monstersquad3.jpg
Parallels.jpg
ra.jpg
raising_arizona_back_in_prison.jpg
head_go_boom.gif
primer_wtf.jpg
primer-primer.png
image.jpg
There are 535 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
#1 8 years ago

I just saw the list of netflix movies expiring in August, and thought it might be cool to share movie recommendations with other pinheads.

Use this thread to suggest other movies on Netflix that you think pinsiders might like, but haven't discovered yet.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi is expiring August 23rd, 2015. I thought it was pretty good. I'll post some others later.

#2 8 years ago

Zombeavers -very entertaining.

#3 8 years ago

Dale and Tucker vs. Evil.. I just hope it's still streaming.

#4 8 years ago

I second Jiro, that's a good one. All subtitled, but it didn't bother me at all.

Queen of Versailles is another documentary that's pretty good. It starts out as one thing, and goes a completely different direction.

Exit Through the Gift Shop - I think that one is still on there, another good doc.

I'll have to post some more later once I go through my list of watched movies.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

Dale and Tucker vs. Evil.. I just hope it's still streaming.

YES! (edit: to the awesome movie part, not sure if it's still streaming)

Also, I just saw the Korean movie Pirates. It was decent, especially if you enjoy foreign martial arts movies.

#6 8 years ago

Just checked, Dale and Tucker vs. Evil is still streaming..

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Exit Through the Gift Shop

I'm not even big on documentaries, but this is one of my favorite movies.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Jiro Dreams of Sushi is expiring August 23rd, 2015. I thought it was pretty good. I'll post some others later.

Thanks that is awesome. Defiantly booking reservations when there in March!

#10 8 years ago

Watch any Nat Geo documentaries on North Korea.

Really liking the documentaries on the food industries. Factory farms and such. EYE OPENING. I've boycotted Yum Brands since (owners of KFC, Taco Bell, etc.).

#11 8 years ago

Have you guy's seen "The Wild and Wonderful White's of West Virginia"?

#12 8 years ago

Supermensch: The legend of Shep Gordon

Or Soundcity on Amazon Prime

#13 8 years ago

Babadook!

Seriously it's the best non violent horror/suspense film in years.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

Have you guy's seen "The Wild and Wonderful White's of West Virginia"?

I second that one,
Have you seen the pbs documentary about jesco?

Odd lifestyle but a very interesting man.

#15 8 years ago

They just added The Guest, a really good low-budget thriller/horror movie from the guy who did You're Next. Good stuff.

#16 8 years ago

The Punk Singer is another good documentary.
It's about kathleen hanna. Say what you will but I still like her,
She was involved in third wave feminism, bikini kill, le tigre, and the julie ruin.

Again odd lifestyle but a very interesting woman

#17 8 years ago

All good films listed here already. 'Boy' is one that I loved that doesn't get much buzz. It's like a New Zealand version of Napoleon Dynamite.

Not sure if 'Rare Exports', 'Troll Hunter' or 'Let the Right One In' are still on there, but they're great too. The first two are like Tucker and Dale, the last is more moody thriller.

#18 8 years ago

Netflix has movies????

#19 8 years ago

Just watched this documentary on Netflix: Antarctica: A Year on Ice

Shows what people do down there at the research stations and has some amazing landscape photography.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

Have you seen the pbs documentary about jesco?

If you wanna live to see tomorra, you better start fryin' them eggs a little bit better than what you' been doern 'cause I'm tired of eatin' sloppy, slimy eggs!

The Dancing Outlaw. Way better than the Whites.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Netflix has movies????

What else are you going to watch now that nothing is on but Big Brother?

#22 8 years ago

iron sheik documentary. What a life that man has led.

#23 8 years ago

The Final Member. Forever ruined the name Elmo for me.

Another vote for Zombeavers.

Keep them coming. Always looking for new stuff to watch, particularly documentaries.

#25 8 years ago

1. Grand Piano - a pianist performing at a concert finds a note that says if he misses one note, he will be shot (a lot better than it sounds)
2. Point and Shoot - a true story and self shot documentary of a nerdy American that wanted an adventure and travelled the Middle East on motorcycle and actually decides to join the freedom fighters of Libya and actually becomes kind of a badass. Definitely worth a watch.

#26 8 years ago

Dead Snow - 2009

Nazi zombies in Sweden...Um hell yes!

#27 8 years ago

I like TV series as I enjoy the deeper character development it allows for. I just watched all of Damages, that was pretty good. Also watched the first two seasons of Rectify, which was also really good.

#28 8 years ago

Lot's of great movies to pick from. I probably watch more documentaries and Comedians than anything but here are some from my Netflix list that I've enjoyed over the years:
Snowpiercer
Vietnam in HD
Life Itself
Fish Tank
Equilibrium
Inequality for All
Frontline - Losing Iraq
In a World
House of the Devil
Fruitvale Station
Nebraska
Joe
Rescue Dawn
Chef
Cocaine Cowboys
City of God

#29 8 years ago

Recently binged on the following:

Sherlock Holmes
Sense8
Archer
Heroes

All were awesome!

#30 8 years ago

Any good Rob? The ratings on it were a tad low so I haven't taken the plunge yet.

#31 8 years ago

reddit.com/r/netflixbestof is a good resource.

Some good not-so-popular ones I've seen lately are Blue Ruin. I'd recommend not reading anything about it.

An Honest Liar was a good documentary on magician and psychic debunker the Amazing Randi. That led me to Deceptive Practice; a pretty interesting documentary on magician Ricky Jay, who you may recognize from Boogie Nights.

John Dies at the End is somewhat similar to the Dale and Tucker vs. Evil people are recommending.

And Legit is a pretty good show.

