nose-swipe.gif
5CD8BE91-06DC-4095-8B61-F18E6DC7BB6E.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
carmichael.gif
giggle-laugh.gif

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 75,759 posts in this topic. You are on page 588 of 1,516.
#29351 3 years ago

Friday night throw down challenge: (this isn't trivia)

I'm going to lay out some possible parameters, but I will not rank or weight them. YOU get to choose what matters most in this challenge.

Make your argument for what NFL city is suffering the MOST right now as an NFL fan (you don't have to live there). I reviewed some "big data lists" and I don't agree with any results so far.

Here are possible parameters to use to make the argument:

* longest time since super bowl or championship WIN
* time since super bowl or championship win / time franchise in existence (as a ratio)
* longest time since super bowl or championship APPEARANCE
* time since super bowl or championship appearance / time franchise in existence (as a ratio)
* longest time since just winning ANY playoff game
* longest time since just appearing in ANY playoff game

and whatever else you want to use to measure it -- make your argument FOR or AGAINST a city/team. Prepare to be countered by someone else...

#29352 3 years ago

I'm gonna open with NOT the Browns. They were a dynasty from (1946-69). Winners. Lifetime Win/Loss is .491 -- They just won a playoff game. Are they overdue to reach a super bowl? yes, but It's not like they NEVER had a dynasty with many championship wins, less than half the teams in the NFL ever had a dynasty...

#29353 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Friday night throw down challenge: (this isn't trivia)
I'm going to lay out some possible parameters, but I will not rank or weight them. YOU get to choose what matters most in this challenge.
Make your argument for what NFL city is suffering the MOST right now as an NFL fan (you don't have to live there). I reviewed some "big data lists" and I don't agree with any results so far.
Here are possible parameters to use to make the argument:
* longest time since super bowl or championship WIN
* time since super bowl or championship win / time franchise in existence (as a ratio)
* longest time since super bowl or championship APPEARANCE
* time since super bowl or championship appearance / time franchise in existence (as a ratio)
* longest time since just winning ANY playoff game
and whatever else you want to use to measure it -- make your argument FOR or AGAINST a city/team. Prepare to be countered by someone else...

Lions. What's the next challenge?

#29354 3 years ago

hahaha what's your case for the Lions?
They just went to the playoffs 3 times in the last 10 years (3/10=30%), that's just under par with where any average team should be (6/16=38%).

#29355 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Lions. What's the next challenge?

Yeah, I think this discussion is over. I don’t think you have to even post why. Every football fan is familiar with this story. Poor Barry Sanders. Poor Megatron. Forced into early retirement at the top of their game. We were deprived of their greatness because of ford family.

I will make this one exception to my rule. If you live in Detroit or the surrounding area, I give you my blessing to pick another team to root for. That team doesn’t deserve to have fans. Them and the chargers.

#29356 3 years ago

Chargers ?!?!?! Chargers ?!?!?!

1960-2020 (60 years)
Dan Fouts took them to back to back championship games, 80 81...
They made a Super Bowl with the great Stan Humphries in the 94 season
.498 win rate out of 32 teams...
They got a brand new stadium...

Wow just wow !

#29357 3 years ago

Don't they play on thanksgiving ever year? Who's complaining now ???

#29358 3 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

That interview made Adam gase interview look good. What a shitshow the organization is.

Yeah (as you know) the GM is known for scouting which Detroit is historically poor at, so everyone kind of let that one go...but then this happened.

#29359 3 years ago

Do they have to have won a title? Jacksonville seems dismal to me.

They started giving up home games to go to London. They only got competitive once in a zillion years after overpaying for every defensive FA available. They havent had even an average qb since Brunell. Every decent player they draft demands a trade before playing out his rookie contract. The stadium attendance has looked like covid numbers for years.

#29360 3 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Jacksonville

.425 win/loss record 2nd only to TB @ .395 !!!
Lost Championship games under Bortles and another under Burnell... Patriots took 'em
been to playoffs 7/25 years = 28% quite a bit under 38% average rate.

