Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider raisindot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 10 years ago

I think yours could be an uphill battle. First, you need a 'family friendly' location. This usually means higher rents. The coffee and free wi-fi thing might turn your place into yet another "pay $2.00 for a coffee and sit there on my laptop all day" place. If you serve food (like baked goods), then you have the problem of chocolate-smeared hands gumming up your machines.

I also doubt you could make it with pinball machines alone. Arcades rely on "kid gambling" machines for most of their revenue. Without these games you're unlikely to draw the families whose toy-greedy kids bring in the revenue. At the two best pinball-equipped arcades up here in NE, the machines remain mostly unused whenever I go there--the kid gambling machines get all the use. The owners of the places also do pinball repair and sales on the side, since it's really almost impossible to survive on arcade revenue alone.

And if you want pinball to be the main draw, you need to have a good selection of new and/or A-list machines and you need to maintain them if you want repeat business. There's a guy in my state who just opened an arcade with 10 mosty 70s era E-Ms and charges $7 unlimited free play. I went there once and got bored in a half hour. The one employee said that the most people the place ever had in a single day was 30--that $210 gross revenue. Weekdays they're luck to get 10-15 people all day. Not exactly a booming business.

I really respect the people who do set up arcades with a good selection of A and B list machines and rely on that business as their sole income. It can't be easy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider raisindot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-pondering-opening-an-arcade-in-nnj?tu=raisindot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.