(Topic ID: 94916)

OT: Road Trip to Denver for the 4th of July! Pins and What to do?

By OLDPINGUY

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-956.jpg
    image-166.jpg
    image-909.jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Greetings All,

Denver is now a world class Mecca for Pinball, or so I am told.
    HFK, Rob, and myself, are going from Hot Florida to Denver for a week
    to enjoy all of what Denver and Colorado may offer, and to Enjoy the Fourth of July
    on Vacation!

I am hoping for suggestions for Pinball Play, maybe an outrageous eat, and what might
    be happening for the 4th of July...

We did check out some on the web, but the real scoop comes from guys that live there, and play there.

Any help is appreciated!

Rob and I look are looking forward to this.....

Art

#2 9 years ago

1up and the other 1up in Denver.

Obviously, Lyon's Classic Pinball in Lyon's.

Pinball Jones in Ft. Collins.

#3 9 years ago

Coors Field - Rockies vs Dodgers - with post game fireworks on both July 3rd and 4th.
    I have seats 6 rows behind the visitors dugout - PM me if you are interested.

+1 for the locations mentioned above, but be careful of bartenders at 1Up.

#4 9 years ago

I was there in May.

Lyons Classic Pinball is #1. Kevin and Carol are super cool cats. Good bar and restaurant next door.

1up Lodo is cool, has about 15 pins and 40 arcade games. Fully licenced bar, with some good drink specials. $1 beers the night I was there.

1up Colfax is smaller, still probably 15 pins but less arcades.

Pinball Jones is worth the trip, nice area with some good restaurants, but the machines didn't play well compared to the other 3 locations. There is a side room with some cool vintage stuff which is run by Basil, who is Kevin from Lyons buddy. Worth a look.

Denver is a very cool area. Well worth checking out.

rd.

#5 9 years ago

Oh yeah, if you go to Boulder be sure to stalk Mork and Mindys house.

image-909.jpgimage-909.jpg

#6 9 years ago

Hope you guys have a blast Art. Enjoy!

#7 9 years ago

Art - head to the mountains! Warm days, cool nights.

Bring some LEDs to us Colorado folk.

Great places to play pins. Great mountains to explore.

Visit the places already mentioned. If you like old arcade games - hit the Manitou Penny arcade. It's at the foot of Pikes Peak (you can take the cog railway to the top of Pikes, drive it or climb it if you are so inclined - 26 miles of punishment round trip).

From Lyons Classic, you can head up to Estes Park and Rocky Mtn National Park.

Rivers are moving swiftly - plenty of great white water for rafting.

FYI - lots of tourists this time of year - could be busy in the mountains.

Feel free to PM if you want more suggestions (places to visit, where to eat, etc).

#8 9 years ago

If you pass through Colorado Springs, you could check out the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo...pretty cool. Also, Cave of the Winds is a fun tour. Have a great trip! John

#9 9 years ago

I'll be out there the same time!

#10 9 years ago

Where are you staying?....Florida pinheads invade Denver!

Thanks for all the input! I hope to have time to do it all!

PMs sent!

#11 9 years ago

I love the caves! on my list.

I am a geology/paleontology hobbyist..of course, I have noticed dinosaur park....
    Are there any fossil hunters on the board? Anywhere to poke around?

#12 9 years ago

We'll be passing through just after. Denver on the 9th and I'll be at the 1UP that night. LCP on the tenth as we make our way to Estes Park for a family reunion.

#13 9 years ago

I'll definitely forth Pinball Jones. Great place and now with beer and wine, more reason to hang out and play. Not to mention Basil and Terry's arcade next door. Very cool setup, lots of fun games, lots of great beer (Horse and Dragon, AWESOME!!!!), lots of great places to eat all within just a couple of blocks. Just a really great area, and a must visit if you can.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I love the caves! on my list.
    I am a geology/paleontology hobbyist..of course, I have noticed dinosaur park....
    Are there any fossil hunters on the board? Anywhere to poke around?

Yes, Dinosaur Ridge in Morrison is cool. Also in Colorado Springs is Garden Of The Gods...it has lots of interesting rock formations...pics attached. John

image-166.jpgimage-166.jpg

image-956.jpgimage-956.jpg

#15 9 years ago

If you like live music, see if there is anything playing at red rocks. One of the best venues on the planet. Lyons is. The place! Apparently some new place in louisville.

If you guys need any good medicine while you are out there, i can put you in youch with my bro.

