Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by WIZ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

SO.. I just today had a case opened against me! Now get this, the seller has NOT even received the item, he emails me BEFORE the auction and asks one question, what is the size of this print, I respond 21x26.. he then buys it.. I ship it the next day (Mon), I get a question from him today asking if this is a HARD print or paper.. I respond saying it was shipped in a shipping tube, and it is a paper print as described... he claims I never stated in my listing it was a paper print, or that it would be shipped in a tube.. and before I can even respond, he opens a case against me..

ebay.com link: itm

Now clearly this is buyers remorse, and before I even got to the email from Ebay telling me a case was opened, I told him to just not open it, put a new label on it, and send it back to me, and I will refund him the purchase price, just not the shipping as I paid for the tube and the cost to send it to FL.. he also claims he would have NEVER paid that shipping price had he known.. Please notice the shipping price was 5.00

I am done as well with selling on Ebay, final straw for me, not only that but Paypal has now frozen my account because he opened this case that did not need to be opened..

#2 9 years ago

Sorry to hear.

It happens all the time....

People dont read, buyers remorse, anything and everything.....click a button get something free.

I even had one state, " is the negative feedback worth the $5.00 I want back?..."
    (I had an Ebay supervisor send him an email that threats of negative feedback are against policy)

I have usually come out OK, but as Ebay hears the public, and they only hear the complaints,
    They have hammered sellers, who either absorb this or leave....

Very Sad...but as I see it consumers rule today, and want everything fast, perfect, and the lowest price on the planet, and the best quality!

Almost impossible to sell things with many in competition, and actually make any money.

#3 9 years ago

Yep, so now he has his 200 bucks back, and I have to prey I get the print back from him...

I am pulling the rest of my auctions down, doubt it will do any good, but going to contact them and let them know they just lost a person with an account since 1997, who has generated thousands and thousands of dollars for them over the years..

Sad it has come to this..

What the hell is a HARD PRINT anyway?

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

What the hell is a HARD PRINT anyway?

Not a clue. I tried searching and the term didn't come up in either common parlance or associated with art. What the heck was this guy looking for?

Sucks that this happened, and with fleabay's policies slanted with the buyer, it seems to happen all the time

I'd certainly give fleabay an earful about this.

#5 9 years ago

I did describe it in the title and the description as a print.. I still cannot make out what this guy is talking about in his emails...

The funny part if you want to call it that, is that he filed an item is not as described case BEFORE it was even delivered!!!!

Glad to see I am not nuts, and have no idea what a hard print is.. My whole life a print is printed on paper, and when shipped it is rolled up with paper on both sides to protect it in a hard tube..

#6 9 years ago

Yep, when I think prints, I think paper, though the weight and quality of the paper can vary depending upon if you pick up a $5 poster at walmart or a nice print in an art shop. It's still paper. Unless he was hoping for a glossy 8x10 or something?

I would think fleabay would have an issue with seeing a case opened before delivery was made, and it should've been ruled in your favor. I'd get on the horn with them and point that out.

#7 9 years ago

I think I found a way for me to win after all, it is going to cost me 27 bucks, but since he got his money back, and I have to trust that he will actually send it back, I did a little google search and discovered this little bit of information

Package Intercept Request

I had never heard of this, sometimes Google REALLY is your friend!

I was able to process this since the item was not yet delivered, basically it stops the delivery before it happens, and redirects the package back to me! I put in the tracking number and it stated that it IS eligible for this service, so I had to get an account with the post office, provide the details where it was going, pay 27 bucks, but it will stop the delivery and get it sent back to me! Would rather pay 27 bucks and get my very expensive print back, than risk this wonderful buyer either keeping it or damaging it before sending it back to me..

I so hope this works!

#8 9 years ago

Worked for my friends wife who got scammed into mailing an xbox to Africa.
    (No joke) She believed that Kyle CONner (name they actually used) was sending an Xbox to his son in law Miliqu Noriboo (I'm sure I butchered the spelling) in South Africa.
    End of the day see got her Xbox back.

#10 9 years ago

Sorry to hear that.

eBay and PayPal are really the worst. There's so many ways to screw the seller, and there's almost nothing you can do to protect yourself. I've been fortunate enough to not deal with this sort of crap before, but I refuse to sell any big ticket items on eBay because of this.

