(Topic ID: 30413)

OT: There is more to life than Pinball. I need your help! FREE PINBALL MACHINE!

By the96stang

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by examiner
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/video/#!/news/sports/The-Fight-for-His-Life/179376331

I am a student athlete at Eastern Connecticut State University and a fellow athlete here is looking for a bone marrow donor. He has no siblings, and his parents are not a match. I ask all you flippers to just sign up. Who knows, you could change a life.

http://marrow.org/Join/Join_the_Registry.aspx

Here is MY promise. Should anyone here match Jon I will GIVE that person my Judge Dredd Pinball machine. 100% free (shipping is on you!).

#2 11 years ago

Classy move!

#3 11 years ago

Moved to all pinball since you are offering to give up your pin to help the cause.

#4 11 years ago

I am a marrow recipient (ewings sarcoma at 12 years old - 18 years free now) so I certainly understand the criticality of this need and I wish I could donate .

I believe this is a heartfelt gesture and I applaud you but the heart of a volunteer shouldn't require payment. If anyone actually had the stones to take your machine in exchange for donating, my own personal needs aside, I would buy you another one. It would be shameful for someone to take you up on that offer with a life depending on it.

You are a great person!

#5 11 years ago

You should be proud of yourself. You must have a heart of gold in a often selfish world!

#6 11 years ago

im pulling for you...hope this works out!!

#7 11 years ago

Wow, altruism lives on in the Stang! Best of luck for Jon.

#8 11 years ago

What you're doing is absolutely positively one of the nicest things I've seen here on Pinside.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I believe this is a heartfelt gesture and I applaud you but the heart of a volunteer shouldn't require payment. If anyone actually had the stones to take your machine in exchange for donating, my own personal needs aside, I would buy you another one. It would be shameful for someone to take you up on that offer with a life depending on it.

I'm not sure that someone should be discouraged from following through if they want to, regardless of motive. But that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

If it saves the guy's life, and Stang wants to be a part of making that happen, I don't see an issue.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/video/#!/news/sports/The-Fight-for-His-Life/179376331
    I am a student athlete at Eastern Connecticut State University and a fellow athlete here is looking for a bone marrow donor. He has no siblings, and his parents are not a match. I ask all you flippers to just sign up. Who knows, you could change a life.
    http://marrow.org/Join/Join_the_Registry.aspx
    Here is MY promise. Should anyone here match Jon I will GIVE that person my Judge Dredd Pinball machine. 100% free (shipping is on you!).

It's not much but I would like to sweeten the deal. To the donor that might receive the Judge Dread machine I will purchase and ship a full LED kit, rubber set and balls.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I am a marrow recipient (ewings sarcoma at 12 years old - 18 years free now) so I certainly understand the criticality of this need and I wish I could donate .

Quoted from Frax:

I'm not sure that someone should be discouraged from following through if they want to, regardless of motive. But that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

If it saves the guy's life, and Stang wants to be a part of making that happen, I don't see an issue.

I agree with Frax...I'd like to follow Underspin's lead and offer $100 toward shipping...And to the96stang, everyone can only wish to have a friend like you!

#12 11 years ago

I'm not saying he shouldn't follow through what I am saying is anyone who would trade a pinball machine for someone's life is a POS and if someone actually took stangs machine in exchange for a donation I would help replace it.

#13 11 years ago

JD is not in exchange for his life. Id like to think people would do it on their own. I just want to light a fire under people and encourage them to just look into it. If JD is what does it, then by all means, they can have it.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

JD is not in exchange for his life. Id like to think people would do it on their own. I just want to light a fire under people and encourage them to just look into it. If JD is what does it, then by all means, they can have it.

You are awesome.

#15 11 years ago

Actually I think the pin is a great offer. Donating marrow is a painful procedure and requires time off from work. Not that someone needs a reward to help another person, but it does make for a nice compensation for the pain and lost work for someone.

I myself, with no Insurance and a BIG mortgage payment can't personally afford the time off from work to participate. But hopefully someone here will be able to help.
    Randy

#16 11 years ago

I think the gesture is a great way to grab attention, I wish you all the luck in finding that person, your a great friend and wish your friend all the best with his health

#18 11 years ago

I went to the sight but I am too old! I didnt think age would make a difference but I guess it does.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Old_Hutch:

I agree with Frax...I'd like to follow Underspin's lead and offer $100 toward shipping...And to the96stang, everyone can only wish to have a friend like you!

