(Topic ID: 86619)

Show us your M & EM Gun & Submarine Games!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,284 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JethroP
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3775 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3774 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3773 (resized).JPG
    coney island cam (resized).jpg
    20220620_194106 (resized).jpg
    20220620_194116 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1654014328988 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4577 no price (resized).JPG
    IMG_4615 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4614 (resized).jpg
    Game Room (resized).jpg
    2AC7671C-7966-4C97-A691-8018620E2D68 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1220 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1219 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1221 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 26.
    #801 6 years ago

Has anyone ever blued or painted the barrel on their rifle for your game? Mine was rusty, so dipped it in Evaporust, rinsed it off and sanded down to bare metal. Looking for and easy and not too expensive way to redo a finish on it. The game is Space Glider.
    thx

#802 6 years ago
    Quoted from izzy:

Has anyone ever blued or painted the barrel on their rifle for your game? Mine was rusty, so dipped it in Evaporust, rinsed it off and sanded down to bare metal. Looking for and easy and not too expensive way to redo a finish on it. The game is Space Glider.
    thx

Good question. My gun could do with a good treatment as well. I wonder if Cabela's or a gun shop have something that would work?

#803 6 years ago
    Quoted from izzy:

Has anyone ever blued or painted the barrel on their rifle for your game? Mine was rusty, so dipped it in Evaporust, rinsed it off and sanded down to bare metal. Looking for and easy and not too expensive way to redo a finish on it.

I had the same issue with my gun.
    I got a chemical bluing that worked pretty well 2 part treatment.
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/birchwood-casey-complete-perma-blue-liquid-gun-blue-kit#repChildCatid=30340
    Not as nice as heat bluing but for the game it did the trick.

--Jeff

BeforeBefore
    AfterAfter

#804 6 years ago

I blued the rifle on my Crossfire.
    I bought bluing from some gun website where I purchased a new site for the barrel.
    The rifle on my game was a marlin 100 22 cal.
    I followed the directions to the letter and was very pleased.

100_2001 (resized).JPG100_2001 (resized).JPG
    100_1988 (resized).JPG100_1988 (resized).JPG
    100_2484 (resized).JPG100_2484 (resized).JPG

#805 6 years ago

I'll give it a try.
    thx

#806 6 years ago

When we re-do guns on our gun games, if they aren't really rusted, we use a bluing paste:

We also use this same product for modern game ramp flaps to re-blue them.
    If you want it to last longer (though frankly it seems to be decently durable), you can spray some light clear coat over it.

#807 6 years ago

Americoin Fire Chief. Back in the late sixties/early seventies, some ambitious arcade designer had an idea to mix real water with particle board and electricity? Yes, and it worked. Go figure. The player maneuvers the fire truck's hose vertically and laterally in an effort to propel real water into illuminated windows on cue. The windows randomly light up with faux fire. The player has a few seconds to direct water into that window to earn a scoring award. Achieving a score of 10 ranks the player as a rookie whereas a score of 30 earns the rank of a captain, as displayed on the scoring screen. The game scores even without the water feature activated because the scoring is controlled by the alignment of a sensor as opposed to the water entering the proper window. The game features a windshield wiper which can be activated via a button on the console or manually via a dial. A fluorescent light illuminates the marquee and other lighting exists in the game, although none of the photos demonstrate game energized. The base of the game is easily removable, which facilitates moving the game up or down a staircase. There's a hose which runs from the fire hydrant to the fire truck, not installed on my game, at the time of the photos. This hose is for aesthetics only. The coolest thing about this particular game is that the 8-track tape is present. I think that the soundtrack involves sirens, which is pretty good bet. When I get the game running, I will post a video on youtube or vimeo because the only one currently on the internet shows a game in operation without either sound or water.
    P1080027 (resized).JPGP1080027 (resized).JPG
    20170826_165935 (resized).jpg20170826_165935 (resized).jpg
    P1080028 (resized).JPGP1080028 (resized).JPG
    20170826_165953 (resized).jpg20170826_165953 (resized).jpg
    20170826_170246 (resized).jpg20170826_170246 (resized).jpg
    20170826_170110 (resized).jpg20170826_170110 (resized).jpg
    20170826_165944 (resized).jpg20170826_165944 (resized).jpg
    20170826_171155 (resized).jpg20170826_171155 (resized).jpg

Added over 7 years ago: As of 8/28/17, the game is functioning well. The original water pump was replaced with a more powerful pump, a modification which is likely necessary for all Fire Chiefs. I just got the soundtrack running and it involves sirens and the typical mayhem at the scene of a fire. However, the 8-track player will need service to properly run the tape at the appropriate speed and the tape itself will require attention.

