(Topic ID: 86619)

Show us your M & EM Gun & Submarine Games!

By EM-PINMAN

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,284 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JethroP
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1240 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3775 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3774 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3773 (resized).JPG
    coney island cam (resized).jpg
    20220620_194106 (resized).jpg
    20220620_194116 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1654014328988 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4577 no price (resized).JPG
    IMG_4615 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4614 (resized).jpg
    Game Room (resized).jpg
    2AC7671C-7966-4C97-A691-8018620E2D68 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1220 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1219 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1221 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 26.
    #1 10 years ago

I am of the opinion that anyone who owns more than 3 EM pins should make room for at least 1 EM and/or Mechanical Gun Game in their collection. To me this really enhances the whole arcade experience plus they are a nice break in between drinking a cold one and slinging the silver ball around. I have Lots of good memories of these games as a kid as I am sure many of you do as well.

I just love the Artwork on a lot of these gun games almost as much as pinball machines from the Cabinet, to the Backglass, and last but not least the Dioramas inside.

I have heard from other folks of stories about guests that come over to parties flocking to these things, men, women, and children as there seems to be some sort of natural attraction when folks see a gun (or 2) on a big wooden box, and they say "gee...what's this?" then they play, then they are hooked.

I started this thread in hopes that Pinsiders will share some pictures, stories, and repair information about these wonderful toys.

There is not that much repair information available for these and no readily available website like IPDB to compare pictures to and get information, so this thread will hopefully enlighten all of us in some way.

Check out these other cool topics when you get a chance as well:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-em-pitch-and-bat-games

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-em-bowlers-mechanical-and-old-electrical-toys-in-your-gameroom

Also if you want to learn a few tricks and tips on how to repair or modify your gun game, check out my thread on a restoration /modification of a 1969 Williams Phantom Gun:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1969-williams-phantom-gun-restorationmodifications#post-2073351

Note: I added EM Submarine games to this thread as well because it seems like there were so few different models made mostly by Midway that it would not make sense to start another thread for those alone. These are very cool in their own right and need some Pinside TLC as well.

Want to sell, buy, or trade? Need advice or information? Post it here

Well, what are you waiting for?

Lets see them!

Ken

#2 10 years ago

Great timing! Just got my first shooter. 1966 Midway Captain Kid. Only have one other EM--Duotron. This has been a real learning experience. Pics and experiences coming.

#3 10 years ago

Ill play!
    Here is my latest project courtesy of some wheeling and dealing by ShertzPinball.
    For your Enjoyment I present a 1959 Williams Vanguard. This game was in a series that included Crusader , Titan and Hercules. If you shoot the balls they pop up and it looks like the balls are coming straight at you.

Id post a pic of the inside but its currently covered in rat shit.

--Jeff

WP_20140405_003.jpgWP_20140405_003.jpg
    #4 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Id post a pic of the inside but its currently covered in rat shit.

Oh Boy! I see another Rats Nest Story from Jeff. Maybe a movie? Coming to a theater near you!

Rats Nest II - The Vanguard!

Ken

#5 10 years ago

Turns out I got a new (1st) gun game. Very excited about it as I plan to customize it a bit. Unfortunately I will not be able to play or work on it until later this year until after we move. Here is a video of a game "like" mine in action:

Not sure if the Cabinet paint is original as it is has different colors compared to the flyer and pictures of other ones, but actually looks better with the red color added instead of the Teal Blue IMO. I'm pretty sure at this point that the Cabinet is a repaint but pretty close to the original as far as the pattern anyway although it looks like they added a bat where the start button is . Also I'm pretty sure the game is not working 100%, but is mainly working as the Monster is not turning around once shot and running in the opposite direction each time he is hit.

I think the Midway Haunted House is the Best for that theme/play/sound and wanted that but they go for twice the amount in the same condition of what I bought this for. I went for Williams too for the dependability and maintenance factor as well seeing Midway uses the crappy motorized Score Wheels which are the worst to service along with Chicago Coins crappy Score Wheels that always break and cannot be repaired, only replaced so because of this I will only buy Williams Gun games.

Phantom is the BEST IMO for a "Williams" spooky theme but has the WORST electronic sound board I ever heard, and this is where the Midway Haunted House kicks ass with the call outs and background sound from their 8-track tape. I will replace my Sound Board down the road with an actual Williams (pinball) 3 Bar Chime box I have along with a 3" Bell to register all 4 scores with different tones. Too cool right?

