammable, Odorless, safe on skin
    Biodegradable
    Contains No Acids
    Non-Toxic
    Biodegradable
    No Fumes
    Safe on skin
    I think you are actually describing phosphoric acid in some form - like Lightning Rust Remover.
    So, you could actually add a third method after you fix up you section.
    Regarding your coil myth busting - you need to draw a real conclusion and discuss trouble shooting. I don't think any of the "old geezers" (who oh, by the way forgot more than you will ever know), really say either a coil works or it doesn't. Internal shorts are a well known issue and are typically measured via an ohm meter and comparison to a like part or a reference like John's Jukes (one of the aforementioned "geezers".
    https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html
    But, more to the point, you should consider what you are adding and why? If it is just a post in pinside, it will likely get buried in the multitude of other posts. If it is a rehash of old material, why do it? If it is organized or explained in a new way, consider adding it to the pinwiki.

Hmm - everywhere I've seen it mentioned people note that you should wear gloves. Could be. I guess gloves can't hurt, and I've never experienced it without gloves on to say any different. So - I think I'll leave it as is for now just to be safe but I am curious about looking into this further.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

Also, posting your age at the end of a guide? Dammit Otaku!

It was more for personal reference for when I look back on it. Yes, it's very typical-Otaku to do (I haven't done it in a while - had to get my fix ) but it's strange how much it bothers people 'round here. I'm just proud of how far I've come with a computer and very little money in a rich person's hobby. I have made pinball my life and fund my hobby my fixing them for other people, including solid-state machines and arcade machines. I'm just pretty proud of that.

I have no interest about the attention side of it. Also, a lot of people tend to mistake my excitement and enthusiasm about the hobby and games for bragging. It amuses me when I pick up a really nice game and I'm like "check out this MINT game!" because I'm excited and while some share the sentiment of a cool new pickup there's always the people that are like "QUIT BRAGGING!!!!! THAT'S NOT MINT!!!!! MINE IS BETTER!!!!!". I guess you get those insecure guys in every hobby. In the end I'm just here to share the love of pinball. If people get jealous I must be doing something right, hah.

Thanks for your input! (I went off on a little tangent in this post as a catch-all, so no offense - not all you!)

#59 6 years ago

What did you spend the $40 bucks on that I sent you?

#60 6 years ago

Wasn't a haircut - I still might donate for that myself.

It's great Steven is 19 now, in just a couple more years and he can legally drink all that Budweiser in his Grandma's basement.

From an old guy to a young guy though - don't drink it Steven - Bud is poohy stuff. I wonder if you can use it to clean pinball legs ?

This "guide" has quite a different writing style with some amusing or aggravating side dialog depending on the reader, but I'm sure there just might be a morsel or two even for us old farts .... Thinking I'll still stick with Clay's guide though for reference.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I would venture a guess it was part of Team One or another machine. A couple weeks ago, after the flood posts that I stopped reading, he inquired about a machine I have for sale and I was like, "hmmm, really???"

Sorry Otaku, but I really think you should make an attempt to return that money. You've gone down a slippery slope and have become "that guy."

I'm not involved in this situation at all and I feel very upset for all of these people who sent you money out of kindness only to have you post about new machines you bought.

You definitely scammed these people (it most likely wasn't intentional) and I don't know how you can show your face at events or even house parties. Making this "guide" is not paying it forward.

I realize I'm putting gas on the fire, and I probably don't know all the facts, but I would feel embarrassed if I was in your situation.

Sorry bud, do the right thing

#62 6 years ago

I read some of the guide and it is impressive to say the least. However the self laudatory nature of some of the comments will turn some folks off. I give the kid props for his effort and his knowledge which is more than I have but I also have a hard time with his attitude and the chip that seems to be perpetually on his shoulder....

#63 6 years ago

Must be a tough question, won't answer.

#64 6 years ago

He will probably say it's in another account or such. Tough to make that wash. At best any rhetoric looks very awkward. Returning all the funds is probably the only way to save any face at this point.

Probably all water under the bridge anyhow, or water under the pins as was the case made in the plea for funds. Tough to back peddle or paddle now.

#65 6 years ago

This will unfortunately never erase a horrible comment about someone's wife and nothing will. Welcome to your growing pains. It's obvious you don't like advice from old people like me and others so good luck ace. I didn't either, but would have been better off understanding the advice that was given to me then. Must be a path we all go down thing.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

...................Imagine A few changes to the Lyrics and you could have Otaco's pinball fixing guide song.......
    original lyrics :
    "Hey Nineteen"
    Way back when
    In Sixty-seven
    I was the dandy
    Of Gamma Chi
    Sweet things from Boston
    So young and willing
    Moved down to Scarsdale
    Where the hell am I
    Hey Nineteen
    No we can't talk at all
    Please take me along
    When you slide on down
    Hey Nineteen
    That's 'Retha Franklin
    She don't remember
    The Queen of Soul
    It's hard times befallen
    The Soul Survivors
    She thinks I'm crazy
    But I'm just growing old
    Hey Nineteen
    No we got nothing in common
    No we can't talk at all
    Please take me along
    When you slide on down
    Nice
    Sure looks good
    Mmm-mmm-mmm
    Skate a little lower now
    The Cuervo Gold
    The fine Colombian
    The Cuervo Gold
    The fine Colombian
    The Cuervo Gold
    The fine Colombian
    No we can't talk at all
    Just substitute the basement saga, some pinside calamities and mix.... could be quite a tune.
    IE: " file the points a little slower now " instead of Skate a little lower now.... " Make repairs a wonderful thing "......

Steely Dan is the soundtrack of my soul

#67 6 years ago

I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl and they were awesome they have not lost their voice or anything. Best concert ever.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl and they were awesome they have not lost their voice or anything. Best concert ever.

I thought they were more of a studio band, the live recordings I have heard were so-so at best, but on the other hand, there's nothing like a live performance.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I have no interest about the attention side of it.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

It's great Steven is 19 now, in just a couple more years and he can legally drink all that Budweiser in his Grandma's basement

Technically he is already legal to drink in private residence basement

#71 6 years ago

I highly recommend seeing them live it sounded just like the albums it was a fan set list with all the greats. I'm old now so I love a good seat nowadays unlike the past. It was a good time.

#72 6 years ago

There are only two members the rest of the band were always studio guys.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Quoted from Electrocute:

Must be a tough question, won't answer.

I'm not sure what you expect me to do when the stuff is paid for and I keep earning money (like people with jobs do) even after the deed is done. Contribute the rest of my future life earnings for the rest of my life to the pope? Abstain from pinball forever?

The stuff was paid for (to family, which is in the process of going to the quote they decided on), which is then going to be obviously exchanged for the work done. I bought pinball because why not? I earned extra after we had come to a conclusion and my part was done both with donations and a similar but larger amount I stepped up to work up myself to make it as easy on my family as possible to where they would cover the rest. Use your brain. Can't really pay for something twice, can you?

You guys are the worst. You're honestly miserable people. The good people on Pinside are the ones who keep their mouths shut online, which I'm also guilty of not doing enough. Hop off my thread when you don't know me, my life, or any of the facts. (Or you'd be able to answer your own ridiculous concerns)

I see why so many people bash this place. It's become a cess pool of a select group of middle-aged men who stroke each others' egos by giving each other virtual meaningless internet points. If you have so much time to follow me around across threads, sorry your life is so empty. Life is not all about pinball.

If I knew you were gonna be all pissy about donating, I would have said don't bother. You don't donate a toy to Goodwill and then follow the kid around who gets it to make sure they aren't too rough with it. Nobody is else is playing patrol officer (and many donated a lot more than you). Pitiful.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

I would venture a guess it was part of Team One or another machine. A couple weeks ago, after the flood posts that I stopped reading, he inquired about a machine I have for sale and I was like, "hmmm, really???"
    Sorry Otaku, but I really think you should make an attempt to return that money. You've gone down a slippery slope and have become "that guy."
    I'm not involved in this situation at all and I feel very upset for all of these people who sent you money out of kindness only to have you post about new machines you bought.
    You definitely scammed these people (it most likely wasn't intentional) and I don't know how you can show your face at events or even house parties. Making this "guide" is not paying it forward.
    I realize I'm putting gas on the fire, and I probably don't know all the facts, but I would feel embarrassed if I was in your situation.
    Sorry bud, do the right thing

I was asking for somebody else looking to buy an EM, who I instead found a Mibs for and then got prepaid well to restore about two weeks ago. (which paid for itself and more games since I already did other work to pay off my portion of the basement cost)

If you were so offended maybe you shouldn't have replied let alone 3 times, but I guess money is money!:

IMG_3463 (resized).PNGIMG_3463 (resized).PNG

Anyways, who even ARE you? You come in here swingin' but I've never even met you or talked you before besides once when you asked me for HELP and I wrote you a giant reply a few months ago. Nice. Congratulations on finding a seat on the bandwagon.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I thought they were more of a studio band, the live recordings I have heard were so-so at best, but on the other hand, there's nothing like a live performance.