A few corrections to my original post: Achieving a score of 10 ranks the player as a rookie whereas a score of 50 earns the rank of a Fire Chief, with intermediary achievement levels, as displayed on the scoring screen. The game features a windshield wiper which can be activated manually via a dial. A half black light/half fluorescent light illuminates the marquee and the scenery. Standard 44 or 47 bulb lighting illuminates the faux fire and the scoreboard, although none of the photos demonstrate the game energized. Also, after posting these photos, I added the missing decorative hose affixed to the truck.

#808 6 years ago

115000301 (resized).jpg115000301 (resized).jpg

#809 6 years ago

Quoted from PinballAir:

I blued the rifle on my Crossfire.
    I bought bluing from some gun website where I purchased a new site for the barrel.
    The rifle on my game was a marlin 100 22 cal.
    I followed the directions to the letter and was very pleased.

#810 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Americoin Fire Chief. "snip"

Neat find, I would like to see the insides of that machine.

#811 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Americoin Fire Chief

Quoted from ZNET:

some ambitious arcade designer had an idea to mix real water with particle board and electricity? Yes, and it worked.

That was a fun one to play back in the day. Amazing there are any left.

#812 6 years ago
    Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Neat find, I would like to see the insides of that machine.

Once she is fully functional, I plan to post a gameplay video, including photos of the internals.

Meanwhile, there's a two-part youtube video, posted by a fellow collector (Mickey Treat), of a partially-working Fire Chief. Mickey's demonstration lacks both the water and sound features. Nevertheless, the game's basic scoring functions are displayed on his part 2 video and some internals are shown on his part 1 video.

2 months later
    #813 6 years ago

I find these all so cool. The variety in themes is so huge!
    I have memories of these from my childhood at Gameland in Lake Geneva.
    Can't wait to find one, restore it and get it running perfect!
    I feel like project games used to come up all the time on Craigslist just a couple years ago. Not so much these days.

#814 6 years ago

Wow. Haven't seen a Fire Chief game since 1978. There was one in Alladin's Castle here when it opened in 1977.

1 month later
    #815 6 years ago

@ PACMAN
    Too funny.
    That video would not be true. I wore glove and my hands would not have been blue.

1 week later
    #816 6 years ago

I'm on the hunt for my first EM rifle game if anyone has anything they'd be willing to part with? Top of my list is a Wild Kingdom but interested in anything really as being in the UK there's very little over here to be picky about. Let me know what you've got

1 week later
    #817 6 years ago
    Quoted from ronsplooter:

I'm on the hunt for my first EM rifle game if anyone has anything they'd be willing to part with? Top of my list is a Wild Kingdom but interested in anything really as being in the UK there's very little over here to be picky about. Let me know what you've got

Its been said her before, whatever you get, make sure it is complete. Parts for these games can be quite sparse.

Wild Kingdom is a great game especially if it has the original 8-track player and tape. The one thing about Midway gun games is that they have a constantly running score motor which can be troublesome so make sure that if you find one, it is complete if needing repair. I do feel that Midway has the best themed games out there with Haunted House being the grail.

I personally think that the Williams gun games are the easiest to work on and keep running since they use many of the same parts as pinball machines from the same era. I currently have an Aqua Gun which had a busted count down timer. Fixing it was a breeze as it used the same relays and coils as a pin.

PM me if you have more questions. I have three shooting games.

#818 6 years ago

i would concur on the midway score motor issue. they are problematic. but on the other hand, those games are pretty awesome too. but the clutch system and the plastic motor-shaft transition is problematic. also the early solidstate to EM links make them challenging too. not for the faint of heart.

i also concur that williams EM arcades are generally easier to work on. They use more pinball parts too, so that's is nice.

Chicago coin is pretty good too. but parts are harder to find as most CCM em pinballs are not plentiful, like say williams em pinballs. and the overlap isn't as good as say williams. Also CCM games just aren't as robust parts-wise as say williams.

3 weeks later
    #819 6 years ago

Chicago Coin Big Top finally up and running correctly!

20180128_212328 (resized).jpg20180128_212328 (resized).jpg

#820 6 years ago

Nice!! I had one of those, fun game but weighed a ton.

#821 6 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Nice!! I had one of those, fun game but weighed a ton.

