(Topic ID: 86619)

Show us your M & EM Gun & Submarine Games!

By EM-PINMAN

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,145 posts
  • 205 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 days ago by cad-kid
  • Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 796 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

12AD66F6-CC45-4C80-ADDA-531A0172322D (resized).jpeg
    7EFB8710-98D9-46E3-9B9C-5FD6079163BA (resized).jpeg
    C7F9201A-6A95-4773-960D-55FB4495D289 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    15B6E563-5C74-403B-BB16-736339B891C3 (resized).jpeg
    3E758D74-46FE-420E-A4F7-2842C26E2BAA (resized).jpeg
    1D6281A6-DE89-4FF6-862C-3B4D99BC854A (resized).jpeg
    A58E4855-33C6-42DE-9855-75E8E433AB28 (resized).jpeg
    132C860B-028C-4E5F-B3A3-B852E9BCB275 (resized).jpeg
    0C4EA7BA-4FE4-484C-80CB-03BDDCBBE137 (resized).jpeg
    07CCB4B0-9EC9-4591-8273-D51E03BF3666 (resized).jpeg

There are 1145 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 23.
    #901 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

What an I use to clean the targets and stand up cardboard painted parts?

I've never used it but Wonder bread has been suggested as an effective media for cleaning dirty cardboard. Pinrepair mentions this I believe. I have had some luck with dampening a rag with a little Mean Green.

#902 2 years ago

I have used Zep Heavy duty citrus cleaner. You can buy a gallon of the concentrate at home depot or lowes and it will last you forever. I dilute it into a spray bottle and have used it on the cardboard without any issue, of coarse only spraying the rag then wiping dirt off. Then immediately used a second dry microfiber cloth to wick up any residual moisture. Use it also to clean pinball playfields with great results and cabinets. I sometimes use a stronger mix for the cabinets to help remove nicotine stain.

1 month later
    #903 2 years ago

Archived after 24 days
    Sold (amount undisclosed)
    Other - For Sale
    “1956 Williams Cross Fire Rifle game. Fully restored inside and out. Works excellent. Has original scoring bells or flip a switch and each target has a different digital sound. The...”
    2018-12-19
    Boston, MA
    1,000 (Firm)

Selling my Cross Fire Rifle game.

3 weeks later
    #904 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone have a resource that can record 8-track tapes? If not (need coney Island) I am going to look into making an Arduino mp3 player to replace the 8-track, however all 8track stuff will stay with and intact.

I did the exact same thing. Bought a mp3 board and amp and wired it in. I kept all the old pieces for the next owner. I had to completely repaint my coney island. If you need help with anything let me know. I retro-fitted better Blacklights as well. Makes a big difference.

-J

#905 2 years ago

20180521_195111 (resized).jpg
    Before
    20180603_125732 (resized).jpg
    During
    20180630_162409 (resized).jpg
    After

#906 2 years ago

The Cabinet was severely water damaged and flaking paint. But it was good enough I could create a stencil. A lot of trial and error and I think I got it pretty good. Showing just enough overspray on the white and blue that it looks orig. It's a fun game, but I'm looking to sell. Just not my thing. It was a barn find that I had to bring back to life as soon as I saw it.

#907 2 years ago
    Quoted from miatawnt2b:

I did the exact same thing. Bought a mp3 board and amp and wired it in. I kept all the old pieces for the next owner. I had to completely repaint my coney island. If you need help with anything let me know. I retro-fitted better Blacklights as well. Makes a big difference.
    -J

I ended up buying a 8track, however what MP3 board did you end up using? I was going to use an arduino and a amp board.

The repaint looks soooo good!!

#908 2 years ago

I did it the easy way. I used a GPD2856C decoder board and a 5$ stereo amp on Amazon.

2 months later
    #909 2 years ago

Digging out an old thread, but seemed the right place to post this. For sale or trade, an almost brand new MCI U-Boat. Plays perfectly, coin mechs are there, with schematics, and 120 plays total. Love the game, but have a bigger sentimental attachment to Midway's Sea Devil, so going with that as my sub game.

$1,500 or willing to trade for other EM games or pinballs. OK if games are non-working. Can arrange low-cost shipping if you have a Fastenal store near you.

IMG_4170 (resized).JPGIMG_4171 (resized).JPGIMG_4172 (resized).JPGIMG_4173 (resized).JPGIMG_4175 (resized).JPGIMG_4176 (resized).JPGIMG_4177 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #910 1 year ago

I've been looking for my first EM gun/missile/sub game and scored this cool 1970 Midway Invaders from Outer Space.

