nose-swipe.gif
5CD8BE91-06DC-4095-8B61-F18E6DC7BB6E.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
carmichael.gif
giggle-laugh.gif

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 75,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 412 of 1,516.
#20551 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Who you are is a product of your brain. If parts of your brain have been damaged to that serious of a degree, then yes you can be an asshole because of brain damage.
Thinking that damage to your brain can't cause someone issues is almost hilariously naive.

I KNOW that brain damage affects people's personalities and their judgment but everybody who does stupid shit dont have brain damage either. When did I ever say that brain damage doesn't make people do dumb shit?

A very small percentage of football players have brain damage, that's all that I am saying. Also there are alot of them now jumping on the CTE bandwagon trying to cash in and theres nothing wrong with them. If I truly believed that football was brain damaging tons of people then I would be fighting to have it banned.

#20552 4 years ago

It only takes like 16 NFL players to add up to "tons"...

#20553 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If I truly believed that football was brain damaging tons of people then I would be fighting to have it banned.

While you’re waiting for the jury come in on that one, how’s your campaign against boxing coming along?

#20554 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

While you’re waiting for the jury come in on that one, how’s your campaign against boxing coming along?

I dont watch boxing.

#20555 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont watch boxing.

Not watching and fighting to have it made illegal are two very different things.

#20556 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I KNOW that brain damage affects people's personalities and their judgment but everybody who does stupid shit dont have brain damage either. When did I ever say that brain damage doesn't make people do dumb shit?
A very small percentage of football players have brain damage, that's all that I am saying. Also there are alot of them now jumping on the CTE bandwagon trying to cash in and theres nothing wrong with them. If I truly believed that football was brain damaging tons of people then I would be fighting to have it banned.

Ok, let's think of it this way. You talk about police and military. They also have a pretty severe epidemic in PTSD. Not every one in that community has it, but I'm sure you can recognize that it is a problem. Not every issue can be attributed to PTSD, but as a society it benefits us to approach issues related to that subset of the population with an understanding that their condition may play a role in their behavior. And then, find ways to treat the underlying cause, and in turn reduce the number of problems that population has.

Antonio Brown may be acting this way because its' just who he's always been. But, given what we know about head injuries, and based on what people say about him before and after the burfict hit, it seems at least somewhat likely that CTE is playing a role.

The focus of the judicial system will be to deal with AB. The focus of the NFL and science should be to eliminate CTE, or lessen its impact so other players don't suffer the same fate.

#20557 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You'd have to twist the words pretty badly to reach that conclusion. The comments on this page were specific to AB, who played a concussion-heavy sport his entire life. If we were talking about a 31 year old chef that went off the deep end, most of us would be thinking drugs or latent mental illness, not CTE. And if AB were just facing sexual assault charges or had shouted at his boss one day we'd probably still just take it as a star receiver being an asshole or a diva, nothing out of the ordinary there. But with AB you have a whole package of self-destructive but also often downright weird behavior that suggests something more is going on. Couple that with his known concussion history and the schload of studies showing what football can do to your brain, and what brain damage can do to your behavior, and well ...
If you're still not taking my point, it's that context matters.

Sure it's possible. Or it could be a mix (asshole tendencies plus human decency filter destroyed by shots to the dome) which would be my guess for many cases. But it's also indisputable -- well, you seem to be disputing it right now so let's say indisputable if you like to have facts to back up your positions -- that brain damage can completely change people's personalities, and that lots of NFL players end up with brain damage. So if a guy made it pretty successfully for 10 years in the league but took a bunch of concussions and then totally implodes, CTE has to be considered a likely culprit.

Some of you guys are trying to explain chess to a guy who can’t even grasp checkers. He’s been spewing nonsense for years. Noone is going to change his mind because he “knows things”.

The lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.-Tywin Lannister

#20558 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

A very small percentage of football players have brain damage, that's all that I am saying.

