pasted_image (resized).png
giggle-laugh.gif
tempFileForShare_20240418-181612 (resized).jpg
dirtbag-sees-all (resized).jpg
brimstone-gotbrim.gif
200w.gif
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 75,700 posts in this topic. You are on page 474 of 1,514.
#23651 3 years ago

Is who Dey quitting football again?!

Over the redskins name?!?!

LMAO

As a redskins fan for 40 years, you know what FINALLY convinced me it was time to change the name, after decades of it rattling around in my head?

When I saw the type of people who were the most opposed to changing the name, and the moronic opinions they offered why. I was like...dude...are you REALLY gonna be on the same side as these people?! They are using the same dumb arguments they use to justify all sorts of other stupid, backwards, regressive things I hate.

The answer of course was no, I can’t lower myself to that level and embrace these kinds of divisive politics just to cling to a stupid name. These people aren’t even redskins fans and they are dying on this hill, just to, you know, piss people off.

I Knew it was time to just let it go.

#23652 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO
As a redskins fan for 40 years, you know what FINALLY convinced me it was time to change the name, after decades of it rattling around in my head?
When I saw the type of people who were the most opposed to changing the name, and the moronic opinions they offered why. I was like...dude...are you REALLY gonna be on the same side as these people?! They are using the same dumb arguments they use to justify all sorts of other stupid, backwards, regressive things I hate.
The answer of course was no, I can’t lower myself to that level and embrace these kinds of divisive politics just to cling to a stupid name. These people aren’t even redskins fans and they are dying on this hill, just to, you know, piss people off.

He’s not quitting over the redskins name, it’s the black national anthem.

#23653 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Yeah, thin skin is endemic in America these days. Like there was a guy in this thread a while back who was mortally offended that Jay-Z got to sit in the owners box and was going to quit watching the NFL since they were no longer catering to his views. There’s no pleasing some people, am I right?

I never said anything about Jay Z sitting in the owners box. I just said the NFL was stupid for hiring him because he's a clown.

#23654 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

It's not really even that. Its because I dont want racial politics in my football and I will not support a sport that lets players kneel during our national anthem. I love this country and our veterans too much to support that. If that's a bad thing then just shoot me I guess.

#23655 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

An equally dumb reason to quit watching football for the 5th time.

#23656 3 years ago

I'm a lifetime Bengals fan, I quit every week it's the only way I stave off suicide.

#23657 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

An equally dumb reason to quit watching football for the 5th time.

Respecting my country and our veterans is not dumb. You should try it sometime.

#23658 3 years ago

I love football, and no way would I ever stop watching.

However, I do tend to tune in a few minutes late to every game, because I do not care to see what they do, or don't do before the game starts.

#23659 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Respecting my country and our veterans is not dumb. You should try it sometime.

Pretty sure this has been covered somewhere at least once before...but they're not kneeling to disrespect the flag or army veterans.. 'Murrca!

#23660 3 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Pretty sure this has been covered somewhere at least once before...but they're not kneeling to disrespect the flag or army veterans.. 'Murrca!

That’s what drew brees says!

#23661 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's not really even that. Its because I dont want racial politics in my football and I will not support a sport that lets players kneel during our national anthem. I love this country and our veterans too much to support that. If that's a bad thing then just shoot me I guess.

Would you watch football if no national anthem was shown on tv? Sports is weird because it is literally the only time you see the national anthem being played.

#23662 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Would you watch football if no national anthem was shown on tv? Sports is weird because it is literally the only time you see the national anthem being played.

A big fan like w-d ?! Oh ya

bbfc00cb7f856bf73abbdc9ac3b809c7-1 (resized).jpgbbfc00cb7f856bf73abbdc9ac3b809c7-1 (resized).jpg
#23663 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Imo anthems should only be played in international competitions. But I accept from the NFLs perspective it generates a commercial break or two.

#23664 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

why is that weird?

#23665 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

why is that weird?