I'l be working on it over the course of the year and hopeing to get it working 100% and restored. It's a really fun game.
    If anyone here owns the same machine, please shoot me a PM. I'd love to get some info an maybe a few pics for a few parts that I'm going to try and repair.
    Also, mine has the less common tank model in front of the glass insetad of the neon ray gun. Even though the tank seems more appropriate, it's a lot harder to see due to the olive green color. I may try to make one or 3D print if I can get some details from anyone.

Can't wait to dive into this!

20190209_115814 (resized).jpg

#911 1 year ago

How about more pics

#912 1 year ago
    Quoted from toddsolus:

How about more pics

That's all I had on my phone right now, but I'll go into it in more detail once I start working on it and will share the progress here or in it's own thread.

#913 1 year ago

That UBoat is awesome. If something like that ever pops up around here, I'm jumping on it.

#914 1 year ago

Finished game thanks to BG resto used bright Leds and I'm happy with the colours. All mechs and parts where completely disassembled and cleaned, replaced caps on sound boards and just looking for a 8 track player to complete the game. Great fun game glad to have it in the collection

IMG_2476 (resized).JPGIMG_2475 (resized).JPGIMG_2478 (resized).JPGIMG_2477 (resized).JPG
    #915 1 year ago

Anybody have the sound card for a Chicago Coin Shootout? Mine came without, so trying to figure out what to do to add the sound.

#916 1 year ago
    Quoted from emguy:

Anybody have the sound card for a Chicago Coin Shootout? Mine came without, so trying to figure out what to do to add the sound.

Hope this could be of help

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-gun-games-chicago-coin-reproduction-sound-card-is-available

#917 1 year ago

Tank on midway aliens from outer space is likely leftovers from 1969 midway Sami.

#918 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Tank on midway aliens from outer space is likely leftovers from 1969 midway Sami.

Good call! I hadn't considered that. I need to check my serial #. Wonder if there is a database anywhere?

I'm sure they also realized how invisible that tank was and opted for the fourescent green ray gun.

#919 1 year ago

I own Sami. The tank is barely visible but the missile on it is lighted.
    I also think the black lights wear down and are not as bright as new

#920 1 year ago

I found the part # for the damaged saucer target position disc. Sadly, a web search turned up zero results. I was hoping it might be a common Midway part found in other machines.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone with a parts machine.

20190213_230854 (resized).jpg
    #921 1 year ago

Where is it in the game?

#922 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Where is it in the game?

Bottom right of the cabinet at rear floor access panel.

You can see how the copper was worn and the friend that sold it to me attempted a repair... but maybe incorrectly?

I'm just waiting on some photos from other owners for verification.

15501914896865964638969427177411 (resized).jpg
    #923 1 year ago

That looks similar to what is in Sami but working from memory here.
    It looks salvageable.

#924 1 year ago

I got a manual with the game and I think there might be one online at arcade archives.

#925 1 year ago

Finally finished restoring my Chicago Coin Flying Ducks. The old 8 track player wasn't the best so fitted new exciting sounds. The sound card used is the WAV Trigger from Sparkfun. The nice feature about this card is it's polyphonic, meaning it's able to play multiple sound together. Also has great sound trigger abilities. Could easily plug 8 track back in when fixed.
    Front glass was broken so scanned it in, cleaned up using Gimp and got a new one printed. Added better backlight to top and improved UV illumination for the playfield. Works 99.9% Game timing dial slowly drifts around.
    Cabinet just needs a thorough clean.
    If you would like to see the game in action go to

Hope you like it? This was my first attempt to restore a gun game.
    Oh! And it was fun dragging it upstairs. 200kg +

P1050443 (resized).JPGP1050447 (resized).JPGP1050470 (resized).JPGP1050842 (resized).JPGP1050852 (resized).JPGP1050857 (resized).JPGP1050860 (resized).JPGP1050861 (resized).JPGP1050869 (resized).JPGP1060007 (resized).JPG
    #926 1 year ago
    Quoted from Swanee:

Finally finished restoring my Chicago Coin Flying Ducks. The old 8 track player wasn't the best so fitted new exciting sounds. The sound card used is the WAV Trigger from Sparkfun. The nice feature about this card is it's polyphonic, meaning it's able to play multiple sound together. Also has great sound trigger abilities. Could easily plug 8 track back in when fixed.
    Front glass was broken so scanned it in, cleaned up using Gimp and got a new one printed. Added better backlight to top and improved UV illumination for the playfield. Works 99.9% Game timing dial slowly drifts around.
    Cabinet just needs a thorough clean.
    If you would like to see the game in action go to
    Hope you like it? This was my first attempt to restore a gun game.
    Oh! And it was fun dragging it upstairs. 200kg +
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great job! The sound package you designed is nice. In the video the music was a bit loud compared to the other effects but that just may be due to the camera's mic position.