Worse to be a Jags fan or Lions fan?

#29361 3 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Do they have to

No rules, for this smack down challenge, you make the rules, even a meme can win the argument.

#29362 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Chargers ?!?!?! Chargers ?!?!?!
1960-2020 (60 years)
Dan Fouts took them to back to back championship games, 80 81...
They made a Super Bowl with the great Stan Humphries in the 94 season
.498 win rate out of 32 teams...
They got a brand new stadium...
Wow just wow !

They were in one of the worst Super Bowls ever. Had no chance and it was close for maybe a minute or two. They have had a lot of talented rosters over the years, but they’re a schleprock. They always find a way to screw things up. The phrase “snatch defeat from the jaws of victory” applies to them almost as much as it does to the lions. And they don’t have a new stadium. They’re squatters. Who’s house! Rams house!

06771A88-10FE-4C53-8537-9E88336E4138 (resized).jpeg06771A88-10FE-4C53-8537-9E88336E4138 (resized).jpeg
#29363 3 years ago

you mean it's not a 50/50 split like Jets-Giants?

#29364 3 years ago

Chargers belong in San Diego as always.

#29365 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

you mean it's not a 50/50 split like Jets-Giants?

No. Rams owner used his own money to build the stadium. Edit: maybe his wife’s money. She’s a walmart heir. In order for the Rams to move back to LA he had to not only give up a home game each year to play in England or Mexico, he had to let the chargers play there. His little dig is of course the “who’s house! Rams house!” Motto.

#29366 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Hmmm....really fair question.

I feel like the jags have higher highs, but maybe lower lows? They've obviously have more playoffs wins, but overall, not counting the the Brunell/smith/taylor/Mccardell years they've probably had more shitty seasons...? Dont know without looking into it .

#29367 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Probably on the whole Jags. Lions fans got to enjoy a legendary RB at least. As a fan I would take that over a couple championship game losses.

So another thought is a Cards fan in StL. They lose their team, get another eventually great team, then lose it too.

Lots of bum franchises out there. As a fan of one it's hard to pick.

#29368 3 years ago

So by the fan misery index alone... The Super Bowl winner should be:

The Bills? (with no SB wins and 4 appearances)
or
The Bucs? (with the worst win/loss ratio of all time: .395, with 1 appearance and 1 win) -- (but they are 16 years younger than the Bills too...)

#29369 3 years ago

No way not TB. If we're giving Cleveland a pass due to recent success then TB should get the same. They at least have a title some people can remember.

#29370 3 years ago

No I didn't mean all-time I just meant for this super bowl -- which fan base is in more misery between those 2

#29371 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

No I didn't mean all-time I just meant for this super bowl -- which fan base is in more misery between those 2

My bad I would say Buffalo then.

#29372 3 years ago

Bills is worse.

It's worse to be that close and lose again & again; eXpecaily when only the first one was close. If they were all close it might be diff'rent.

#29373 3 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

No way not TB. If we're giving Cleveland a pass due to recent success then TB should get the same. They at least have a title some people can remember.

Agreed.... My entire childhood was nothing but sadness and despair watching my team get destroyed week in and week out.

When I became an adult and Tony Dungy became our savior, things turned around forever.

That "Gruden" super bowl win is something I will remember forever.

#29374 3 years ago

GB -vs- Bills SB!

#29375 3 years ago

Agreed...Impact players-Aaron Jones GB//Stefon Diggs Bills.These may turn out to be 2 classic conference championship games.

#29376 3 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Agreed...Impact players-Aaron Jones GB//Stefon Diggs Bills.These may turn out to be 2 classic conference championship games.

Until someone can stop Adams, he's the impact player for GB.

#29377 3 years ago

Adams is dominant no doubt.I'm looking for special games from Diggs and Jones to make the difference.

#29378 3 years ago

Every single draft there's an inevitable comparison to Favre. Josh Allen has so far lived up to that comparison.

#29379 3 years ago

Yep, it gets kinda boring. It reveals that out of dozens of combinations of play styles, you can really only identify a few:

We may be looking at the next Jerry Rice/Randy Moss!
We may be looking at the next Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre!

