Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Delta9
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

143 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7104 (resized).PNG
    #1 7 years ago

There has to be IP camera experts here...any help will be greatly appreciated, reply to post or send me a PM.

I need to install a security system at a church primarily for preschool security. Initially need 3 cameras in hallway and foyer locations. Footage needed if something happens to child, here are specifics:
    - Ability to store 4 hours of video to view up to 12 hours later
    - Store video on camera (SD Card), no NVR needed (this is not firm)
    - Wireless to get real time access from cell or etc, wifi available
    - Zoom in to recognize face (this is firm requirement)
    - Budget is not much, cheaper better, even if I buy used
    - I can provide power at camera

I purchased one to try based on recommendations online. Meets all the above except the zoom in to see face feature.
    Thanks, Big Bob

#2 7 years ago

I use allnet program. I use CMS mobile app on I phone. I have 4 IP cameras. I hooked to a computer and stores at lease 45 days. I bought it all from platinum CCTV online. If you buy from
    Them, after it is all hooked up they will connect remotely to your computer and set it up. It was easy. I just ran cat5 lines from camera to poe switch.

#3 7 years ago

Pic

IMG_7104 (resized).PNGIMG_7104 (resized).PNG

#5 7 years ago

I work in the field

A legit 4 camera w/NVR installed & power supply cabinet with battery backup for all equipment is apx $2500

That's without PTZ camera's. If you want to pan, tilt & zoom then plan to spend more.

NVR is a must IMO

Motion & cloud based cameras are no good. Intruders cut telco/data before invasions. A room of moving kids will trigger motion clips but the motion detection isnt perfect & sometimes it requires recovery time meaning blocks minutes+ of no recording quite possibly when SHTF

This meme best summarizes CCTV for most consumers. It's harsh but true. Legit coverage requires budget to take a backseat. If not then all you can really do is put your money on the counter & say "what does this buy" & thats all ya get.

143 (resized).jpeg143 (resized).jpeg

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies, good info I definitely need to consider.

I was hoping to get a ceiling mounted camera system under $500, not looking good.
    Remember, it will only be used if a stranger abducts a child. Therefore the limited storage need, we are not concerned with theft.

Happy Thanksgiving, Bob

#7 7 years ago

I concur - a camera system that meets your requirements will be well beyond $500. A system of prevention would be better spent money IMHO. Our church has a check in system where each child/parent gets a label with a random code. At pickup, the parents code must match. Adults and children are isolated between drop off and pickup.

A post abduction ID is too late. . .

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I work in the field
    A legit 4 camera w/NVR installed & power supply cabinet with battery backup for all equipment is apx $2500
    That's without PTZ camera's. If you want to pan, tilt & zoom then plan to spend more.
    NVR is a must IMO
    Motion & cloud based cameras are no good. Intruders cut telco/data before invasions. A room of moving kids will trigger motion clips but the motion detection isnt perfect & sometimes it requires recovery time meaning blocks minutes+ of no recording quite possibly when SHTF
    This meme best summarizes CCTV for most consumers. It's harsh but true. Legit coverage requires budget to take a backseat. If not then all you can really do is put your money on the counter & say "what does this buy" & thats all ya get.

Thanks, always good to hear from someone in the field. I have a cheapo consumer setup going which is just OK and have been reading and reading all sorts of information. What I have found is that the cheap cameras are fine for getting an idea of what is going on, or has gone on. The two things that kill it though are good facial recognition and license plate identification. If you want either or both of those then you gotta put out some dough. And of course getting good video at night is another one that takes extra.

I think the consumer stuff like wireless/cloud-based is ok for general monitoring of the typical low lifes who are up to no good. They most likely are all about quick in and out, smash and grab, etc. They won't bother with security cams or even think about them usually. The pros are a different level like you said. They will concentrate first on disabling security. That means you gotta hide everything including the DVR and have battery backup. All the more $$.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I work in the field
    NVR is a must IMO

yes mine was around $2500.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I work in the field
    NVR is a must IMO

Can you give any recommendations for camera brands for a DIYer? There are so many different ones I am frozen trying to decide which to get. Most if not all of it is out of China I believe. Hikvision seems pretty popular, no idea if that is any good. I also am looking at Ubiquity.

#11 7 years ago

I'm in the networking business. I installed an 8 camera system this summer for monitoring my elderly parents and health care workers. I used the Ubiquiti G3 (3rd generation) gear. It does 1080p full HD video. The cameras are about $150 each, the NVR was about $325, and I used their 8 port poe switch for about $200.

It met my expectations and continues to perform well. I don't know of anything close for the price.

I liked it enough to later install a 16 camera equivalent at work.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Can you give any recommendations for camera brands for a DIYer? There are so many different ones I am frozen trying to decide which to get. Most if not all of it is out of China I believe. Hikvision seems pretty popular, no idea if that is any good. I also am looking at Ubiquity.

Pelco or Bosch are usually safe

#13 7 years ago

Check out Costco, and they run $100 off sales. 4 Camera, plus buying another for zoom, Likely all together
    would be around $400-$600 diced a few different ways.

May or may not be what you need in completeness, but was a good buy, and then add cloud backup.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-surveillance-camera-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.