Yeah I have it on sliders and it's still a beast to move around

#822 6 years ago

That's an awesome game.
    I have a single rifle game but always wanted a two gun game.

1 month later
    #823 6 years ago

Finally got some time to restore my Sega Sonar Submarine hunting game.

Pix, vids and write up here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diving-in-to-a-sega-sonar-restoration

#824 6 years ago

Got this running Fall of last year, recused from a storage locker where it sat for who knows how many years, was happy mice never touched the cardboard scenery, new paint job, re-blue barrel. Could use a new backglass, may invest in that in the future.

DSCN4512 (resized).JPGDSCN4512 (resized).JPG

#825 6 years ago

No way!
    I have a cross fire I restored!
    Yours Looks excellent.
    Bgresto has back glass and scoring marquis for inside.
    If you order the glass from him be warned it is one inch too short.

#826 6 years ago

SEE POST #660 in this thread to see the Cross Fire I restored a little more than a year ago.

#827 6 years ago

Here is a quick video of my Williams Aqua Gun. I had to re-create the center flying fish target as it was completely missing. I also re-capped the sound card and you can hear it when a couple of the shark drop targets are hit.

The game has three levels of targets. The three rotating flying fish on the bottom, the five shark drop targets in the middle that appear in three configurations, and the sea monster on the top that reverses direction when it.

#828 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

SEE POST #660 in this thread to see the Cross Fire I restored a little more than a year ago.

Man you did one hell of a nice job! Glad to know someone else who has one. Jealous of your new targets, I don't have the skill to recreate those. Luckily mine are all in tact except for the kangaroo's head, it ripped off at some point but was reattached by someone, he just has no neck now. I am glad I got the cabinet paint colors correct, I couldn't find a good picture online of this game when I was working on it, except the few on pinrepair, sanded down the paint that was on there to get to the original layer to figure it out. Have to clean out the gear box now for the kangaroo, the old grease has solidified inside and its sluggish initially at startup. Either taking it to pbresource, or attempting it myself.
    With the backglass being an inch short was their an issues putting it in the game?

#829 6 years ago

The quick answer is that I made a piece of oak to fill the void at the bottom. The one in the picture is the 2 piece 1/2 glass.

I asked Steve to make the glass and explained that it must have been broken at some time so the glass with the stenciling was 1/2 of my back glass and a piece of plate glass was added to make up the difference. I told him I wanted a 1 piece glass and was going to send both pieces. He said to just send the part with the printing. When he made the first glass 9 months later he ignored that and only made the stenciled half.

I contacted him and told him that he had only made 1/2 the glass. I told him I would pay him to make it again but the full size. We discussed it and I sent a picture with 2 tape measures showing the dimensions. He acknowledged the measurements and a few months later made the glass. When it arrived it was an inch short. I checked all of my correspondences and his replies. The measurements in discussion were correct but the glass was an inch short.
    He is a great guy and where else was I going to get a glass for this game. So I made a piece of oak that matches the frame and used it to fill the void. Unless you own the game or I told you, it is impossible to tell and the glass is beautiful.

#830 6 years ago

My Kangaroo was also slow.
    I forced in some super lube synthetic grease and it works well now.
    I also struggled with the idea of opening that case up.
    I cannot remember what the deciding factor was .

Also, There is another member here on Pinside in Michigan who owns a Crossfire.
    He sent me pictures of scenery and targets I was missing so I could make them.

#831 6 years ago

Video of my Chicago Coin Apollo Moon Shot. I just rebuilt the main mechanism. The sound card is out of commission.

1 week later
    #832 6 years ago

Working on a Midway Twin Pirate game, any ideas why it has the optical sensors and the stylus type targeting? This is missing both stylus units, the boards are there. It seems to work OK, probably a little harder to adjust targeting.

#833 6 years ago

Need parts for the recoil unit on one of the Twin Pirate rifles. Let me know what you have. Don't need them all, but would consider a complete unit.
    thx

#834 6 years ago
    Quoted from izzy:

Working on a Midway Twin Pirate game, any ideas why it has the optical sensors and the stylus type targeting? This is missing both stylus units, the boards are there. It seems to work OK, probably a little harder to adjust targeting.

Doesn't this just use photo resistors? , If that is the case, it wouldn't need to be adjusted , as long as the light beam hits the sensor it should score .
    When you say the boards are there, do you mean there is boards mounted under the guns? Or do you mean the boards in the back of the cabinet,
    just wondering as I'm not familiar with this Midway game .
    I have a Midway Gangbusters and it only uses light sensors , no stylus or stylus board .

