monstersquad3.jpg
Parallels.jpg
ra.jpg
raising_arizona_back_in_prison.jpg
head_go_boom.gif
primer_wtf.jpg
primer-primer.png
image.jpg
There are 535 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
#201 8 years ago

Nobody has mentioned Peggy Sue Got Married yet. A solid flick, if you ask me.

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Oh, and where is the Mel Gibson love at?
Payback and it's spiritual successor Get the Gringo are both streaming!

I liked Payback, I have the bluray that has both the director's cut and theatrical cut and I can't remember which version I like best. Didn't see Gringo yet.

Another good one of his that is streaming is Conspiracy Theory.

#203 8 years ago

For heavy shit, check out: S21: The Khmer Rouge Killing Machine. Former captives confront former guards decades after the atrocities. Very few made it out alive. If you saw "The Killing Fields" it would be right up your ally.

#204 8 years ago

On the light side, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are both on streaming, and are still excellent.

#205 8 years ago

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not, but "In the Loop" is a British flick that is well worth watching and is streaming now.

Peter Capaldi is gloriously profane throughout the entire movie. Hilarious from start to finish.

Here's one particularly high quality scene:

#206 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

On the light side, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are both on streaming, and are still excellent.

2 of my all time favorites. I daresay no movie has topped these in the animatronics department. I really wish Hollywood would have kept animatronics as a viable option instead of the CGI crap that gets pumped out and sold as realistic these days. Even Peter Jackson's mo-cap can't stand up to 80's Jim Henson animatronics in my opinion.

On another note: my wife and I are enjoying Sense8. We also liked BoJack Horseman. It's a well done adult cartoon.

#207 8 years ago

Swearnet: the movie

#208 8 years ago

Anyone watching "Narcos" yet? I'm halfway through it. If you like shows based off of true stories (which I love).....you will enjoy.

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Just finished Sense8. I liked it, but agree that it was a tad slow in parts. Hope we get a lot more like the finale next season. But if JMS has the same 5 year plan as B5, it'll be like a novel, beginning, middle, and end. Definitely should pick up a bit next season.

I really liked this show. I hope it gets a long run.

One aspect I like about Sense8 is that it covers a few social issues that are hot button topics for some, and it has the potential to take you out of your comfort zone and maybe let you view things from a place of compassion and empathy rather than judgement. It's also all wrapped up in a package with some interesting sci-fi and action. I could see someone very conservative being too uncomfortable in some scenes and completely abandon the show. I would hope, however, that the show has the potential to lead to more tolerance and acceptance in the world.

Anyone who likes it should also check out Orphan Black. It's a relatively new series, but has a similar feel. I think it's available on Amazon Prime currently. Sense8 has an Orphan Black + Lost vibe to me. Don't get me started on Lost, though. The way it ended made me wish I had never watched any of it... or at least I wish that it had been canceled before the last season... what a waste of time.

#210 8 years ago

Sense8, pretty good, but Lito .... so much drama, i could have slapped him silly at times

#211 8 years ago

Watched all of Sense8. It was incredible. Brilliant. Some of it is tough to watch as mentioned.

#212 8 years ago

I mostly watch scifi and loved "Primer". I recommend watching without reading the description first, adds to the appreciation and intrigue in my opinion. Also this one takes some focus to follow, so give it your full attention.

#213 8 years ago

History of the Eagles is streaming. If you like the Eagles, this is a really good documentary.

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

History of the Eagles is streaming. If you like the Eagles, this is a really good documentary.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I mostly watch scifi and loved "Primer". I recommend watching without reading the description first, adds to the appreciation and intrigue in my opinion. Also this one takes some focus to follow, so give it your full attention.

Then, refer to this simple diagram to help you understand the first 1% of what you just saw:

primer-primer.pngprimer-primer.png

Then, go back and watch it 4 more times. After watching it 4 more times, try to read through this chart:

primer_wtf.jpgprimer_wtf.jpg

Then watch it 6 more times, then:

head_go_boom.gifhead_go_boom.gif

#216 8 years ago

I got excited to watch reruns of Saturday night live on Netflix until I actually watched one.

They edited out all of the musical guests. In all streaming episodes.

They even describe who the guest is in the description but you will not see those performances.