If you go to 1up make sure you tip, or they may freak out and assult you (not a joke unfortunately). Most argo bartenders i have ever seen.

#16 9 years ago

You should spend a day in Idaho Springs which is west on I-70 about 30 minutes from Denver. It is the first mountain town on I-70. If you like Geology, which I do also, you should take the Phoenix Gold mine tour which give a very good overview of the mining and gets you in some pretty cool shafts. I would then do lunch or dinner at Beau Jos for some great Colorado Pizza, the go across the street to Flipper Miguel's which is a decent Barcade with a dozen or so pinballs. If you have much time for fossil collecting or rock hounding, pick up a copy of the Roackhounding Colorado Falcon guide. It is as good as any, but may frustrating that you won't have much time to drive around, or that Colorado has too much private land and lots of the good stuff is not accessible. If you don't have a ton of time, I agree with SirTilt that Dinosaur ridge is a good place for a quick fix. Have Fun!

#17 9 years ago

In CO this week. Denver, then CO Springs. Love this state ! Even though Ive read quite a few negative reviews, gotta check out the 1Up tonight. Stoked to finally play all the pins Ive been dreaming of playing. Wondering though...in a bar....can you even hear them ? Probably not, so will try to get some daytime plays in. Cheers !

#18 9 years ago

Wow, I am even more excited! Thanks WhySnow, red rocks is on the list, along with medicine.

Thank you, Oilguy, for that info...I hadnt noticed that before.....The Phoenix Gold Mine sounds interesting, also being
    a Jewelry manufacturer for 38 years...cool....I agree, its tough today, unless one knows someone who is generous to
    open private land, but likely more time needed then the 1/2 day we may have...
    As a kid,in the 70's, areas were open and picking up geodes and fossils was like shells on the beach,....both harder to find today.

Thanks for the help...I havent had a week off in 8 years..so this is special in many ways...

#19 9 years ago

Hey guys , just letting you know Lyons Classic Pinball is closed on the 4th of July. I get to go party and play a friends pin's that day, but we are open the Thurs before and the Sat and Sun after. Be sure to introduce yourselves when you get here. Colorado welcomes you.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Greetings All,
    Denver is now a world class Mecca for Pinball, or so I am told.
    HFK, Rob, and myself, are going from Hot Florida to Denver for a week
    to enjoy all of what Denver and Colorado may offer, and to Enjoy the Fourth of July
    on Vacation!
    I am hoping for suggestions for Pinball Play, maybe an outrageous eat, and what might
    be happening for the 4th of July...
    We did check out some on the web, but the real scoop comes from guys that live there, and play there.
    Any help is appreciated!
    Rob and I look are looking forward to this.....
    Art

We are Closed July 4th,5th,6th but open 8-5 the rest of the time. Feel free to spend as much time here as you want. normally 30-40 Pinballs + 200 video games all on free play. Pack a lunch =)

JJ

#21 9 years ago

Even if no tunes at red rocks, Still a nice place for a short jaunt. Open park when no tunes.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from OilGuy:

You should spend a day in Idaho Springs which is west on I-70 about 30 minutes from Denver. It is the first mountain town on I-70.

And then go from there to Breckenridge ski resort, another 45 minutes or so. Go to Eric's and eat, great place and nice pins. Several other bars have pins there! Plus you can't beat the scenery.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If you go to 1up make sure you tip, or they may freak out and assult you (not a joke unfortunately). Most argo bartenders i have ever seen.

Really? I never had a problem the few times I've been. Love the place. After playing all the pins and a few of the video games I really enjoyed the 4-Man PacMan game and the giant Jenga. If you are there with a pack of folks it can be quite entertaining.

#24 9 years ago

In addition to all the above I would recommend a Colorado Springs trip as well... visit Garden of the Gods and Manitou Springs Penny Arcade. Last time I visited, there was also an arts and crafts festival with great live music.

#25 9 years ago

I am really excited about this trip. With all there is to do around Denver I told Art we should have taken two weeks but unfortunately I don't think either of us could take off that long.

Lots of great suggestions and we are looking into them all. I would also appreciate any restaurant recommendations because we both love good food.

One of the main things is relaxing some for once and hopefully not having to deal with work (too much ).

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

...I would also appreciate any restaurant recommendations because we both love good food...