#835 6 years ago

Boards under the guns. Manual shows adjustments and they are on the schematic as well.

#836 6 years ago

From the manual.

twin_pirates_manual-3 (resized).jpgtwin_pirates_manual-3 (resized).jpg

#837 6 years ago

Interesting . I wonder if the stylus system is because its a 2 player game , It may be used to see which player has made the hit first ?

#838 6 years ago

Possibly, there are two sets of boards and stylus.

#839 6 years ago

Looking for a part from a Midway EM gun game or the entire assembly. I just need the part that attaches to post coming down from the gun. Pictured are the needed part and the complete assembly.
    thx

IMG_3653 (resized).JPGIMG_3653 (resized).JPG

IMG_3654 (resized).JPGIMG_3654 (resized).JPG

IMG_3655 (resized).JPGIMG_3655 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #840 6 years ago

New project, its all there needs lots of cosmetic work.
    United's Bonus Gun

bonus gun 1 (resized).JPGbonus gun 1 (resized).JPG

bonus gun 3 (resized).JPGbonus gun 3 (resized).JPG

bonus gun 2 (resized).JPGbonus gun 2 (resized).JPG

bonus gun 4 (resized).JPGbonus gun 4 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
    #841 5 years ago

Finished my Midway Space Gun game. It was pretty clean to start out with (needed a fair amount of mechanical work), but really came together nicely.

Here are some pictures. The one with the lit 'star' on the back glass shows the equivalent of the match feature on this game. It is operator adjustable from liberal to conservative. When the star is lit, the player gets a free game.

Space Gun also has a cool feature where the player has a chance via a bonus target to add 3 extra shots to his total.

White Star Bonus (resized).jpgWhite Star Bonus (resized).jpg

Refinished Rifle (resized).jpgRefinished Rifle (resized).jpg

Coin Door (resized).jpgCoin Door (resized).jpg

Inside Game (resized).jpgInside Game (resized).jpg

Glass and Rifle (resized).jpgGlass and Rifle (resized).jpg

Back Glass (resized).jpgBack Glass (resized).jpg

Full Game (resized).jpgFull Game (resized).jpg

#842 5 years ago

Nice work on the Space Gun. Looks sweet.

#843 5 years ago
    Quoted from heatwave:

Finished my Midway Space Gun game. It was pretty clean to start out with (needed a fair amount of mechanical work), but really came together nicely.
    Here are some pictures. The one with the lit 'star' on the back glass shows the equivalent of the match feature on this game. It is operator adjustable from liberal to conservative. When the star is lit, the player gets a free game.
    Space Gun also has a cool feature where the player has a chance via a bonus target to add 3 extra shots to his total.

That looks great. Love the backglass art.

#844 5 years ago

I am going to look at a working Chicago Coin Twin rifle game.
    What is the going rate on these?

#845 5 years ago

I bought the CC Twin Rifle.
    I will pick it up next week and post some pics.
    When that one comes in I will have to sell my 1956 CrossFire as I am out of space. SEE POST 660 in this thread.
    I will post in marketplace next week.

100_2482 (resized).JPG100_2482 (resized).JPG

100_2480 (resized).JPG100_2480 (resized).JPG

#846 5 years ago

Picked up this guy recently. After playing in the back it seems to be pretty functional. Need to cleanup the stepper units but should hopefully be easy to get to 100%! In good shape for it's age. I was thinking of repainting it but the aged look is also pretty sweet.

IMG_20180515_205447 (resized).jpgIMG_20180515_205447 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #847 5 years ago

I picked up the Twin Rifle game.
    Fully working. Has topper and 8 track player.
    I cannot decide whether to repaint it or not.

Before I make one, does anyone have a source for the stylus contact ?

Twin Rifle (resized).jpgTwin Rifle (resized).jpgTwin Rifle 2 (resized).jpgTwin Rifle 2 (resized).jpg
    #848 5 years ago

I also picked up a working SAMI at Allentown.
    I had to do some tweaking and find the correct trigger button.
    I am also refurbishing the sound board. It worked but needed caps and pots.

SAMI 1 (resized).jpgSAMI 1 (resized).jpg
    #849 5 years ago

As I mentioned above.
    I will be forced to sell my 1956 Crossfire that I restored a couple of years ago.
    SEE POST 845 above.

#850 5 years ago
    Quoted from heatwave:

Finished my Midway Space Gun game . . .

Beautiful!

There are 1,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-show-us-your-em-gun-games/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.