(Topic ID: 30413)

OT: There is more to life than Pinball. I need your help! FREE PINBALL MACHINE!

By the96stang

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by examiner
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider examiner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 11 years ago

My son has chronic Mylogenous leukemia, so I'm already on the list. I'd also encourage everybody to sign up. If you can't help Stang's friend, there are plenty others that may benefit from your generosity. Keep the faith Stang.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

I myself, with no Insurance and a BIG mortgage payment can't personally afford the time off from work to participate. But hopefully someone here will be able to help.
    Randy

I can guaranty anybody worried about these things (and they are reasonable concerns) - this IS NOT an issue. There are various organizations out there (Such as the leukemia and lymphoma society) that will ensure you won't suffer financially as a result of a donation.

Signing up doesn't commit you to anything. See if you can match somebody then make an informed decision. If its not for you at that particular time of your life everybody will respect that decision.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

I took a quick look but didnt sign up yet. How do they know if you are a match? I assume you have to go somewhere and get tests etc???

They will send a test kit to your home. Swab your cheek yourself and send it in. If you are a potential match, you may hear something someday. Unfortunately, it is a minuscule % of potential donors who will ever be a close enough match to be considered as a donor. It's a numbers game for those awaiting a transplant. The more people that sign up, the better the chance.

In pinball terms, you are more likely to find that $50 MM at your next door neighbors garage sale than you are to be asked to be a donor. But you never know if you don't sign up.

Off my soapbox, thanks to everybody.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I thought the places that set up these donor programs usually made it a point to NOT offer compensation for the donation...

I didn't say you were going to make $ by doing this. I said there are organizations that will make sure it doesn't create a financial hardship on you if you do decide to become a donor. Health insurance, for instance, is a non-issue. The recipients insurance will pay 100% of your medical costs. If neither party has insurance, the transplant center will usually find a way to absorb all the bills.

Reality is, "bone marrow" transplants are becoming increasingly rare. If marrow does need to be harvested from a donor, you are looking at a 24-48 hour hospital stay. Many blood cancers can be treated with peripheral stem cell transplants. If that's the case, the donor takes a day off work, gets hooked up to a machine not unlike donating blood, and the stem cells are harvested out of your blood for transplant. A simple 4 hour outpatient procedure.

Point being, financial hardship as a result of being a donor is pretty much a non-factor.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Isn't donating marrow an extremely painful lengthy process? I'm asking, not telling. I'd chop my fucking leg off with a steak knife and dig that shit out myself for any of my family or very small circle of friends, but I'm not doing that for a dude I don't know no matter what school or sport he plays. What'll save this guy's life isn't crossing the street and buying an asprin, it's getting your bones cracked open and scooped out.
    Because I have two young sons that are my primary responsibility there's no way in hell I could take that risk or time off

So much misinformation in this post, sigh.....please don't let comments like this dissuade you from learning the facts and considering signing up.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Yeah, that's why I said I was asking, not posting "information."
    Cheers dude.

If you would have stopped after the first sentence, sure.

I apologize if I came across as a pr#ck, that was not my intent. As I said earlier, my teenage son has leukemia. He will never be cured absent the kindness of a complete stranger like the people on this thread. His disease makes me rather passionate about this issue. Again, I am sorry if I offended you and I would like to keep this thread moving in a positive direction.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider examiner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-there-is-more-to-life-than-pinball-i-need-your-help-free-pinball-machine?tu=examiner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.