Fish tacos at Blue Agave in Ft Collins are amazing.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#27 9 years ago

I love tacos, pretty much any Mexican fare but they should never have fish in them. I know it is me but I am not a fish fan. Now give me some crustaceans and we are talking but I still wouldn't want them in a taco.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

I love tacos, pretty much any Mexican fare but they should never have fish in them. I know it is me but I am not a fish fan. Now give me some crustaceans and we are talking but I still wouldn't want them in a taco.

There's only one sort of FISH TACO I'd be interested in ... And you don't find them in a Mexican restaurant.

rd.

#29 9 years ago

I will be out there about the same time as well. Lyons, Flipper McGills and the Penny Arcade in Manitou Springs are always on my list of stops when in the area.

#30 9 years ago

Hey Art, enjoy your long overdue vacation. My last real vacation was about 7 years ago when a friend and I went to Ireland to see the Celtic Woman Homecoming show and then spent a week wondering around the country. I want to go back so bad.

#31 9 years ago

Thanks Paul, and everyone....Shaping up to be a special week...!

#32 9 years ago

Remember, pics or it didn't happen.

#33 9 years ago

Just an FYI...The downtown Denver fireworks celebration is on July 3rd.

#34 9 years ago

At the 1Up right now......died and gone to pin heaven....

#35 9 years ago

I really like the Cholon Bistro which is close to the 1up and have Thai/Singapore cuisine. They have French Onion Soup wontons that are really awesome.

#36 9 years ago

Nice! Thai/Singapore food...mmmmmmm....

#37 9 years ago

Pardon my me me me attitude Pinguy. Denver is so much fun...I hope you guys have the time of your lives !

#38 9 years ago

Can't wait, one week from today we will be in Denver!

#39 9 years ago

See you in Denver tomorrow morning Art.

#40 9 years ago

Wishing my address was anywhere in CO......Just thought I'd mention ; if you go to Garden of the Gods,..well worth it ! Breathtakingly beautiful..and free !! Plus the gift shop that makes all other gift shops feel small. Its like a Super Target ! Lotta gift shop kitschz, but some really inexpensive original CO art. And if you hunt long enough....youll find 4 EMs in the back. Night Rider ( love that backglass gal ! ), Sky Jump, Card Whiz, and a Sure Shot. But best of all...right down the road in downtown Manitou, there is a giant arcade with many EM's and newer dmd's too. So much fun ! Manitou Springs Penny Arcade...just look for Royal Tavern on the main strip. Grab a beer, and play Superman ! I did, and loved it ! Either way...I'm sure you guys will have a high time !! Cheers from Indy !

#41 9 years ago

Enjoying day 1....hungover from a party in Evergreen!

#42 9 years ago

i hear they have legal marijuana in colorado with dozens of spots in denver where you can eat, drink, smoke or vape mj in various forms...then you could play pinball...you would be in one of only three places in the world where you can legally play pinball high...washington state, colorado and holland...i doubt they have pinball in uruguay they barely have electricity

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Enjoying day 1....hungover from a party in Evergreen!

I want pics.

#44 9 years ago

hungover or bongover?

#45 9 years ago

Can't tell. They run together!

Went to One Up yesterday, and the Botanical gardens.
    Most excellent!

One up does a spectacular job keeping all the pins in supershape!
    And a huge selection. Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Couldnt find game exchange...old address?

For those pinsiders in and around Denver, lucky people..Beautiful city!
    and every person..everyone has been wonderful!

#46 9 years ago

Knowing OPG, he never quits. He probably brought a bagload of LED's and is giving them away and installing them into every game he plays.

Enjoy your continued vacation and Happy 4th!

#47 9 years ago

True, I leave a breadcrumb trail of bulbs wherever I go so I can find my way back.
    I even tipped a waitress with a bulb!

How did you guess?

Now how to fix the purple blood shot eyes!

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

True, I leave a breadcrumb trail of bulbs wherever I go so I can find my way back.
    I even tipped a waitress with a bulb!
    How did you guess?
    Now how to fix the purple blood shot eyes!

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! Wayyy too funny. That just made my whole day!

#49 9 years ago

Had a pass to take visiting FL guys up to the home collection but nobody introduced them selves as pinsiders from Florida . Guess you did not make it or did not let me know who you were.
    Next time i guess. Hope your CO trip was a good one.
    KC from LCP

#50 9 years ago

Still here....2 more days..we lost a lot of time, as both of us are sick, and got sicker...had to rearrange plans, but having a blast, and thanks to all the advise and recommendations.

My apologies to those we did not reach.

Art

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-road-trip-to-denver-for-the-4th-of-july-pins-and-what-to-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.