I know that the history of the NA started after WW1 during the World Series, and other sports started picking up the trend, but I find it weird that you don't see it before other entertainment venues. Why sports only?

#23666 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I know that the history of the NA started after WW1 during the World Series, and other sports started picking up the trend, but I find it weird that you don't see it before other entertainment venues. Why sports only?

No idea, but I think its great....not weird at all...its a great tradition

#23667 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Would you watch football if no national anthem was shown on tv?

No

#23668 3 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I know the reason they are kneeling is not to intentionally disrespect our country and our veterans but it DOES disrespect them because they choose to do it during the National Anthem. They need to do that shit on their own time. They dont care enough about it to do it on their own time though because they are too worried about enjoying those millions of dollars that their oppressors are paying them.

#23669 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

because they choose to do it during the National Anthem. They need to do that shit on their own time

If their purpose is to bring attention to their cause, judging by this thread and national reaction, they seem to have figured out the most effective way to do this. CK has lost MILLIONS because of his belief in the cause. Not too many people would make the same decision he did, knowing he would never be able to earn again.

I am not pro/con kneeling for the anthem. It is what it is- an effective tool to keep people discussing what it means, look, we are still doing it here....

On a side note, you wouldn't watch football because they didn't show the anthem? What??

What other sports do you watch?

#23670 3 years ago

I just want to know if people stand and remove their hats in their homes as the anthem plays on tv. Isnt sitting in a lazy boy shoveling beer dip into your gullet more disrespectful than kneeling?

#23671 3 years ago

Terry I’m holding you to this boycott. Don’t be texting me for play by play updates when the season starts.

#23672 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Terry I’m holding you to this boycott. Don’t be texting me for play by play updates when the season starts.

You wont have to worry about it because i seriously wont support it. I will still want the Bengals to do good but i just cant support it if they choose to kneel.

On a side not though i would just like to say to everyone that there is no shame in people who feel like i do about this issue. I mean how can anyone possibly say “that dude is an asshole because he respects his country, the flag, the military, and our veterans?” If anything its a pretty noble thing in my opinion. I mean there could be a lot worse things that a person could stand for thats for sure.

#23673 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I am not pro/con kneeling for the anthem.

I am pro standing for the Anthem. I dont know what makes me this way but it is truly where i draw the line, i just cannot look the other way on this issue. I am also pro National Anthem being played before sporting events, i love it and its important to me. When i used to race cars they would always play the National Anthem before we started racing. I loved that part of the night more than the racing itself, it meant everything to me. Call me weird, i don't care.

#23674 3 years ago

The anthem means different things to different people, clearly it is far more important to some than others. Following up to deacons post, who-dey, do you stand for the anthem when you watch the game at home? If so, do you do it for every game you watch, sometimes three times a day? Please, honest answer only... Trying to figure out if I call you weird or not... Lol

#23675 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

The anthem means different things to different people, clearly it is far more important to some than others. Following up to deacons post, who-dey, do you stand for the anthem when you watch the game at home? If so, do you do it for every game you watch, sometimes three times a day? Please, honest answer only... Trying to figure out if I call you weird or not... Lol

No I dont stand when I'm at home lol. It is still an important part of sporting events for me though. I think it's more of a thing for the people and players that are actually at the event. I will tell you what I do though, anytime I am at a cemetary I always go and pay my respects to our veterans.

#23676 3 years ago

Some more speculation on the future name of the Washington football team ...

Here are the betting odds for the next team name (courtesy of SportsBetting.ag)
Presidents +300
Generals +400
Lincolns +400
Americans +500
Kings +500
Memorials +500
Capitols +600
Veterans +600
Jeffersons +700
Roosevelts +700
Monuments +800
Arlingtons +1000

I’d be surprised if they go with Roosevelts, it’s a crap name and some truly horrific Teddy quotes re: Native Americans have recently resurfaced so it wouldn’t be much of an upgrade in that regard.