Right. And all of the emerging science on CTE says that what you are saying is incorrect.

#20559 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Some of you guys are trying to explain chess to a guy who can’t even grasp checkers. He’s been spewing nonsense for years. Noone is going to change his mind because he “knows things”.
The lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.-Tywin Lannister

Vic would you say that a guy who beats his wife and then brags and laughs about it has CTE or maybe he's just an asshole? No normal man would do something like that would they? Just curious on what your thoughts are on that? Did you play football in school?

#20561 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Eli Manning retiring!

I'm not surprised at all by this, he should have done it in 2016.

#20562 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I'm not surprised at all by this, he should have done it in 2016.

Yeah, two SB rings and getting up there in age. Might as well get out before an injury takes him out.

#20563 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Not long ago, a linebacker played for the chiefs and did a heinous act: killed his g friend, then later shot himself in front of a coach -think it was Todd Haley at the time..I think Jevon Belcher was only 25..normal people just don’t think/act this way...

...which makes their protection of that scumbag Tyreek Hill that much more puzzling:

Domestic assault conviction
Stillwater police records indicate that on December 12, 2014, Hill was arrested on complaints of assault of his 20-year-old pregnant girlfriend, Crystal Espinal. The police report states that the two got into an argument and he threw her around like a ragdoll, punched her in the face, sat on her and repeatedly punched her in the stomach, and choked her. Oklahoma State dismissed him from the football team after the charges.
Hill eventually pleaded guilty to domestic assault and battery by strangulation and was sentenced to three years of probation.

Then what happened with his son and the broken arm? Yeah, classy organization...

#20564 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Not long ago, a linebacker played for the chiefs and did a heinous act: killed his g friend, then later shot himself in front of a coach -think it was Todd Haley at the time..I think Jevon Belcher was only 25..normal people just don’t think/act this way...

It was Romeo Cornell, and the GM Piolo was there as well, trying to talk Belcher down.

#20565 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

...which makes their protection of that scumbag Tyreek Hill that much more puzzling:
Domestic assault conviction
Stillwater police records indicate that on December 12, 2014, Hill was arrested on complaints of assault of his 20-year-old pregnant girlfriend, Crystal Espinal. The police report states that the two got into an argument and he threw her around like a ragdoll, punched her in the face, sat on her and repeatedly punched her in the stomach, and choked her. Oklahoma State dismissed him from the football team after the charges.
Hill eventually pleaded guilty to domestic assault and battery by strangulation and was sentenced to three years of probation.
Then what happened with his son and the broken arm? Yeah, classy organization...

And you don’t think Belichick and the Patriots knew anything of Aaron Hernandez and his problems? The better the player you are, the more they will put up with it. It’s just a fact of life. Same goes for entertainment, and business.

#20566 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

And you don’t think Belichick and the Patriots knew anything of Aaron Hernandez and his problems? The better the player you are, the more they will put up with it. It’s just a fact of life. Same goes for entertainment, and business.

So now you're saying the Patriots knew Hernandez murdered 3 people and kept him on board? That's the hill you want to defend?

I've seen some disgusting posts in this thread but this is by far the worst.

#20567 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

So now you're saying the Patriots knew Hernandez murdered 3 people and kept him on board? That's the hill you want to defend?

I mean the Pats learned their lesson right? Then sign AB after the Oak fiasco, Rub and Tug in SoFL?

#20568 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

bwawawa

#20569 4 years ago

I thought we got rid of the trolls!

#20570 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I mean the Pats learned their lesson right? Then sign AB after the Oak fiasco, Rub and Tug in SoFL?

When the allegations of sexual assault came out they cut him almost immediately. Try again..

#20571 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

No I don't think he knew that he killed 3 people....nor did he know he was hanging out with a bunch of drug dealers

#20572 4 years ago

Deleted by poster

#20573 4 years ago

AB was unstable at the start of his pro career too... not just now. It's just more extreme and in the open now. I think the guy is just straight up bi polar or something far worse and without the bubble around him now its just spiraling down.