Boring.

How about coming up with a few more names/styles...

#29380 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Well there’s always the Tebow.

#29381 3 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

I hope you're right. If we can get Jones churning I'd feel pretty damn good. I think those LBs are just too quick for us to have much success on the ground. I hope Dillon is healthy enough to be able to give that defense some different looks. I'd really like to see some multi-back sets to challenge their personnel a little.

In the end I think it will take a decent defensive performance (looking for interior pass rush) and a good day from Rodgers to win this.

#29382 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Well there’s always the Tebow.

Jump passes!

#29383 3 years ago

Recipe:

1. get the bucs in the freezing snow
2. no tuck rule to bail tommy out
3. profit

#29384 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Recipe:
1. get the bucs in the freezing snow
2. no tuck rule to bail tommy out
3. profit

I've lived here my whole life. I've also been on vacation. When I get home from vacation from a place that was just 70+ for 5+ days and land back in WI my first thought every time is "holy shit, it's cold.".

Other teams have a chance to get acclimated, but I'm sure it creeps into their psyche at least a little. When the sun sets, you're chilled to the bone, and you're down two scores.. I think you just sort of want to get the fuck out of there (I like to call it the "sledding parable").

We'll see. Unfortunately the forecast isnt quite as cold or snowy as I was hoping. I also think Brady is immune to it, and probably offers +2 defense to teammates within 3 spaces.

#29385 3 years ago

Brady played his whole career in NE where it's cold so not going to alter his game much if at all.

#29386 3 years ago

Not speaking for the rest of the Bucs, but I don’t think Tom Brady could have played in 9 SBs (so far) if he had any issues playing in cold weather....that dude is FOCUSED on a football field (until he forgets it’s 4th down ).

#29387 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Yep, it gets kinda boring. It reveals that out of dozens of combinations of play styles, you can really only identify a few:
We may be looking at the next Jerry Rice/Randy Moss!
We may be looking at the next Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre!
Boring.

Its cute when college players get compared to the betas you mentioned. Its because no one would dare compare anyone to a true GOAT.

elKVIQu (resized).jpgelKVIQu (resized).jpg
#29388 3 years ago

Little game of "telephone" there. I specifically said "bucs" -- not brady -- we all know he's used to the snow.

Ed O'Neill of the Pittsburgh Steelers, 1968? -- I linked it a few pages back.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-legend-of-al-bundy-and-the-time-the-steelers-actually-signed-ed-oneill/

#29389 3 years ago

Antonio Brown out tomorrow, seemed like him and Brady were just getting on the same page.

#29390 3 years ago

24 hour countdown!

#29391 3 years ago

Breaking: Stafford to niners for 1st round*

rumor only?*

yes just in the running.

#29392 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Breaking: Stafford to niners for 1st round*
rumor only?*
yes just in the running.

One first round pick? I think it will take more than one 1st. Tough guy good QB deserved a shot on a non lions team.

#29394 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

One first round pick? I think it will take more than one 1st. Tough guy good QB deserved a shot on a non lions team.

I was hoping rumors of Broncos trade for Stafford would materialize. But maybe they’re out of the running now?

#29395 3 years ago

Stafford spotted at Logan airport

#29396 3 years ago

It will be cool to see Stafford in a different situation. Good for the Lions to start fresh too.

#29397 3 years ago

Dak to Detroit!

#29398 3 years ago

He did his time here, he's earned it.
Surprised the Fords let him go but they must know its a full overhaul with Cambells 6 year contract.

Uff.

I'm half expecting this insane person to announce Bill Romanowski and the strength coach.

#29399 3 years ago

Hoping I get home from work tonight in time to catch the last qtr of the Bills victory.

#29400 3 years ago

GO BILLS!!

OUR TIME DAMMIT!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
$ 18.95
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Boards
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 75,759 posts in this topic. You are on page 588 of 1,516.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-official-2013-2014-nfl-thread/page/588?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.