Music is such a large part of SNL this must be one of the stupidest fucking things Netflix ever did.

What dumbasses.

#217 8 years ago

Probably licensing issues.

#218 8 years ago

Dude, relax. It's not Netflix's fault. It's all about royalties, licensing and the all-mighty dollar. Same reason a lot of the Beavis and Butthead re-releases on DVD didn't have the music videos intact. (Which of course, sucked just as bad...lol)

#219 8 years ago

Speaking of Nicholas Cage, I like Raising Arizona. So many good qoutes, "you missed a spot". to bad its no longer available to streamraising_arizona_back_in_prison.jpgraising_arizona_back_in_prison.jpgra.jpgra.jpg

#220 8 years ago

I just saw that Person of Interest is now available on Netflix. I love that show. At least the first two seasons. Not sure I saw the third.

#221 8 years ago

After looking at the SNL music removal it is interesting there is no answer only speculation online.

Music rights, maybe. The music was in there a few years ago though.

The other speculation is that it was a decision by NBC, and involved YouTube being their streaming media of choice.

Either way it's unwatchable without the music in my opinion.

#222 8 years ago

I'll recommend a cool indie flick, The One I Love. Awesome Twilight-Zone-ish vibe about a couple who go to a vacation retreat to work on their troubled marriage.

Doesn't sound like much, but that's because to say more would spoil the clever surprises.

#223 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Shane Carruth's (writer/director/star of Primer) 2nd movie Upstream Color is, or at least was, on Netflix.

It's sci-fi. It's no Primer, but worth a watch.

#224 8 years ago

It was a long time ago that I watched Primer. I didn't even remember watching it to be honest. I checked my review on Netflix and I gave it 2 stars out of 5.

#225 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It was a long time ago that I watched Primer. I didn't even remember watching it to be honest. I checked my review on Netflix and I gave it 2 stars out of 5.

It's great from a "how would time travel work" scientific stand point, but you literally have to study the movie and the subsequent info people have put together about the movie to really understand it. Even then, the payoff is just that the director obviously put a lot of time into making sure the story was really tight.

I'd probably rate it a 3 of 5 to be honest, so you aren't far off. My standards aren't high for "entertainment" either. I'd rate Guardians of the Galaxy a 5 of 5.

#226 8 years ago

Anyone watch Night Crawler yet? Any good?

#227 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'd rate Guardians of the Galaxy a 5 of 5.

Who wouldn't?! That film was pure entertainment!

#228 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Then, refer to this simple diagram to help you understand the first 1% of what you just saw:

Then, go back and watch it 4 more times. After watching it 4 more times, try to read through this chart:

Then watch it 6 more times, then:

LOL... it can really inger in your mind. I didn't know about these "resources"... now I have a reason to watch again with these aids, thanks!

Donnie Darko is similar. If you like one, you'll likely like the other. Any others like these?

#229 8 years ago

In case anyone hasn't seen it, the best movie ever made in the history of cinema is streaming on Netflix.

Lawrence of Arabia

#230 8 years ago

Looks like all the Hellraiser movies are streaming. Man, there are some I didn't even know existed. Some suck, but some are campy horror goodness with commendable special effects, costumes and makeup. I like the Lament Configuration as an underlying plot device.

#231 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

In case anyone hasn't seen it, the best movie ever made in the history of cinema is streaming on Netflix.
Lawrence of Arabia

Close. Personally, I'd rank it 2nd.

#232 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Lawrence of Arabia

A group of us watched the first DVD back in college, but we never finished it. Definitely need to.

I just finished Ken Burns' Civil War last night after a long break. Incredible series.

#233 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Close. Personally, I'd rank it 2nd.

What's your number one?

#234 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What's your number one?

SWE1, obviously.

#235 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

SWE1, obviously.

Quoted from RobT:

What's your number one?

2001: A Space Odyssey

This isn't my favorite film, but I do feel it is the most well crafted film ever made.

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

2001: A Space Odyssey
This isn't my favorite film, but I do feel it is the most well crafted film ever made.

Well crafted indeed. Kubrick is a master. But for me, the writing/story line (is there one?) is too vague to consider it the best ever made. I realize that many people consider that one of the films great strengths though.