#32 8 years ago

A few titles that I was pleasantly surprised by lately that should still be streaming:

Beyond the Lights
An Honest Liar
Bring me the Head of the Machine Gun Woman
Conan the Barbarian (finally saw it)
Garfunkel and Oates
The Island of Dr. Moreau (original)
Zombeavers

Tucker & Dale vs. evil has been streaming forever, but yeah that one is fantastic.

All great for completely different reasons.

#33 8 years ago

Here are some personal favorites. I believe they are all still streaming:

Documentaries:

Life 2.0 - follows a few people that are obsessed with Second Life.
All This Mayhem - about the Papas brothers (professional skaters from down under)
The Imposter - totally weird and messed up. You can't believe it's a true story.

Horror/thriller:
Old Boy - the original movie, not the remake. Simply a must watch if you like horror/trillers..
Thankskilling - Campy, and amazing.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Any good Rob? The ratings on it were a tad low so I haven't taken the plunge yet.

I watched the first few episodes and it was pretty awful IMO.

#35 8 years ago

This is probably OT, but I recently saw "Her" on Blu-Ray. Take this as a warning. This is the worst movie ever. No redeeming value at all. Whether it is on streaming or not, I will sleep better tonight if I stopped even one person from seeing this movie.

#36 8 years ago

"Blackfish" amazing documentary. You will never go to SeaWorld again.
"An Honest Liar" is great too.
"Dead Snow" & "Dead Snow 2 Red vs. Dead"
"Horns"

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Old Boy - the original movie, not the remake.

One of my favorites! It's actually part of a vengeance trilogy the director Chanwook Park did. Definitely the best of the 3, though. He has done other worthwhile movies, too, like Joint Security Area about guards on both sides of the North/South Korean border.

Other stuff on Netflix:
I recently watched Automata and it was ok. I was glad to not have to pay for it.

I kind of liked Horns, too.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

I liked it a lot, but they took the entire first season to explain what was happening to each of them and how they could communicate with each other.

Next season should be more interesting.

#39 8 years ago

Troll Hunter
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
The History of Future Folk

All three of these were really good IMO.

#40 8 years ago

There was another great thriller/mystery on Netflix around the same time as "Let the right one in." Anybody remember it? It was also on around the time Transsiberian was available.

#41 8 years ago

I probably watched "special when lit" 10 times when it was still streaming.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

There was another great thriller/mystery on Netflix around the same time as "Let the right one in." Anybody remember it? It was also on around the time Transsiberian was available.

Which version of Let the right one in? They were both around for a while I think. Remember anything else about it? Sounds like it was probably a horror/suspense type thriller? Sci-fi or no? Children involved? Setting? Maybe Honeymoon? It Follows? The One I Love? Almost Human? It Follows was quite good. As was The One I Love. Different ends of the thriller category though.

Also, some other great ones that I just checked and are still up:

Sushi Girl. The less I say, the better. It's fantastic.
Honeymoon was an fresh thriller, not sure if that's what you're referring to.
Oculus was also incredible. Really reminded me of House of Leaves or a really good Lovecraft story.
Danger 5.
Welcome to the Jungle. Quite funny.

#43 8 years ago

Big Trouble Little China if that's still streaming. Such a fun, goofy movie. Supposedly being remade with Dwayne Johnson.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Old Boy - the original movie, not the remake.

Quoted from winteriscoming:

One of my favorites! It's actually part of a vengeance trilogy the director Chanwook Park did.

And if you like Oldboy. Try I saw the Devil.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

And if you like Oldboy. Try I saw the Devil.

Say no more. Added to my list. Thanks!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Which version of Let the right one in? They were both around for a while I think. Remember anything else about it? Sounds like it was probably a horror/suspense type thriller? Sci-fi or no? Children involved? Setting? Maybe Honeymoon? It Follows? The One I Love? Almost Human? It Follows was quite good. As was The One I Love. Different ends of the thriller category though.

I just went through a bunch of old emails about movie recs and found it - Tell No One. I actually don't remember much about it other than it was on my list of three good suspense/thriller/mystery movies on Netflix at the time, along with Let The Right One In and Transsiberian.

Just heard about It Follows, and I'll check it out soon. Thanks!

Anyone watch Ex Machina yet? I just rented it and loved it.

#47 8 years ago

Just watched Money for Nothing. It's a good doc on the Federal Reserve.

Any of the 30 for 30 docs are great if their subject material catch your interest.

Blackfish was really good.

#48 8 years ago

Movies
Kung Fu Hustle -- Stephen Chow at his best
Big Trouble in Little China -- A John Carpenter action comedy deftly turning the white guy needs to save us trope on its head
5th Element -- One cup comedy + a pinch of scifi and a dash of Die Hard
The God of Cookery -- Stephen Chow at his weirdest
Stardust -- Hey, is that the guy from Daredevil and why is Robert De Niro dancing in a dress?
Hot Fuzz -- Edgar Wright, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg's dark take on the buddy cop genre
The Great Escape and then watch Chicken Run

Shows
Daredevil -- It's got pinball!
IT Crowd -- Have you tried turning it off and on again (a must for anyone that has ever worked in IT)
The Guild -- MMO distilled
Luther - Not your typical English crime drama
Cosmos -- A bit of science nerdery

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This is probably OT, but I recently saw "Her" on Blu-Ray. Take this as a warning. This is the worst movie ever. No redeeming value at all. Whether it is on streaming or not, I will sleep better tonight if I stopped even one person from seeing this movie.

I have to disagree, I absolutely loved that movie and thought it was the most original love story told in years.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Really reminded me of House of Leaves

Have never heard anyone mention this book before. It's been an obsession of mine for years! Some of it is trying, but the good parts are so good I'm surprised they haven't done something with it yet. So, will watch Oculus for sure.

There are 535 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-recommend-netflix-instant-watch-movies-here?hl=buju and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.