I'll also contribute $100 towards shipping.

Marcus

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from bjoechamp:

You must have a heart of gold in a often selfish world!

Or you really hate repairing all the ongoing JD issues

TOTALLY kidding of course. Great move. And I agree I don't think anyone should be discouraging acceptance of the machine though. That kind of backfires the ops intent by this.

#21 11 years ago

Im also too old.....sorry

#22 11 years ago

Wow, I had no idea that donors had to be so young. I am out as well. I would guess/hope that siblings could still be selected when they are a match in certain circumstances regardless of age. The reason I bring this up is that my brother recently went through radiation treatment and sometimes that leads to bone marrow syndromes such as myelodysplasia (network news person Robin Roberts has this). I would hope that I would be a viable option for my brother if he were unfortunate enough to have such a complication.

#23 11 years ago

I am also too old.... Good luck

#24 11 years ago

Yeah the age factor has ousted me as well. Sorry Stang, I know with friends like yourself, that your friends match will come thru.

#25 11 years ago

I took a quick look but didnt sign up yet. How do they know if you are a match? I assume you have to go somewhere and get tests etc???

#26 11 years ago

My son has chronic Mylogenous leukemia, so I'm already on the list. I'd also encourage everybody to sign up. If you can't help Stang's friend, there are plenty others that may benefit from your generosity. Keep the faith Stang.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

I myself, with no Insurance and a BIG mortgage payment can't personally afford the time off from work to participate. But hopefully someone here will be able to help.
    Randy

I can guaranty anybody worried about these things (and they are reasonable concerns) - this IS NOT an issue. There are various organizations out there (Such as the leukemia and lymphoma society) that will ensure you won't suffer financially as a result of a donation.

Signing up doesn't commit you to anything. See if you can match somebody then make an informed decision. If its not for you at that particular time of your life everybody will respect that decision.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

I took a quick look but didnt sign up yet. How do they know if you are a match? I assume you have to go somewhere and get tests etc???

They will send a test kit to your home. Swab your cheek yourself and send it in. If you are a potential match, you may hear something someday. Unfortunately, it is a minuscule % of potential donors who will ever be a close enough match to be considered as a donor. It's a numbers game for those awaiting a transplant. The more people that sign up, the better the chance.

In pinball terms, you are more likely to find that $50 MM at your next door neighbors garage sale than you are to be asked to be a donor. But you never know if you don't sign up.

Off my soapbox, thanks to everybody.

#29 11 years ago

Sorry the96stang, I'm too old as well...thus the name...but my $100 offer toward shipping still stands, and it was matched by Xerico. Two more pinsiders could match that and the Judge Dredd would be totally free for that person that is the right age and is a match. Let's keep bumping this up and who knows, something great could happen!

#30 11 years ago

Thats nice of you .I have been sick all summer and on meds not a good feeling at all.

#31 11 years ago

Just signed up. Took me a while. Hopefully once I get my kit I will match some one out there. Thanks for bringing this too light. I donate blood on a regular schedule(as often as they allow). Never really knew about registering for this. Always jut thought they Just tested family when some one needed it.

Very generous of you too Stang. Hope your classmate comes through.

#32 11 years ago

I have filled out the info and have been accepted as age appropriate. I understand the need as my mother is in need of a kidney transplant and has to go through dialysis 3 times a week. Its hard to see someone go through that both young or old. I wish you and your friend the best.
    Kevin

#33 11 years ago

I'm going to copy old hutch and Marcus and will pledge another $100 to the shipping. This brings the total to $300 of the shipping fees being paid.

OP, everyone should have a friend like you. All class. Good luck.

#35 11 years ago

I tried but Sleep Apnea disqualified me. It is not easy to qualify to even register!

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from terrable:

Thats nice of you .I have been sick all summer and on meds not a good feeling at all.

Sorry to hear that, wondered where you had been.

