(Topic ID: 86619)

Show us your M & EM Gun & Submarine Games!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,284 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JethroP
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3775 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3774 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3773 (resized).JPG
    coney island cam (resized).jpg
    20220620_194106 (resized).jpg
    20220620_194116 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1654014328988 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4577 no price (resized).JPG
    IMG_4615 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4614 (resized).jpg
    Game Room (resized).jpg
    2AC7671C-7966-4C97-A691-8018620E2D68 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1220 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1219 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1221 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#167 10 years ago

Is someone able to clarify pls on the EM gun games how technically does the gun trigger press convert to target hit & scoring. Just interested to know-thks. This is a great & interesting thread which makes you want to have one!!

#170 10 years ago
    Quoted from DallasPinball:

Wayner, here is a basic description on how EM gun games work.
    The way EM gun games know where you are aiming is actually pretty simple. When you move the rifle or gun the post it is mounted on swivels and translates the motion to a stylus that makes contact with a circuit board that has pads that are wired to the corresponding target. Each moving target has a wiper that moves across a circuit board that divides the horizontal area into about a dozen or so target zones. Pop up targets have a switch that opens and closes depending on if it is in position to be hit. When you pull the trigger you are basically trying to complete the circuit through all of the corresponding switches and wiper pads to register as a hit.
    Here are photos of the stylus board and the game opened up for service so you can get an idea on how it all fits together.

-- Shawn
    Thks so much Shawn-that's a terrific explanation.

IMG_9818.JPG 103 KB

IMG_9821.JPG 127 KB

5 months later
    #364 9 years ago
    Quoted from Heatherly:

Just added this one to my collection;
    » YouTube video

That looks like a great Grandma fortune teller machine you have there also-congrats.

4 weeks later
    #393 9 years ago

Now this is a machine I would like to own! My grandson is into excavators, graders, rollers and cranes and he would be mesmerised by this one as I would be.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281482336259?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

#396 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

That exact machine was listed fairly locally on Craigslist not long ago for $1000. I was thinking about it.

That would have been a great buy AlexF. Any idea the weight of this machine-shipping??? (I could not find a ref)

#399 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Not sure on that. Sometimes they list the weight on the flyer but I don't see anything on this one.
    Edit: This says approximately 200 lbs.
    http://www.uship.com/shipment/1956-williams-crane-game/509101839/
    I'm not sure how accurate that estimate is but seems about right.

Thks AlexF that's great info. I note Chicago Coin also produced an almost identical game called Steam Crane but it had 2 control levers rather than 4 buttons and it also had graduated skill accomplishment levels for the weight of the lentil beans deposited in the hopper. The machine in your link looks in pristine condition.

2 months later
    #466 9 years ago
    Quoted from Heatherly:

» YouTube video
    Just finished this one a couple of months ago.

Just a beautiful restoration Heatherly

#471 9 years ago
    Quoted from peclark:

I've loved these ever since I played them as a kid at the skating rink, and have missed them when the video games started to replace them.
    I just finished this Flying Saucer last fall.

Speedway driving game.

And Sea Raider.

Your games look absolutely superb peclark-congrats.

IMG_6264.jpg 147 KB

IMG_6271.jpg 151 KB

IMG_6267.JPG 169 KB

IMG_6424.jpg 154 KB

3 weeks later
    #495 9 years ago

Beautiful restorations ksnuclear-congrats

2 months later
    #531 8 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Just bought this bad boy.
    As they say "Loose lips sink ships".
    The arcade collection is shaping up. Just need a Ball Bowler down the road and I am set.
    Ken

pic 1.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    pic 2.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Looks great Ken. Is the machine operational?

2 months later
    #544 8 years ago

I recently acquired from Ed Smith a new with original parts ABT 1940 Challenger shooter game. Not an EM but certainly an M!!

SG25.jpgSG25.jpg

SG26.jpgSG26.jpg

SG27.jpgSG27.jpg

SG28.jpgSG28.jpg

I was provided with a pic of an original stand made by Johnny Frantz in 1940 (only 100 made) and was anxious to fabricate a replica.

