Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mizzou0103
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SAM_1967.JPG
    IMG_20121123_212139.jpg
    IMG_20121123_212128.jpg
    gameroom5.jpg
    gameroom_1.jpg
    gameroom2.jpg
    gameroom4.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    indy5002.jpg
    indy500.jpg
    photo(3).JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Thought I'd post some pics and info on my racing / gaming cockpit.

Cockpit itself is an Obutto. Awesome set-up for the money. Super sturdy construction that won't move during gaming. Chair itself is a racing style seat. Can be adjusted just like a car seat (moves forwards and back, and also will tilt back). Super comfortable. Side table is adjustable and can be moved to your lap for PC gaming. Very reasonably priced for the quality of the unit.

Its currently running a PS3 (usually with Gran Turismo 5, but can obviously play other games or with other consoles or PC).

Also hooked up a Logitech G27 racing wheel. Comes with a gear shifter and racing pedals that are hard-mounted to the rig. G27 has awesome force feedback (corners are harder to steer in, wheel fights with you as would a real car). Super smooth and quiet wheel. Wheel and shifter mount easily to the cockpit with included clamps (I also put some cheap rubber underneath both to ensure no movement at all).

Has a Yamaha 5.1 receiver for stereo sound. 4 speakers currently hooked up.

Sub is a Buttkicker (which easily clamps under the seat). Actually shakes the chair when you hit corners or skid out. Adds great immersion and realism.

Here is the website if anyone is interested.

http://www.obutto.com/home.html

IMG_0898.JPGIMG_0898.JPG IMG_0896.JPGIMG_0896.JPG IMG_0894.JPGIMG_0894.JPG

#2 11 years ago

That's pretty cool

#3 11 years ago

Cockpit also has VESA mounts to attach a monitor or TV. I hooked up an LG 1080p LCD and its very solid. No movement during play.

I also hate stray cables, so I either strapped them to the cockpit with black velcro straps, or ran them under the carpet.

IMG_0881.JPGIMG_0881.JPG IMG_0889.JPGIMG_0889.JPG

#4 11 years ago

sheesh, I probably don't wanna know what that costs. Of course in a pinball forum, we probably wouldn't be shocked

#5 11 years ago

Nice setup... like the seat. Time to upgrade your wheel!

http://www.fanatec.de/

IMG_0329.JPGIMG_0329.JPG photo(3).JPGphoto(3).JPG

#6 11 years ago

My Bro should chime in when hes around, he has a dedicated system with shakers very similar to yours. I just slide mine in and out from my PC but still have triple screens.

Try iRacing for PC, I'm not active as much anymore by my brother and cousin race all the time and it was a blast. Decent community of drivers, much better than you will EVER see on PS3 or 360.

http://www.iracing.com/

Thanks for posting that cockpit... 359 is not bad at all. I have a playseat and it does have slight movement to it, not sure if I want to drop the coin or reinforce it somehow.

#7 11 years ago

Nice,

I am in the middle of a build myself right now (and 4 pin projects too)... Same setup basically, but a little more work. G27 (I like the fanatec, but didnt want to strip the shifter off the wheel for my setup), PS3 and PC, 42" LCD monitor and an Indy 500 cab to house everything.

I had to disassemble the wheel to get it behind the I500 bezel, and a little dremeling to get the shifter to sit directly in the old shifter spot, but all in all, I really like the look. People dont know it is a sim cab, they think it is an Indy 500.

I will get some more pics when I am done... here are pics of the cabinet before I start outfitting it...

indy500.jpgindy500.jpg indy5002.jpgindy5002.jpg

#8 11 years ago

Wow Ralphwiggum, that looks like a lot of work. But I think it will be really cool when its all done.

Paulyb18 - I have seen the Fanatec line-up. Looks awesome, and the reviews on it are great. It certainly is the next step up in sim racing. I have thought about switching over, but there are a few issues (shifter for one, mounting on wheel on the obutto is a bit of a pain in the ass and needs a bit of modifications, etc). But the nice thing about the Fanatec (other than the awesome quality) is that you can use it for both PS3 and Xbox 360. I didn't go with the 3 monitor view (would have loved to), but I am not a PC gamer. 3 screens when using a PS3 requires 3 PS3s and 3 copies of the game. Just can't justify that.

