Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PinballAir
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181225_160034 (resized).jpg
    69C75C1C-03FF-44F9-8643-8D8E5B82D606 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aladdin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Just bought this Opal Nugget Ice Machine (by FirstBuild) and wanted to post here since we all enjoy Game Room gadgets.

My bride always wants “Sonic Ice” in her Margaritas and I finally pulled the trigger at Home Depot. I must admit, I only paid $300 for the unit as it was on clearance. Normally it’s $500. It does come with a One Year Warranty.

My first impression was the heft of the unit coming in at around 44lbs. This is not some Magic Chef table top ice maker (no offense if you own one and love it). It’s built extremely well and came with clear instructions. Once I cleaned it, it began making ice in the promised 15 mins. It comes with a Bluetooth App which allows you to turn the machine on/off, set a schedule, run diagnostics, update firmware, etc. The Circle LED can change colors and indicate the status of the machine.
    The ice melts and the unit recycles the water. That said, the bin held ice overnight.

How’s the ice? It’s great! I bought a bag of Sonic Ice the same day I bought the Opal. I wanted to compare the two. I read another review that the Opal ice is 30% bigger. This is true as it pertains to length as the Opal ice doesn’t break up like the Sonic Ice. The girth is the same.
    Ok, that was weird.
    I used filtered water from the fridge, but there is a filter you can buy from FirstBuild if you need to. They are also building a side tank. I haven’t figured out how to hook it up to a water supply just yet!

The unit does make noise so I wouldn’t plop it on your kitchen counter if you’re like me and love your quiet Bosh Dishwasher.

I’ve only run it two nights now, but I’m a fan. So if you love Chewable Nugget Ice, don’t hesistate to get this.

69C75C1C-03FF-44F9-8643-8D8E5B82D606 (resized).jpeg69C75C1C-03FF-44F9-8643-8D8E5B82D606 (resized).jpeg
    #3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Did you find it in store?

Yes, I used the Home Depot Mobile Website and it told me what stores still had them in stock. It even told me which stores had them marked Clearance.

I got very lucky as one of the two units in Clearance was still in the box. My right bottom corner was dented, but not bad.

I’m seeing on FirstBuild’s website they are $450 and $499 at Home Depot.

I should also mention I pre-ordered the $49 Side Tank that will increase ice production 3X.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

I just thought ice was ice. What is the HoopLa about this ice. I assume they are both cold ?

Seems to be very popular with the ladies. Made Margs last night for my Bride and her Mom. They were both so flipping happy to have chewable soft ice in their drinks. I’m a hero! So much so that they didn’t see the new pinball machine I was moving into the basement.

#6 5 years ago

Oh, so my Father-In-Law looks at me like, “great job ahole” and so he ordered one to pick up when they get back home.

My Mother In Law gave him a big hug and now he’s a hero.

#10 5 years ago

It’s ice that’s been MODIFIED!!!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from scootie:

You can get an under counter ice maker that hooks up to a water supply and makes around 40 lb/day from Scotsman. My wife swears by the Sonic type ice as well. We had the opal machine, and it needs to be cleaned every couple of weeks or starts to squeal pretty badly. The Scotsman unit only has to be cleaned every 6 months or so. However, it cost 6 times as much.

I'm curious, did you filter your water before filling the Opal or did you use tap water?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

Thanks for the review. Been looking at one of these for awhile, but like so many other things, it will likely have to wait for a house upgrade. Do they happen to make a slightly smaller size?

it's probably as small as you could possibly make a "nugget ice" machine. There are smaller table top ice machines out there, but they make the same crappy ice that refrigerators do.

I will warn again that this thing puts out some noise when it's making ice. I'm lucky to have a little bar nook that muffles the sound.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Amazon has them for $435, not too bad of a price. BUT a lot of 1 star reviews of machines breaking after just a few days or weeks and terrible customer service.......I want one but all those 1 star reviews are holding me back.

I’m going to let this thing run 24/7 to see what happens. I’m curious if the majority of issues were people using tap water, not cleaning the unit, blocking the vents, etc. This isn’t a set it and forget it machine. It needs to be maintained.
    That said, I wonder how long the pump and compressor will truly last.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aladdin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-opal-nugget-ice-machine?tu=Aladdin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.