#927 1 year ago

Thank you. Yes, good point. I think I'll drop the music by a few dB. Nice thing about digital it can easily be changed.

#928 1 year ago

I have used the wave trigger board. It worked ok but I had ghost trips due to the unclean power in the em.

#929 1 year ago

These gun games are so cool. Love seeing them.

#930 1 year ago

I took apart the target mech on my Invaders from Outer Space.
    After a good cleaning and adjustment, all the drops are working smoothly and the spinning saucer is now registering hits.
    It seem the contact arms on the target disc were not set in the correct positions and the game was a bit confused.

All targets are now scoring properly and I'm even getting correct sounds from alien and saucer hits!
    It was a cool mech to disassemble.
    Next I'll wok on the missile/targeting mech and then I'll probably leave the project until I have some time to do the cosmetic work.

20190217_225207 (resized).jpg

20190217_232057 (resized).jpg

#931 1 year ago
    Quoted from Adrian:

Finished game thanks to BG resto used bright Leds and I'm happy with the colours. All mechs and parts where completely disassembled and cleaned, replaced caps on sound boards and just looking for a 8 track player to complete the game. Great fun game glad to have it in the collection
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You forgot to Mention that you Re-did the gun metal work paint and re oiled the wooden gun stock , Well done Adrian game looks and plays beautifully

#932 1 year ago
    Quoted from Drano:

I took apart the target mech on my Invaders from Outer Space.
    After a good cleaning and adjustment, all the drops are working smoothly and the spinning saucer is now registering hits.
    It seem the contact arms on the target disc were not set in the correct positions and the game was a bit confused.
    All targets are now scoring properly and I'm even getting correct sounds from alien and saucer hits!
    It was a cool mech to disassemble.
    Next I'll wok on the missile/targeting mech and then I'll probably leave the project until I have some time to do the cosmetic work.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Looks like you've made progress. Still need reference photos of the target unit or just the missile launcher?

#933 1 year ago

Chicago Coin really did make a TON of stuff!

#934 1 year ago

I have owned their pinball machines and they are fun but simple. They certainly did not focus on pinball.
    Their arcade games are always fun and clever. I currently own a twin rifle and it is a ton of fun.

#935 1 year ago

I would kill for a book documenting all of the machines Chicago Coin made

#936 1 year ago

Just getting started on this critter: Chicago Coin "Fun Land".
    Looks worse off than it really is. OK, except for the backglass which actually is as bad off as it looks!

IMG_6496 (resized).JPGIMG_6520 (resized).JPG
    #937 1 year ago

Funland was the first gun game i ever bought and i think it was my favourite . it didnt have the 8 track but that was an optional feature for background noise. one of the games i most regretted selling i think.

#938 1 year ago

Hey Everyone--

Yesterday I picked up a Monster Gun, and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do to it.
    IMG_20190308_104221_01 (resized).jpg

As you can see the cosmetics have been bastardized so a full repaint is in order. It is however complete, and sort of works.

The first thing I'm going to do is get it functioning, and playing 100%. I haven't spent any time with diagnosing what's wrong with it yet, but so far the obvious issues are: one of the target wheel motors is inop., the trigger and recoil coil is inop., and while I hear the score motor up top turning I have no idea if it even scores at all. So I've got a lot to do, but it doesn't look like it's any harder than an EM pinball machine that I'm comfortable working on. After I get a schematic for it I'll delve into getting it working.

As for paint I have a few questions I hope you all can help me with.

Being that a full repaint is in order would it be better to repaint it exactly like it was originally or maybe tweak the original design a bit?

9577 (resized).jpg

I'm flip_flopping back and forth repainting it like the factory did, or changing up the colors a bit while using the original artwork. Like perhaps a black base with dark grey webbing, and using a green, baby blue, or yellow for the monsters, and the buildings.

Would I be destroying it's value by deviating from originality?

Any advice or thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

-Paul

#939 1 year ago

Well it's your game, you can do with it as you please. I suppose it depends on whether you're looking to move it along after you finish it. Custom games might be harder to resell. Most collectors probably are looking for original authentic as possible. Personally, I like the idea of customizing it.

