(Topic ID: 33613)

OT (sort of): Arcade game on the same circuit as pinball?

By gjbwalker

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

So, I just picked up my first arcade game (Donkey Kong) and wanted to know if I can put that on the same circuit as my pinball machines. I have a TZ, TAF and a TFTC on one and thought about putting the DK on that same circuit. Thoughts?

#2 11 years ago

Give it a shot - you won't hurt anything. Worst case, you trip a breaker and need to find a different solution...

#3 11 years ago

You didn't mention breaker size.

15A - no, you shouldn't.
    20A - will probably work if you don't turn them all on at once. Don't add anything else, though.

#4 11 years ago

Adding the dk won't rely draw much juice. The CRT is probably the biggest drain in that cabinet. You'll know if the Tz starts resetting. Try turning off other machines on the circuit if there are issues.

#5 11 years ago

The startup on the DK will be a 2-3A. Startup on those pins is 4A each. Get all three of those pins into a multiball at once and that's going to be 75% of your capacity. With DK running 1-1.5A it's over the reasonable limit for a 15A circuit and could trip the breaker. A 20A circuit could handle that but not much else. It's not a good idea to plan to use the whole capacity of a circuit just in case the breaker malfunctions.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

You didn't mention breaker size.

It's 15A.

Quoted from BigOrange:

Give it a shot - you won't hurt anything. Worst case, you trip a breaker and need to find a different solution...

I thought about that, but didn't know if I'd screw anything up.

I was thinking about if I had people over and had everything on, but I think I'll locate the DK on another circuit to be sure. Either that or have my electrician brother-in-law see if it's possible to put in a 20A breaker.

Plus I'm running out of room . . . time for a new house--that will solve everything!

#7 11 years ago

I forgot. Thanks to all for the replies.

#8 11 years ago

Im about to be in the same boat. SF2,MGOW,Waterworld,Super Orbit, and SF2 (Arcade) possibly on same circuit (15A). Need to look into it. Thanks for bringing this up!

#9 11 years ago

I have had five(maybe six) SS pins and a multicade on 20 amp with no problems.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from gjbwalker:

It's 15A.
    Either that or have my electrician brother-in-law see if it's possible to put in a 20A breaker.

You can't just replace the breaker. To do that you would have to verify that every fixture in parallel on that circuit is rated to 20A. If it's a 15A circuit then odds are the light switches and outlets are also 15A. It might also be 14ga wiring which would be appropriate for 15A but not 20A. These things need to be checked before increasing breaker size.

Quoted from barakandl:

I have had five(maybe six) SS pins and a multicade on 20 amp with no problems.

The games he mentioned are major power hogs among pins. Games with a ton of solenoids and multiballs are amp suckers.

#11 11 years ago

Thanks Chad. I would not mess with it myself because I realize there is more to it than my meager electrical knowledge comprehends. My brother-in-law is an electrician, so I would defer to him for any answers and, if possible, installation. I'm sure he'll repeat what you just said and I'll end up just putting it on another circuit.

#12 11 years ago

I plugged in all my games last night when I finally got everything where I wanted it. Turned on all the lights, signs, etc. Had my pins on one wall and my arcade across the basement on the other. No issues....but I wasnt playing all of them at once or anything they were just all running. I have my fingers crossed for my party this weekend, no way I can get anythign changed by then. If anything maybe Ill run an extension cord to the arcade machine.....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-sort-of-arcade-game-on-the-same-circuit-as-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.