#11 9 years ago

Well, hopefully this USPS service will bring back the package, and I will only be out 60 bucks in Shipping and Ebay fees.. could have been a lot worse if I lost the print as well.

#12 9 years ago

Sorry to hear that, but not surprised. After reading about all the changes on ebay/paypal here and elsewhere yesterday I'm pulling back and reconsidering what I'll be selling on there. The package intercept is a very interesting twist and I hope it works.

#13 9 years ago

To the OP: nothing new here, besides it happened to you.

The facts are the facts and they have been the facts for years: Ebay sucks, PP sucks, they act as biased judge, biased jury, and executioner. They do not care about sellers, at all. They make conscious business decisions to fire good customers like you (and me), who have been lining their pockets for 17 years, with thousands of transactions, and perfect feedback. Their "logic" in doing so would make a six year old proud, as in your case. A buyer can leave you bad feedback, but you can't make a peep about a buyer. When your money is gone, it's gone, and PP will never give it back. They see sellers as lying vultures, and buyers as innocent victims.

And the new Ebay policies make it worse. Your guy would have 90 days to return that print, and you have to refund ALL his money, including shipping, and you pay for the return shipping.

BUT>>>having said all that, you still have 12 items listed for sale on Ebay.

And that's the problem. So long as sellers keep coming back for more, it will never get better.

#14 9 years ago

I did not know it existed, just decided to dig and see if there was anything I could do, and came across that service.. if it works and I think it should, it will be fantastic.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

BUT>>>having said all that, you still have 12 items listed for sale on Ebay.
    And that's the problem. So long as sellers keep coming back for more, it will never get better.

Those will be down in the few min, I was just too tired to pull them last night.

#16 9 years ago

I used to sell all the time, but with all the fees, and rules that were put in place by them they now favor the scammers and idiots that don't know what they are buying, I only buy things on ebay now.

#17 9 years ago

Just pulled them all, thanks for the reminder. That will be my last sale on that site, and I will be contacting them and letting them know why.

#18 9 years ago

even though the odds are stacked against sellers on ebay (I've gone through what you're going through more than once), here's some food for thought.

ebay/paypal puts a hold on the funds from the original transaction (ending auction price plus shipping), however if the buyer does not return the item to you in a stated number of days (they have to send it back with tracking information), ebay/paypal will find in your favor.

if they send back the item and it's damaged, you can provide information (along with photos), which basically opens a case against them which usually will result in your favor.

this will save you the $27 to intercept the parcel

#19 9 years ago

I

Quoted from j_m_:if they send back the item and it's damaged, you can provide information (along with photos), which basically opens a case against them which usually will result in your favor.

Too much of a risk, if the buyer opens it and damages it, then says it arrived that way, and he provides pictures, I can bet I would lose.. Would rather spend the 27 bucks and get the print back safely and find another way to sell it..

I am very familiar with Ebay, but they have gone out of there way to back buyers and their decisions have done nothing but hurt the seller in the process..

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Too much of a risk, if the buyer opens it and damages it, then says it arrived that way, and he provides pictures, I can bet I would lose.. Would rather spend the 27 bucks and get the print back safely and find another way to sell it..

Or, if he swaps it with another item, damaged item, or just sends back and empty package...

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Or, if he swaps it with another item, damaged item, or just sends back and empty package...

I tend to record the opening of returned items for just this reason. it protects me

#22 9 years ago

To the OP, I, like you had been a seller on ebay since the very early days...sold everything from 16mm film prints to arcade items to classic Mustang parts. When I dumped them, I had WELL over 15000 transactions and multiple accounts. The early days (1995-2005) were great-it was so fun buying, selling and making new contacts. Sure, there were some glitches here & there but nothing that could not be worked out within a few emails. NEVER got stung.
    Then ebay decided to get greedy. Very greedy. My seller's fee's skyrocketed and continued even more so as time went on. One day, I just up & quit. The best part is I've been able to keep my contacts and I sell directly to them now.
    Ebay will get what they deserve-it'll take some time, but it will happen.

#23 9 years ago

Well that usps service did not work, they still went ahead and delivered it today.. Now all I can hope is this person has some honor! Why did the post office offer an option that does not work? I even checked into the details and the package was eligible

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Well that usps service did not work, they still went ahead and delivered it today.. Now all I can hope is this person has some honor! Why did the post office offer an option that does not work? I even checked into the details and the package was eligible

Did they accept payment for the service?