SG24.jpgSG24.jpg

Firstly I fabricated a bender from scrap metal & a car jack to form the lower legs then fabricated the stand as close as possible to the original with the addition of removable castors.

SG21bender.jpgSG21bender.jpg

The result provides quite a functional stand with a sense of history.

#547 8 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Very nice! Ed's a great help for this type of stuff too.

Yes DF I am amazed at the involvement in & sense of history Ed has in the coin-op area having purchased the Johnny Frantz assets following his murder. Ed goes to great lengths in his correspondence to convey this history which I find tremendously fascinating.

#554 8 years ago

Sorry Alex for some reason I cannot locate the email Ed sent me explaining the background & aftermath of the murder. I will try & get a copy from Ed.

6 months later
    #611 8 years ago

Wow that is some work in progress

6 months later
    #664 7 years ago

A beautiful restoration-congrats.

5 months later
    #712 7 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

Finally got this video of my Chicago Coin Champion Rifle Range on youtube!
    » YouTube video
    » YouTube video

Wow what a fascinating machine Joe. Thks for great vid.

3 weeks later
    #720 7 years ago

Ed Smith is your man. He is part of the Village Ville website under Penny Arcade http://www.esnarf.com/pa.htm (click on the relevant aisle) & email [email protected] These guns can be quite complex to get working 100% but Ed is an expert and has the parts or complete guns.

2 weeks later
    #737 7 years ago

Wow that's a very unusual & keen machine Bruce - thks for posting particularly the vids.

4 months later
    #784 6 years ago

Remarkable find Bruce-congrats

1 week later
    #791 6 years ago

Amazing nos find-always great to see your vids & hear your overview-thks Bruce

1 year later
    #952 5 years ago

Finally got around to installing a periscope sighting rod on my Midway Sea Raider (seems missing/broken on many machines) which I obtained from John Robertson of flippers.com (the only known source of supply of this part). The rod comes blank so the sighting notches (which are illuminated from the upper light source) need to be made. I found using the finest wheel on a Dremel was most effective. Overall this is a tedious task getting access by removal of the wide mirror and removing and installing the rod to the light source bracket.

03042019 004 (resized).JPG03042019 004 (resized).JPG

03042019 005 (resized).JPG03042019 005 (resized).JPG

5 months later
    #1014 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I'm looking at getting my first ball bowler. Are the em ones easier to work on than the solid state ones? Any pros/cons on either?
    What would be a fair price on this?[quoted image]

I have not had experience with the solid state bowlers but last year I completed a full resto of a United 1962 Tropics 16ft ball bowler.

I have to say it was my most enjoyable EM resto. Lots of work and time consuming but so satisfying to see these EM design and engineering masterpieces spring into life. Importantly Chris of St Louis Ball Bowlers is able to provide masterful advice and parts and Mopar on Pinside offers incredible advice on bowlers. If you go the EM route you will ,not be disappointed and nor will your visitors.

canon03032019 002 (resized).JPGcanon03032019 002 (resized).JPG

#1016 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

What do you think of the one in the pic I posted?

That seems to be a 1957 Chicago Coin ball bowler and looks in nice condition. I am not sure the dimension of game functions on that machine. Suggest you give Chris a call or post a pm to Mopar for more definitive advice. What price is on the machine.

1 year later
    #1146 3 years ago

Purchased a CC Coney Island shooting machine last September but lots of delays pick up, delivery to Long Beach and then caught up in shipping delays out of Long Beach but happy to have finally collected from Port of Sydney.

canon25012021 002 (resized).JPGcanon25012021 002 (resized).JPG

Purchased as working but need to explore some hacks and replace power cord prior to initial test. Gun was removed for shipping. Cabinet has lots of gouges and chips not all that noticeable in pics so will repaint cab as part of an overall resto. Backglass has a bit of flaking but is good enough. First task was to put castors on this beast.

canon26012021 001 (resized).JPGcanon26012021 001 (resized).JPG

canon26012021 002 (resized).JPGcanon26012021 002 (resized).JPG

#1154 3 years ago

In the process of restoring a Chicago Coin Coney Island gun machine. I am having difficulty getting a consistent relationship between the aim,trigger shot and target hit. It seems not a question of shoot accuracy but just that something is not syncing between the shot and the target hit. This makes it very difficult to tune the accuracy through adjustment of the rifle stylus to wiper board. I have the schematics - has anyone experienced this issue? Thanks Wayne

#1156 3 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Hey Wayne,
    I thought CC gun games had a special alignment tool for sighting the targets that came with each game? Did they ever make a manual for that game? If so they will tell you how to sight in the targets, my William's Phantom Gun did. PBR has some gun game manuals, but John Robertson of flippers.com has a lot of them. I never had a CC gun game so my knowledge is limited, sorry.

