6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bobukcat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have a question for those of you home stereo knowledge.
    I want to mount waterproof outdoor speakers for my backyard and patio. Because of the size of the yard, I want to run two sets of identical speakers at the same time.

Specs here:
    Power Range (watts) 10-200
    Sensitivity 92 dB
    Impedance (ohms) 8
    Frequency Response 40-30k Hz

It has been decades since I was into this stuff and don't remember the details.
    What specifically do I need to look for on the back/spec sheet of a receiver/amp to sufficiently power these at the same time?
    I think I need: A+B: 8 Ohms min at speaker, 100RMS per channel @ 8 Ohms, etc...
    Thanks,
    Dan

#2 6 years ago

That's about right, you'll need to make sure that your receiver / AVR / Amp has two discrete amps, one for each set of speakers (A+B), depending on how much you want to rock-out you may want more than 100 Watts RMS though, 150 would still be safe and give you a little more oomph. The other thing to look out for is what source(s) you are going to want to run to the speakers, a lot of AVRs will only do digital (HDMI, Optical, etc.) to one out of the two zones, or two out of the three. So if you want to run an HDMI source to both sets of speakers make sure your Receiver / AMP / AVR will do so.

#3 6 years ago

Thank you. I think 100w will do since I have neighbors on all sides. Keeping it simple Mainly want radio playing with ipod on the line in. I don't want to spend $500 on a receiver so am looking on clist for a used one. But I need to ensure it can power four 8 ohm speakers. Trying to remember how to read the specs.

#4 6 years ago

8 ohm speakers are very common so I wouldn't worry about that as long as it has four channels and not just two and that they can be run concurrently (A+B rather than A or B).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-powering-outdoor-speakers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.