But wait that not all! I will also install a cassette recorder with the actual Midway Haunted House background sounds as Williams never had any for this game! Sample here:

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/haunted1.mp3

I also plan to replace all the black light Back drops except for the actual back one with the Haunted House and create custom 3D ones instead of the original 2D. My plan is to have the inside diorama look as good, if not the best compared to Midways version. The spookier the better!

I will repaint the Cabinet gloss black around the Head just like Midways HH as well, but will do some serious paint touch-ups too. This Cabinet will really POP when done. No total repaint needed either yahoo!

Looking to replace the Monster target with one that looks a real monster like the Midway HH version as well.

Everything I plan to do is easy as pie to put back to original down the road should a new buyer want it that way as I will keep all the original parts, but I really do not know why they would.....ever.

Down the road I will get a new Backglass from bgresto,com as well.

A very fun and cool project once done that should make Williams Phantom a scary experience for those who wish to hunt for ghosts and monsters in a haunted house!

Ken

#6 10 years ago

Here are some pictures with the machine off:

Ken

front 1.jpgfront 1.jpg Front 2.jpgFront 2.jpg Front 3.jpgFront 3.jpg Backglass 1.jpgBackglass 1.jpg
    #7 10 years ago

Here are some pictures of the machine on:

Ken

Backglass lit.jpgBackglass lit.jpg front lit 1.jpgfront lit 1.jpg front lit 2.jpgfront lit 2.jpg Inside diorama lit 1.jpgInside diorama lit 1.jpg Inside diorama lit 2.jpgInside diorama lit 2.jpg Inside diorama lit 3.jpgInside diorama lit 3.jpg
    #8 10 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I see another Rats Nest Story from Jeff. Maybe a movie?

well i was a film major......

--Jeff

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Unfortunately I will not be able to play or work on it until later this year

I will

--Jeff

#10 10 years ago

Still needs some work to play perfectly but decent.

100_5250.JPG100_5250.JPG 100_5248.JPG100_5248.JPG Gangbusters_Mirror_100_5257.jpgGangbusters_Mirror_100_5257.jpg
    #11 10 years ago

I remember playing Gang Busters way back when. Love the whole Tommy Gun with the Kick back action. As far as the diorama inside it is awesome! Wish Williams did a better job on the Phantom Gun diorama but to me Midway really had their act together in this and the sound department.

Get motivated and get it 100% working as you have an awesome game!

Ken

#12 10 years ago

Clay has some neat info and a sound file on that game here-
    http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/gangbus.htm

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Clay has some neat info and a sound file on that game here-

I researched his site before I bought my game but lets face it, there just is not a whole lot of information when it comes to photos/comparisons and repair guides. We need to work together on that aspect with this thread.

Ken

#14 10 years ago

I'm not really big on these, but I remember playing one in the local arcade back in the '70s which I wouldn't mind owning. It was called Genco "Davy Crockett Rifle Gallery" if I recall correctly. Neat little gun game. I haven't seen one since. Does anyone here have one or does anyone have any information about it?

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm not really big on these, but I remember playing one in the local arcade back in the '70s which I wouldn't mind owning. It was called Genco "Davy Crockett Rifle Gallery" if I recall correctly. Neat little gun game. I haven't seen one since. Does anyone here have one or does anyone have any information about it?

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/daveycr.htm
    Clay strikes again!

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

"Davy Crockett Rifle Gallery"

The indian in the back is just crazy

--Jeff

#17 10 years ago

Thanks. That really brings back memories! I wonder how scarce this model is. As I said, I've never seen another one.

#18 10 years ago

Jeff ' s Vanguard was one of a 4 game deal I went in with Jeff and my son on. My son got a Midway Rifle Range and I picked up a a Midway Trophy Gun and a Chicago Coin Rodeo. The Rodeo is missing everything on the door. I was going to part out the Rodeo, but I talked to a couple of guys at the TPF last weekend and they seem to think I can bring the Rodeo back to life with Arduino. Does anyone have any insight to this? IMG_20140227_102955_809.jpgIMG_20140227_102955_809.jpgIMG_20140227_103010_237.jpgIMG_20140227_103010_237.jpg

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from SchertzPinball:

The Rodeo is missing everything on the door.

Not quite sure what you are saying here Jason. Do you mean the Coin Door? If so it looks like it would take a standard Coin Door that you could get off any CC pinball machine. Plenty of those being parted out these days. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Ken

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

I see TPF rifle row in our future

Now that would be an awesome sight.