#237 8 years ago

If we're talking Kubrick, I think Dr. Strangelove is his best film. And as funny as Seller's is in that film, George C. Scott stole every scene he was in. "He'll see the big board!"

#238 8 years ago

Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange are my two favorite Kubrick films, followed by Strangelove.

#239 8 years ago

I randomly came across a science fiction movie on Netflix last night called Parallels. It caught my eye because it was written and directed by the same guy who did a mini-series that I love called The Lost Room. I watched the whole thing only to discover that it was originally intended to be a pilot for a TV series. Apparently, the series didn't get picked up, so now I'm just left hanging. Bummer. It was an interesting premise, and the acting wasn't bad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3479316/?ref_=nm_knf_i1

Parallels.jpgParallels.jpg

#240 8 years ago

I've never been big on Dr. Strangelove. The only parts that hold my interest are the ones involving George C. Scott. He is pure comedic gold in that movie. Sellers on the other hand, always feels like he's trying way too hard to be funny. This one is middle of the road Kubrick for me.

I'll likely get crucified for this, but after 2001 I would rank Eyes Wide Shut as his next best film. It really is an underrated masterpiece in my eyes.

Sadly neither are on Netflix as far as I know.

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well crafted indeed. Kubrick is a master. But for me, the writing/story line (is there one?) is too vague to consider it the best ever made. I realize that many people consider that one of the films great strengths though.

Yeah, it is a very polarizing film (understandably so). It seems to be the sort of film that people can easily respect, but find hard to love.

To me it is more about the experience than anything else. It combines sound with the moving image in a way that no other movie has. Art in cinematic form and all that jazz.

I like that the film itself can be interpreted in many ways or not at all in order to be enjoyed. At a base level it can be viewed as the evolution of man, others interpret it as a cautionary tale about technology, and for others it is the ultimate trip.

I have had some great filmgoing experiences in my life, but the greatest is definitely the time I saw 2001 in the theater when it was re-released in 2001. Saw it on the Ultrascreen with a friend of mine. Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite blows away anything else I've ever seen on the big screen.

So for me, I guess it is the ultimate trip.

#242 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I've never been big on Dr. Strangelove. The only parts that hold my interest are the ones involving George C. Scott. He is pure comedic gold in that movie. Sellers on the other hand, always feels like he's trying way too hard to be funny.

I disagree about Sellers. Out of the three characters he portrays, Dr. Strangelove is the only one that is over the top. The other two characters feature some of the best and most subtle acting of his career. How can you not think this is one of the funniest scenes ever put on film?

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I disagree about Sellers. Out of the three characters he portrays, Dr. Strangelove is the only one that is over the top. The other two characters feature some of the best and most subtle acting of his career. How can you not think this is one of the funniest scenes ever put on film?
» YouTube video

I've seen the film numerous times, and I was still literally laughing out loud watching this!

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

» YouTube video

Yep. He was fine as this particular character, but his Strangelove performance was absurd and the part he plays opposite Sterling Hayden was pretty forgettable. Different strokes.

I will say that Dr. Strangelove is one of those movies I like less with each viewing. Some movies are like that for me for whatever reason. A lot of the Marvel movies suffer from this affliction as well.

#245 8 years ago

If you were an 80's Kid like me I recommend "The Monster Squad" monstersquad3.jpgmonstersquad3.jpg

#246 8 years ago
Quoted from Donnyman:

If you were an 80's Kid like me I recommend "The Monster Squad" monstersquad3.jpg

Wolfman's got nards!

#247 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Wolfman's got nards!

Yes!! best line in the movie

#248 8 years ago

The Iron Sheik documentary called Sheik ... it's engrossing.

#249 8 years ago

I watched Time Crimes last night and was somewhat disappointed. It certainly didn't help that it was dubbed. The film had an interesting premise, but overall I didn't find it to be nearly as good as Looper, Predestination, or even Primer.

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I watched Time Crimes last night and was somewhat disappointed. It certainly didn't help that it was dubbed. The film had an interesting premise, but overall I didn't find it to be nearly as good as Looper, Predestination, or even Primer.

I remember liking Time Crimes a lot, though I saw it in the original Spanish language with subtitles. I thought from a time traveling rules perspective that it was well done and not too difficult to understand.

There are 535 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-recommend-netflix-instant-watch-movies-here/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.