#23677 3 years ago

When I think of the singing of the national anthem, Jim Cornelison comes immediately to my mind..he’s one of the best out there..listen to the crowd, just fn amazing..

#23678 3 years ago

That man can sing! Crowd was ready for him! And who-dey! You got passion! & everyone appreciates your respect for the veterans and soldiers! (I sure do)Might not agree where u choose to spend that passionate energy! But I get it. And like you said.. it's just how you are! I definitely think the BLM movement has a valid point. And I'm a white guy from Canada. But if it takes kneeling for them to be heard.. so be it. Shit needs to change! Will it? Who's knows how long it will take..just can't keep ignoring it!

#23679 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Some more speculation on the future name of the Washington football team ...
Here are the betting odds for the next team name (courtesy of SportsBetting.ag)
Presidents +300
Generals +400
Lincolns +400
Americans +500
Kings +500
Memorials +500
Capitols +600
Veterans +600
Jeffersons +700
Roosevelts +700
Monuments +800
Arlingtons +1000
I’d be surprised if they go with Roosevelts, it’s a crap name and some truly horrific Teddy quotes re: Native Americans have recently resurfaced so it wouldn’t be much of an upgrade in that regard.

With the exception of the Jeffersons, these are all terrible. Movin' on up!

I like the Hogs. Nasty and dirty in the swamp that's in DC, and a tribute to the greatest position group in the history of the team, for a decade. I know it's kind of a bad name but whatever, it would rule.

#23680 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I just want to know if people stand and remove their hats in their homes

I just want to know who in the hell wears a hat inside their home? Lol

#23681 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I like the Hogs.

If you call them the Hogs then PETA will get pissed off and protest.

#23682 3 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

That man can sing! Crowd was ready for him! And who-dey! You got passion! & everyone appreciates your respect for the veterans and soldiers! (I sure do)Might not agree where u choose to spend that passionate energy! But I get it. And like you said.. it's just how you are! I definitely think the BLM movement has a valid point. And I'm a white guy from Canada. But if it takes kneeling for them to be heard.. so be it. Shit needs to change! Will it? Who's knows how long it will take..just can't keep ignoring it!

I just dont want any of that crap in my sports is all. The NFL shouldn't allow them to use their platform to protest on.....just my opinion of course. If I were to try to protest something on my job they would throw me out on my damn head!

#23683 3 years ago

I believe in our country and all those who have and will fight for it. I respect and recognize all who have given for our country whether it was with a gun in hand or a sign, the fact they care enough to do whatever they can to support American ideology is enough for me, but in the same breath I will turn my back on anyone who disrespects the Flag and or our country and its people.

The Anthem and the Flag are the visual symbols of our country's struggle to be independent and the vast amount of lives it cost us to birth our nation. We are slowly losing grip on our freedoms and sadly enough some of those freedoms are being trampled by our own peoples. I fought for this country just as many before me did for all Americans regardless of race, creed, or religion and that is why it is a passionate issue for me.

#23684 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If I were to try to protest something on my job they would throw me out on my damn head!

I assume your employer doesn’t require you to stand for the flag before you go to work

#23685 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

I assume your employer doesn’t require you to stand for the flag before you go to work

Yes. The United States Military expects all personnel to stand before the flag and for our national anthem.

#23686 3 years ago

Are the Skins going to change their logo also? It works with Warriors but not so much Roosevelts. Perhaps with tiny eyeglasses

Tbh I like Pigskins. It's relevant to football and kind of funny. Opens up advantages too. Imagine a critical defensive stop and the deafening roar of 80,000 fans crackling bags of pork rinds.

#23687 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

CK has lost MILLIONS because of his belief in the cause.

Let me correct this for you, " CK has made millions because of his belief in the cause" and that is fact. He has made more off just indorsements than he was capable of earning as a player.

I absolutely back his cause, I just don't back how he chose to unveil it.