Nice to hear from you Ken thks. I have a copy of the manual which is referred to as a Parts Catalogue.

ccci5.pdfccci5.pdf

No mention of any special tool other than eyes and hands. I understand that advice is ideally a two person task. One person aims the gun at a predetermined target the other adjusts the stylus adjustment arm by loosening x2 allen bolts until the target is 'hit' then retighten bolts. I have managed to get two targets ok but the rest problematic. I guess there is some 'hit and miss' (excuse the pun) on this adjustment but I will continue to persevere. There does not appear to be much repair info on gun games.

2 weeks later
    #1163 3 years ago

I am in the process of restoring a Chicago Coin 1976 Coney Island Rifle machine. I am conscious that some manufacturers provided a tool to assist in aligning the rifle aim to the stylus to rivet adjustment for gaining hit accuracy. These were not provided for Coney Island.

I am conscious that some have simply used various blocks/wedges to secure the aim but I wanted something more secure and accurate.

So from timber and metal scraps I decided to fabricate such a tool. It is secured to the cabinet behind the backglass by x2 screws and provides horizontal and vertical rifle adjustment. The tool is secured to the rifle by a modified electrical saddle dipped in plasti-dip to prevent any scratching. The adjustment is through 1in x 1/4in bolts and wing nuts. Tool seems to work fairly well.

I have also ordered a rear sight to assist aim consistency.

canon15022021 008 (resized).JPGcanon15022021 008 (resized).JPG

canon15022021 004 (resized).JPGcanon15022021 004 (resized).JPG

canon15022021 005 (resized).JPGcanon15022021 005 (resized).JPG

canon15022021 006 (resized).JPGcanon15022021 006 (resized).JPG

3 months later
    #1184 2 years ago
    Quoted from Swanee:

Cheers. I added a few extras to this game. Of course all reversible if one wants to restore to factory. Background sound track, vibrating control stick when firing, head-up-display and a few other things. Thinking about adapting a sky scrolling unit out of a Sonic Fighter to give the effect of flying through the clouds. Optics are a challenge. This game has a serious bit of hardware in it. The airplanes carriage unit is awesome. Their is a two way mirror that combines the planes images together and reflects this up to another two way mirror that permits the red flash produce by a huge spot lamp to flood the screen when you strike a hit. And I've replaced the band aid (not factory ) with a better more appropriate tape. Link to my youtube Flying Tiger. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great vid thks. Do you have a pic of the mech which controls the red/enemy plane pls? Thks Wayne

1 year later
    #1266 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

That may be true for certain machines, but as long as the mechanics, mirrors, ect.
    are stable, the Long Range can be set on it's back.
    I'm in a small town between Syracuse and Rochester. If you do happen to come
    up this way, I sometime like making trades if you happen to have any trading pieces.
    I went through the machine, and when I stored it, it was playing fine..
    Although it's thinner than some of the larger gun games, it's double mirrored which
    make the targets seem much further away.
    Here's a Long Range Bulls Eye I found on utube which plays exactly the same..

The animations of the guys coming down with the hammers is really neat!

2 months later
    #1277 1 year ago
    Quoted from izzy:

Need a part for a CC Coney Island gun game. Looking for a cam for the Pogo jump motor. Part #463-2511. Or a good photo. Not sure if this made of metal or plastic.
    thx
    [quoted image]

CC Coney Island jumper unit pics:

IMG_3773 (resized).JPGIMG_3773 (resized).JPG

IMG_3774 (resized).JPGIMG_3774 (resized).JPG

IMG_3775 (resized).JPGIMG_3775 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-show-us-your-em-gun-games?tu=wayner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.