monstersquad3.jpg
Parallels.jpg
ra.jpg
raising_arizona_back_in_prison.jpg
head_go_boom.gif
primer_wtf.jpg
primer-primer.png
image.jpg
There are 535 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.
#51 8 years ago

My picks:

City of God - If for some reason you have never heard of this movie about Brazillian slum kids and drug dealers, and dont mind subtitles, this is a must see.

Election- a totally great darker comedy with Mathew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon that really surprised me when I saw it years ago.

Bernie- Another great dark comedy with an excellent performance by Jack Black. Based on a true story, if you watch it all of the "interviews" with the people in town were actual people from the town where it happened talking about the real incident.

It's a disaster- Great little ensemble comedy about a group of friends stuck together when a quarantine happens. Dont think heavy sci-fi, think about how a bunch of people would act if they knew the world may be ending. This is not that Seth Rogen movie.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Kung Fu Hustle -- Stephen Chow at his best

One of my favorite movies.

Have you seen shaolin soccer? I believe you can get that on Netflix too.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Movies
Kung Fu Hustle -- Stephen Chow at his best
Big Trouble in Little China -- A John Carpenter action comedy deftly turning the white guy needs to save us trope on its head
5th Element -- One cup comedy + a pinch of scifi and a dash of Die Hard
The God of Cookery -- Stephen Chow at his weirdest
Stardust -- Hey, is that the guy from Daredevil and why is Robert De Niro dancing in a dress?
Hot Fuzz -- Edgar Wright, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg's dark take on the buddy cop genre
The Great Escape and then watch Chicken Run
Shows
Daredevil -- It's got pinball!
IT Crowd -- Have you tried turning it off and on again (a must for anyone that has ever worked in IT)
The Guild -- MMO distilled
Luther - Not your typical English crime drama
Cosmos -- A bit of science nerdery

Great list! I've seen most of those and agree completely.

Stardust was a nice gem I knew nothing about and really enjoyed it. Robert De Niro was really funny and I can always look at MIchelle Pfiefer.

Hot Fuzz is even better if you've seen Shawn of the Dead beforehand as there are jokes that carry over.

Definitely will have to check out the ones I haven't seen as you seem to be in tune with my interests including your avatar.

#54 8 years ago

Netflix series 'Peaky Blinders' is really good http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2442560/

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Old Boy - the original movie, not the remake. Simply a must watch if you like horror/trillers..

Love Old Boy. I didn't mind the remake but the fight scenes were very week. Elizabeth Olsen helped... BUT original so much better.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Love Old Boy. I didn't mind the remake but the fight scenes were very week. Elizabeth Olsen helped... BUT original so much better.

Yeah, the remake was kind of pointless. Spike Lee wasn't brave enough to do a similar ending to the original. The only thing I think it did better was explain the villain's motives better. Oh, and I agree about Elizabeth Olsen.

#57 8 years ago

I forgot to add Daredevil and Arrow to my binge list!

#58 8 years ago

Ravenous

#59 8 years ago

This was painful to watch

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

This was painful to watch

Oh yeah. And I thought I was weird.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

They just added The Guest, a really good low-budget thriller/horror movie from the guy who did You're Next. Good stuff.

Interesting, I just noticed The Guest pop up on my Netflix streaming last night. Will give it a shot.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

Not sure if 'Rare Exports', 'Troll Hunter' or 'Let the Right One In' are still on there, but they're great too. The first two are like Tucker and Dale, the last is more moody thriller.

Let the Right One In is a superb film!

People should know that this is a subtitled Swedish vampire film. And like I said, it is superb! Highly recommended.

Troll Hunter is also a really good film that I completely enjoyed.

Since you made two great recommendations I think I can trust your opinion, so I will see if I can give Rare Exports a try.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Also, some other great ones that I just checked and are still up:
Sushi Girl. The less I say, the better. It's fantastic.
Honeymoon was an fresh thriller, not sure if that's what you're referring to.
Oculus was also incredible. Really reminded me of House of Leaves or a really good Lovecraft story.
Danger 5.
Welcome to the Jungle. Quite funny.

I appreciate the recs - watched Oculus last night. For what it was, a supernatural/horror movie, I thought it was very good. It just so happens that I'm not really into that genre, unfortunately. I guess my idea of a great thriller is The Fugitive, so less supernatural/horror and more mystery/suspense.

To see what others are watching on Netflix, this is a pretty decent site:

http://instantwatcher.com/

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I guess my idea of a great thriller is The Fugitive, so less supernatural/horror and more mystery/suspense.

"He had a mechanical arm! You find this man!"

Haha. Seriously though, if the fugitive is your bag, hit up Manchurian Candidate, or Old Boy that was mentioned before. Old boy definitely is darker, but definitely a thriller.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

"He had a mechanical arm! You find this man!"
Haha. Seriously though, if the fugitive is your bag, hit up Manchurian Candidate, or Old Boy that was mentioned before. Old boy definitely is darker, but definitely a thriller.