#23688 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO

I understand what you mean with the "am I going to be on the same side as these people" comment, its a fair point. For me it just seems like things are changing based on whoever screams the loudest, and I really dont like that. I dont think any business should be forced to change anything about their business based on mob mentality. If people are offended, then simply dont support said business. It seems like were listening to each other less and less these days.

Also Who-Dey , cmon man lets not play games. Youll be glued to the TV watching every Joe Burrow snap, its fate.

#23689 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

With the exception of the Jeffersons, these are all terrible. Movin' on up!

So you are offended by the current name due to its racist overtones, yet you would support the name being changed to a TV show that was all about racism only in the reverse direction? I fail to see the difference. Racial overtones are tolerated and even backed but only in certain situations, I find that very revealing.

#23690 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you call them the Hogs then PETA will get pissed off and protest.

Personally I think that name would be fabulous as it would also pay tribute to the coach they just lost who built the best line in football history.

#23691 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

So you are offended by the current name due to its racist overtones, yet you would support the name being changed to a TV show that was all about racism only in the reverse direction? I fail to see the difference. Racial overtones are tolerated and even backed but only in certain situations, I find that very revealing.

He was joking - Jeffersons would refer to Thomas Jefferson, not the TV show, and that “confusion” is one of several reasons that name would never be picked (for obvious reasons they’re not going to base the team name on any historical figure at this point, especially not one that owned slaves).

Though if Washington wants to underscore its irrelevance by naming itself after a 70s TV show, I’m all for it.

#23692 3 years ago

Blackhawks,chiefs,indians are for sure going to get reviewed... heck , throw Cleveland's browns in there too!

#23693 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Like Foss said I was joking.

And to be clear, I’m NOT offended by the name redskins. After all this time I still lack the ability to put myself in the shoes of the Native American activists who have been protesting this for decades. I’m not Native American, I don’t know any native Americans...selfishly, I still don’t really give a shit, personally.

But I understand why it’s time for a change. I guess I’m able to squeeze out just enough empathy to see why it’s wrong to keep it.

And like I said...seeing who is dead set for keeping it, and the arguments they offer up...well it’s enough to convince me that the right decision is to change it.

#23694 3 years ago
Screenshot_20200704-104849~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200704-104849~2 (resized).png
#23695 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Like Foss said I was joking.

And to be clear, I’m NOT offended by the name redskins. After all this time I still lack the ability to put myself in the shoes of the Native American activists who have been protesting this for decades. I’m not Native American, I don’t know any native Americans...selfishly, I still don’t really give a shit, personally.

But I understand why it’s time for a change. I guess I’m able to squeeze out just enough empathy to see why it’s wrong to keep it.

And like I said...seeing who is dead set for keeping it, and the arguments they offer up...well it’s enough to convince me that the right decision is to change it.

I can see why they want it changed that's not hard to understand, I'm just advocating a name that carries no connotations for anyone to complain about.

#23696 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I can see why they want it changed that's not hard to understand, I'm just advocating a name that carries no connotations for anyone to complain about.

I agree. I really hope it’s something that doesn’t suck. The hogs would be great but I guess it’s such a nasty name it wouldn’t work. I haven’t seen it in any speculation stories. Like you said would be an amazing tribute to buges also.

#23697 3 years ago

I'm starting a gofundme page to get Jay-Z to come to this thread, so Who-Dey finally quits it....whom's in ?

#23698 3 years ago

Expert level troll?

Screenshot_20200704-114521_Hangouts (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200704-114521_Hangouts (resized).jpg
#23699 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Expert level troll?
[quoted image]

How could you possibly want to name the team after the losingest squad in pro sports history?

I can’t imagine that one is under serious consideration!

#23700 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How could you possibly want to name the team after the losingest squad in pro sports history?
I can’t imagine that one is under serious consideration!

Hence the troll

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cupertino, CA
850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saratoga Springs, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 75,700 posts in this topic. You are on page 474 of 1,514.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-official-2013-2014-nfl-thread/page/474?hl=stuliss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.