When you listen to him 'discuss' things, it's like a child... like he never had to be an adult.

#20574 4 years ago

What???
I believe u meant to ref someone other than Whysnow. He doesnt post that type of stuff.

#20575 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:So now you're saying the Patriots knew Hernandez murdered 3 people and kept him on board? That's the hill you want to defend?

Oh please, save your Righteous indignation. That’s not at all what I’m saying.

Quoted from PtownPin:

No I don't think he knew that he killed 3 people....nor did he know he was hanging out with a bunch of drug dealers

No, of course not. I was referring to the well known issues he had while playing at the University of Florida. One being severely beating a bartender who tried to get Hernandez to pay his bar tab. Hernandez was a first round talent who was passed over by every team until the Patriots scooped him up in the 4th round.

#20576 4 years ago

Another Patriot arrested on drug possession. Joejuan Williams CB was pulled over and found in possession of prescription drugs without prescription, other drugs (not named) and drug paraphernalia items. I hope this is not just another pot bust, I figure the script drugs were probably pain killers.

#20577 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Another Patriot arrested on drug possession. Joejuan Williams CB was pulled over and found in possession of prescription drugs without prescription, other drugs (not named) and drug paraphernalia items. I hope this is not just another pot bust, I figure the script drugs were probably pain killers.

Well RW what do you expect, the guy has CTE for God sakes! Im sure he was an outstanding individual until he started playing football and got CTE.

#20578 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

No, of course not. I was referring to the well known issues he had while playing at the University of Florida. One being severely beating a bartender who tried to get Hernandez to pay his bar tab. Hernandez was a first round talent who was passed over by every team until the Patriots scooped him up in the 4th round.

I've discussed the vaunted "patriot way" and how it's kind of a bunch of bullshit. They have what, one successful reclamation project in Randy Moss? I can think of plenty of misses, Albert Haynesworth, AB, Josh Gordon, and of course Hernandez. Other teams would have been crucified for making these moves.

#20579 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

What???
I believe u meant to ref someone other than Whysnow. He doesnt post that type of stuff.

Good call, I meant to call out Who-dey, not Whysnow. My apologies to Whysnow, who has never posted anything racist. With Who-dey, every post toes the line...

Deleting post now.

#20580 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Oh please, save your Righteous indignation. That’s not at all what I’m saying.

Its probably why he dropped so far in the draft. That being said its not uncommon that an NFL team takes a risk on a young athlete with a lot of potential. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Its happened hundreds of times in the NFL

#20581 4 years ago

Anyone start a GoFundMe yet for AB's bail?

#20582 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Anyone start a GoFundMe yet for AB's bail?

Not sure it’s going to help, they’re saying no bond

#20583 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Good call, I meant to call out Who-dey, not Whysnow. My apologies to Whysnow, who has never posted anything racist. With Who-dey, every post toes the line...
Deleting post now.

Lol did you ever play football? You might have CTE too!

#20584 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Deleting post now.

I agree.. his posts are just trolling and really don't add much to the conversation. I see him joining his buddy from Chicago soon.

#20585 4 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I agree.. his posts are just trolling and really don't add much to the conversation. I see him joining his buddy from Chicago soon.

Now I don't know whether you're referring to Whysnow or Who-Dey.

#20586 4 years ago

Pro Bowl this weekend... I'll be at a kid's birthday party, so it's actually perfect for that. It's something to watch, but nothing I'll be upset about if I miss or someone's talking over it. I would have it on at home, but it would probably get less attention in that setting.

Is there a skills challenge this year? I think I remember them doing something last year.

#20587 4 years ago

Pro Bowl this weekend... I'll be at a kid's birthday party, so it's actually perfect for that. It's something to watch, but nothing I'll be upset about if I miss or someone's talking over it. I would have it on at home, but it would probably get less attention in that setting.
Is there a skills challenge this year? I think I remember them doing something last year.