Quoted from Pablito350:

Hey Everyone--
    Yesterday I picked up a Monster Gun, and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do to it.
    [quoted image]
    As you can see the cosmetics have been bastardized so a full repaint is in order. It is however complete, and sort of works.
    The first thing I'm going to do is get it functioning, and playing 100%. I haven't spent any time with diagnosing what's wrong with it yet, but so far the obvious issues are: one of the target wheel motors is inop., the trigger and recoil coil is inop., and while I hear the score motor up top turning I have no idea if it even scores at all. So I've got a lot to do, but it doesn't look like it's any harder than an EM pinball machine that I'm comfortable working on. After I get a schematic for it I'll delve into getting it working.
    As for paint I have a few questions I hope you all can help me with.
    Being that a full repaint is in order would it be better to repaint it exactly like it was originally or maybe tweak the original design a bit?
    [quoted image]
    I'm flip_flopping back and forth repainting it like the factory did, or changing up the colors a bit while using the original artwork. Like perhaps a black base with dark grey webbing, and using a green, baby blue, or yellow for the monsters, and the buildings.
    Would I be destroying it's value by deviating from originality?
    Any advice or thoughts are welcome.
    Thanks!
    -Paul

#940 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

would it be better to repaint it exactly like it was originally or maybe tweak the original design a bit?

I like keeping games original even if they have a few dings and scratches, but many, as in your gun game, need
    a full repaint. Usually when I spend dozens (and more) hours on the body, I like keeping it as original as possible,
    but I suppose one could have an important reason(s) to make a change..

#941 1 year ago
    Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Just getting started on this critter: Chicago Coin "Fun Land".
    Looks worse off than it really is. OK, except for the backglass which actually is as bad off as it looks!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Nice!
    FYI, I had BGResto make me a new backglass for my Fun Land, so he has it on file now.
    Cool game.

#942 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Nice!
    FYI, I had BGResto make me a new backglass for my Fun Land, so he has it on file now.
    Cool game.

Yep, noted that on his site. It's on the list as coin allows... Really cool that it is available.

#943 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

oh wow that artwork!

#944 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

Hey Everyone--

I think I've seen that "monster"osity on Facebook for sale.
    I'm restoring mine currently. I can give you the paint codes. Maybe making stencils down the line.

#945 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

oh wow that artwork!

Quoted from dudah:

I think I've seen that "monster"osity on Facebook for sale.

Yeah... it's even worse in person. Imagine puke being able to throw up all over it. Multiply it be at least 10, and that's what this looks like.

It was cheap, complete, and mostly working so that's why I got it.

Quoted from dudah:

I'm restoring mine currently. I can give you the paint codes. Maybe making stencils down the line.

I've been reading your posts on it, It's coming along nicely! As far as paint codes I've decided not to use the original colors because underneath the spattered vomit on ours the factory finish is just too destroyed to attempt any effort to preserve, or touch it up. The webbing in the original finish never looks right when reapplied, and in my opinion just makes the machine stick out like a sore thumb.

After all it's only original once, and at this point with ours originality is out the window.

Been playing around with colors a bit..
    85441s (resized).jpg85442s (resized).jpg

Might have BGResto make a new glass for it with these (or other) colors instead.
    mid_monstergun2s1 (resized).jpg

But all the cosmetics are all down the road after I get it working 100%.

Yesterday I got both target reel motors working, freed up the score motor, re soldered a bunch of bad/broken connections, cleaned and adjusted the stepper unit, cleaned all of the targets, and the artwork inside the cabinet, fixed and re sanded down the stock, and polished and re-blued the action and barrel of the gun. (It was a very productive day).

I still have to finish the stock with tru-oil, remount it, fix the score reels resetting upon a new game start, and just play it a bit to work out the bugs.

After all that's done I'll take everything back out to strip the cabinet bare and then repaint/reassemble.

Thanks for the offer dudah!

-Paul

#946 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

Yeah... it's even worse in person.
    -Paul

Good work all around!
    You seem to be pretty tech savvy - I have the sides all scanned and vectorized and will gladly share the files with you!

#947 1 year ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Good work all around! I have the sides all scanned and vectorized and will gladly share the files with you!

You are my new hero! That would be great!
    Sending PM!

#948 1 year ago

Maybe something like this would be better than the puke parade we've got going on...?

A4s (resized).jpgB1 (resized).jpg
    #949 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

Maybe something like this would be better than the puke parade we've got going on...?

I like the monster gun logo on there!
    I was also thinking of incorporating the Midway M later used in games like Pacman thinking on the access panel on the right

#950 1 year ago
    Quoted from dudah:

I like the monster gun logo on there!
    I was also thinking of incorporating the Midway M later used in games like Pacman thinking on the access panel on the right

I used your picture as a template for trying different colors. The monster gun logo on the top will fit on yours, but not on a stock cabinet because the monster and the building is a few inches higher on the side. I'm also going to incorporate the black band along the bottom of the cabinet.

The Midway M logo on the access plate is an awesome idea! I may put the monster gun logo on or another monster on that as well.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 26.95
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball
    $ 159.00
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    TheDudeMods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.96
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 337.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    £ 50.00
    Cabinet Parts
    PinballToys
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 16.00
    $ 89.99
    There are 1145 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 23.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside