6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by taylor34
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I wasn't sure what subforum to put this in, so I picked Tech generic hoping someone in here might know. Basically, I've got a board with a bunch of parts (processor, couple of other chips, all surface mount) that I'm trying to figure out how to get assembled without having to do them all by hand. Are there shops online that do this kind of work, and are there ones people would recommend? I'd like to farm it out but also didn't want to become one of these things where 1/2 the boards don't work when you get them back and/or the cost is ridiculous. The board is like 2" x 3", so not very large. Thanks

#2 6 years ago

You'll pay **a fortune** for having it professionally done.
    Nebraska --> in Omaha, there is Tech Support Inc (TSI) just north of Q Street on John Galt Blvd. Used to be Radio Engineering (REI) on L street but not sure if they're around anylonger.
    TSI assembles lots of boards for us, their quality has been outstanding. For small quantity pricing, we're paying ~$50 per board.
    REI cost less but we had lots of quality issues with them. That was a long, long time ago.
    Don't forget there are also one-time setup fees or Non-recurring Engineering (NRE). That can set you back several hundred $.

#3 6 years ago

For SMT gear I would use a board place that offers a steel stencil. You use that to squeegee solder paste down then you can bake the board or heat gun it. Still have to pick and place all the parts.

I am looking for a place in China to stuff all the resistors, caps, diodes, IC sockets, etc. in my boards. Then i would just place the chips. No real luck so far, I have not put a ton of effort into it yet. I am hand assembling all my boards myself still. Something the size of the Bally MPU takes about 1.5 hours each with through hole parts.

#4 6 years ago

How many boards are you looking to have done?

#5 6 years ago

Check out macrofab.com.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Something the size of the Bally MPU takes about 1.5 hours each with through hole parts.

That's impressive. I'd have ball-parked a few hours on those. You're moving pretty quick! I'd imagine soldering one type of component at a time across 5-10x boards is the better way to make speed.

Been looking for assembly options myself. It's going to take time to work that out, but you realize after a bit that doing everything yourself is going to be impossible at some point. Looks like it's going to take volume to get the price where it needs to be. Not something that makes sense with a low-volume type of product like diagnostic tools.. but makes more sense with MPU boards or similar repro boards that are needed.

#7 6 years ago

I've had a good experience with PCBCart.com. If you have gerbers and a BOM, they'll get you a quote in a day or two.

#8 6 years ago

Can do a half way decent job yourself with a toaster oven, solder paste, and a stencil (oshstencil.com)

#9 6 years ago

A lot of suggestions here.

I can add my own, but I'm in my phone for the whole weekend. I'm having a professional place to my Meteor boards, and have used Macrofab for smaller, single runs.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

How many boards are you looking to have done?

Basically, I'd be looking to do runs of 10 to 25 every year or so. It's one of these expensive products with low demand but high price (the BOM is probably $200 by itself when you add in the blank PCB). I just don't have the skill to do it myself and friends that do have the skill don't have the time to do that many boards.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-where-to-get-pcbs-assembled and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.