#25 9 years ago

I stopped selling on eBay at least five years ago, what a shit business. Held my money from multiple sales because the buyers never left me feedback. Five buyers at a total of 850.00. I had to contact each buyer and ask them to please leave positive feedback they received the item and were satisfied. That took two weeks, then I waited another week and still my money was frozen.i called paypal again and asked the agent why? He told me he would look into it, three days later my money was freed.
    NEVER AGAIN, not that it matters to them. They will make money without you or me or anybody else thar doesn't want to use eBay.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Did they accept payment for the service?

Still checking account to see if it was charged, I cannot believe I went though that who thing, setting up an account, putting in all the info, for them to just still deliver it anyway!

#27 9 years ago

Well, now *possibly* the onus will be on USPS if they did indeed deliver it and the deal goes sour... you paid for a service that they accepted your money for...they didn't follow up so you should be ok..hopefully. Please let us know how you make out & best of luck on this!

#28 9 years ago

Paypal + eBay = a match made in hell for sellers. I sold on eBay for years and for the most part it was a fun hobby. After eBay bought Paypal, it was an option to use for payment. Then they made Paypal mandatory. I was ok with the listing & final value fees but then a Paypal transactional fee
    . . . . well that's triple dipping into my funds. eBay also bends over backward to kiss the ass of the buyer's at the seller's expense even when it runs against eBay's rules. Another eBay scam was their safe harbor program . . . . pay a few bucks and have your negative feedback removed . . . what a concept, wash away all your eBay feedback sins and another revenue source. This opened the floodgates for scammers. Glad to be gone from eBay and NEVER had to use Paypal .

#29 9 years ago

Ebay/Paypal froze the funds on the sale of a watch that I sold for FIVE DOLLARS. The claim was a "problem with the buyer's bank"

ME: "Well, that's not my problem it's your problem release the five dollars."

PAYPAL: "No."

ME: "The buyer received the item, is happy and left positive feedback release the five dollars"

PAYPAL: "No"

(I contacted the buyer who rolled her eyes. She got in on the fun)

BUYER: "$5 was verified moved from my bank to the seller. I received the item and am happy. Release the five dollars to the seller"

PAYPAL: "No"

BUYER: "You guys are a bunch of assholes"

ME: "You guys are a bunch of assholes"

PAYPAL: "Please don't use sharp language"

Summary: The money was never released. They basically stole it. Not basically they DID steal it. The buyer was so nice that in the mail two weeks later I got $5 in cash with a post it note that said "Paypal is run by a bunch of assholes "

#30 9 years ago

I got an email from the USPS saying they did not stop the shipment and did not charge me, the buyer has the print and says he loves it, and swears he will be sending me a check in the next few days.. and all I can do is hope he keeps his word...

Otherwise I am out a beautiful (and underpriced) 21x26 Autographed certified 100% Ted Williams print..

Hopefully, because I have always been honest and done the right thing, Karma will pay me back on this one..

#31 9 years ago

They have gotten so bad its a joke. I had a few cases against me years ago, but I provided tracking info that it was delivered. buyer had to provide tracking info he returned it and money was not released until then. You know, the sensible way. Now its so dumb

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

I got an email from the USPS saying they did not stop the shipment and did not charge me, the buyer has the print and says he loves it, and swears he will be sending me a check in the next few days.. and all I can do is hope he keeps his word...
    Otherwise I am out a beautiful (and underpriced) 21x26 Autographed certified 100% Ted Williams print..
    Hopefully, because I have always been honest and done the right thing, Karma will pay me back on this one..

Wait, so he originally paid in paypal and got a refund, and now that he has the print and your money he wants to pay you with a check instead?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but I don't think you are going to get your print or your money. Notify eBay immediately in the dispute that the buyer is keeping the item. Hopefully they will unfreeze your funds.

#33 9 years ago

I will be taking that action

1 week later
    #34 9 years ago

Any updates?

#35 9 years ago

Yes, after a lot of back and forth, it was a 69 year old confused man who did not know how to use Ebay, talked to him on the phone, and said he had no idea he had opened a case against me, he apologized over and over, and I finally got the check for the item!

So happy ending after all that!

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Yes, after a lot of back and forth, it was a 69 year old confused man who did not know how to use Ebay, talked to him on the phone, and said he had no idea he had opened a case against me, he apologized over and over, and I finally got the check for the item!

Oh, I LOVE a good happy ending!