Skills is tonight @ 8.

used to love the pro bowl but moving it ahead of SB is dumb.

#20588 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've discussed the vaunted "patriot way" and how it's kind of a bunch of bullshit. They have what, one successful reclamation project in Randy Moss? I can think of plenty of misses, Albert Haynesworth, AB, Josh Gordon, and of course Hernandez. Other teams would have been crucified for making these moves.

"Just win, baby!" - Al Davis

That's all anyone cares about...and the patriots have done a lot of winning the last decade.

#20589 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Skills is tonight @ 8.

The pro bowl is a total joke now. They dont even play hard anymore like they used to. They really shouldn't even play the game and just have like an all madden team and a skills competition or something like that.

#20590 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I also liked it in Hawaii. Something about seeing that sort of a place in HD during 3 months of gray makes me feel a little better. I know it's still in a warm weather place, but nothing really compares to the idea of HI when you're stuck under a foot of snow.

#20591 4 years ago

I also liked it in Hawaii. Something about seeing that sort of a place in HD during 3 months of gray makes me feel a little better. I know it's still in a warm weather place, but nothing really compares to the idea of HI when you're stuck under a foot of snow.

I totally agree, but only 3 months If it makes you feel any better you can live in Seattle and get 9 months of grey

#20592 4 years ago

Sadly the pro bowl has regressed to just a dog and pony show.

#20593 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Even a dog and pony play harder. It’s more like a slug and sloth show

#20594 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

It's just not a sport that gives itself to an all star game.

Nobody in their right mind would want to get hurt at an end of season exhibition. It's been said before but they should just get rid of the game.

#20595 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The pro bowl is a total joke now. They dont even play hard anymore like they used to. They really shouldn't even play the game and just have like an all madden team and a skills competition or something like that.

Quoted from RWH:

Quoted from JayDee:

Even a dog and pony play harder. It’s more like a slug and sloth show

How do you think they used to motivate players to actually try in the pro bowl? Did they have a larger cash payout vs NFL salaries at the time? There must have been something, it's hard to imagine players in the 80s just too foolish to realize they were risking injury for zero gain.

#20596 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

How do you think they used to motivate players to actually try in the pro bowl? Did they have a larger cash payout vs NFL salaries at the time? There must have been something, it's hard to imagine players in the 80s just too foolish to realize they were risking injury for zero gain.

Those players back then took real pride in the game and their skills, this how.

#20597 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I think they always played like they were made of glass. But since the game has evolved into faster and more intense gameplay, the fact that they are taking it easy is magnified

#20598 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

I think they always played like they were made of glass. But since the game has evolved into faster and more intense gameplay, the fact that they are taking it easy is magnified

That makes more sense to me. You'd think the teams would want to scrap the Pro Bowl too, to avoid having their players hurt in a meaningless game. But if everyone's slow walking it, maybe there's no real threat of injury anyway.

#20599 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

That makes more sense to me. You'd think the teams would want to scrap the Pro Bowl too, to avoid having their players hurt in a meaningless game. But if everyone's slow walking it, maybe there's no real threat of injury anyway.

I agree it should be discontinued. The game itself. They even change a lot of the rules so it’s not really the same anyway. Keep the skills competition and even expand on them. Maybe some battle of the network stars type of events

#20600 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

I agree it should be discontinued. The game itself. They even change a lot of the rules so it’s not really the same anyway. Keep the skills competition and even expand on them. Maybe some battle of the network stars type of events

Sure, or a cook-off and 4H exhibition (I know Von Miller can't be the only guy in the league raising prize-winning chickens)! People hungry for NFL action and waiting for the Super Bowl will probably tune in for pretty much anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cupertino, CA
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 75,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 412 of 1,516.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-official-2013-2014-nfl-thread/page/412 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.