The thing with Steely Dan is that during their studio sessions, they'd look for specific musicians that were skilled in producing whatever sound they were looking for on a particular track. They never had a consistent band. However, being as picky as they were with the sound quality, mastering, and selection of musicians, when it came to remastering their albums sometime in the early 2000s, the record companies found that they barely had to do anything to clean up the audio quality--the original masters were *that* good. Early live performances were always lackluster, imho.

However, the 5 or 6 times I've seen them recently, I have to say, they get better every time I see them. They've definitely figured out the whole "live" scene for sure. The whole group is filled with astoundingly talented musicians. Definitely masters of their craft--something seldom seen these days...

#76 6 years ago

I think the point is there was no emergency therefore you still are in the quote process and it's good you worked hard and could have fixed all your problems yourself without donations. They obviously helped and now you have extra money for games instead of taking care of your situation. That is going to rub people the wrong way I don't know how you can't see that,and then the comment about someone's wife is horrible.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I think the point is there was no emergency therefore you still are in the quote process and it's good you worked hard and could have fixed all your problems yourself without donations. They obviously helped and now you have extra money for games instead of taking care of your situation. That is going to rub people the wrong way I don't know how you can't see that,and then the comment about someone's wife is horrible.

The ridiculousness of these claims is leaving me baffled lol

Not only did I not spend donations on games I contributed a bunch of my own money to the cause as well, eliminating the problem (besides the waiting game) before making any purchases

And I barely even asked for donations it was once sentence with an e-mail in it, you and your homeboys are really the ones who helped with the publicity for me. The real help was the Escalera and physical help (if anybody had decided to show up), which was the point of the thread

#78 6 years ago

nevermind, better route

#79 6 years ago

I knew the emergency was to get your games upstairs you didn't need any money you obviously should not have asked. You judge people here but don't look in the mirror. I think you should think twice before bragging you stole a game from someone and calling a mans wife a horror,as well as taking money for something that is still not fixed. I thought I was being helpful and nice but if you can't see that you are truly as dumb as you look.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

If you were so offended maybe you shouldn't have replied let alone 3 times, but I guess money is money!

Honestly, I was fishing for a response because I couldn't believe that you sent me a message looking to buy a machine so soon after everyone had given you money

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I was asking for somebody else looking to buy an EM, who I instead found a Mibs for and then got prepaid well to restore about two weeks ago. (which paid for itself and more games since I already did other work to pay off my portion of the basement cost)

Do you hear yourself???? You cried and created a topic on here about how you had an inch of water in part of your basement and begged for donations. Then soon after you start bragging about new machines you bought! Then say that you bought it with money that you worked hard for! Are you kidding me?

What is wrong with this picture?

You're a sad, sad person and I feel sorry for you.

I come on here like the rest of use to share pictures, stories, hunt for machines, maybe sell a machine, and interact with the people in the hobby. Typically I wouldn't say anything in this particular situation. When you posted about your GIANT flood I was too far away to come lift machines so I didn't bother replying that I couldn't help. I didn't even post about you contacting me about my machine for sale because I just wanted to be nice.

Then only weeks later do you brag about buying a new machine for "your price" and say how nice it is! You are a scam artist! Nothing changes that and since you have earned all this extra money for pinball machines I'm glad you thought about paying back those who have helped you....Oh wait you didn't. Instead you made a post about how great you think you are.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

Do you hear yourself???? You cried and created a topic on here about how you had an inch of water in part of your basement and begged for donations. Then soon after you start bragging about new machines you bought! Then say that you bought it with money that you worked hard for! Are you kidding me?
    What is wrong with this picture?
    You're a sad, sad person and I feel sorry for you.
    I come on here like the rest of use to share pictures, stories, hunt for machines, maybe sell a machine, and interact with the people in the hobby. Typically I wouldn't say anything in this particular situation. When you posted about your GIANT flood I was too far away to come lift machines so I didn't bother replying that I couldn't help. I didn't even post about you contacting me about my machine for sale because I just wanted to be nice.
    Then only weeks later do you brag about buying a new machine for "your price" and say how nice it is! You are a scam artist! Nothing changes that and since you have earned all this extra money for pinball machines I'm glad you thought about paying back those who have helped you....Oh wait you didn't. Instead you made a post about how great you think you are.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I knew the emergency was to get your games upstairs you didn't need any money you obviously should not have asked. You judge people here but don't look in the mirror. I think you should think twice before bragging you stole a game from someone and calling a mans wife a horror,as well as taking money for something that is still not fixed. I thought I was being helpful and nice but if you can't see that you are truly as dumb as you look.

Didn't ask, just left the door open. One sentence in a veeeeeeery long post. Worked out well, and people who were too far but wanted to contribute were able.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Anyways, who even ARE you?