The96stang, I wish your buddy the best. My oldest sister had leukemia about 17 years ago. There are 5 kids in our family, and none of us were a match. She got a bone marrow transplant from a donor in Dallas. She's alive and well today because of it. That's cool that they can do a cheek swab now to check for a match, back then it was a blood test.

Quoted from absocountry2:

I tried but Sleep Apnea disqualified me. It is not easy to qualify to even register!

That sucks to hear. I too have sleep apnea, just got done with a sleep study last night.

#37 11 years ago

Have always thought about signing up but never have. You have pushed me over the edge and I have signed up. Best of luck with your friend.

#38 11 years ago

Way too old, but good luck!

#39 11 years ago

I signed up, kit is on its way.

#40 11 years ago

Just learned that mild asthma disqualifies me because it is allergy triggered and I use a daily treatment. I called to confirm this because there are no pills involved.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from examiner:

There are various organizations out there (Such as the leukemia and lymphoma society) that will ensure you won't suffer financially as a result of a donation.

I thought the places that set up these donor programs usually made it a point to NOT offer compensation for the donation...

Why the hell would sleep apnea D/Q for marrow donation!?!

#42 11 years ago

Im too old as well...but I would like to offer $100 if it helps.

#43 11 years ago

I was looking at requirements. I have to lose 3 pounds to register.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Why the hell would sleep apnea D/Q for marrow donation!?!

no kidding--you gotta be in perfect health to sign up for this. that's not even a health issue imo; but I'm not a doctor.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I'm not saying he shouldn't follow through what I am saying is anyone who would trade a pinball machine for someone's life is a POS and if someone actually took stangs machine in exchange for a donation I would help replace it.

I understand what you're saying, for sure. However, maybe this would be an "I insist" situation on the part of Stang. Maybe a donor is found and they say "Thanks, but no thanks" to the machine. Stang says, "I really appreciate that, but I insist that you take the machine. If I could have donated, I would have, but I couldn't. So, my Judge Dredd is my sacrifice."

That would be satisfactory, wouldn't it.

Semantics aside, I hope for the best.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from flipperfingers:

I understand what you're saying, for sure. However, maybe this would be an "I insist" situation on the part of Stang. Maybe a donor is found and they say "Thanks, but no thanks" to the machine. Stang says, "I really appreciate that, but I insist that you take the machine. If I could have donated, I would have, but I couldn't. So, my Judge Dredd is my sacrifice."

I could not have said it better. I would insist.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I thought the places that set up these donor programs usually made it a point to NOT offer compensation for the donation...

I didn't say you were going to make $ by doing this. I said there are organizations that will make sure it doesn't create a financial hardship on you if you do decide to become a donor. Health insurance, for instance, is a non-issue. The recipients insurance will pay 100% of your medical costs. If neither party has insurance, the transplant center will usually find a way to absorb all the bills.

Reality is, "bone marrow" transplants are becoming increasingly rare. If marrow does need to be harvested from a donor, you are looking at a 24-48 hour hospital stay. Many blood cancers can be treated with peripheral stem cell transplants. If that's the case, the donor takes a day off work, gets hooked up to a machine not unlike donating blood, and the stem cells are harvested out of your blood for transplant. A simple 4 hour outpatient procedure.

Point being, financial hardship as a result of being a donor is pretty much a non-factor.

#48 11 years ago

Outstanding pinside member!!!

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

So the96stang, it looks like you could edit your original post to include a full led set, rubber set, and balls plus $400 toward shipping which should make it darn near free for anyone in the US and pretty cheap for anyone in other countries. I can't speak for the other folks that offered, but personally I don't care if the donor is a pinsider or not, I'll contribute toward the shipping no matter who the donor is.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from flipperfingers:

That would be satisfactory, wouldn't it.
    Semantics aside, I hope for the best.

That's how I read Stang's offer as well. Turns out I'm not in good enough health to donate but would have had no problem at all taking the machine off his hands (if he insisted). I would have enjoyed it for a few months, sold it and donated 100% of the proceeds to the Make a Wish Foundation. Paying it forward feels GREAT...and Stang knows it. I hope a donor is found soon...

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-there-is-more-to-life-than-pinball-i-need-your-help-free-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.