#22 10 years ago

Just added Submarine games to this thread as well, so lets see them!

Ken

#23 10 years ago

Here was my foray into EM gun games. Phantom was the only one fully working. The other two needed work.

They have all since been sold.

IMG_2340.JPGIMG_2340.JPG

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

I see TPF rifle row in our future

I bet there would be more gun games if there was a best gun game category.

#25 10 years ago

Had a Williams Safari gun given to me in the early 80`s, it was destened to be junked, i kept it for about 5 years and dumped it. it sort of worked.

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/safari.htm

#26 10 years ago

i had a few of these over the years, i think the ones that stayed longest were the ones with two guns. they were much more fun. i thought the best single gun was haunted house

#27 10 years ago

I bet there would be more gun games if there was a best gun game category.

Shawn won 1st for best original this year. Ill bet we can get Ed to add best rifle game category. Whats it cost a 5 dollar ribbon?

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

Here was my foray into EM gun games. Phantom was the only one fully working. The other two needed work.

Ken, notice no red on that one

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Ken, notice no red on that one

Yep, good eye Jeff, so now I will not hesitate to paint the outer rim of my Phantom Head gloss black.

Ken

#30 10 years ago

I remember playing Sea Wolf a lot as a kid at the Rehobeth Beach Funland. Loved that game. Never really got into the shooters though.

#31 10 years ago

1966 Midway Captain Kid. Paid $450. Full of cat hair. Rebuilt two flag motors. Working 75%. Kept getting the %$^& shocked out of me even when turned off. Found that it had the neutral switched (as per the schematics) instead of the hot. Fixed that first!IMG_1384.JPGIMG_1384.JPGIMG_1385.JPGIMG_1385.JPGIMG_1386.JPGIMG_1386.JPG

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I remember playing Sea Wolf a lot as a kid at the Rehobeth Beach Funland. Loved that game. Never really got into the shooters though.

Actually the1976 Midway Sea Wolf was the first SS Submarine game with the 1970 Sea Devil being the last EM version, However Sea Wolf was indeed a fun game.

Moderator, I noticed the thread was moved to the OT section which it is but I am afraid the thread will get lost as I myself had problems finding it and this is a hot topic for the collectors and I wonder if there is some way we can move it back to the EM section? If not, then I think we need an EM-OT section that is actually linked with the EM threads, so basically a sub category. Any chance Robin would approve this?

Thanks,

Ken

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Not quite sure what you are saying here Jason. Do you mean the Coin Door? If so it looks like it would take a standard Coin Door that you could get off any CC pinball machine. Plenty of those being parted out these days. Maybe I'm missing something here?
    Ken

Everything ha been cut off the back door. There should be steppers and relays all over the door.
    P1010734.JPGP1010734.JPG

#34 10 years ago

Everything ha been cut off the back door. There should be steppers and relays all over the door.

Ouch!

Well if the rest of the machine is in great shape I think it would be worth holding on to it until a trashed parts game came along to get your running again Jason.

Ken

#35 10 years ago

Phantom was the first gun game I ever played on location as a kid. The easy to hit spinner caused the ghost to move erattically which for me was almost impossible to hit. Whever I see the one still on location at Cedar Point, I always play a game on it.

For Submarine games, I like Sea Ray over Sea Devil. Sea Wolf, while nice was really trumped by the Sega 3-D version althogh I really like the modern (4 year old) Sea Wolf (same game logo) on location at most Dave & Busters. I nevr got into the color Sea Wolf II by Midway.

#36 10 years ago

My two.
    Ambush Full auto 500 + rounds in 80 seconds with recoil.
    Stockade holigraphic targets and point values. The 11 variable target values depending on shot selections.image-324.jpgimage-324.jpg

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from blimpey:

Ambush Full auto 500 + rounds in 80 seconds with recoil.
    Stockade holigraphic targets and point values.

I played ambush back in the day and it was a lot of fun! Full Auto Baby!

I do not remember playing Stockade although I do kind of remember a Gun Game with an Indian Target. It does look very fun as well and both being Williams games gets a big 2 thumbs up from me.

Ken

#38 10 years ago

I remember both Stockade & Ambush being released. Played them both and got the flyers from Martin & Snyder, the area distributor at 8880 Hubbel in Detroit.

#39 10 years ago

I read all this. Now I have that bleep bleep sound stuck in my head. That EM Submarine game, I must of put $200 worth of quarters into them during my arcade days. Aaaah the memories.