Old Boy was good, and yes, very dark. Others I liked:

Gone Baby Gone
Blood Work
Se7en
Jennifer 8
The Spanish Prisoner
No Way Out
Usual Suspects
Identity
Shutter Island
The Prestige
The Illusionist
LA Confidential
The Game

Unfortunately I'm guessing most of those are not on Netflix right now.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Gone Baby Gone
Blood Work
Se7en
Jennifer 8
The Spanish Prisoner
No Way Out
Usual Suspects
Identity
Shutter Island
The Prestige
The Illusionist
LA Confidential
The Game

Yeah I'd say at least half of these aren't. If seen most of these. Some great ones in there.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Gone Baby Gone
Blood Work
Se7en
Jennifer 8
The Spanish Prisoner
No Way Out
Usual Suspects
Identity
Shutter Island
The Prestige
The Illusionist
LA Confidential
The Game

Did you seen Gone Girl? I really liked that one.

#68 8 years ago

Went through my "watch it again" list to provide some recs you can actually watch now:

In Bruges
Swingers
Stardust
Leon
Primer
Snowpiercer
The November Man
High Fidelity
Fargo
Stand By Me
Defiance

For stand-up comedy, I highly recommend Gary Gulman's "In This Economy." Very funny and family friendly. Nick Thune's "Folk Hero" is also very funny, but I can't remember if it's 100% family friendly.

Documentaries:
Smartest Guys In The Room
Freakonomics
Cosmos
Particle Fever

TV:
An Idiot Abroad
Black Mirror

#69 8 years ago

It's not a movie, but a site. I recommend checking out instantwatcher.com to find out what to watch on Netflix.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

I probably watched "special when lit" 10 times when it was still streaming.

This full movie is on YouTube if anybody here likes pinball

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

Babadook!
Seriously it's the best non violent horror/suspense film in years.

This movie got a ton of praise, but my wife and I were scratching our heads after as to why? It really brought nothing new to the table, seemed cliché in all of its plot and ending, it wasn't bad, but I thought ho hum all in all.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

Have you guy's seen "The Wild and Wonderful White's of West Virginia"?

This is one of the better documentaries I've seen. Insane movie.

#73 8 years ago

Watched Fortress yesterday, great story.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#74 8 years ago

Damn, I thought you meant Fortress with Christopher Lambert.

#75 8 years ago

TV:

Psych

It's a buddy detective comedy. Really fun show and ended on a good note.

Burn Notice

Fun action show about a burned CIA operative who while trying to get back in the CIA also helps innocent people along the way fight off scam artists, drug lords, etc. Really good for the first 4 seasons, then trails off a little as they go on. I thought the finale was terrible. Made no sense to end it the way they did in my opinion.

#76 8 years ago

Does anyone else use Jetflicks for for streaming shows? They have an app for Roku and AppleTV. The app is poorly designed and has a lousy interface compared to Netflix or Amazon has but they have by far the best selection of current TV shows of any streaming service I've used including Hulu and don't have any ads. They have pretty much everything but the HBO shows and typically get them a day or two after they air. Biggest drawback is that it doesn't allow you to resume a show where you left off and they don't have subtitles. I cut the cord 3-4 years ago and also use Netflix and Amazon for streaming. Those services are great for watching the back catalog of shows but Jetflicks really covers the gap for the most recent shows like the most recent seasons of TWD, Better Call Saul, Homeland, Fargo, Daily Show, etc. that I was missing out on. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is looking for a good way to watch the more recent shows.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Anyone watch Ex Machina yet? I just rented it and loved it.

Just watched it a few nights ago. I really enjoyed it, my wife and son, not so much.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

Just watched it a few nights ago. I really enjoyed it, my wife and son, not so much.

Ex Machina is great! I just watched it last week. I like movies that make you think and having sexy robots doesn't hurt either

It reminded me a little bit of the movie "Moon" with Sam Rockwell which is another one of my favorites. Both movies borrow a lot from Kubrick's "2001" but are all highly enjoyable films.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It reminded me a little bit of the movie "Moon" with Sam Rockwell which is another one of my favorites.

I loved Moon. Got to check out this Ex Machina too I guess then.

#80 8 years ago

If it is still available, Hairbrained features Fish Tales in a supporting role.

#81 8 years ago

I watched Oculus last night. Very well done overall. The ending was a slight letdown for me as I saw it coming a mile away. Still definitely worth watching if you like the genre.

If you guys want to see a few of the great early cinema masterpieces, check out Nosferatu and Metropolis which are both currently available via streaming.

#82 8 years ago

There are a few versions of Metropolis floating around on streaming, at one point they had the "original" pre-2010 rediscovery rerelease as well as the extended version and one or two different versions of the score.