This is an AWESOME site that tells you all you need to know about wheels, pedals, rigs, everything sim related. It rates the cockpits and other items. And the guys really know their stuff. I learned a lot there.

http://www.insidesimracing.tv/

I'm happy to provide more info or pics if anyone is interested. I built one for a close friend for cost. It starts out not too bad cost wise, but gets up there as you add stuff.

Cockpit is about $370
    G27 wheel, shifter and pedals $250
    PS3 $250 (+games)
    LCD screen $300
    Not necessary, but a good receiver and speakers is around $3-500. Make sure you get a receiver with a separate sub line out for the Buttkicker. Its about $150 or so but needs the sub out.

So all in, same as mine, you are around $1500-2000. But that is with good equipment, and full force feedback and vibration. To me, its worth the extra few hundred to get the full fun experience.

#10 11 years ago

I'm out of town, and these are the only pics I have on my phone. I have a fanatec turbo s and clubsport pedals. I agree, the shifter is not the best, but it'll do until the clubsport shifter is released.

I race on iracing for pc.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#11 11 years ago

That's a temp setup until I have time to build a better rig. Check out this site: thewayiplay.com

#12 11 years ago

Nice... here's mine. logitec G27 on a wheelstandpro base (folds up nicely when not in use, very stable, and relatively inexpensive). I use it mostly for iRacing. Used my spare racing seats (from my racecar) on display stands that I got from a friend (works at a motorsports supplier). Set-up works great, as the seats are movable for floor space for the shoot-em-up console games, and you don't lose as much floor space as with a dedicated racing sim. The Bose sub kicks butt. Unfortunately, my kids get much more "seat time" on mario kart then I get on iRacing these days.

gameroom4.jpggameroom4.jpg gameroom2.jpggameroom2.jpg gameroom_1.jpggameroom_1.jpg gameroom5.jpggameroom5.jpg

2 weeks later
    #13 11 years ago

Wow Ralphwiggum, that looks like a lot of work. But I think it will be really cool when its all done.

Well, it is done, but it was worth the work. It wasn't too bad, the most time consumed was taking apart the wheel to fit it into the housing. I got a chance to finish it a couple of weeks ago while I was waiting on parts for other projects....

Here are a couple of crappy cell phone pics....

IMG_20121123_212128.jpgIMG_20121123_212128.jpg IMG_20121123_212139.jpgIMG_20121123_212139.jpg

#14 11 years ago

Looks great Ralph. Love the top display which I assume says "don't drink and drive" rather than just "don't drink"

I haven't done it yet as I rarely drink, but one day I'd like to get pretty drunk and try driving in the cockpit and see how I do. Maybe I am like Johnny Fever (WKRP) and get better the more I drink.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

Looks great Ralph. Love the top display which I assume says "don't drink and drive" rather than just "don't drink"

Thanks.... It is just a betabrite sign I program with different things.... Right now it scrolls-

"Don't drink and drive unless you think you can beat these times" and then I have best track times for different games listed...

The wheel and pedals definitely make racing way more fun than the regular controller...

#16 11 years ago

I'm on iRacing as well, but not as often as I would like. Just to let you know they are having a deal that ends tonight, $49 for the year which is a hell of a price. I was checking my old purchases from iRacing, and it used to be $156 a year.

#17 11 years ago

I bought my InitialD cab after looking on CL for about 18months. The guy hooked my up with just about everything, but the plastic for the marguee (I made my own, but imperfect). I converted it into a PS3 racing cab with extra goodies
    I had to do some cabinet work: make my front panel, sanding, patching, painting but that was no big deal.

SAM_1967.JPGSAM_1967.JPG

8 years later
    #18 2 years ago

Resurrecting an old thread. I want to add a sit down driving games to my home arcade. I’m a total novice to this side of things. If I want a set up where folks can race against each other, is it possible with two gaming cockpits? Or do I need to get two dedicated sit down driving cabinets? If it’s possible, is it clunky to race against each other? Like would you need to set up an online race or can it be done locally with very few steps?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-racing-gaming-cockpit?hl=mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.