#40 10 years ago

Color me jealous ken. Phantom is my wish list of gun games.

I found my grail gun game I used to play at a pizzeria a long time ago. The game in question is a Williams' jungle drums.

I found a fella in Canada who had two of them that I manage to snag. I really to to get it up and running for nostalgia's sake.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

I found a fella in Canada who had two of them that I manage to snag. I really to to get it up and running for nostalgia's sake.

There's a guy up in Canada that has a Phantom listed on eBay for $1400.00 and tends to have a lot of gun games for sale. Maybe the same guy you bought your machine from?

Let's see you get those Jungle Drums beating once again and show us some pictures when its done!

Ken

#42 10 years ago

I have owned a couple Midway Flying Carpets but could never get the tape players to work so I got rid of them both, and a real nice fully running Haunted House. They are really only fun for a few games. If you have a large room with extra space, they would be neat to own. As someone else mentioned, a two player like Twin Rifle would be a lot more fun.

#43 10 years ago

I love this thread! I have a Williams Bonanza and a CCM Twin Rifle. I had to fabricate parts to get both of them working. Bonanza works 100%. The Twin Rifle works except for the electronic gun sound. If anyone can send me a schematic of the sound board I would appreciate it. The Bonanza is the best gun game I have played or seen. I really enjoy it. The Twin Rifle is very fun also with 2 people but not as fun when shooting alone. The hardest part was replacing a missing gun stock on the Twin Rifle. Finding a gun stock from a real gun and doing a lot of drilling/cutting and wood filler to get the stock to work with the game was a lot of work to make sure I got all the holes right and everything perfect. The Bonanza uses a 4 track tape player instead of an 8 track player. It needed a little work to get it working but it works great. Here are the pics.

DSCN1467.JPGDSCN1467.JPG

DSCN1464.JPGDSCN1464.JPG

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

I have a Williams Bonanza and a CCM Twin Rifle.

Fantastic Choices for game play and looks! Actually a Williams Bonanza is on my Wishlist down the road as my 2nd and final gun game as I feel It's got the best western theme going on for a single player. Your very lucky your 4-track tape still works! Nice job with fabricating parts to keep them playing as well.

Hopefully folks share repairs such as yours in the near future with some detailed pictures and information on this new thread.

Ken

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball4life:

If you have a large room with extra space, they would be neat to own.

That's my plan with our new home. Gun games are always a big hit at parties and when friends visit so I guess we'll just have to have a lot of visitors to keep the gun games super busy.

Ken

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

That's my plan with our new home. Gun games are always a big hit at parties and when friends visit so I guess we'll just have to have a lot of visitors to keep the gun games super busy.
    Ken

I'll help keep them tested out for you in your new home.

#47 10 years ago

Damn I love these things. Though I remember one of the biggest issues with them was the lack of accuracy. As a tyke I remember maybe 1 in 10 was properly adjusted... kinda took some of the fun out of it.

The last one I played was in the late 80's: "Ninja Gun" by Kasco. Definitely one of the better ones and shots were dead-on accurate. Really cool superimposed "ghost ninja" targets too:

#48 10 years ago

Also I remember the best ones followed a story line (of sorts). Ninja Gun changed from day to night time... starting with ninjas peeking out the door and sneaking around before going full on assault. Another was a western shootout theme. You shot bad guys during the day and then faced a quick draw boss at the end of the road where he kicked in the saloon doors at night. *BLAM*

So cool! Not long ago some friends and I discussed making a modern version... still on the project list!

#49 10 years ago

Ambush, Stockage, Haunted house, wild kingdom, twin rifle, Bonanza, Sea devil.
    guns1.jpgguns1.jpg

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Hopefully folks share repairs such as yours in the near future with some detailed pictures and information on this new thread.

I'll try and take some detailed pictures in the next couple of days of everything I did to repair my 2 gun games. Another tip that might help people - I was missing the lower horse target on my Bonanza. The game has an image of all the targets on the front of the game to show how much each one will score. So I took a picture of that image and removed all the color in a photo editor program. That way it only had the black outlines of the image. I printed it out and colored it in with florescent markers so that it would glow under the black light. Then I reversed the image and did it again. I glued the images to some poster board and tape them together and it looks great. So if your missing a target in one of your games and can't find it then get a picture of it from your game or have someone send you one and follow the above instructions. It works great and looks good.

I'll take pics of all my repairs and descriptions and post them in the next few days as it may help other people with their repairs.

There are 1,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-show-us-your-em-gun-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.