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

Hehe...

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

We all do.. especially in this case!

#39 9 years ago

So - what is a hard print?

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I'd imagine something that is printed on plaster or some sort of un-rollable material.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

It sure as hell doesn't seem to be a term that a 69 y/o man would be using......

#42 9 years ago

I have had this same thing happen on several occasions. The buyer calls ebay about a question and ebay is just ALL to eager to file a dispute and the buyer doesn't even realize they are doing this.

Keep in mind with ebay and paypals business plan, every and anytime a dispute is open they start making money on your hijacked money. This then definitely gets the sellers attention (if even blindsided) and once you talk to the buyer, the seller can close the dispute and is always apologetic.

I have even been told once by a buyer that ebay wouldn't close the dispute so quickly and was told to wait a day or two.

Quoted from balboarules:

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Still don't know!!!

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from WIZ:

I have had this same thing happen on several occasions. The buyer calls ebay about a question and ebay is just ALL to eager to file a dispute and the buyer doesn't even realize they are doing this.
    Keep in mind with ebay and paypals business plan, every and anytime a dispute is open they start making money on your hijacked money. This then definitely gets the sellers attention (if even blindsided) and once you talk to the buyer, the seller can close the dispute and is always apologetic.
    I have even been told once by a buyer that ebay wouldn't close the dispute so quickly and was told to wait a day or two.

How is eBay making money on the dispute process? A few weeks worth of interest on the $100 (or whatever) that's at stake in the dispute? At today's interest rates there's no way that'd cover even the cost of employee time (minimal as it may be) in handling the dispute. I think eBay and PayPal are biased toward buyers because they're trying to make buyers feel safe using eBay, not because they're somehow profiting from disputed transactions.

#45 9 years ago

Try thousands (maybe millions) of dollars every evening just sitting in a huge collection of disputed accounts earning .001%. Just look at how many days they hold money on transfers and refunds, 3 days, when it only takes a 1 night update for the banks. They make interest on that money for 2 extra days, guaranteed!!

Sure they're are biased towards the buyers to give them that warm fuzzy feeling. That is the only reason they hijack the sellers money. And they know the MAJORITY of sellers will stay with them. Until the tide turns, then they will realize that the sellers are the ones that pay their paychecks!!

Quoted from fosaisu:

How is eBay making money on the dispute process? A few weeks worth of interest on the $100 (or whatever) that's at stake in the dispute? At today's interest rates there's no way that'd cover even the cost of employee time (minimal as it may be) in handling the dispute. I think eBay and PayPal are biased toward buyers because they're trying to make buyers feel safe using eBay, not because they're somehow profiting from disputed transactions.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from WIZ:

Try thousands (maybe millions) of dollars every evening just sitting in a huge collection of disputed accounts earning .001%. Just look at how many days they hold money on transfers and refunds, 3 days, when it only takes a 1 night update for the banks. They make interest on that money for 2 extra days, guaranteed!!
    Sure they're are biased towards the buyers to give them that warm fuzzy feeling. That is the only reason they hijack the sellers money. And they know the MAJORITY of sellers will stay with them. Until the tide turns, then they will realize that the sellers are the ones that pay their paychecks!!

I largely agree with your second paragraph (except for the part about the tide turning, that hasn't happened with credit cards and it's hard to see why it would with PayPal).

But back to your first paragraph. Yep, interest on many millions of dollars for even a few days could be substantial. But when you have hundreds of humans that draw pay checks working on the thousands of challenged transactions that it takes to create that pool of millions, there's no profit in it for Paypal. I cannot imagine that it doesn't end up costing them money.

#47 9 years ago

And I would agree with you if they didn't do disputes so arbitrarily and leave them open for so long. Their system is setup in a way to take as much time to resolve as possible.

They also do it without the buyer even knowing what they have done! I have had it happen to me many times now and the buyer can't apologize enough!!

Quoted from fosaisu:

I largely agree with your second paragraph (except for the part about the tide turning, that hasn't happened with credit cards and it's hard to see why it would with PayPal).
    But back to your first paragraph. Yep, interest on many millions of dollars for even a few days could be substantial. But when you have hundreds of humans that draw pay checks working on the thousands of challenged transactions that it takes to create that pool of millions, there's no profit in it for Paypal. I cannot imagine that it doesn't end up costing them money.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-speaking-of-all-the-ebay-talk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.