Who am I? I'm a normal 28-year-old who studied hard and worked his way though college on his own. I have been around pinball my whole life thanks to my great father, who I share this hobby with. I taught myself how to fix and restore pinball machines and doesn't brag about it as if I'm saving the future of pinball. I'm the guy who doesn't ask for handouts like candy when there is a problem. I'm also the guy who when something goes wrong is right there to save your life. Thats who I am.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

Who am I? I'm a normal 28-year-old who studied hard and worked his way though college on his own. I have been around pinball my whole life thanks to my great father, who I share this hobby with. I taught myself how to fix and restore pinball machines and doesn't brag about it as if I'm saving the future of pinball. I'm the guy who doesn't ask for handouts like candy when there is a problem. I'm also the guy who when something goes wrong is right there to save your life. Thats who I am.

"I don't brag, but here's some bragging." Lol.

I/we are the future of pinball. I don't brag about it but I also don't pretend it's not a fact, especially when I hear it all the time. (Death is an unfortunate reality) I am simply passionate about a future of EM pinball. Many of the people here don't care. To them, pinball dies with them and their games can go to a landfill after for all they care.

And considering we seem to share many of the same connections you should try to build bridges not burn them on first sight

#86 6 years ago

Much like my SOS thread, I imagine all this bumping is helping get this guide to everybody who needs it which is a nice little silver lining.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Much like my SOS thread, I imagine all this bumping is helping get this guide to everybody who needs it which is a nice little silver lining.

This is exactly this reason I didnt donate a cent. Your just a leach, your "guide" is a self centered rip-off and hey, look at poor me... Just to buy more games. Funny how peoples opinions have changed, don't you think??

Cant wait to see all your supporters come forward now.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Many of the people here don't care. To them, pinball dies with them and their games can go to a landfill after for all they care.

I'm glad your think highly of your elders and the nice people in this hobby. Glad there is nothing left for you to learn about pinball from them. You show real compassion.

Honestly, I really don't care about you. I think how you scammed people into giving you money is a shame and quite frankly ruthless. You should be ashamed of yourself because your actions are leaning towards dishonest and criminal.

So when you bring a machine to York this year are you going to then pay for all the fee's of the Pinsiders who donated you money?

#89 6 years ago

Oh... so this is gonna be one of those drama threads then?

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

I'm glad your think highly of your elders and the nice people in this hobby. Glad there is nothing left for you to learn about pinball from them. You show real compassion.
    Honestly, I really don't care about you. I think how you scammed people into giving you money is a shame and quite frankly ruthless. You should be ashamed of yourself because your actions are leaning towards dishonest and criminal.
    So when you bring a machine to York this year are you going to then pay for all the fee's of the Pinsiders who donated you money?

Of coarse not! I got hammered for calling him out, then he did exactly what I said he would. Step up donators, I really want to hear this now....

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Oh... so this is gonna be one of those drama threads then?

You weren't missing anything if you actually read his self named "Ultimate Guide"

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

Nope because I paid for all of my collection fair and square

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

You weren't missing anything if you actually read his self named "Ultimate Guide"

Newbies gonna hate, let's not forget a few months ago you were asking me for help on why your $1500 Jack In the Box wasn't selling lol

We all have stupid questions when we're new and I'm not judging you but it's ironic

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Of coarse not! I got hammered for calling him out, then he did exactly what I said he would. Step up donators, I really want to hear this now....

Quit lying. No donations went towards any game purchases nor did they benefit them/speed up the ability to buy them.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Nope because I paid for all of my collection fair and square

You really need help....

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

You really need help....

You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink. Not sure what else you want me to say. This is just turning into a joke

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Quit lying. No donations went towards any game purchases nor did they benefit them/speed up the ability to buy them.

Lol, in your messed up world. Keep going, your on a roll.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Newbies gonna hate, let's not forget a few months ago you were asking me for help on why your $1500 Jack In the Box wasn't selling lol

Sold that actually. And once again I knew who you were and was trying to gauge your opinion. You forget that I was working on pinball machines when you were 8 and have been around them and playing for years and know the market. I'm no expert and I don't claim to be.

I'm just pointing out that you are a dishonest person and stole money from innocent people who tried to help you.

So you can name call and say I'm a newbie. I really don't care what you say or think. I know what kind of person you are and I feel sad for you.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink. Not sure what else you want me to say. This is just turning into a joke

You can also cry wolf only once before people call you out. Your the joke.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

You can also cry wolf only once before people call you out. Your the joke.

I'm glad that others are realizing how awful and act this was. I don't know how he can show his face at pinball shows and talk with people he ripped off and stole money from.

There are 178 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/otakus-ultimate-electro-mechanical-guide-em-theory-of-operation/page/2?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.