The first time I ever saw Nosferatu, I was listening to Antics by Interpol on a loop and the film and alboum are forever linked in my head. Still hear the lyrics running in the background when I watch it. Kind of weird, but it works.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is also available streaming and definitely worth a watch if you enjoy 20s films.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

There are a few versions of Metropolis floating around on streaming, at one point they had the "original" pre-2010 rediscovery rerelease as well as the extended version and one or two different versions of the score.

I just checked and the only one that currently comes up for me is the "Metropolis Restored" version, which is the best way to go IMO.

#84 8 years ago

Wet Hot American Summer!!! ...and then watch the PREQUEL series that debuts tomorrow where everyone is still playing teenagers even though they're 15 years older lol

wet-hot-american-summer-poster.jpgwet-hot-american-summer-poster.jpg

wethot.jpgwethot.jpg

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

They just added The Guest, a really good low-budget thriller/horror movie from the guy who did You're Next. Good stuff.

This was way better than I could have expected!

This film is a great example of how it is actually possible to take an average story line and make an excellent movie out of it. This was just very, very well crafted. There was enough intelligence and slow buildup to keep you genuinely interested in what was going to happen next. They actually kind of mix several different genre's into this one, some obvious, some much more subtle (there is a scifi overtone to part of it).

Highly recommended.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wet Hot American Summer!!! ...and then watch the PREQUEL series that debuts tomorrow where everyone is still playing teenagers even though they're 15 years older lol

I'll second this. The 8-part series that just came out is pretty funny.

#87 8 years ago

Hardware is a pretty good movie if you are into the-future-is-a-wasteland type of movies. I watched it years ago and really liked it. When I saw it was available on Netflix I decided to rewatch it. Not sure it holds up 100%, but still interesting and well shot for its time

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Any good Rob? The ratings on it were a tad low so I haven't taken the plunge yet.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I watched the first few episodes and it was pretty awful IMO.

Quoted from MrBellMan:

I liked it a lot, but they took the entire first season to explain what was happening to each of them and how they could communicate with each other.

I thought Sense8 was one of the most entertaining and well crafted shows I've seen in a long time. The cinematography is breathtaking. Everything was shot on location in eight different cities throughout the world. Yes, the plot is slow at first, but that's typical of J. Michael Straczynski's work. I read that he had a five season story ark mapped out before they started.

#89 8 years ago

Whoa! JMS did Sense8? Adding to my queue now....

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

But the Wachowskis (sp?) are involved too. I watched the first ep weeks ago and just haven't been motivated yet to watch more. I'm sure I will eventually but the first ep IMO wasn't all that good. I'm sure it all comes together after a few more, hopefully.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Yep. It's a joint venture between JMS and the Wachowskis.

Quoted from HFK:

I watched the first ep weeks ago and just haven't been motivated yet to watch more. I'm sure I will eventually but the first ep IMO wasn't all that good. I'm sure it all comes together after a few more, hopefully.

It can definitely feel a bit plodding at first, but once everything starts to click, it moves along at a pretty brisk pace. I'd say you need to give it at least four episodes. If you are still not enjoying it, then it's obviously not the show for you.

#92 8 years ago

Well I did enjoy the first Matrix. Lol

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

But the Wachowskis (sp?) are involved too. I watched the first ep weeks ago and just haven't been motivated yet to watch more. I'm sure I will eventually but the first ep IMO wasn't all that good. I'm sure it all comes together after a few more, hopefully.

It's terrible in my opinion. Complete waste of time

#94 8 years ago

not on Netflix... but it is over on YouTube...

KUNG FURY!!!!!!

best 30 minutes of my life the David hasselhoff / Mitch murder music video kicks ass too.

#95 8 years ago

Grandma's Boy

#96 8 years ago

Only 1 movie to watch on Netflix and that's Wolfcop!!!! You're welcome in advance.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#97 8 years ago

Tucker and Dale vs Evil and Dead Snow are both awesome!

#98 8 years ago

Just started Twin Peaks. It's... different.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Ex Machina is great! I just watched it last week. I like movies that make you think and having sexy robots doesn't hurt either
It reminded me a little bit of the movie "Moon" with Sam Rockwell which is another one of my favorites. Both movies borrow a lot from Kubrick's "2001" but are all highly enjoyable films.

Loved Ex Machina and Moon was great too. I don't remember "Moon" playing at the theater, but when I found it on cable I was pleasantly surprised.

"Ex Machina" could have been marketed better. Really well acted and great movie for a first time director. Alex Garland made a really good Sci-Fi movie. I was forgetting Ava wasn't real.

#100 8 years ago

is ex machina on Netflix??

Quoted from Dewey68:

Loved Ex Machina and Moon was great too. I don't remember "Moon" playing at the theater, but when I found it on cable I was pleasantly surprised.
"Ex Machina" could have been marketed better. Really well acted and great movie for a first time director. Alex Garland made a really good Sci-Fi movie. I was forgetting Ava wasn't real.

There are 535 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-recommend-netflix-instant-watch-movies-here/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.